Ready Player Bouncer

Okay, so I'm finishing up my degree with an internship starting in May.

So moving my life 90% out of my current apartment to my step dad's to work within a management section of a county level of Rec and Park. A huge level up on what I was looking for. 

So behind the scenes of this challenge is shifting my life fully from being a student to a full time employee. 

I felt the best term was "getting ready".

tye sheridan GIF by Ready Player One

But the challenge itself will be simpler, finding 3 basic goals I can keep up with and grow on for rest of the year. 

Fitness: 5 minutes of movement every day.

Working Out Tye Sheridan GIF by Ready Player One

There is no excuses, just having a daily workout reframes how I view things. 

Its Spring here so no more slick ice even if it snows. I own Ring Fit now, and at 6 out of 30 difficulty, so no excuses on strengthening up either. 

Nutrition: Follow the guideline 90% of the time, no two in a row. 

key GIF by Ready Player One

I'm starting to work with a Naturopath after finally saying enough with my cycle symptoms (symptoms were put in max as I was losing weight the last 2 challenges).

I'm currently doing a gut reset until April 16th, then doing something more my hormones. I'm avoiding sugar, flour and sweetners to help my blood sugar. No dairy due to my gut. Making sugar I eat my veggies, plus more. 

Life: Meditate Daily

hair GIF by Ready Player One

One guided meditation a day to make sure I'm grounded and able to deal the world around me. Especially as many unknowns are coming up. 

With all of these I tend to have a side effect of feeling better and losing weight. I'm now at 284. I've lost 16 lbs since January (whoot!)

I will be a part of the PVP for the goal to lose 6lbs in this challenge and the next. 

So weightloss goal is to get to 278 by the end of this challenge! 

• Like 5

Personfied/Comissioned Druid Avatar by EzratheButt

4 hours ago, Fairly_Bouncer said:

Okay, so I'm finishing up my degree with an internship starting in May.

OMG congrats!!

4 hours ago, Fairly_Bouncer said:

I've lost 16 lbs since January (whoot!)

Awesome job!

• Thanks 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - cute is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

5 hours ago, Teros said:

Congrats on all fronts :)

Hell YES! - FUCK YES BABY | Meme Generator 

3 hours ago, RES said:

OMG congrats!!

Awesome job!

Thank you both!

Monday and Tuesday I hit most of my goals. 

I maybe had bought donut dogs over the weekend and maybe ate a few on Monday. Though after a workout feeling the bloat and heart burn they were thrown out for good.

Only other not quite on track I'm eating is Jif natural peanut butter will be changing that to almond butter soon. 

I both exercises were me doing Ring Fit, yesterday was one tough round with heart burn. Today was ending 16 mins of "active time" in an hour. Where I just wanted to play the game bit was a little worried I pushed past a point. No strains, but tomorrow is a walking say to rest up. 

This game literally had me do squats and planks in an amount I haven't been able to do on my own.

• Like 3

Tw: Binge eating

Spoiler

Also I beat the my desire to truly binge eat. Sunday had an incident that triggered me hard core (mental illness similar to what my father had), I literally just wanted to eat so much junk food to get a high. 

I did end up:

-Eating a bunch of trail mix  and coke zero when I stayed at my stepdads for a safe place to be. I however did pour the mix in a bowl and measured out lightly, knowing I was eating 2-3 servings at a time. Had candies in it however it was an upgrade from my McDonalds craving.

- later going to taco bell where did have a large drink with 1 taco after midnight 

-And the corn dogs on Monday

It's a win because I ended up tying it down, though today was a struggle with no extras. But the apartment is clean from any trigger food which helped

• Like 4

Today I'm thankful for Whole30 soups... realizing making food sometimes involves just hanging out in the kitchen to find something to work.

Also my mom commented 3 times that I guess my large belly has shrunk and she could tell the difference. Keeping on!

Sugar cravings have striked me a bit. 

Can see how "gut detoxes" are seen as a "weight loss shortcut". But I'm planning on keeping on as I reconfigure my brain on what everyday food looks like.

Going to do a meditation in my car before work to keep it a 100% goals day.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Fairly_Bouncer said:

Today I'm thankful for Whole30 soups... realizing making food sometimes involves just hanging out in the kitchen to find something to work.

