Juliebarkley keeps herself on track

10 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I am currently listening in on a bunch of old American campaign ads, because my son has weird hobbies. If you want a laugh in a "what did I just watch" kind of way, check out Adlai Stevenson'sTV ads, especially the one with the two hearts. Or just really all of them. Lyndon Johnson's ads against Goldwater are fantastic; very effective.

That’s hilarious you now have me watching old commercials. Haha. I’m super glad we don’t have to listen to some of those long singing campaign commercials though. 

It’s fun when we get sucked into our kids interest. I’ve learned so much trivia about things that I never expected because of it. 

Keep up the good progress on your stuff. What language are you learning in Duo?

Druid - Assassin - Adventurer Level 18

Challenges: [Current
[18} [17] [16] [15] [14] [13] [12] [11] [10] [9] [8] [7] [6] [5] [4] [3] [ 2 ] [ 1 ]

Putting your arms overhead is more of a light active flexibility exercise, which can be useful for warm ups as you already found out. For me personally I only feel my rotator cuff working, but I don't feel a stretching sensation. Which is fine, a stretching sensation is not always the best indicator of effectiveness, and where it's felt varies a lot between people.  

@WhiteGhost is on the money though, if you don't feel anything you've probably found a way to compensate, no matter how flexible your shoulders are. 😉 And it's really, really easy to compensate. For me it takes a tonne of concentration to keep everything in check. WG already mentioned a few of these, but here are some options:

• Use a wall, but instead of standing sit with your knees tightly tucked in.
  • If your shoulders go past 180 degrees overhead, sit in child's pose on the floor instead. With more RoM and no gravity assist you'll definitely have to work for it.
  • Use props for feedback (in any of these versions). A resistance band is great as it helps a lot in keeping your elbows from microbending. You can also try a yoga block, or even a stick, as the extra weight provides a different kind of feedback.
  • Something that I personally always like to do for any standing or wall versions (actually for most stretches where I want to isolate the shoulders) is to first lift the arms up as high as possible, with as good form as possible (no arch in the back, no rib flare, elbows completely straight). Then I exhale and bring the ribs down a liiiittle further, without moving the shoulders at all. By bringing the ribs down I mean making the space between the sternum and the belly button a little smaller. You'll probably have to use your abs for this. This should also help in eking out a bit of extra stretch, though you might still not necessarily feel it as such. 🙂

Nice to see you getting on with the program so far! Is it providing the inspiration you wanted?

• Like 2
18 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

It could be that you just have very good overhead mobility (which is what this stretch is designed to help improve).  One other thing I do (as recommended by Jen Crane aka CirquePhysio) is to use a heavy resistance miniband around your wrists as you do it, maintaining pressure on the band throughout the whole range of motion.  If even that doesn't give you a good stretch, you probably either don't need the exercise or have found a compensation somewhere without realizing it.

Oh, one other thing to try is in addition to keeping your spine pressed into the wall, also try keeping your shoulder blades flat against the wall as well.

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Putting your arms overhead is more of a light active flexibility exercise, which can be useful for warm ups as you already found out. For me personally I only feel my rotator cuff working, but I don't feel a stretching sensation. Which is fine, a stretching sensation is not always the best indicator of effectiveness, and where it's felt varies a lot between people.  

@WhiteGhost is on the money though, if you don't feel anything you've probably found a way to compensate, no matter how flexible your shoulders are. 😉 And it's really, really easy to compensate. For me it takes a tonne of concentration to keep everything in check. WG already mentioned a few of these, but here are some options:

• Use a wall, but instead of standing sit with your knees tightly tucked in.
  • If your shoulders go past 180 degrees overhead, sit in child's pose on the floor instead. With more RoM and no gravity assist you'll definitely have to work for it.
  • Use props for feedback (in any of these versions). A resistance band is great as it helps a lot in keeping your elbows from microbending. You can also try a yoga block, or even a stick, as the extra weight provides a different kind of feedback.
  • Something that I personally always like to do for any standing or wall versions (actually for most stretches where I want to isolate the shoulders) is to first lift the arms up as high as possible, with as good form as possible (no arch in the back, no rib flare, elbows completely straight). Then I exhale and bring the ribs down a liiiittle further, without moving the shoulders at all. By bringing the ribs down I mean making the space between the sternum and the belly button a little smaller. You'll probably have to use your abs for this. This should also help in eking out a bit of extra stretch, though you might still not necessarily feel it as such. 🙂

