1 hour ago, TimovieMan said:

As someone who's only read the first book, I'd actually suggest starting with what was MY introduction to the Discworld universe...

The video games!

Naturally, they're pretty old now, but they're still incredibly funny (although the first game is notoriously hard so a walkthrough is recommended). They're a must-play if you even remotely like adventure games.

Discworld and Discworld II: Missing Presumed...!? are hilariously cartoony with Rincewind as the main character (voiced by Eric Idle!). Discworld Noir is also hilarious but a lot bleaker (it takes its cues from The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca except that it takes place in Ankh-Morpork). All three are prime examples of adventure games done right, and can be completely enjoyed without knowledge of the books (because that's how *I* enjoyed them).

Thoroughly endorse this recommendation... the games are brilliant from a gameplay point of view as well as for how faithfully they replicated the Discworld setting.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31

Week 2 Day 7

I kind of messed up my sleep this weekend, so I need to redo my plans here.

Work 1    

• Hang laundry 
  • Make meal
  • Find vitamin D
  • Water plants with old tea
  • Tidy desk
  • Tidy floor
  • Tidy kitchen
  • hard drive hookup

Deep Rest 1      
  • Creative work
  • Walk

Cleaning Unit 1    

• Dishes
  • fridge & trash

Wheels Spun:

Spoiler
  1. Rest x20

Spin tomorrow:

• Test robot
  • Update weekly plan
  • Portion and freeze food
  • Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 5/10/2021 at 8:12 PM, sarakingdom said:

Who's going to grab @Machete and @Sloth the Enduring?  They've been gone too long.

@Machete, your finals are over and you need a challenge to get your head straight. Trust me on this. No monk left behind. (Would be nice to get a check-in from @Teirin too.)

Sloth isn't a monk, so of course that's harder, but we could probably compliment him till he cracks, or something.

I'm here.

Life fell apart. Got an INC in my course as I spoke with my professor and he was willing to work with me, but I haven't received updates on my current state in the program and am pretty much in limbo at the moment but I can't seem to care enough to go find out.

Got a long, very noticeable bout of depression hit me to the point where some people notice. No other choice but to ride it out. Luckily my wife just got a job, and I'm able to indulge all the procrastinating activities I've been dabbling on guilt-free, so I guess there's that.

I think I'll start hitting the Battle Log as a start.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Machete said:

I'm here.

Life fell apart. Got an INC in my course as I spoke with my professor and he was willing to work with me, but I haven't received updates on my current state in the program and am pretty much in limbo at the moment but I can't seem to care enough to go find out.

Got a long, very noticeable bout of depression hit me to the point where some people notice. No other choice but to ride it out. Luckily my wife just got a job, and I'm able to indulge all the procrastinating activities I've been dabbling on guilt-free, so I guess there's that.

I think I'll start hitting the Battle Log as a start.

Glad you're back. You were pretty noticeably not doing well last time you checked in. I'm glad your prof is willing to work with you.

Battle log is good, but challenge is gooder. It sets a pace for working and either levelling up or switching tactics, so you don't forget how long you've been working on something. Having something to keep track of time is good when there's ADHD or depression in the picture.

Whatever the case with the program, I think your best route is to put yourself back together enough to move forward on whatever you hear. Sleep, food, showering, and a daily walk, man. Get that locked in as best you can. Then procrastinate. And if that doesn't work, I'm making you my personal trainer.

(Now do I compliment @Sloth the Enduring till he breaks down from Minnesotan embarrassment and comes back to make me stop? I miss his awesome threads and his awesome life stuff and, like, those hot French braids and those foster dog photos. Who is going to quietly sit near me till I can trust people again, Sloth, did you think about that?! You promised!)

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

8 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

As someone who's only read the first book, I'd actually suggest starting with what was MY introduction to the Discworld universe...

The video games!

Yeahhhh!

8 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Naturally, they're pretty old now, but they're still incredibly funny (although the first game is notoriously hard so a walkthrough is recommended). They're a must-play if you even remotely like adventure games.

Discworld and Discworld II: Missing Presumed...!? are hilariously cartoony with Rincewind as the main character (voiced by Eric Idle!). Discworld Noir is also hilarious but a lot bleaker (it takes its cues from The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca except that it takes place in Ankh-Morpork). All three are prime examples of adventure games done right, and can be completely enjoyed without knowledge of the books (because that's how *I* enjoyed them).

I didn't realise there was a third one. I played the first two, and they are delightfully absurd.

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

7 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Test robot

*presses button*

(Alan Bennett voice with slight Dutch accent) "I've been a very naughty boy, Thora" 

Yep, works perfectly. 

