You know, I was not excited by the meal I put in the oven an hour ago, and it's not actually exciting per se, just one of my ultra easy slightly comfort foodish fallbacks, but it does taste pretty good. I think in part, I'm just sort of underestimating how good food will taste, and thus don't eat.

sad homer simpson GIF

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I have built my minimalist hook holster into the lid of my ornament box. I'm not saying it's the greatest invention since sliced bread, but one of us is never going to have to untangle Christmas tree hooks again, and it isn't you. Also, it stores all my hooks in a hard to use space.

200.gif

PS: And I have labeled it, because a good engineer always labels.

• Like 6

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

9 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

one of us is never going to have to untangle Christmas tree hooks again

What are Christmas tree hooks?

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

32 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

What are Christmas tree hooks?

You have never put ornaments on a Christmas tree?! 🙀

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

You have never put ornaments on a Christmas tree?! 🙀

Oh, you mean ornament hooks ;) 

But no, they don't have those here and Christmas tree ornaments just have a looped string on the top which is used to loop over the needles to attach.  I haven't seen an ornament hook for decades which is why my mind didn't go there. 

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Oh, you mean ornament hooks ;) 

No, I don't. I have tons of ornaments around the apartment with no hooks. It's the anatomical structure of Christmas trees that requires the hooks. :D

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

But no, they don't have those here and Christmas tree ornaments just have a looped string on the top which is used to loop over the needles to attach.  I haven't seen an ornament hook for decades which is why my mind didn't go there. 

But China is supposed to have tomorrow's technology today! String is the worst. I'm surprised you didn't use the old paperclip trick. (I confess, all mine are former paperclips.)

• Haha 2

Notify the Rinzai Zen community... I think we found another koan!

Does the hook attach the ornament to the tree, or the tree to the ornament?

zen GIF

• Like 2

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

1 hour ago, Stronkey Kong said:

Notify the Rinzai Zen community... I think we found another koan!

Does the hook attach the ornament to the tree, or the tree to the ornament?

zen GIF

Yes, it does.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Week 2 Day 6

Deep Work 1 Work 2 Work 3 Work 4

TBD

• Clear fridge
  • Take out trash
  • take out recycling
  • Laundry
  • charge robot for testing
  • Fill bathroom containers
  • Water plants with old tea
  • Clean thing
  • Hang laundry
  • Make food
  • Get groceries
  • Portion and freeze food
  • Find vitamin D
Deep Rest 1 Deep Rest 2 Deep Rest 3 Deep Rest 4
Rest Rest Rest

Rest

Start of Day Weekend Business 2 Weekend Business 2

End of Day

Family call Family call
  • Yoga
  • PM fast clean

Wheels Spun:

Spoiler
  1. Order groceries
  2. Call x9
  3. Rest x27
  4. Laundry
  5. charge robot for testing
  6. Fill bathroom containers

Today is made of boredom. Boredom and stupid things. What counteracts boredom and stupid things?

bbc one waiting GIF by BBC

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, chemgeek said:

Congratulations on getting the wheels spun

They've been spinning reasonably well this week. That's a plus. I've spun wheels every day, and had very few massive schedule crashes. Maybe one and a half?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

What counteracts boredom and stupid things?

Terry Pratchett. Often also Neil Gaiman.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

29 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Terry Pratchett. Often also Neil Gaiman.

Gosh, that is true. Also, I'm realizing, food and naps. It's tired o'clock again. This might be a short work day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Today is made of boredom. Boredom and stupid things. What counteracts boredom and stupid things?

At the risk of (and quite honestly for the purposes of) oversimplification, entertainment and intelligent things. Fortunately, the writings of Pterry (as Scalyfreak correctly recommended) fit the bill on both counts.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

From memory, and bear in mind it has been, like, thirty years...

On 5/18/2021 at 12:40 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The Naked Now

AKA, we've all seen TOS, and even our androids get some, cuz this franchise is about the space bangin'.

Happy GIF

Hide and Q

Eh, John de Lancie, does it really matter what it's about? All John de Lancie episodes are 100% John de Lancie.

Star Trek Q GIF

(Oh my god, he's a baby in that photo. Is this the sort of thing where it's going to freak me out that he used to be my evil space uncle and now I'm older than him?)

The Big Goodbye

I have no idea, but if Picard doesn't dress up as Sam Spade, I'll be very disappointed.