I can't promise that I'm not compensating somehow. I just tried it from a seated kneel, moving my arms the way they did it in the video (from arms at sides up in an arc in front of you to vertical, then back down). There is still no stretch, but I did get some microbending. There's a lower range of motion for the shoulders, though. I can get a stretch in my arms from child's pose, but child's pose to something resembling cobra pose is a later stretch used for the cooldown, so I don't want to duplicate that here. And, trying today, with my back pressed to the wall and tightening up my abs, I did indeed get a stretch in the shoulders. Different day, different result? 🤷‍♀️

You guys are great, btw. I'm not going to post for advice on every stretch that doesn't seem to be doing anything, but it is nice to know that there are ways to adjust things, and nice helpful people that are willing to give advice. Thank you.

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Nice to see you getting on with the program so far! Is it providing the inspiration you wanted?

It's definitely been fun! I like the discovery element of not quite knowing what's coming next, but having a general idea of where they're taking me. It keeps me curious. And scheduling in the same amount of time every day for active recovery was the right choice. It keeps the momentum going.

8 hours ago, Jayniana Jones said:

That’s hilarious you now have me watching old commercials. Haha. I’m super glad we don’t have to listen to some of those long singing campaign commercials though. 

It’s fun when we get sucked into our kids interest. I’ve learned so much trivia about things that I never expected because of it. 

Keep up the good progress on your stuff. What language are you learning in Duo?

You mean you wouldn't enjoy a modern campaign ad based on Old Macdonald Had a Farm? Spoilsport. :P

My son has had a thing for old ads for quite some time, but the campaign ads are a new direction. (He was stupid excited when he found that website.) It's tied in really well to the logic study we were doing, especially the bit on  persuasion/propaganda techniques used in advertising and other media. The old ads provide a wealth of examples of the various techniques in action. He is expressing interest in a possible in marketing or advertising, so we can call it career research, too. :)

I'm doing French, Spanish, and Esperanto on Duolingo, but for the most part French and Esperanto are just maintenance. Do you use it as well?

• Like 2

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38  39 

On 4/6/2021 at 5:59 PM, juliebarkley said:

You mean you wouldn't enjoy a modern campaign ad based on Old Macdonald Had a Farm? Spoilsport. :P

My son has had a thing for old ads for quite some time, but the campaign ads are a new direction. (He was stupid excited when he found that website.) It's tied in really well to the logic study we were doing, especially the bit on  persuasion/propaganda techniques used in advertising and other media. The old ads provide a wealth of examples of the various techniques in action. He is expressing interest in a possible in marketing or advertising, so we can call it career research, too. :)

I'm doing French, Spanish, and Esperanto on Duolingo, but for the most part French and Esperanto are just maintenance. Do you use it as well?

I think I wouldn’t mind Old Macdonald as a campaign ad for the first time. The problem is the song would get stuck in my head and I have a feeling the more annoying the more it will repeat. ;)

I majored in marketing communications in college. I love the my advertising and public relations courses because we studied a lot of old ad campaigns and history of the industry. It definitely changes how you look at ads around us. 

I fell off of my Spanish DuoLingo about a year ago when we moved from Wisconsin to Idaho. Although, as I type this I’m thinking it might be a useful thing to add into my day. All of my neighbors across the street are Hispanic. There are a few of the older ones that wave to me all the time, but when I try to talk to them they bring in a younger generation to speak to me. I’m not sure they understand my English well enough for conversation. My Spanish ability is limited to simple conversation and naming objects. Also it has to be spoken slowly or I’m lost. Maybe I can start a conversation with my neighbor by pointing at objects in her yard and naming them? ;) 

Druid - Assassin - Adventurer Level 18

Challenges: [Current
[18} [17] [16] [15] [14] [13] [12] [11] [10] [9] [8] [7] [6] [5] [4] [3] [ 2 ] [ 1 ]

2 hours ago, Jayniana Jones said:

Maybe I can start a conversation with my neighbor by pointing at objects in her yard and naming them? ;) 

Or learn to talk about the weather. Always a good conversation piece to fall back on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday was more or less a lost day, so let us move on to today.