I tend to find one or two items to clean... it accumulates over time and makes for a nicer kitchen. :) 

And you were difficult to find! No tags this time?

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

39 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

@Fairly_Bouncer I added your Druid tag, hope this was okay?

• Thanks 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - cute is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

5 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I tend to find one or two items to clean... it accumulates over time and makes for a nicer kitchen. :) 

Aww that's an idea! May use it for the next month.

I blame I still have brain fog for not doing the usual. First the processed foods, sugar and even now caffine is falling off my diet. It's a good thing, bit been forgetting things. 

4 hours ago, RES said:

@Fairly_Bouncer I added your Druid tag, hope this was okay?

Thank you! Seems to fit my goals. 

Btw yesterday I didn't meditate... whoops. Working on back on track. 

Fighting the "new brain" thinking on trying to do one thing at a time. Was able to communicate to get my exact start date. 

April 26th is my start day. 1 month count down! Whoot! Or approx. 

I feel like I'm doing baby steps daily, with many naps. But I am perking up. Thankful I'm doing my diet changes now. 

Going to steal a challenge go from years back from @Chris-Tien Jinn. Making cold lunches for home. She did bento bit honestly I'm wrapping my head around my food goals with enough food but easy. 

I honestly am missing cold meat sandwiches today. 

So am hoping to start next week on preparing 5 cold lunches a week and trying them out. Bonus if I figure our snacks. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Fairly_Bouncer said:

Going to steal a challenge go from years back from @Chris-Tien Jinn. Making cold lunches for home. She did bento bit honestly I'm wrapping my head around my food goals with enough food but easy. 

As a former bento-er (currently working from home, thus former), bento actually makes it a bit easier to make cold lunches if, for some reason, you can't do the default "sandwich, apple, chips/pretzels" packed lunch. You start thinking of lunches as interchangeable units of food that can be swapped according to what's in the fridge: I need one cheese unit, two veggie units, one nut unit, and a large salad or leftover unit.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 3/26/2021 at 5:44 PM, sarakingdom said:

As a former bento-er (currently working from home, thus former), bento actually makes it a bit easier to make cold lunches if, for some reason, you can't do the default "sandwich, apple, chips/pretzels" packed lunch. You start thinking of lunches as interchangeable units of food that can be swapped according to what's in the fridge: I need one cheese unit, two veggie units, one nut unit, and a large salad or leftover unit.

200.gif

Thank you for sharing what you did!

I personally wish I could find a workshop on how to use "one's stables" or even a meal plan... 

You have me thinking on having to trial what I need. 

I have to ask is that your main lunch or is that also snacks?

On 3/27/2021 at 10:55 AM, DoubleTrouble said:

Here! What kind of things does the job entail?

Hi! Glad to have you here :)

Okay I actually sat down and did a paper work that I was procrastinating on that literally just had me read through the job description. 

So here's the snippit and will spoiler the jobs they listed for examples: 

"Park Services Interns are given the opportunity to learn how seasonal administrative and management operations are run at a busy County park. 

As an intern you will gain knowledge while working alongside the Park Services Coordinator, providing support while performing essential duties and responsibilities."

Spoiler

Work hands on in Park Services operations.
Help schedule and train seasonal staff.
Schedule campground reservations and assist with reservation management and campground retail operations.
Assist with coordination of program and facility marketing, outreach and participation in community events.
Document and inform supervisor of any maintenance, safety or general facility issues or concerns.
Assist with supervision of campground and gatehouse operations, including opening and closing of seasonal facilities.
Review shift reports and assist with accounting and supervision of cash handling procedures.
Assist with implementation and administration of campground educational and entertainment programming.
Complete all required coursework as assigned by respective college or university.

And after messaging with the messenger he brought up it being BUSY (the park was full with visitors the one Saturday I visted) and I will definetly be learning how to deal with chaos and campgrounds this year. Since the restrictions were high last summer, and when people did go camping there were stories I heard....

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fairly_Bouncer said:

I personally wish I could find a workshop on how to use "one's stables" or even a meal plan... 

