Epsilonte - planks, weights and... running?!?

Hello everybody!!

With this challenge, I want to keep it nice, simple and small, since live is rather stressful right now and I just get sad if I can't make my goals... xD 

So I'm doing some mini habits. 

1. Planking every day - it's a school challenge, we "have to" plank every day in weekly 15 sec increments, so last week was 45 secs, this week is a minute, next week will be 1:15 and so on. Fast, easy (hahahaha let's talk about easy in a few weeks...), should be doable. :D 

2. Adding some muscle twice a week - the mister is getting some free weights for his birthday next week, so home gym will be opened soon. :D Also it's another school challenge, our teacher wants us to bench press 35kg at the end of the semester (I'm pretty sure I could do this already, but I want to smash it :P ), so I need to train for that. :D 

3. Running twice a week - I hate running. But somehow I tried it (again, school made me do it. Not a challenge, but just learning about how awesome cardio is and how good it is for your health and stuff) and it wasn't that bad so I might want to explore this some more. :) Also we have a school sports week in June and I'm very afraid of it because my endurance is so weak... xD 

Bonus: the Minichallenge. If there remains time, I want to participate because I need this. xD

So: all external challenges. :)

I will still try to stretch and dance and pole and stuff when there is time, but I won't be mad at myself if it doesn't happen. 

A few minutes every day and half an hour four times a week should be doable. Maybe. I hope. :D We will see. 

• Like 4

Challenges: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12, 13, 1415

Current status:

Whew, this week is quite something. xD Long days, exam on friday, I feel like the Bunny from Alice in Wonderland running around thinking "I'm late!!!" because I really just jump around from one thing to the next... xD 

I have been doing my planks (today we did them together at school during lunch break while listening to Eye of the Tiger, that really helped :D ). No running so far this week because I didn't really have the time/energy. Did take a longer walk though yesterday, that's also ok. Low impact cardio is still cardio. :P No muscle stuff yet (except if we count Monday, where we learned how to do correct bench presses (and other things) and spent a total of four hours at the gym - I'm still sore from Monday. xD), since we don't have the weights yet, but it's zero week so who cares. :P 

Also I did two bellydancing classes on Monday (not raising my arms as nicely as usually because they were so tired from school xD) and those were very nice. :) 

The remaining week will stay a bit more intense, but the next days (or rather evenings) are also filled with stuff I love (aka lots of dancing) and not just working and learning, so I'm looking forward to it. 

Don't know if I'll be able to do at least one run this week (maybe Saturday in the morning?), but again, it's zero week, so it's fine. Planking should be possible every day. :)  And next week will be a bit more relaxed. :D 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PaulG said:

Following, despite your sympathy for this dangerous and perverse movement among the Assassins you call “running.”

Yeah I'm still not sure how I think of it... 

But I need to train it to blend in with my fellow students who are all faster than me? To assassinate someone you have to catch them first... :D :D 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

But I need to train it to blend in with my fellow students who are all faster than me? To assassinate someone you have to catch them first... :D :D 

There's a reason we invented something called "the ambush" ;) 

Sometimes you have to run to get away, though :D 

• Haha 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Running buddy! 😆 I find your logic very sound: assassins need to be able to catch their quarry and escape!

I like to remember Donna from doctor who. She specifically called out how much running is involved being a companion of the doctor. (Can't find a gif of it. 😑) I need to be ready to run away from Cybermen! And zombies, obviously. 😉

Home gym! How exciting!! 

Following as always my friend. ☺️

EPIC Quest (under construction)

18 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Sometimes you have to run to get away, though :D 

No need for escaping if you just KILL THEM ALL! :D 

13 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Exactly! Assassins don't catch prey, the prey comes to us.

I think I'm to big to be sneaky and stealthy... And not patient enough. xD Maybe I should do more meditation stuff again... Hmmmmm....

5 hours ago, MezzotheLefty said:

Following as always my friend. ☺️

So happy to have you here! ❤️ Running buddy!! :D Though I will need some training to get on your level. :D

Today was a very long day. xD No running. For some weird reason also my right knee hurts (started before I got out of bed and has bothered me all day long... I hope it's fine again tomorrow...) and also I didn't have the time.