Elements got into the crab walk today. The movement itself is easy enough to do, but really starts to wear on the arms and shoulders after a while. Combine that with more of the tabletop-to-squat, and my arms are pretty beat. This may have contributed to my rather awful music practice session today.

Walk, music, Quran, VO, tab, all check. VO was also pretty awful, but I did learn a technique which I think will come in very handy in future. Inbox was filling in some forms that I have procrastinated on. They still need to be scanned and sent in, but that should be doable in tomorrow's inbox time. I should probably get on with my taxes after that. Boo.

All right, time to get on with work. That book pile won't shrink itself.

• Like 5

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38  39 

Mobility today, and broke more of a sweat than I have for ages. That's... not how active rest days are supposed to work. Pretty sure.

By the time I finished Mobility and a shower I was somehow a good hour behind on my schedule, so I did the sensible thing and chucked it all in favour of finishing my novel. Which I did. I have no regrets. I still got a few things done. Duo, for instance. And eating supper. Maybe something else in there too, I don't remember.

I have been making good progress on the book pile the last couple of days. It may not be a complete fool's errand to hope that I can finish this by the end of the challenge (though my storage space is rapidly running out and a new one will have to be commandeered shortly). I will have to put some extra time in though, and I have several days off work in a row coming up. How convenient. I may be able to catch up on the mini too, marvel of marvels.

But that is all for tomorrow (and subsequent days). For now, good night.

• Like 3

On 4/7/2021 at 2:59 AM, juliebarkley said:

Different day, different result? 🤷‍♀️

This is another reason why stretching sensations are not always the best indicator of effectiveness. 🙂 It's very normal to get different results each day, flexibility is affected by so many factors e.g. sleep, hydration, hormones...

11 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Mobility today, and broke more of a sweat than I have for ages. That's... not how active rest days are supposed to work. Pretty sure.

Sounds great! 😄 Curious now, are the mobility sessions actually labeled as active recovery, or just as mobility?

11 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I was somehow a good hour behind on my schedule, so I did the sensible thing and chucked it all in favour of finishing my novel.

This is indeed the only logical solution.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

This is another reason why stretching sensations are not always the best indicator of effectiveness. 🙂

You're telling me! Yesterday's stretching session felt a bit challenging in places, but I was not expecting the achiness today! (Though that is not entirely from the stretching, to be fair.)

Curious now, are the mobility sessions actually labeled as active recovery, or just as mobility?

The mobility program is just called Mobility. In the program comparison tool that they have, it is weighted more towards flexibility and less to strength and motor control (Elements is an even balance of the three). They either stated or strongly implied somewhere that the two could be done on alternating days without issue for this reason.

This is indeed the only logical solution.

It was; it really was. But also don't enable me. :P

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elements again today. I was feeling a bit headachy and so I only did 15 minutes, but I'm proud that I got that 15 minutes in. And I'm glad that the program has a way to adjust the length easily, because chucking it for the day did cross my mind. Especially since it was a lot of Bear today, which is upsidedowny, which risks making the headache angry (but didn't, so yay for that).

Walk, Quran, VO, tab, all check. Music was skipped as it showed up at the worst point of the headache when loud noises were most off-putting. Inbox got me my forms scanned and submitted. The tab was a VO article on accents, so practice became "fun with accents". The accents I can do convincingly are few and an odd mix. I could do with picking up more common and useful ones. Language learning really makes learning accents a lot easier because you have already learned how to listen for sounds that aren't in your own language, figure out how they are produced, and also pick out the stress patterns and rhythm of a different language's flow. It's really just applying this to a different flavour of your own language. There was another tab with a neat parkour roll tutorial with different levels in it, so I may try that outside on the grass tomorrow. :)

My achy back says that sitting in my comfy comfy beanbag chair and getting to work on the book piles is a good idea, but I know with my logic brain of experience that the lingering lightheadness probably means that food is more important, so that's my plan for the rest of the evening. Food then books for whatever time is left.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, juliebarkley said:

The mobility program is just called Mobility. In the program comparison tool that they have, it is weighted more towards flexibility and less to strength and motor control (Elements is an even balance of the three). They either stated or strongly implied somewhere that the two could be done on alternating days without issue for this reason.