In Japan, bento have expected ratios of rice to vegetable to protein dish. (They sell bento boxes based prominently on volume, with the expectation that there's a predictable calorie content per volume. Bento are expected to be packed very tightly, with no room for things to shift in transit, so if you have a size and a standard ratio of the contents, you can make a pretty decent estimate of what it holds.) Their ratio doesn't fit my macros, so I changed it for me, but if you don't have a macro preference, it might be a place to start. There are also tons of bento blogs out there, most of which are at least moderately health conscious. It doesn't lend itself too well to junk food, due to the size.

17 minutes ago, Fairly_Bouncer said:

I have to ask is that your main lunch or is that also snacks?

I've done both. What changed was the size of the box I took, or sometimes the calorie density of the foods I used to pack it. (I'm low carb, so food can either be very calorie dense, like nuts and cheese, or the opposite, like cucumbers and lettuce. I could exchange the snacks to be what I needed to fuel my day.) For a while, I was using it for everything in a 16 hour day; bottom layer lunch, top layer evening snack.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

4 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

In Japan, bento have expected ratios of rice to vegetable to protein dish. (They sell bento boxes based prominently on volume, with the expectation that there's a predictable calorie content per volume. Bento are expected to be packed very tightly, with no room for things to shift in transit, so if you have a size and a standard ratio of the contents, you can make a pretty decent estimate of what it holds.) Their ratio doesn't fit my macros, so I changed it for me, but if you don't have a macro preference, it might be a place to start. There are also tons of bento blogs out there, most of which are at least moderately health conscious. It doesn't lend itself too well to junk food, due to the size.

Thank you, seems simple but literally your ideas have reminded me to get past a wall I was stumped in. 

I have done very light research I realize now and to me I realize it's something I've always wanted to try. But have usually gave up. 

Definetly need to play with what I will want to eat. 

6 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I've done both. What changed was the size of the box I took, or sometimes the calorie density of the foods I used to pack it. (I'm low carb, so food can either be very calorie dense, like nuts and cheese, or the opposite, like cucumbers and lettuce. I could exchange the snacks to be what I needed to fuel my day.) For a while, I was using it for everything in a 16 hour day; bottom layer lunch, top layer evening snack.

Honestly for this type of talk. It's just an appeal to have a visually appealing food setup. I could very much see like this. 

I may throw questions at you in the future... Idk if anyone else on here has done it. (I honestly don't really have anyone who has the patience to figure out what I need for food). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Bento are expected to be packed very tightly, with no room for things to shift in transit, so if you have a size and a standard ratio of the contents, you can make a pretty decent estimate of what it holds.) Their ratio doesn't fit my macros, so I changed it for me, but if you don't have a macro preference, it might be a place to start. There are also tons of bento blogs out there, most of which are at least moderately health conscious. It doesn't lend itself too well to junk food, due to the size.

This intrigues me... I shall have to research these. Since I have a few months before they make me go back to the office, my over-thinking brain might actually have figured something out by then. 

• Haha 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

2 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

This intrigues me... I shall have to research these. Since I have a few months before they make me go back to the office, my over-thinking brain might actually have figured something out by then. 

high five friend GIF by Ready Player One

Just knowing someone else is also doing stuff helps with my small discussions with myself during food making time... 

• Like 2

So over the week I have come up with additions to my challenge when I was trying to make it small....

Bonus: For when I can dial it up!

-Walking 10k a day. I honestly think I need to be up to 20k for a job, but as I looked through my phone tracker. I've been barely hiting 2k. And I'm already sore after 3k. Bright side I have time to catch up my stamina, upside of being in my 20s still and having extra time to rest despite everything I'm ignoring. Plus its finally SPRING so the trails are calling, and I may buy another pair of sneakers for those days I find myself in the mud. (Muddy shoes do not work when you are a janitor). 

-Make Bento. Let's make cold lunches more fun.  Honestly when I get the idea of what actually to make for meals, I will reward myself with pretty Bento containers! For now $1 containers will do as I figure out how to feed myself. 

-YNAB. Really this should have been a main goal, but its better if I skip YNAB over meditation on my off days. I will be giving myself a $1 reward though and track in YNAB for every day I track. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Fairly_Bouncer said:

-Make Bento. Let's make cold lunches more fun.  Honestly when I get the idea of what actually to make for meals, I will reward myself with pretty Bento containers! For now $1 containers will do as I figure out how to feed myself. 

