Continuing the ongoing theme from my favorite webcomic (it ran for 20 years, the art gets better, the characters and story are good throughout) the 70 Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries.  I'll be using selected Maxims to explain my goals and keep things entertaining.  I don't expect to get to all of them, and may reuse some of the more applicable ones.  But they all have their own wisdom.

Last challenge was a bit of a kick in the teeth.  I picked some seemingly reasonable goals to build on the momentum I had built since the beginning of the year and everything was looking good.  Then week one, life threw a couple wrenches in the plan and my mind went "oh, you thought that was momentum? Nope, that was all willpower!"  I rolled back to my previous goals, but had very little extra energy for talking about it, so my challenge thread didn't see much activity.  I'm hoping I have a handle on things again, and will be taking smaller steps with my goals, mostly continuing the progress I managed towards the end of last challenge.

Maxim 47: Don't Expect the Enemy to Cooperate in the Creation of Your Dream Engagement.

home alone map GIF

My plan last challenge did not go well.  My intentions fell apart week one and it took most of the challenge to restart where I had been prior to the change.  That said, I'm still seeing progress (back up to sets of 4 pullups from the 2 I started the year with).  So I'm going to stick with my "randomly do something most days" plan for now.  At some point, my life should get organized enough to have a dedicated workout time, but I'm not there yet and trying to force it is a proven recipe for disaster.

Maxim 50: If It Only Works in Exactly the Way the Manufacturer Intended, It Is Defective.

waterskiing backhoe GIF

My waist cutting goal has been another point of frustration.  I didn't stick with it as well as intended at the beginning of last challenge, but I was still eating better than last year.  Yet somehow I was stuck at 36-1/4in for all of last month.  Then I do my weigh-in this morning and I've suddenly dropped 3/4 of an inch without changing anything.  I'm still behind on my overall goal (30in waist by mid-August for my wedding), but apparently none of this can be predicted, so I'm just going to keep at it and see how things go.

Maxim 24: Any Sufficiently Advanced Technology Is Indistinguishable from a Big Gun.

giphy.gif

I still have a laundry list of projects to finish, but they all got sidetracked last month when my fiancee decided to sign us up for our first vendor event with less than a month notice.  The only thing on my list from last challenge I finished was her storage cabinets, then the rest of the time was spent figuring out things we could make quickly to sell during a local BBQ festival.  Pictures are on our FB page, if anyone's interested.  But we did that last weekend, and seemed to do pretty well (covered the event fees and paid for ~1/2 of our booth supplies [tent, tables, displays, etc]) and the next one on our radar isn't until May.  So I need to get back to my own projects and get some of them done before I have to start working on fair stuff again.  Top priorities are:

-Finish miniature painting (circle stones and lizardman tribe)

-Work on my wedding outfit (shirt and tabard are done, need to start on pants)

-Figure out base for the wedding bouquets (attaching a flower holder to a sonic screwdriver)

-Build a storage shelf for our fair stuff (totes, tables, tent, etc) to keep it out of the way between events

-Finish installing my wire rack "weapon wall" and move all of our cosplay weapons onto it

And my obligatory plug for the new Artificer's Crafthall over in the adventuring parties, where you can see updates for some of my, and others, projects.

• Like 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I'm here to follow along again. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I like your wall of ouchie sticks. 

• Thanks 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Wow, I'm bad at this...

I've been very low energy for the past month, as any time I leave the house I have to deal with a horde of plague bearers.  It's wearying...

So part of my goals for next challenge will be finding a new balance to maintain the energy to participate in communities I actually enjoy being part of.  We'll see how that goes.

Actual wrap up for this challenge:

My first 2 goals got sidetracked and a combination of comfort eating and low motivation for exercise has left me worse off than when I started.  Going to try buckling down next challenge, cause some progress would be a nice morale boost.

I did finish most of my projects listed for this month:

Weapon wall is in my previous post, ended up buying a shelf for our fair stuff and getting it mostly organized, and got my wedding pants finished.  My reception vest is in works, but I need to either cut my waist significantly or make a new one in a larger size before I finish it.  I'll also be helping with my ring-bearer's outfit, as they're going to be my squire.

And after roughly a year of procrastination, I finally finished my quarantine mini painting...

IMG_20210503_211032183

IMG_20210503_211059956 IMG_20210503_210759597 IMG_20210503_210705490

And bonus turtle pic, because turtle:

IMG_20210416_155208324

• Like 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.