As long as the loads are not too high and/or the muscles are worked in different ways I don't see why they shouldn't be compatible! Based on this I'm not surprised that a mobility session would be intense. Means you're doing it right. 😉

It was; it really was. But also don't enable me. :P

😄

There was another tab with a neat parkour roll tutorial with different levels in it, so I may try that outside on the grass tomorrow. :)

Fun plan!

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Means you're doing it right. 😉

Good to know that I'm suffering just like I'm meant to. ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was gorgeous today; crazy warm for April and maybe, just maybe, we won't get third winter this year and it will stay all nice (maybe not quite this nice though - it was 25 today!) I spent almost all day hanging out on the lawn in the sun working on a project. Took a walk sometime in there, and did the rolls from the video too. I really like the technique in this video. I'm going to keep practicing it. And I did three on each side with no dizziness, so all that rolling last year must have had some lasting effect!

Later in the evening, we did Mobility, which involved a lot of hopping. Then, I took my son out on a walk to hear the spring peepers. So many peepers. We heard another mystery frog too, so we came home, listened to frog sounds, then went out again to identify the frog (it was a wood frog). And we saw another frog on the lawn on the way home which I think was a young bullfrog. So it was a froggy sort of evening.

Duo is done, but none of the other daily stuff (except the walk mentioned earlier). I'll make sure to get music in at least, since I've missed a few days. Then book work. I didn't get any done yesterday - after food my energy was low, so I finished a graphic novel instead.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

I spent almost all day hanging out on the lawn in the sun working on a project. Took a walk sometime in there, and did the rolls from the video too. I really like the technique in this video. I'm going to keep practicing it. And I did three on each side with no dizziness, so all that rolling last year must have had some lasting effect!

Sesame Street Muppets GIF

29 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

I'll make sure to get music in at least, since I've missed a few days.

connection GIF

30 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

Later in the evening, we did Mobility, which involved a lot of hopping. Then, I took my son out on a walk to hear the spring peepers. So many peepers. We heard another mystery frog too, so we came home, listened to frog sounds, then went out again to identify the frog (it was a wood frog). And we saw another frog on the lawn on the way home which I think was a young bullfrog. So it was a froggy sort of evening.

kermit GIF

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

16 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

kermit GIF

You have made my day. These are the first GIFs I have gotten for a long, long time. :)

• Like 1

Let us see.

Mobility today. Just a lot of things, no theme there.

Walk was windy and promised rain. There has been no rain.

Duo, tab have been done. Realized that I needed to make some space on my computer before I can make the recording I need to make, so I have been busily doing that instead of the music and more work-looking work that I would prefer to be doing. But I did get a bunch of books listed earlier in the day. But not put away yet.

I really need to work on the spring cleaning challenge.

That is all for today.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2021 at 11:36 PM, juliebarkley said:

I actually get less done on my days off than on the days when I have work.

LOL me too! I am so much less productive when I have more time to do things in. I require an enforced structure to actually get things done. 

On 4/5/2021 at 7:00 AM, juliebarkley said:

Still, there were a few where there wasn't much of a stretch. (If you lift your arms straight up in the air, elbows locked out, do you really feel a stretch? Where?)

Following on from what both @WhiteGhost and @Scaly Freak both mentioned but to give a different perspective. It's perfectly possible for your shoulders to be hypermobile. I've got this with my hips. I can do some stretches to full mobility and feel nothing where everyone else I've ever seen try them find them really hard and painful. Also my fingers :lol: but people don't often stretch their fingers.

