[Mad Hatter] All or Nothing

Guys, last challenge was a wreck and I now officially give up on the lies ideas of "life balance" and "moderation" and "self control". I spent a week in a gaming haze so thick I forgot about basic human functioning. 🙈 And the last two weeks I've been frying out my brain at work so thoroughly all I've had energy to do is watch movies and scroll on my phone... I don't understand why I keep doing this to myself, yet here we are. Again.

I don't know how to solve the work problem, hopefully it will go away on its own as I get more minions involved. As for the other stuff, I'm going to completely outsource self control to technology and basically ban nearly all media, in the hope that boredom will take over and make me do stuff. Might sound a tad drastic, but clearly I refuse to do as I'm told, even if it's me doing the telling, and this is the simplest solution. 😛 

That's the main challenge. I have a few other side quests, but if I end up taking a different direction that's totally cool too. 😄

Side quest #1 Tackle the list of Ick. 

The one that I've been procrastinating for anything from 1 month to 2 years. It includes calling the tax office. And shopping

Side quest #2 Get back my flexy

Because I'm jealous of my past self's flexiness and my ego wants it back.

Side quest #3 Art

My aim is to at least DOUBLE the amount I drew last challenge.

It was once. Yeah. 😜

• Like 11

Social media and technology can be so hard to moderate. Sometimes it's just easier to not even start. Here to support you.

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

35 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

As for the other stuff, I'm going to completely outsource self control to technology and basically ban nearly all media, in the hope that boredom will take over and make me do stuff. Might sound a tad drastic, but clearly I refuse to do as I'm told, even if it's me doing the telling, and this is the simplest solution. 😛 

It's worth the experiment, regardless, right? Good set of data points to have.

I sometimes consider more digital detox. It's hard when that's what you do professionally. (Not the media, but, staying off screens and so on.)

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I find that it's easier to work towards digital minimalism if  I treat the screen as a non-issue and the thing I do on the screen device as the problem. My eReader has nothing but books that I enjoy reading for example, so that is not a problem. My phone can be a problem, because social media apps, but it also has the apps that talk to my friends and family so I just need to find a way to stop the former while continuing the latter.

It would be easier if turning off screen devices was the solution to the problem, but doing that gets rid of positive things that soothe The Flame, so the battle continues

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Because I'm jealous of my past self's flexiness and my ego wants it back.

It seems there are bunch of us pretending to work on flexibility this challenge, welcome to the club :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

48 minutes ago, Alanna said:

I've been restricting my website access a lot recently, too, using Cold Turkey - it really helps, especially when I absentmindedly type time-suck websites into the url. 

I would love to see what you draw if you don't mind sharing your artwork on here!

Seconding Cold Turkey! It works really well — you can’t sneak around it like some other blockers, and its little icon is cute. Also joining the “please share art” train! 

14 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

The one that I've been procrastinating for anything from 1 month to 2 years. It includes calling the tax office. And shopping

Oh, those are both very icky. Can you make them easier by visualising what a successful cross-off would be (like, have 2 pairs of jeans, 2 new hoodies and 5 new T-shirts)? Or do you just need the courage and reward yourself afterwards with icecream?

18 hours ago, PaulG said:

woooo 100% increase!

Here for it.

Setting the bar high. 🤣

18 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Social media and technology can be so hard to moderate. Sometimes it's just easier to not even start. Here to support you.

Yep, and we all how good I am at moderation. 🙈 Thank you, always appreciate it. 😊

17 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

It's worth the experiment, regardless, right? Good set of data points to have.

I've ran this experiment before, and what I found was that I do in fact enjoy the occasional scrolling for a dose of inspiration. And I do love my animated movies. 😄 But I need the habit of always reaching for the easiest possible stimulus to die down a bit.

17 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I sometimes consider more digital detox. It's hard when that's what you do professionally. (Not the media, but, staying off screens and so on.)

+

17 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I find that it's easier to work towards digital minimalism if  I treat the screen as a non-issue and the thing I do on the screen device as the problem. My eReader has nothing but books that I enjoy reading for example, so that is not a problem. My phone can be a problem, because social media apps, but it also has the apps that talk to my friends and family so I just need to find a way to stop the former while continuing the latter.

It would be easier if turning off screen devices was the solution to the problem, but doing that gets rid of positive things that soothe The Flame, so the battle continues

I agree, and I'm not even too fussed about screens right now. Not that I'm not spending all my days in front of one, but even if I replace one bad screen habit my (hopefully) substitute habits are not any better. E.g. iPad screen vs phone. 😛 

And as you say, I also depend on my phone for a lot of things. Chatting with friends and family yes, but also for alarms and reminders, grocery lists, public transport tickets, google maps, bank errands, 2FA for work...

15 hours ago, sylph said:

Here for this, ofc. ❤️

Yay 🥰

11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

It seems there are bunch of us pretending to work on flexibility this challenge, welcome to the club :P 

HAH! I'm working on my excuse list already. 😛 

7 hours ago, Harriet said:

All righty. I am excited about the two art makings. I hope the digital ban works well for you--let us know what happens!

Me too! 😄 And will do, oc.

6 hours ago, Alanna said:

Good luck with your challenge! I've been restricting my website access a lot recently, too, using Cold Turkey - it really helps, especially when I absentmindedly type time-suck websites into the url. 

I would love to see what you draw if you don't mind sharing your artwork on here!

+

5 hours ago, Sparkle the Bold said:

Seconding Cold Turkey! It works really well — you can’t sneak around it like some other blockers, and its little icon is cute. Also joining the “please share art” train! 

I've been using Freedom for a few years now, it's been working really well for me! I like that I can have separate schedules for my phone and my browser, and it has a hardcore mode where you have to phone them to unblock a schedule. (Well, if I ever got to that point I would dig around the system, I bet it's not very hard to undo. But since it reminds me too much of work, I have no interest in trying haha.)