Started my day at 7:15 with work, then off to school until 18:15, then home and belly dancing class until 21:00 and now I'm dead and trying to unwind a bit before sleeping. Tomorrow will start with an exam... And will be super long again, but mostly because of the dancing. :D 

The class today also REALLY lifted my spirits. I was super tired and a bit meh before but now I'm feeling great again. ❤️ 

Planking was done with my buddies again during our break. 

Now off to bed! Starting with Monday, life will get a tiny bit less stressful for a time. :D I can do this! :) 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MezzotheLefty said:

Good luck on your exam!! 🤞 I hope you get some quality rest ☺️

Thanks!! It was... weird. :D We will see how it turned out... 

13 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

No I don't believe that, you can just climb up a pole and nobody will ever see you - until it's too late!

Oh somehow now I'm picturing a pole dancing Darkwing Duck. Death from above. :D

12 hours ago, deftona said:

Following along for the planking/running/belly dancing funtimes! 

Yay, welcome! 

amy sedaris dancing GIF by truTV’s At Home with Amy Sedaris

Today was... a day. A long one. xD 

I did my planking in the last 5 minutes before the exam started, to calm my nerves. It worked. xD 

Then some working while eating Pizza.

And then off to school.

Now school was REALLY fun today. :D I did a "compulsory optional subject" this semester where we were learning a lot of interesting things about movement and sports for people with disabilities. After two sessions filled with a lot of theoretical input, today we did something more practial... And played some wheelchair basketball (and learned how to get up/down stairs in a wheelchair), did a wheelchair and a blindfolded parcours, blindfolded running (sadly this doesn't really count for the challenge, since it was just a few minutes :P ), all the fun things. And it was really fun, made my day. ❤️ I toppled over once, but landed in a shoulder roll, perfect polegirl style. :P 

It was a great day and now I don't have to freeze in horror if someone in a wheelchair needs help with stairs. xD 

Then I rushed home for my bellydancing class. Today we started with the Viking choreo (tomorrow will be the next session, then we have a month to practice everything xD), and OMG this is going to be amazing! :D The musik is pure love. The choreo is awesome. ❤️ 

Now, again, super tired, but excited for the day tomorrow. More dancing, and then: cake! :D 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Now school was REALLY fun today. :D I did a "compulsory optional subject" this semester where we were learning a lot of interesting things about movement and sports for people with disabilities. After two sessions filled with a lot of theoretical input, today we did something more practial... And played some wheelchair basketball (and learned how to get up/down stairs in a wheelchair), did a wheelchair and a blindfolded parcours, blindfolded running (sadly this doesn't really count for the challenge, since it was just a few minutes :P ), all the fun things. And it was really fun, made my day. ❤️ I toppled over once, but landed in a shoulder roll, perfect polegirl style. :P 

Ooh this sounds really fun and interesting! I believe it'd be cool to have this kind of "step into someone else's shoes" events as part of all school curricula. A few years back we had a work event where we got to experience what it was like to be blind. There was a bar, an art room filled with sculptures we had to grope to guess what they were, a parking lot and crosswalk simulation, and some other stuff. The crosswalk was quite stressful despite knowing that there were no actual cars that could run me over. But it was very enlightening.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

But it was very enlightening.

In the Netherlands, this kind of is, I think? @KB Girl @Waanie ?

At age of around 10-11 we had people with disabilities visit us and do some stuff like that. Being superempathic and a little scientist, I kind of had already tried walking around blind and all that on my own, but I am very happy it is part of the curriculum. (Some of the people had things by birth, some due to accident.)

Then around age 15 we had people visit that had experienced trauma, like very intense fire burns and becoming paralysed from the waist down etc. 

Also yay for fun new experiences as part of your training, Epsilonte! Makes up threefold for the more boring classes you had, I believe ;D

• Like 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ooh this sounds really fun and interesting! I believe it'd be cool to have this kind of "step into someone else's shoes" events as part of all school curricula. A few years back we had a work event where we got to experience what it was like to be blind. There was a bar, an art room filled with sculptures we had to grope to guess what they were, a parking lot and crosswalk simulation, and some other stuff. The crosswalk was quite stressful despite knowing that there were no actual cars that could run me over. But it was very enlightening.