There is an argument to be made that you actually shouldn't stretch these areas at all. Often there'll be opposing muscles that are really tight to compensate for the loose ones. You should be working on those instead if they exist.  I won't claim one side or the other since the whole topic of stretching is subject to a lot of debate  but I thought I'd present it. I find stretching some muscles to be really useful and others to be fairly pointless and I think you are doing the right thing by experimenting with different things. Find what works for you and use it!

On 4/5/2021 at 7:00 AM, juliebarkley said:

Active Recovery

Active recovery is a myth 😜 Kinda and I won't go off about it but the question really should be asked: I am I going to feel better tomorrow after doing this today?  If the answer is no, then it really isn't active recovery. It's essentially defined as doing an activity at a low enough load of exercise that you'll be more than fully recovered from it in 24 hours. 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

11 hours ago, Harriet said:

Sneaking in here to watch you doing GMB elements. Hi! 😊

Hello, hello! Sneaking is more traditional for Assassins, but you do you. :P I'm not very descriptive - not really the natural social media/blogger type, don't find talking about myself natural - so if you have any questions where I've left big, vague blanks, please do ask!

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

LOL me too! I am so much less productive when I have more time to do things in. I require an enforced structure to actually get things done. 

It is sooo nice to relax into the feeling of having nothing to do though...

There is an argument to be made that you actually shouldn't stretch these areas at all. Often there'll be opposing muscles that are really tight to compensate for the loose ones. You should be working on those instead if they exist.  I won't claim one side or the other since the whole topic of stretching is subject to a lot of debate  but I thought I'd present it. I find stretching some muscles to be really useful and others to be fairly pointless and I think you are doing the right thing by experimenting with different things. Find what works for you and use it!

I suppose it's possible. I just kind of assumed that the stretch just needed levelling up. So far the stretches in Elements are easier than the ones in Mobility or Resilience, for example. Or like I am very good at the Butterfly, and I have to work out how to advance it. The idea that there's a point beyond which I should stop trying to advance it (a point I could actually achieve, that is) hadn't occurred to me. I think I am fairly flexible on the whole, but there are a few points of real weakness.

Active recovery is a myth 😜 Kinda and I won't go off about it but the question really should be asked: I am I going to feel better tomorrow after doing this today?  If the answer is no, then it really isn't active recovery. It's essentially defined as doing an activity at a low enough load of exercise that you'll be more than fully recovered from it in 24 hours. 

Well, the goal is just to have some activity on the off-days to keep the momentum going really. The "on" days are pretty easy right now, so I'm not terribly worried about it.

• Like 3

Elements today. I was running behind by the time it rolled around because today was one of those days where everything you do seems to then need something else done first, and nothing much gets done. So only 15 minutes. It was all about the Monkey today. I practiced getting better at this move by trying to be quieter, because that meant I was more controlled on the landing.

Tab, Duo, music, VO, check, though some of it was truly token. WIS not done yet. Not so good. Ramadan starts tomorrow and am I ready? Hahaha nope. Inbox item was a pair of shoes that I love but which are way beyond repair in multiple ways. I took pictures of them so that if I ever want to replicate their style I can give it a try (I have a someday goal of learning to make simple shoes, and these are sandals). Then I thanked them for the happy memories (I walked across the city in these shoes!) and sent them to the trash can.

I have my script all prepped and ready to go now - pronunciations clarified, iPad charged, space made on computer, everything is ready. So now I just need to DO THE RECORDING but do I feel like doing it right now? Nope. Sigh. I'm not doing myself any favours putting it off, but I am quite hungry and I can't eat for most of tomorrow. But if I eat I might wreck my voice for the rest of the evening. What to do?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

What to do?