Datalore

Good lord, does Lore turn up this early? I think of him as a later season thing. Wishful thinking, perhaps.

Honestly, I just like this title.

Skin of Evil

Toxic oil slick eats woman's career for the first of two times in season 1. (The other time is offscreen.)

GIF by Giphy QA

The Neutral Zone

There will be pointy ears.

Star Trek Hoax GIF

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

At the risk of (and quite honestly for the purposes of)

Sir. Let me stop you there.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

bbc one waiting GIF by BBC

Meaningful things? Fun things? A video game that simultaneously saves the world in real life?

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

If one were going to begin intake of Mr Pratchett for the first time, where would one begin?

12 minutes ago, Yasha92 said:

If one were going to begin intake of Mr Pratchett for the first time, where would one begin?

I have given this much thought, because it is a complicated question. The answer is definitely not "the first book", because even he doesn't think the first three are representative of Discworld. He was finding his feet.

It's also tricky, because there are sub-series within the series that, while chronological in terms of the world as a whole, are largely independent of each other in terms of plot and character. The major Discworld themes are very strong across all of them, but they each have sort of their own local thematic focus and tone. So my answer tends to be,"take the first book of the three major sub-series early on and sample them, to see if you like the characters and style and so on". Those books are Mort, Witches Abroad Wyrd Sisters, and Guards Guards. (I keep making that Witches typo because I personally think it's a better book, but it might just be more to my personal taste. You could start with either, there are no major continuity things between them.)

From there, you can either go chronologically from Mort, or skip around at will, having had the intro to your major starting points. They're a bit ordered within series, but not so strongly that you couldn't pick your way through in a less organized fashion. (The few books I think benefit from being read after all their subseries predecessors are Hogfather, Night Watch, and Lords and Ladies. Hogfather and Lords and Ladies both benefit from having read a few books set in Ankh-Morpork as well.) There are some new series that arise later and handfuls of standalones, many of which are fantastic. The Rincewind series is... hit or miss for a lot of people. It has some fans, and a fair number of anti-fans. I personally don't think many are that great (though Sourcery and Eric are a cute little pair). His books are mostly parodies of pulp fantasy tropes (and in one case, all of Australia as a whole, which is also a bit cute), and it doesn't age as well as the stuff that's satire of reality, IMO.

But apart from that, his writing skill visibly levels up every five books or so into the series. There's a real peak about 3/4s of the way through the series, and it is glorious. It includes Night Watch, and also one of the best feminist books I've actually read. (Genuine feminist themes are kind of a strength of his, from very early on. He's got some very sharp insights on very subtle points, and makes them before they became a mainstream part of discourse. There's a conversation in Feet of Clay that's gotta be ten or fifteen years ahead of mainstream feminist recognition of the issue that feminism had only opened doors for women who played by male rules and became honorary men rather than changing how society values what is female, and he was writing entire books about the devalued labor of the pink collar economy - and giving speeches about it to majority male fantasy con crowds - in 1983. It's a subtext through all his witches books. His city watch books have a really similar running commentary on socioeconomic injustice.)

While talking about his peak, it must also be noted to expect a decline at the end. He developed early onset Alzheimers and kept writing through it, his last book was released posthumously. It's fairly incredible that about half those books don't show it. But the last 3ish, you can really see it hit. The very final one is simply unfinished, a bit bare bones. (And perhaps more moving for it, because it's clearly a goodbye.) The two before that, though... probably better to think of them as Discworld-inspired tributes to indomitable human perseverance in the face of an extremely difficult disease.

So the short answer to your question is Mort, Wyrd Sisters, and Guards Guards. :D None of them are the best books for their characters, because those series just get better as they go on, but they're all solid Discworld books and will introduce you to the major characters and themes at the start of their runs.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I have given this much thought, because it is a complicated question. The answer is definitely not "the first book", because even he doesn't think the first three are representative of Discworld. He was finding his feet.

It's also tricky, because there are sub-series within the series that, while chronological in terms of the world as a whole, are largely independent of each other in terms of plot and character. The major Discworld themes are very strong across all of them, but they each have sort of their own local thematic focus and tone. So my answer tends to be,"take the first book of the three major sub-series early on and sample them, to see if you like the characters and style and so on". Those books are Mort, Witches Abroad Wyrd Sisters, and Guards Guards. (I keep making that Witches typo because I personally think it's a better book, but it might just be more to my personal taste. You could start with either, there are no major continuity things between them.)