So cool!! I think we have a kind of museum here, where you can experience exactly that. And there is "Dinner in the dark", where you get to eat very nice food in total darkness. xD 

1 hour ago, Athena said:

In the Netherlands, this kind of is, I think?

That's awesome as well!! 

Austria sadly still has a lot to learn in that regard... Most buildings (the old ones especially, but also newer ones) are not very accessible and also the general public has a lot to learn... The lecture part really opened my eyes (haha) in this regard, it's a shame. We also learned a lot about what the health system will pay for and what would be a big upgrade in quality of life for the concerned people - the gist is, if you have an accident where you are left with a permanent disability, do everything to frame it as a work accident (or on the way to work), since the "occupational" health insurance (oh dear, trying to translate this stuff is weird xD I hope you get it xD) pays for nicer protheses and better/longer rehab than the "normal" health insurance company... And that stuff is REALLY expensive if you want the special things to play sports with. 

My first internship this summer will be in a rehab center, so I will probably "have to" use my new knowledge there... I will keep you posted about how this goes. :D 

1 hour ago, Athena said:

Also yay for fun new experiences as part of your training, Epsilonte! Makes up threefold for the more boring classes you had, I believe ;D

Hehe. :D Most of our subjects are really interesting, there are just better and not so great teachers... xD But I can't complain, I really love everything around physio therapy. xD (well maybe except the electro therapy stuff we are doing right now... I don't like how it feels and I also don't really like to treat other people with it... For some injuries it's the best treatment though... )

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Epsilonte said:

Most buildings (the old ones especially, but also newer ones) are not very accessible and also the general public has a lot to learn... The lecture part really opened my eyes (haha) in this regard, it's a shame.

I have been researching a lot recently about the social model of disability which argues people are disabled not by anything stemming from themselves, but from living in a society that doesn't cater to their needs and a world in which many venues, services and terrains are built with able bodies in mind. It's a much better way of viewing disability I think. 

• Like 3

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

1 minute ago, deftona said:

I have been researching a lot recently about the social model of disability which argues people are disabled not by anything stemming from themselves, but from living in a society that doesn't cater to their needs and a world in which many venues, services and terrains are built with able bodies in mind. It's a much better way of viewing disability I think. 

Yes, that's exactly it. Someone IS not disabled, they GET disabled by the surroundings and society. 

Same with the wheel chairs, in german there is the saying that someone is "constricted to a wheel chair", but it's not like that, on the contrary, the wheel chair is a tool for them to use and be mobile and independent. Much like a seeing-eye dog would be for a blind person. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Athena said:

In the Netherlands, this kind of is, I think?

I didn't have any of that, but that might be because anywhere I've lived in my life is 5-10 years behind the west culturally speaking, and I'm a bit older than you. I still learned long division (staartdelingen) and dividing by fractions and stuff like that in primary school, but anything more modern than first aid and traffic lessons was outside the curriculum.

1 hour ago, Epsilonte said:

Same with the wheel chairs, in german there is the saying that someone is "constricted to a wheel chair", but it's not like that, on the contrary, the wheel chair is a tool for them to use and be mobile and independent. Much like a seeing-eye dog would be for a blind person. 

Funnily enough, I heard the same quote on the radio just a few days ago in slightly different wording. Not saying that I wouldn't be upset if I suddenly lost the ability to walk, but without a wheelchair it would be WAAY worse.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

So cool!! I think we have a kind of museum here, where you can experience exactly that. And there is "Dinner in the dark", where you get to eat very nice food in total darkness. xD 

When I was organizing the event this option came up too, the problem is that the very nice food doesn't taste so good in total darkness when you're not visually impaired! Sight is a significant component in how we experience food. So I thought it was a bit of a waste compared to a more complete experience where you only ate something small.

On 3/27/2021 at 4:44 PM, Mad Hatter said:

the problem is that the very nice food doesn't taste so good in total darkness when you're not visually impaired! Sight is a significant component in how we experience food.