• Haha 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Just now, 18ck said:

*presses button*

(Alan Bennett voice with slight Dutch accent) "I've been a very naughty boy, Thora" 

Yep, works perfectly. 

If only you'd said Alan Rickman as a Dutch sex robot.

pregnant linda fiorentino GIF

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Harriet said:

I didn't realise there was a third one. I played the first two, and they are delightfully absurd.

I'd argue that the third one is even the best of the bunch.

Discworld Noir is on my list of favourite adventure games of all time.

Active challenges: Improve Ankle Mobility | Walk to Mordor and Back Again | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP

2021 threads: Respawn | Challenge V | VI

2018-19 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV

On 5/24/2021 at 12:02 AM, sarakingdom said:

Glad you're back. You were pretty noticeably not doing well last time you checked in. I'm glad your prof is willing to work with you.

Battle log is good, but challenge is gooder. It sets a pace for working and either levelling up or switching tactics, so you don't forget how long you've been working on something. Having something to keep track of time is good when there's ADHD or depression in the picture.

Whatever the case with the program, I think your best route is to put yourself back together enough to move forward on whatever you hear. Sleep, food, showering, and a daily walk, man. Get that locked in as best you can. Then procrastinate. And if that doesn't work, I'm making you my personal trainer.

(Now do I compliment @Sloth the Enduring till he breaks down from Minnesotan embarrassment and comes back to make me stop? I miss his awesome threads and his awesome life stuff and, like, those hot French braids and those foster dog photos. Who is going to quietly sit near me till I can trust people again, Sloth, did you think about that?! You promised!)

Yeah, you're probably right. (As usual.)

Week 3 Day 2

Ugh. I need to turn some wheels just to get ready to post my schedule and turn some wheels.

• Music, preferably loud
  • Make food
  • Hydrate
  • Eat
  • Shower
  • Clean something for the hell of it

Even then, I'm not totally convinced.

Tired Bed GIF

• Like 4

Week 3 Day 2 Fer Real

Deep Work 1 Deep Work 2 Deep Work 3  

Crunch numbers

Make spreadsheet Labwork  
Work 1 Work 2 Work 3  
  • Post deep work break
  • Hang laundry
  • Dishes
  • Post deep work break
  • Server Work
  • Post deep work break
  • TBD

Start of Day Downtime 1 Downtime 2

• Hydration and setup
  • walk
Creative work TBD

Next Wheels:

Wheels spun:

Spoiler
  1. Hydrate
  2. Make grocery list
  3. Make food
  4. Pick up some stuff
  5. Find clothes
  6. Shower
  7. Eat
  8. Rest
  9. Order groceries

• Like 2

How about, instead of spinning little wheels today, I burn everything down and go back to bed?

54 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

How about, instead of spinning little wheels today, I burn everything down and go back to bed?

Before you set anything on fire, I feel compelled to remind you that today is National Wine Day, and perhaps tomorrow is a better day for fires?

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31

38 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Before you set anything on fire, I feel compelled to remind you that today is National Wine Day, and perhaps tomorrow is a better day for fires?

I don't want to drink wine unless things are 50% cleaner and I am 50% less pissed off at the world and everything in it, and I would rather burn everything down than do a single horrible thing, so, frankly, the only problem is that wine isn't a better accelerant.

That is completely fair. 

It also does seem like a waste of good wine, so if you absolutely have to set something on fire, I would suggest Swedish brännvin (literally "burn wine")... Very similar to vodka, starts at 80-proof and goes up from there.

Or you can make martinis with it, which is my preference. :) 

Alternatively, I'll stand over here and keep the world at bay so you don't have to waste energy being pissed off at it, and you can relax for a while.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

5 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

It also does seem like a waste of good wine, so if you absolutely have to set something on fire, I would suggest Swedish brännvin (literally "burn wine")... Very similar to vodka, starts at 80-proof and goes up from there.

Or you can make martinis with it, which is my preference. :) 

I have been eyeing the low carb cocktail mixers tonight. Perhaps I have a use for some vodka after all...

6 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Alternatively, I'll stand over here and keep the world at bay so you don't have to waste energy being pissed off at it, and you can relax for a while.

That is extremely decent of you. I've decided to take a short summer vacation tonight, where I mostly ignore the world and maybe do a thing, and try to relax more. That, I think, is the downfall of my schedule; it technically has downtime hours scheduled, but I mostly don't use them, either from schedule overruns or by dicking around on the internet instead of doing something really absorbing, which they're meant for. Low grade downtime.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

That, I think, is the downfall of my schedule; it technically has downtime hours scheduled, but I mostly don't use them, either from schedule overruns or by dicking around on the internet instead of doing something really absorbing, which they're meant for. Low grade downtime.