From there, you can either go chronologically from Mort, or skip around at will, having had the intro to your major starting points. They're a bit ordered within series, but not so strongly that you couldn't pick your way through in a less organized fashion. (The few books I think benefit from being read after all their subseries predecessors are Hogfather, Night Watch, and Lords and Ladies. Hogfather and Lords and Ladies both benefit from having read a few books set in Ankh-Morpork as well.) There are some new series that arise later and handfuls of standalones, many of which are fantastic. The Rincewind series is... hit or miss for a lot of people. It has some fans, and a fair number of anti-fans. I personally don't think many are that great (though Sourcery and Eric are a cute little pair). His books are mostly parodies of pulp fantasy tropes (and in one case, all of Australia as a whole, which is also a bit cute), and it doesn't age as well as the stuff that's satire of reality, IMO.

But apart from that, his writing skill visibly levels up every five books or so into the series. There's a real peak about 3/4s of the way through the series, and it is glorious. It includes Night Watch, and also one of the best feminist books I've actually read. (Genuine feminist themes are kind of a strength of his, from very early on. He's got some very sharp insights on very subtle points, and makes them before they became a mainstream part of discourse. There's a conversation in Feet of Clay that's gotta be ten or fifteen years ahead of mainstream feminist recognition of the issue that feminism had only opened doors for women who played by male rules and became honorary men rather than changing how society values what is female, and he was writing entire books about the devalued labor of the pink collar economy - and giving speeches about it to majority male fantasy con crowds - in 1983. It's a subtext through all his witches books. His city watch books have a really similar running commentary on socioeconomic injustice.)

While talking about his peak, it must also be noted to expect a decline at the end. He developed early onset Alzheimers and kept writing through it, his last book was released posthumously. It's fairly incredible that about half those books don't show it. But the last 3ish, you can really see it hit. The very final one is simply unfinished, a bit bare bones. (And perhaps more moving for it, because it's clearly a goodbye.) The two before that, though... probably better to think of them as Discworld-inspired tributes to indomitable human perseverance in the face of an extremely difficult disease.

So the short answer to your question is Mort, Wyrd Sisters, and Guards Guards. :D None of them are the best books for their characters, because those series just get better as they go on, but they're all solid Discworld books and will introduce you to the major characters and themes at the start of their runs.

Thank you for this exceptionally detailed write up!

I have listened to the audible sample for each of them, and based purely on the phrase “whereas this one had a slight suggestion of too many chocolates” I will be starting with Mort

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Yasha92 said:

Thank you for this exceptionally detailed write up!

I have listened to the audible sample for each of them, and based purely on the phrase “whereas this one had a slight suggestion of too many chocolates” I will be starting with Mort

Excellent choice. 

The first reader of the Discworld books, Nigel Planer, is pretty good. (I think there were, two, actually; I think Celia Imrie did the early witches books, but I haven't heard any.) If you get Tony Robinson, you've got an abridged book, not the real book.

The final reader, who took over around midway through, is pretty great, though. He's the only one who's not an acting name, but he's just fantastic at it.

Week 2 Day 7

Deep Work 1 Work 2 Work 3 Work 4

Study

• Hang laundry 
  • Portion and freeze food
  • Find vitamin D
  • Water plants with old tea
  • Tidy desk
  • Tidy floor
  • Test robot
  • Hard drive hookup
  • make a new weekly plan
  • Groceries probably
  • Batch cook

Creative work

TBD TBD

TBD

Cleaning Unit 1 Cleaning Unit 2 Start of Day

End of Day

• Dishes
  • Hogswatch
  • Fridge & trash
  • Rest
  • Hydration and setup
  • Spwalk
  • Yoga
  • PM fast clean

Weekly plan for week 3

Last week wasn't a bad trial run. Several quite good test days, so there's something promising here. As I get the sleep deficit back down, it should be easier to have those good days. That's the major source of schedules flying apart right now.

A lot of jobs lingered on the list. I think the big priorities got hit, which is good, but I want to improve the rate of things getting cycled off. If I can't start making progress on the backlog, the high rest experiment could hit a technical failure despite being needed.