Do they have to be cold? 

Since I'm impatient I started looking for containers online, and I'm looking for microwaveable ones, because I anticipate using these for leftovers. But now I'm thinking about cold food as well... outside the box!

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

2 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Awesome. They were a necessity for me, because I'm gluten-free, so sandwiches were out, and sticking cheese and carrots in plastic baggies was just depressing, and so orange. So I had to find a way to take an actual meal, and bento is basically the way that's done in non-bread cultures. And then I was commuting with a single bag to carry my whole office around in, and I needed the most compact way to take food for 12-16 hours, and that was bento again. They're very small, but they hold an absolute ton of food if packed well.

1 hour ago, Fairly_Bouncer said:

The most basic thing would be to automatically make some rice, let it cool a bit or overnight, and open the fridge and see what you have. Let's say you make (or have as leftovers) something you usually eat on rice, like chicken and broccoli in some sauce. Or leftover chili. Whatever. Fill the left third with the chicken/chili/etc. Fill the middle third with rice. Smoosh them up together firmly, and get them right to the top. They're not gonna go anywhere.

Then you stare at that third section, sigh, open the fridge again, and start pulling out anything kind of small and vegetably. Grab a carrot and a cucumber, cut off pieces as long as your container is tall, then quarter/eighth them, and stand them on end in that remaining third, packing as densely as you can. Ditto a piece of cheese. Radish slices. Pickles from that open jar. Olives. Some grapes. A couple of strawberries, sliced to pack densely. A few spoonfuls of leftover quinoa salad (easier if you have silicone muffin cups to act as dividers, but not out of the question without - just pack it next to something that will hold it in place or not taste weird at the borders, like cheese or cucumber slices, not grapes). A few slices of that leftover baked sweet potato from Tuesday. Or a new one you microwaved just now for lunches. Whatever. A single roasted Brussels sprout. Any free space? Jam something into it. Stand back and look at it. If it looks like a finished lunch, take one tiny wrapped candy of choice (like, lemon drop sized or Ghiradelli square sized, not mini Snickers sized), and cram it in somewhere, and you're done.

(Bento are generally eaten cold, but it's not a rule. I'd either make it all microwaveable, or use silicone muffin cup dividers to lift out while sections of things you want to stay unheated before you microwave.)

Now let's say it's the week after Thanksgiving. Boy, do you have leftovers. The left quarter is turkey. The next third is split between stuffing and mashed potatoes. Smoosh 'em all in tight. Fill the rest in with all your green bean casserole and fancy roasted root vegetables and whatever, ditto on the smooshing and tightness and up-to-the-topness, leaving a 2x2 square in one corner. Cut a piece of pumpkin pie, then make it two triangles that combine to make a 2x2 square, and jam it into that last spot. Find a place to drop some cranberry sauce. Done.

Now let's say you're uninspired and have no leftovers. Well, Lunchables are a bento. Stack of crackers. Stack of cheese. Stack of ham. That's about half. Then you go for anything you'd put on a charcuterie board. Grapes, radishes, olives, pieces of lettuce, nuts, dried apricots, whatever. Just pack densely. (This one is definitely easier with the muffin cups. Just drop in as many as will fit, and fill as densely as possible.)

And that is the basic method of lazy bento. You can get fancy and make stuff for it, but it goes fastest when you just have stuff available to pack into tight spaces. I have been known to go to the store and go, "okay, these are the bento crackers, these are the bento baby carrots, these are the bento grape tomatoes, this is the bento candy garnish, now let's see what's on the list this week". It's also great for using up small amounts of things. Like, literally, a single Brussels sprout seems like big real estate in a bento box, if it's not one of your main dishes. Stuff there's just a few spoonfuls of. Because once you get the main dish in there, you're just looking for lots of little nibbly things and garnishes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Do they have to be cold? 

Since I'm impatient I started looking for containers online, and I'm looking for microwaveable ones, because I anticipate using these for leftovers. But now I'm thinking about cold food as well... outside the box!

No, they don't. They traditionally are, because they're pre-microwave technology, but they don't have to be. If you're buying Japanese bento boxes, do make sure to check microwavability, because more are now, but that didn't used to be the norm, and a lot aren't. There are some actual Japanese boxes on Amazon that are (usually not the lids, though), and aren't too pricy. Ikea has some boxes that interest me, but I'm not allowing myself to buy more bento boxes. The other thing to be aware of is that the majority of Japanese bento boxes don't seal like we're used to with tupperware. Newer ones often do, but a lot have lids that just rest, and you're expected to have some sort of band to hold the whole thing closed. We don't tend to own those bands or have an easy way to get them (though silicone wristbands or silicone hair elastics can be great for that), don't expect the problem, and have foods that are wetter than the traditional Japanese expectation. Western-designed bento boxes are usually aimed at a market that expects tight seals and microwavability and dishwasherability and so on.

I've dealt with the heating a few ways: eat everything cold like a college student, make sure everything is okay with being heated, put the unheated stuff into little muffin cups you can lift out before heating, or get a two-tiered one, where you heat the main dish in one tier, but not the sides/snacks in the other. (I like tiers and cups, because I like stuff organized and modular. But they're not necessary with good packing skills. It involves thinking a little about how you're gonna contain stuff that doesn't contain itself well and how to not make the flavor boundaries too weird.)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Western-designed bento boxes are usually aimed at a market that expects tight seals and microwavability and dishwasherability and so on.

This is what I was looking for. I'm going to think about how I want to use them, and for what kinds of food, before I make a buying decision though. 

Reading your previous post now... and I do have a tendency to accumulate disturbingly large amounts of leftover rice.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

5 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Reading your previous post now... and I do have a tendency to accumulate disturbingly large amounts of leftover rice.

Rice is totally optional. I very rarely use it. But, hey, sometimes the classics are worth starting with while finding your own style. And if you have it leftover already, that's perfect for repurposing. If it gets a little dry in the fridge, stir-fry it with something to make a pilaf or fried rice or Spanish rice or whatever, and shove it in.

Will be caught up today but had to share this. My 11 am bento box before I go on a walk:

20210329_114853.thumb.jpg.d50b63b6e1533c3ce49bd42193f285a0.jpg

Base is "beer chicken" seasoned carrots that have been forgotten.  Main protein is canned tuna salad underneath a bell pepper. Pepperconi peppers and Greek olives for extra yum. A part of a blood orange for fruit. 

Yes I bought a bento box... I had to run to the store and had a hard time not leaving without candy. So I grabbed one of the last boxes they had at the store instead. I had fun today after rereading over @Sarakingdom's advice. 

I honestly didn't think I had much until I went through the fridge. 

@Scaly Freak The box is from Target and is dishwasher and microwave safe. Ironically my microwave decided to break this morning.... so an excuse to keep to cold lunches.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Fairly_Bouncer said:

20210329_114853.thumb.jpg.d50b63b6e1533c3ce49bd42193f285a0.jpg

Base is "beer chicken" seasoned carrots that have been forgotten.  Main protein is canned tuna salad underneath a bell pepper. Pepperconi peppers and Greek olives for extra yum. A part of a blood orange for fruit. 

Yes I bought a bento box... I had to run to the store and had a hard time not leaving without candy. So I grabbed one of the last boxes they had at the store instead. I had fun today after rereading over @Sarakingdom's advice. 

I honestly didn't think I had much until I went through the fridge.

That is an awesome bento lunch. It's amazing how you always find stuff in the fridge to make an interesting bento when you though you had nothing. And how organising it like that and having variety and color makes it seem like a real, planned meal.

If you're finding you're low on calories or snacks there, I think you could squeeze 30% more into the non-tuna sections. Like maybe some almonds or trail mix in the spaces around your orange, and stacking/tight-packing your pickle section to allow for some radish or grape tomato or some cheese/pepperoni. Or even put the olives in the gaps between the bell pepper and make a lot of room for cheese and pepperoni - I think at least 5-6 of your 7 olives would fit there. (Lettuce lying on the carrots for tuna lettuce wraps?) If that's enough food, don't bother, it's perfect. But you can always tetris in a bit more, if you need to get a little more in.

I don't know if that box comes with a utensil holder built in, but there are travel chopsticks out there that break down to a small size and would definitely fit in that box.

• Like 1