And I will absolutely share art things here! On the rare occasion I do draw I try to indiscernibly post in order to get out of the "hiding my art until it gets good enough, i.e. never"-trap. 😛 

Oh and hiiii and welcome! 😄

4 hours ago, Waanie said:

Oh, those are both very icky. Can you make them easier by visualising what a successful cross-off would be (like, have 2 pairs of jeans, 2 new hoodies and 5 new T-shirts)? Or do you just need the courage and reward yourself afterwards with icecream?

Uggh it's not even courage that's required, I just suffer from MASSIVE don't wannas! The only reward I can think of is that of finally being able to cross it off the list...

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Uggh it's not even courage that's required, I just suffer from MASSIVE don't wannas! The only reward I can think of is that of finally being able to cross it off the list...

Is this clothes shopping we’re talking about, or something more fun?

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

Glad the challenge hasn't started yet, because... oops I did it again. 😄 There was a relentless stream of things going on at work and notifications are like crack. 😛 But also meetings, and lots of braining. On the plus side, I did remember to eat lunch! On the bad side, I burnt the toast I meant to eat and got sad and coming up with an alternative was... not an option. But on the other plus side haha, I managed to catch the only brief glimpse of sun this morning. Yay me for putting on pants!

I guess that part of what's happening at work is me wanting to be in control and ahead of the project I'm leading, while the questions (both internal and external, relevant and irrelevant) are streaming in. I still don't know what my job actually is, or what I'm supposed to do, so for now I've decided to go with the approach of trying to streamline things as much as possible for everyone involved. But there's an overwhelming amount of detail, thoughts keep popping up when I don't want them and I have to write them all down straight away because otherwise I will 100% forget. Still, I think I'm doing ok and hitting my stride! So far I have to say that it was a good decision to take on this new role, if for no other reason that my social interactions have way increased. It's been really nice to chit chat with new people, and to interact with old colleagues I haven't spoken to since basically the start of lockdown. 

These long days are still a problem though, because they reeeaally fry my brain...

• Like 8

Yay for increased art Goals! I also look forward to seeing the finished product. ☺️ I believe art/crafts are  important for the soul.

I hope you get clarity on work stuff soon! And yay for coworker interactions! If this pandemic has taught me anything, it's that even the most introverted person (me lol) does need to interact with people eventually.

Following! Or lurking at least.... Trying to get better at forums. ☺️

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast.

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

I've been using Freedom for a few years now, it's been working really well for me! I like that I can have separate schedules for my phone and my browser, and it has a hardcore mode where you have to phone them to unblock a schedule. (Well, if I ever got to that point I would dig around the system, I bet it's not very hard to undo. But since it reminds me too much of work, I have no interest in trying haha.)

I think I used to use Freedom too, way back when it had a free version! I'm considering whether to invest in something that allows me to set a schedule - right now I just block things for long amounts of time, which is coarse but effective 😂

Clothes shopping is super frustrating - it's something that I haven't missed this past year (except for charity shop scavenging, perhaps). Can you get something that you want to buy (e.g., for working out, or a cool accessory) at the same time to ease the pain somewhat?

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3

Supple Lioness Mobility

15 minutes ago, MezzotheLefty said:

I believe art/crafts are  important for the soul.

I do too, but I have a lot of weird hangups that make me forget...

I hope you get clarity on work stuff soon! And yay for coworker interactions! If this pandemic has taught me anything, it's that even the most introverted person (me lol) does need to interact with people eventually.

Thanks! I'm not sure if I'll ever get clarity, I tried to ask my boss a once or twice, but he's reply was basically "build your own adventure". 😛 Pretty sure he doesn't know either haha. But it's ok, I'll just keep doing what I think should be done and hope it's the right thing.

And yeaah, I used to consider myself a complete introvert - it was quite a shocker to discover that I'm much further on the extrovert side of the spectrum than expected! I need to remember that once we're back to "normal".

Following! Or lurking at least.... Trying to get better at forums. ☺️

It's all good, whatever works for you! Just glad to have you here. 😊

6 minutes ago, Alanna said:

I think I used to use Freedom too, way back when it had a free version! I'm considering whether to invest in something that allows me to set a schedule - right now I just block things for long amounts of time, which is coarse but effective 😂

I'll admit, for me it was a very particular use case, to block online puzzles. The closest thing to permanently blocking them was to set a schedule that's only open for 5 minutes once a week, at 4am. 😅 And it allows me to create block lists, so every time I get sneaky and find a new website I can just add it. Yes, I have a problem haha.

9 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Clothes shopping is super frustrating - it's something that I haven't missed this past year (except for charity shop scavenging, perhaps). Can you get something that you want to buy (e.g., for working out, or a cool accessory) at the same time to ease the pain somewhat?

Perhaps, but right now it seems like even MORE effort because I'd have to look for even more things! 😄 Maybe I'll feel differently on the day!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'll admit, for me it was a very particular use case, to block online puzzles. The closest thing to permanently blocking them was to set a schedule that's only open for 5 minutes once a week, at 4am. 😅 And it allows me to create block lists, so every time I get sneaky and find a new website I can just add it. Yes, I have a problem haha.

Perhaps, but right now it seems like even MORE effort because I'd have to look for even more things! 😄 Maybe I'll feel differently on the day!

Haha, that is more interesting than most internet addictions! Very off topic, but do you have any puzzle websites that you'd recommend? My partner really likes puzzles - he mostly does ones that involve coding these days, but I think he'd like any sort of brain puzzles. 

Fair - better to keep the task as simple as possible! But if anything spontaneously catches your eye, I'd say...

treat yourself parks and recreation GIF

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3

Supple Lioness Mobility