Oooooh, I never thought about this (haven't done the Dinner in the Dark myself yet), but it makes total sense... But then, as sighted people, sight is a significant component in every aspect of our life, isn't it? :D

Quick update:

Haven't done anything challenge related in the last two days. But the challenge itself hasn't really started yet, so it's fine. :P 

Saturday: After our neat discussion here, I had another 3 hour bellydance choreography workshop, where we learned the second quarter of the whole choreo. Afterwards we talked about costumes... I want to use the next week to a) practice and b) think about a possible costume. :D The excitement grows!! 

Afterwards the mister and I went to visit his mom, since it will be his birthday next week. We ate a lot of cake and had a lovely afternoon. :) The evening was spent digesting the cake. :P 

No planks, no running, no other muscle training (though I think three hours of bellydancing do count for something, even if I find that more mentally than physically challenging xD).

Sunday: Woke up early after the time change (so: 6:33 new time which means 5:33 old time. WTF xD), but didn't want to get up so early. But I also didn't want to sleep more, since I knew I'd sleep until 11 and feel tired all day... So I did the reasonable thing and looked at my phone for three hours. :P Much better than sleeping... well... xD 

After I got up, we almost spring cleaned the whole flat (I even did some of the windows. Not all of them, yet), then I did a stretching video because I had some time to kill until our guest arrived. Rest of the day was spent playing Carbon 2185... We are at a place now, where it would be possible to either deep dive into the adventure (we kind of have a little robot uprising going on right now. Oops. :D ) or play something completely different and try other pen and paper styles. I'm torn, I really grew to love our characters... But I'm also curious of different things (I didn't play that many rounds before this one - a little bit of DnD, a bit of WoD/Vampire and that's basically it...). For now we agreed to do at least one more session of Carbon (like an epilogue :D ) and then think about how to proceed. 

All in all it was a great weekend with tons of delicious food and lovely people. :)

Now I'm well rested and ready to start the challenge for real. :D Wish me luck for tomorrows run - we want to do THREE rounds in the park instead of the usual two. xD (with walking in between as needed)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

But then, as sighted people, sight is a significant component in every aspect of our life, isn't it? :D

For sure! Though in some cases we do close our eyes in order to enhance other senses - like listening to music or when getting a massage.

8 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Saturday: After our neat discussion here, I had another 3 hour bellydance choreography workshop, where we learned the second quarter of the whole choreo. Afterwards we talked about costumes... I want to use the next week to a) practice and b) think about a possible costume. :D The excitement grows!! 

SO EXCITING!

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

like listening to music or when getting a massage.

Or both at the same time... :D 

1 hour ago, MezzotheLefty said:

Yummy cake and good role playing game times. Sounds like a fantastic weekend! 

Oh it was. :D Really enjoyed it. :)  

Didn't go for a run yet, but we will do so soon. :) It was a super nice and sunny day, so it's better to go in the evening when there aren't that many annoying people around (what are they all doing in MY park?? :D ). 

So far, today I did:

- go out and buy some working clothes for my internship in Summer. Feels very professional. I'm ready now to treat real patients. At least looks wise. :P 

- meet up with a few classmates for a group project, took us three hours, but we managed to do a lot, I'm quite pleased in that regard. 

- walked on my way home in the sunshine, so at least I already did my steps for the day

- filled out some forms and wrote a nice e-mail to the italian embassy. I need some documents. For a yet secret plan (that I can totally tell you about, I just want to keep it secret from my real life for now. :D But I bet you can all think of a thing why I might need my birth certificate and stuff... Hrrhrr very exciting). 

- ordered a brunch box for Wednesday - the mister's birthday.

- took a nap

Very productive, if I may say so myself. :D 

I planned to do my taxes today, but I totally don't want to. :P 2020 was such a weird year, I really dread doing those taxes... But I have to do them this week since now I have time for it. ^^

Plan for the evening:

- going for that run and a few pushups afterwards (I'm so filled up with endorphines right now, I bet the three rounds of running will be a breeze :D

- practicing the Viking stuff 

- Cyberpunk. :D 

• Like 3