1 hour ago, Salinger said:

Thanks for all your support in my challenge ❤️ xx

You're welcome! I hope it helps. Drop by any time if you need a change of scenery. :)

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

8 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Given that cake is so pivotal to this book, I should consider types of cake that I'm not making, but might one day soon, if I get my act together.

Sounds like Mrs. Cake leaving her precognition on and being a bit literal.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

12 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Also, Pepsi now has a mango flavor. Who knew? This is either going to be amazing or terrible, but I do like me some mango.

I used to love Pepsi but a few years back I lost my smell and taste buds for a few weeks. When they came back I hated Pepsi/Coke they taste like industrial cleaner with cigarette butts in them. Or at least what I would imagine they would taste like. ANYWAYS. I feel mango pepsi would be a weird combination. Did you like it?  

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sounds like Mrs. Cake leaving her precognition on and being a bit literal.

Ah, if only I were coming put of lockdown a small medium... and knew for sure there would be cake.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

11 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

If it helps, they're so old that they're unplayable even on their native platforms.

Actually, that's where ScummVM comes in. The first two play perfectly with that. The third game might present more issues.

But what really helps is this: they're not commercially available anywhere any more, so either you'd have to resort to an illegal download, or have to find a used copy on ebay or something...

• Like 1

Active challenges: Improve Ankle Mobility | Walk to Mordor and Back Again | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP

2021 threads: Respawn | Challenge V | VI

2018-19 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV

22 minutes ago, Rookie said:

I used to love Pepsi but a few years back I lost my smell and taste buds for a few weeks. When they came back I hated Pepsi/Coke they taste like industrial cleaner with cigarette butts in them. Or at least what I would imagine they would taste like. ANYWAYS. I feel mango pepsi would be a weird combination. Did you like it?  

I will need to drink more than one to decide. I think I preferred it on ice to room temperature. I feel like that changed the flavor profile a lot. I've decided I do like mango soda. It's combining it with Pepsi flavor I need to try again.

I'm not a huge Pepsi/Coke fan. It's not bad, but it can be a bit harsh, like you say. I mostly only get some when there's rum around. Alas, my two sodas of choice were unavailable.

1 minute ago, sarakingdom said:

I will need to drink more than one to decide. I think I preferred it on ice to room temperature. I feel like that changed the flavor profile a lot. I've decided I do like mango soda. It's combining it with Pepsi flavor I need to try again.

I'm not a huge Pepsi/Coke fan. It's not bad, but it can be a bit harsh, like you say. I mostly only get some when there's rum around. Alas, my two sodas of choice were unavailable.

I didn't really like coke out of the can before.. but fountain coke was good. Because for some reason that matters lol Maybe it was because it was less harsh. I too like mango soda but minus the pepsi and coke parts.

I like that you took into consideration that cold vs room temperature might make a difference! I like A&W rootbeer.. I can have it room temperature or cold. But I don't like it over ice because it loses its..foaminess? 

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

In other news, sleep of any sort would be nice, and my body's just not on board. This pisses me off, because I have things to do, and my deficit got worked down to 12 hours.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Actually, that's where ScummVM comes in. The first two play perfectly with that. The third game might present more issues.

I believe I read that Pratchett gave ScummVM permission to do a nonprofit version of the third. Whether or not it'll happen...

• Like 1

If you like mango soda, mango juice and club soda make a decent and easily accessible substitute.

I agree that all your forms of cake sound lovely. I am currently out of cake and will have to subsist on ice cream until I have time to bake.

Level 56  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

7 minutes ago, Mistr said:

If you like mango soda, mango juice and club soda make a decent and easily accessible substitute.

Mango juice is sadly outside my macros. But I think I have some mango flavoring I got for jello.

8 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I agree that all your forms of cake sound lovely. I am currently out of cake and will have to subsist on ice cream until I have time to bake.

I am not at home to the 'i' word this summer. Though I will learn to make kulfi pops.

• Like 1

All this talk of cake is making me very much want to make one.  Aren't they supposed to be coming to an end already?

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, Spot Reduce [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

All this talk of cake is making me very much want to make one.  Aren't they supposed to be coming to an end already?

Yes, the cake has ended.  My cake is low carb, though, so technically not cake in the Winderian sense.

• Like 1

You inspired me to make banana bread yesterday.  My excuse is that it was cold out and having the oven on for an hour was a way to keep the house warm without turning on the furnace.