Maybe eat something that doesn't wreck your voice?  I bet ice cream wouldn't wreck your voice ;) 

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132, 33Humbug[Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

44 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Maybe eat something that doesn't wreck your voice?  I bet ice cream wouldn't wreck your voice ;) 

I opted for the eating; that seemed more important since no food will be forthcoming till almost 8pm. Not ice cream though. :P It does mean I have to get some recording done before D&D tomorrow. And probably after as well. So Alethra might be veerry quiet.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I suppose it's possible. I just kind of assumed that the stretch just needed levelling up. So far the stretches in Elements are easier than the ones in Mobility or Resilience, for example. Or like I am very good at the Butterfly, and I have to work out how to advance it. The idea that there's a point beyond which I should stop trying to advance it (a point I could actually achieve, that is) hadn't occurred to me. I think I am fairly flexible on the whole, but there are a few points of real weakness.

You'd level up by closing the gap between active and passive flexibility. :) For example, say you can do the splits on the floor. But can you do it standing or hanging or upside down? A good reason for decreasing the active/passive gap could be for injury prevention and general joint health. But when it comes to passive range I personally I see little reason for increasing it above the basics unless your sport/lifestyle demands it. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

But when it comes to passive range I personally I see little reason for increasing it above the basics unless your sport/lifestyle demands it. 🤷‍♀️

One reason would be to balance things out. For example, I have lousy hamstring flexibility. The reason I have lousy hamstring flexibility is that I hardly ever lean over because squatting is just so much easier for me. I spend a decent amount of time most days in a deep squat for work, reading the newspaper, or other random stuff because I tend to use the floor as a giant desk. This probably means that whatever muscles support the leaning-over type movement are weak as well and the whole movement needs more practice. My lifestyle is enabling this weakness rather than challenging it.

• Like 1

No exercise today as it is D&D day and there was just so. much. to. do.

Got home, walk, music, and even rolls outside. Those last were much more dizzy-making than last time, but I did do them from near standing, which is a first. I forget exactly what came next, but I don't feel like it was time-wasting. I did spend some time in internet conversation while killing time before iftar because distraction was needed and there was no way I could record on no water anyway. Then food. Then D&D. Still no recording which means that is next because I do not have a ton of time to waste. And that's pretty much it. (My life is so exciting, eh? :P )

• Like 2

On 4/12/2021 at 11:18 PM, juliebarkley said:

Hello, hello! Sneaking is more traditional for Assassins, but you do you. :P

Isn't bodyweight work also for assassins?

*suddenlyassassinated*

nat geo wild surprise GIF by Savage Kingdom

On 4/12/2021 at 11:18 PM, juliebarkley said:

I'm not very descriptive - not really the natural social media/blogger type, don't find talking about myself natural - so if you have any questions where I've left big, vague blanks, please do ask!

Thank you!

7 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I spend a decent amount of time most days in a deep squat for work, reading the newspaper, or other random stuff because I tend to use the floor as a giant desk.

Oh, interesting. What about when you need to work on a computer?

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

26 minutes ago, Harriet said:

*suddenlyassassinated*

Multiclass!

26 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Oh, interesting. What about when you need to work on a computer?

Laptops are highly portable. Most of my computer stuff is actually done sitting sideways on the couch with the computer propped against my raised knees. :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

One reason would be to balance things out. For example, I have lousy hamstring flexibility. The reason I have lousy hamstring flexibility is that I hardly ever lean over because squatting is just so much easier for me. I spend a decent amount of time most days in a deep squat for work, reading the newspaper, or other random stuff because I tend to use the floor as a giant desk. This probably means that whatever muscles support the leaning-over type movement are weak as well and the whole movement needs more practice. My lifestyle is enabling this weakness rather than challenging it.

If challenging yourself is a good enough reason than kudos to you! Balancing things out is a weird one though, what does that even mean? Balanced enough to do what exactly? I really am just curious, so please don't take it as me dissing your reasons! :) Do you have like a minimum amount of flexibility that would make your body feel more balanced?

From what I've noticed, myself included, is that it's much easier to work on flexibility if there's a big picture goal. It doesn't have to be a big goal, it could just be tying your shoelaces without squatting. But I've seen many people either not sticking to stretching or not challenging themselves enough to make progress mostly because they feel it's "a thing they should be doing" for some reason.

Btw, I also practically live on the floor. I tend to end up in a deep squat by default, but I tryyyy to switch things up and sit in a straddle or with straight legs in front of me or some other position. Maybe that's something to try too?