This sounds exactly like the kind of situation fiction literature was invented for. And martinis. And very comfortable furniture of some relaxing kind. 

We can figure out how to make better use of your downtime later, when you are not supposed to have downtime. ;) 

Book Riot Challenge 2021

I put in a grocery top-up. I'm not out of food, but I am low on vegetables, and low on sensibly combinable food, and very disinclined to cook tonight, so this is my version of ordering in. It seems like memorial day everything is on sale, so I got memorial day food, and all, I'm pleased to say, macro compliant, as were my last two orders. I seem to be reining in my lockdown macro craziness finally and getting back to "that is not a thing we do".

But I'm having a brain weasel shit show of a day, so I'm on (working) holiday all this week, and will be eating like a (macro-compliant) frat boy at a summer cookout. Whatever. I need the food and the hydration, so who cares if it's from hamburgers, grilled sausages with cabbage and onions, melon slices, cans of soda, and mixed drinks. Macros good, nutritional content basically fine, it'll pass for the week. So tonight, first dinner is pizza and soda, and second dinner is buffalo chicken drumsticks. I will find a hideously dumb summer movie and indulge in it. And then I will sneak in some usefulness.

On the fitnessing front, I finally weighed myself this morning in preparation for some measurement stats taking, and it's in the ballpark of the last weight check-in; too high, but at least holding there, so no unpleasant surprises. I was putting off the weigh-in till I was pretty sure I wouldn't get weird about it, because I feel like my shape and the fit of my clothes has changed a lot in the past month or six weeks. So where we are is weight basically holding its lockdown peak, but body composition taking a sudden dive. (Fortunately, trending a little back the right way after my macros fell into more normal lines.) I can work with that. My movement and consistency has been terrible, and I think it won't take much improvement there to start getting things back on track.

So I do need to get back on the movement consistency this week. My fitness tracker app has added a new activity detection stats page to its graphs, so maybe that will help motivate me when I do my sleep tracking. (It apparently detects running, walking, and stationary moderate-to-high-intensity exercise. I'm all about the passive stats gathering; don't make me enter it, and we're good.)

So if tonight is just pizza and soda in front of a movie, a decent walk, and maybe a brief thing done, I'll call it a win.

Also, Pepsi now has a mango flavor. Who knew? This is either going to be amazing or terrible, but I do like me some mango.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

This sounds exactly like the kind of situation fiction literature was invented for. And martinis. And very comfortable furniture of some relaxing kind. 

Speaking of comfortable furniture and organising life shit, I finally decided to buy a new cover for the sofa, which is the whole reason I hung onto the old IKEA sofa from my first job so long. (That plus guest bed.) I'd been planning to put that off, since I'm not sure it'll make my next move with me, or at least not more than the frame, but whatever. This cover is really showing its age, and I do have guests planning to come for Thanksgiving, so it's a minor investment. The nice thing is, they've always got one priced to be the high volume seller, and it fits my color scheme well, so this is not a major purchasing dilemma.

So if I can get my act together on tidiness, I will soon have a new living room, with new rugs and a new sofa. And my brain needs fresh starts and visually new things after a ton of lockdown, man. This will practically be like traveling. Frankly, a new reading room for fiction and cocktails would be fantastic.

• Like 4

I also completely missed the Discworld games. This is probably certainly not something I should know about right now.

Today is the Glorious 25th of May. I went for a walk and many lilacs of the later variety were in full bloom. Today is the proper time to rebel against your oppressive work tasks.

Level 56  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

6 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I also completely missed the Discworld games. This is probably certainly not something I should know about right now.

If it helps, they're so old that they're unplayable even on their native platforms.

7 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Today is the Glorious 25th of May. I went for a walk and many lilacs of the later variety were in full bloom. Today is the proper time to rebel against your oppressive work tasks.

Your walk sounds delightful, and appropriately revolutionary. I should probably make a cake in honor of Lord Winder and a certain phantom who walks by him, but I can't be bothered. Maybe tomorrow will be the start of cake.

• Like 2

Given that cake is so pivotal to this book, I should consider types of cake that I'm not making, but might one day soon, if I get my act together.

Banana bread. Does that count as a cake? I feel it should.

Spice cake. Om nom nom.

Lemon cake.

Orange cranberry bread. Like banana bread, really more of a cake. I have too many cranberries in the freezer, so this one is kind of mandatory.

Chocolate, of course, though I don't quite have a good recipe for it.

Scones.

Cupcakes. Everyone needs the occasional cupcake.

Blueberry muffins and/or lazy cake squares. See banana bread.

I swapped around my Amazon subscriptions, and now I have almond flour and powdered not-sugar for making butter cream icing. God, I want cake. Decadent macro-compliant cake. With a nice espresso.

• Like 7