I am not fooling myself about the "bread" vs. "cake" nature of the baked good. Anything that starts out with creaming butter and sugar is cake. :P 

• Like 1

Level 56  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

I took a brain weasel day or two  and spent yesterday nerding out on quantified self stuff, so I seem to be moving into a tracking phase. (Look, when my brain wants to do a thing, and that thing is something useful, I've learned to let it.) In the process of installing better quantified self apps on my phone, preferably with good data export, I did a little visual refresh on my phone, so at least something is getting cleaned. I'm choosing to reframe this as the organized cleaning center of my brain coming back online in little sputtering gasps.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Mistr said:

You inspired me to make banana bread yesterday.  My excuse is that it was cold out and having the oven on for an hour was a way to keep the house warm without turning on the furnace.

Huh, usually the excuse is brown bananas that need to get used somehow...

• Haha 1

Week 3 Day 5

I'm in denial about the Friday nature of today.

Wheels to Spin:

1. Hydrate
  2. Hang laundry
  3. Clear desk square 1
  4. Clear desk square 2
  5. Clear desk square 3
  6. Bag all the trash bins
  7. Take out the trash
  8. Dishes
  9. Sleep

I've had some slippage due to brain days, some of the gears need some work. If I do these all, the reward is pizza night. (Especially since I now know the discrepancy between my actual calories and my target is something like 600-800 calories.)

Priority Gears:

1. Dishes
  2. Yogatorium
  3. Recycling
  4. Finish Hogswatch - if it helps, put on Hogfather

To Spin Later :

1. Hang laundry
  2. Put away package contents
  3. Browse bathroom organizers for bath and under sink, and for hall

To Spin Much Later:

1. Make a cake
  2. Refill shampoo 

Future Gears:

Spoiler

My bathroom is super close to being a turned machine. It just needs a little polishing up. These won't get me totally done, cuz I do have two small boxes of the random stuff that collects in bathroom cupboards to go through, but it will get it all into a good "maintain this" pattern, and I can remove it from my hotspot list.

1. Improved shower spray
  2. Discard some stuff in the shower
  3. Dust the shelves
  4. Dust the baseboards
  5. Steam clean
  6. Order new bath mat and organizers
  7. Measure the undersink for a new organiser
  8. Tidy towel shelf
  9. Tidy bath shelf
  10. Organize the misc shelf in a good enough for now way

The next gear is my living room/office. There are some delays here, cuz my new rugs won't come quickly, but it's on the verge of a revamp and needs some prep.

1. Move the storage cabinets and give them a temporary decorative pass just to get some stuff out of the way
  2. Order new rugs and sofa cover
  3. Get my "to be mailed" pile packaged and mailed
  4. Get the books on my table shelved
  5. Vacuum repair testing #1
  6. Vacuum repair testing #2
  7. Probably order that vacuum part for the good one
  8. Tidy up the bookshelves
  9. Tidy the display shelves
  10. Solve the storage problem, if it's not done by this time
  11. Clean and roll the rug
  12. Wash and swap the throw blankets
  13. Dust things
  14. Analyse the workspace untidiness issues and plan fixes

The main part of hall isn't too bad, so it should also be close. (The closet is another matter, and becoming an issue, but that's a matter for when the big things are more squared away.)

1. Find a place for a gift pile, because the big thing is some gifts that are waiting for later this year
  2. Dust and tidy the entry table
  3. Check it for organising needs
  4. Get picture frame to replace the one that fits badly
  5. Move the project supplies

Spun:

Spoiler
  1. Shower
  2. Hydrate
  3. Resume wheel spinning
  4. Get packages
  5. Eat something
  6. Refill cleaning spray
  7. Small grooming task
  8. Watch quantified self video
  9. Refill shower spray
  10. Do laundry
  11. Set up drying rack
  12. Get groceries
  13. Make more food
  14. Eat

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mistr said:

I am not fooling myself about the "bread" vs. "cake" nature of the baked good. Anything that starts out with creaming butter and sugar is cake. :P 

Hey now. It could be cookies!

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31

1 hour ago, Scaly Freak said:

Hey now. It could be cookies!

From the Dutch koekje, or "little cake".

star trek cookie GIF

• Like 2

Fun trivia: cookies and cake are  both "kaka" in Swedish. I still get cake and cookie mixed up sometimes... 🍪

ETA:

Unless you're talking about the kinds of elaborate and decorated cakes people make for birthdays and weddings... that's a tårta.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31

19 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Fun trivia: cookies and cake are  both "kaka" in Swedish. I still get cake and cookie mixed up sometimes... 🍪

I think Mistr understands the fundamental truths of the universe. Anything that starts out with creaming butter and sugar is cake. :D

19 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Unless you're talking about the kinds of elaborate and decorated cakes people make for birthdays and weddings... that's a tårta.

B-b-b-but the sugar! And the butter! And the creaming action! The cake is a lie?

latest?cb=20110908013110

4 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

B-b-b-but the sugar! And the butter! And the creaming action! The cake is a lie?

The cream is in the cake.

image.jpeg.087b7bd8b9a585e6c0f6a57c7a533cd5.jpeg

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Week 3 Day 6

Sooooo I'm realising that for $3, I bought the concentrated equivalent of 48 bottles of cleaning spray, and all I can say is, I'm gonna have to really go wild with the cleaning, mopping, and shower spraying to even make a dent in this before my lease is up. (That's Target dilutable cleaner, for those of you who need 48 bottles of cleaning spray in a hurry. Jesus, six cents per bottle of cleaner? I had no idea the standard dilution of this stuff would be so extreme. I mean, I've mixed it from scratch, I know that's about how much surfactant and stuff is in a bottle of that kind of spray, I just didn't realise I'd be getting it basically at cost.)

God, this means I have to tidy up so I can spray things constantly, doesn't it.

Deep Work 1 Deep Work 2 Deep Work 3 Deep Work 4

Crunch numbers

study
  • Bathroom
  • Hall
Make food
Rest 1 Rest 2 Deep Rest 1 Deep Rest 2
  • Break
  • Dishes
  • Break
  • cupboard reorg
Pick a movie Watch a movie
Start of Day Weekend Business 2 Weekend Business 2

End of Day

• Hydration and setup
  • Sunlight walk
  • Take out recycling
Family call Family call
  • Yoga
  • PM fast clean

Wheels to Spin:

1. Hydrate
  2. Phone call
  3. Hogswatch
  4. Prep mailers
  5. walk

Priority Gears:

1. Dishes
  2. Yogatorium
  3. Recycling
  4. Finish Hogswatch - if it helps, put on Hogfather
  5. Get the bathroom off the list
  6. Get the hall off the list
  7. Cupboard reorg

To Spin Later :

1. Put away package contents
  2. Browse bathroom organizers for bath and under sink, and for hall
  3. Make a cake
  4. Refill shampoo 

Future Gears:

Spoiler

The bathroom is good enough:

1. Discard some stuff in the shower
  2. Dust the shelves
  3. Dust the baseboards
  4. Steam clean
  5. Order new bath mat and organizers
  6. Measure the undersink for a new organiser
  7. Tidy towel shelf
  8. Tidy bath shelf
  9. Organize the misc shelf in a good enough for now way

The living room is good enough:

1. Move the storage cabinets and give them a temporary decorative pass just to get some stuff out of the way
  2. Order new rugs and sofa cover
  3. Get my "to be mailed" pile packaged
  4. ...and then mailed
  5. Get the books on my table shelved
  6. Vacuum repair testing #1
  7. Vacuum repair testing #2
  8. Probably order that vacuum part for the good one
  9. Tidy up the bookshelves
  10. Tidy the display shelves
  11. Solve the storage problem, if it's not done by this time
  12. Clean and roll the rug
  13. Wash and swap the throw blankets
  14. Dust things
  15. Analyse the workspace untidiness issues and plan fixes

The hall is good enough:

1. Find a place for a gift pile, because the big thing is some gifts that are waiting for later this year
  2. Take one set for my use
  3. Dust and tidy the entry table
  4. Check it for organising needs
  5. Get picture frame to replace the one that fits badly
  6. Move the project supplies

Spun:

Spoiler

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Scaly Freak said:

This term doesn't translate well into German 😕 which, by the way, confusingly names biscuits "Kekse" which sounds very like cakes, which is, however, "Kuchen", which is easily confused for kitchens, "Küchen", which is also cuisines. This would be less problematic if I could pronounce u-umlauts, but I can't. I can't even reliably hear the difference, since it doesn't exist in English. Actually this reminds me of a conversation I had with a German when I visited as a teenager. It went something like this:

Him: It's "ooooo"

Me: "oooo"

Him: No, not "oooo", "oooo"

Me: puzzled look
(repeat exchange several times until German gives up)

12 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I took a brain weasel day or two  and spent yesterday nerding out on quantified self stuff, so I seem to be moving into a tracking phase. (Look, when my brain wants to do a thing, and that thing is something useful, I've learned to let it.)

This sounds potentially very useful. Actually, I've noticed that towards the end of my own slug phases, I get a lot more interested in planning, scheduling, and tracking all my challenge stuff. I guess because of the boringness of slug phase and the hope of making things better?

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.