Monday

Spoiler
Deep Work 1 Deep Work 2 Deep Work 3 Deep Work 4

Crunch numbers

Make spreadsheet Labwork or study Crunch photons
Work 1 Work 2 Work 3 Work 4
  • Post deep work break
  • TBD
  • Post deep work break
  • TBD
  • Post deep work break
  • Make food
  • Post deep work break
  • TBD

End of Day

• Job 1
  • Job 2
  • Job 3
  • Rest
  • Hydration and setup
  • Sunlight walk
  • Yoga
  • PM fast clean

Tuesday

Spoiler

Crunch numbers

Make spreadsheet Labwork Crunch photons
  • Post deep work break
  • TBD
  • Post deep work break
  • Prepare mailers for mailing
  • Post deep work break
  • Make food
  • Post deep work break
  • Server work
Start of Day Downtime 1 Downtime 2

End of Day

• Hydration and setup
  • Sunlight walk
  • Take out recycling
Creative work TBD
  • Yoga
  • PM fast clean

Wednesday

Spoiler

Crunch numbers

• Post deep work break
  • TBD
  • Post deep work break
  • TBD
  • Post deep work break
  • Make food
  • Post deep work break
  • TBD

End of Day

• Job 1
  • Job 2
  • Job 3
  • Rest
  • Hydration and setup
  • Sunlight walk
  • Yoga
  • PM fast clean

Thursday

Spoiler

Crunch numbers

• Post deep work break
  • TBD
  • Post deep work break
  • TBD
  • Post deep work break
  • Make food
  • Post deep work break
  • TBD
Start of Day Downtime 1 Downtime 2

End of Day

• Hydration and setup
  • Sunlight walk
Creative work TBD
  • Yoga
  • PM fast clean

Friday

Spoiler

Crunch numbers

• Post deep work break
  • TBD
  • Post deep work break
  • TBD
  • Post deep work break
  • Make food
  • Post deep work break
  • TBD

End of Day

• Job 1
  • Job 2
  • Job 3
  • Rest
  • Hydration and setup
  • Sunlight walk
  • Yoga
  • PM fast clean

Saturday

Spoiler

TBD

TBD TBD Make food
TBD TBD TBD

TBD

Start of Day Weekend Business 2 Weekend Business 2

End of Day

• Hydration and setup
  • Sunlight walk
  • Take out recycling
Family call Family call
  • Yoga
  • PM fast clean

Sunday

Spoiler

TBD

TBD Make food Groceries probably

TBD

TBD TBD

TBD

End of Day

• Job 1
  • Job 2
  • Job 3
  • Rest
  • Hydration and setup
  • Sunlight walk
  • Yoga
  • PM fast clean

To be slotted into the cleaning jobs:

Spoiler
  1. Fridge organize
  2. Finish last of the dishes

1. Cabinet organize
  2. One more pass over Mount Awful
  3. Finish mopping, sweeping, and rug
  4. More laundry
  5. Bathroom  deep clean
  6. Closet
  7. Tidy laundry room
  8. Fix robot

To be slotted into work TBD (16-24 slots):

Spoiler
  1. Memory upgrade and file transfer on work tablet
  2. More server work
  3. Place order for summer things
  4. Groceries
  5. Tidy up plant pots and move to final location
  6. Replant microgreens
  7. Finish irrigation setup
  8. Plant some more herbs and lettuce
  9. Check notes for unfinished jobs
  10. Make some customer service calls
  11. Prep mailers
  12. Finish Hogswatch

To be slotted into downtime TBD:

Spoiler
  1. More creative work
  2. Music
  3. Coloring books
  4. Watch Star Trek 2009
  5. Watch TNG?
  6. Audiobooks
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

As someone who's only read the first book, I'd actually suggest starting with what was MY introduction to the Discworld universe...

The video games!

Naturally, they're pretty old now, but they're still incredibly funny (although the first game is notoriously hard so a walkthrough is recommended). They're a must-play if you even remotely like adventure games.

Discworld and Discworld II: Missing Presumed...!? are hilariously cartoony with Rincewind as the main character (voiced by Eric Idle!). Discworld Noir is also hilarious but a lot bleaker (it takes its cues from The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca except that it takes place in Ankh-Morpork). All three are prime examples of adventure games done right, and can be completely enjoyed without knowledge of the books (because that's how *I* enjoyed them).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Active challenges: Improve Ankle Mobility | Walk to Mordor and Back Again | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP

2021 threads: Respawn | Challenge V | VI

2018-19 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV