7 minutes ago, 18ck said:

Whaaaaaaaat? 

OK, I withdraw my previous comment. No devices near the bed! Get a paper book. Read till it falls on your face. That's how you know it's time to turn the light out. 

There's a sound reason for it. My biggest loss of sleep is ADHD/anxiety brain going in circles when I'm half asleep, either just before falling asleep or, importantly, when waking up in the middle of the night. Rational sleep decisions cannot be made by half-asleep brain, so I need to prevent it from taking control of the thinking centers of the brain. This is done by having an alternate interesting-yet-familiar verbal signal using my word brain at any point when I'm half asleep. (I also can't have lights on when trying to sleep. I'll fight it to read more. Signals to go to sleep aren't enough, I have to be committed to sleep position.)

But not to worry, I have a setup where I don't need my phone for this. I have a dedicated audiobook-only device and a Bluetooth speaker, so in theory, I don't even need to look at the audiobook device. It works pretty well.

(Except that in practice, I take my phone to bed.)

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

13 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

You know, you have put your finger on one of my biggest unintentional lifestyle changes lately. Working in spaces with others and commuting, constant music and podcast and audiobook. Headphones all day long. I even got two pairs, to have a nighttime set and a daytime set that would charge alternately. Working from home, not so much. Apart from a little daily historical Radio 4, I'm doing fairly little of any of those. I'm even doing slightly less audiobook at bedtime.

So you went from constant brain stimulation in the form of music and pod casts that made you think, to practically nothing, while also removing all in-person social interactions from your life? Yikes. No wonder your brain doesn't know what to do with itself.

Your brain's repeated efforts to make you miserable might simply be a form of acting out from boredom? Bring the podcasts back!

5 minutes ago, 18ck said:

OK, I withdraw my previous comment. No devices near the bed! Get a paper book. Read till it falls on your face. That's how you know it's time to turn the light out. 

This is not intended as a dig at you personally (especially since your post obviously was intended as a joke ;) ), but the "no devices at bed time" fixation is one of the dumbest blanket rules for improving quality of life that I have ever come across. Devices have books on them, audio as well as other kinds. They have music, they have sleep meditations and all sorts of other life quality enhancing features that makes it a very good idea to keep them around for when we are trying to de-stress and go to sleep.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31

8 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm in.

I'm more than willing to move to Europe to make this happen, but I'll have to sort out some sort of EU citizenship or residency.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

1 minute ago, sarakingdom said:

I take my phone to bed

Walk Away Black Girl GIF by HonestyB

• Haha 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

1 minute ago, Scaly Freak said:

So you went from constant brain stimulation in the form of music and pod casts that made you think, to practically nothing, while also removing all in-person social interactions from your life? Yikes. No wonder your brain doesn't know what to do with itself.

I mean, I feel like I'm underrepresenting the quantity of TV, YouTube, and general audio I still do have in my average day. :D

But I am less aggressively filling in the gaps, for certain. And given that I was in part using that audio as an ad hoc ADHD metronome, it could well be a minor issue.

5 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Devices have books on them, audio as well as other kinds. They have music, they have sleep meditations and all sorts of other life quality enhancing features that makes it a very good idea to keep them around for when we are trying to de-stress and go to sleep.

The absolute best sleep routine I've ever met is a sleep mask, a guided body scan meditation to get the muscles to relax, and a very soft audiobook, just loud enough that I can follow it if I don't toss and turn.

5 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

no devices at bed time

There are probably some devices that are safe, but app companies have people whose job it is to keep you constantly looking and scrolling. Having a phone by your bed is like trying to sleep with a hyperactive toddler in the room who's just drunk three sugary espressos. 

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

I mean, I feel like I'm underrepresenting the quantity of TV, YouTube, and general audio I still do have in my average day. :D

But I am less aggressively filling in the gaps, for certain. And given that I was in part using that audio as an ad hoc ADHD metronome, it could well be a minor issue.

Fair enough. And YouTube is sorely underrated as a brain-calming and soothing audio tool. When I worked in an office and needed to tune out noises around me I had a 3-hour long "ambient space ship sounds" video I played on repeat through the day.

2 minutes ago, 18ck said:

Having a phone by your bed is like trying to sleep with a hyperactive toddler in the room who's just drunk three sugary espressos. 

Only if we assume the phone's owner lacks the ability to put the phone away and leave it alone when it's time to sleep.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31

6 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Fair enough. And YouTube is sorely underrated as a brain-calming and soothing audio tool. When I worked in an office and needed to tune out noises around me I had a 3-hour long "ambient space ship sounds" video I played on repeat through the day.

I use mynoise.net for that, but same, I do a lot of ambient sound. That's what I've traded my bedtime audiobooks for many days.

I watch a lot of gardening shows. No drama, no conflict, just people talking enthusiastically about plants all day, which, frankly, real people could stand to do a little more often. 

11 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Only if we assume the phone's owner lacks the ability to put the phone away and leave it alone when it's time to sleep.

I've blocked my only real offenders on that front. I've found I can't try to do one last job and put together a quick grocery order or finish off a quick Amazon order after 11pm. I don't buy when half asleep, but it does trigger my "must finish this job or else" hyperfocus that late at night. I'll research The Right Things to death, even when I'm wildly off my original task, and I'll find myself trying to solve totally different issues with the right shopping cart. Beyond that, I'm pretty good at sticking on some audio and going to sleep.

Where it's not helpful is waking up. I will get absorbed in mail and other things for quite a while after waking up, and have a very slow start to the day. That's mostly why I try to ban it in bed.

9 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I use mynoise.net for that

Bookmarked, and sent to my work email. Thanks for this one, this will get lots of use. :) 

I like watching cooking shows for the same reasons you watch gardening shows. They have happy people talking about something the are passionate about and love doing, and watching that makes me happy.

11 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I've blocked my only real offenders on that front. 

Yes, it's taken some trial and error, and experimentation, to configure the phone and the apps on it to make it easier to put it aside, but as long as the phone is where my sleep meditations are, the phone stays by my bed side. :) 

Book Riot Challenge 2021

43 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Bookmarked, and sent to my work email. Thanks for this one, this will get lots of use. :) 

It is a glorious treasure trove of infinitely customizable sound, all tuned to play nicely together. It's even designed to let you take tracks from different ones and recombine them, and there's a massive list of community created ones. Sound geek paradise.

• Like 1

Week 0 Day 7

Today's gears to turn:

• Clear my desk
  • Do the job I need a clear desk for

Sure, there's more I want to do and should do - for instance, I really need to dry those clothes, or I will soon be naked - but there are priorities here, and I need to focus.

Wheels to Spin:

• Podcasts on
  • Clear one desk square
  • Clear a second desk square
  • Clear a third desk square
  • Wipe the four clear desk squares
  • Tidy up two more desk squares
  • Get out my equipment
  • Break
  • Set up soldering job
  • Do soldering job
  • Check for an easy test of soldering job
  • Get out code
  • Write new code
  • Ditto
  • Break
  • Make food
  • Check laundry
  • Dry laundry

Spun:

Spoiler
  1. Mothers day business
  2. Make food
  3. Eat food

• Like 4

7 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

but it does trigger my "must finish this job or else" hyperfocus

7 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

the phone stays by my bed side. :)

Well, look, I am probably being a nosey old git, but tbh you both sound like addicts who are trying to convince themselves that they're not addicts. I'd have a think about this one if I were you. Just anecdotally, the number of people complaining about poor sleep is definitely higher now than it was when the most high tech thing in the house was a tape deck, and I think this is not a coincidence. 

16 minutes ago, 18ck said:

Well, look, I am probably being a nosey old git, but tbh you both sound like addicts who are trying to convince themselves that they're not addicts. I'd have a think about this one if I were you. Just anecdotally, the number of people complaining about poor sleep is definitely higher now than it was when the most high tech thing in the house was a tape deck, and I think this is not a coincidence. 

As a late smart phone adopter, I can assure you, my sleep was much worse without, and so were my anxiety levels, because without intervention, I'll hyperfocus on that overnight.

Also, kudos on selectively misrepresenting the statement that I've already blocked the apps that cause the behavior you chose to highlight as a problem. 😛

• Like 1

OK, sorry, I'm being a pain in the arse aren't I. 

21 minutes ago, 18ck said:

I'm not going to take advise on smart phone management from someone who compares having a phone within reach at bed time, to trying to sleep with a hyper active toddler in the room. The level of phone app FOMO you have to reach before this is a valid comparison is frightening, and probably a symptom of a problem the phone's owner should seek professional help for.

2 minutes ago, 18ck said:

Nah. Narrow-minded, lacking in nuance, and not trying hard enough to see things from someone else's point of view? Yes, definitely. But a pain? No. You'll have to try a lot harder than you have so far to reach that point. ;) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

4 minutes ago, 18ck said:

Well, if I'm still hypothetically god for the sake of this argument, a small offering to deter a minor plague of frogs wouldn't go amiss. Just something modest; I'm really a very even-tempered god.

Well, if I'm still hypothetically god for the sake of this argument, a small offering to deter a minor plague of frogs wouldn't go amiss. Just something modest; I'm really a very even-tempered god.

Please accept this sacrificial rabbit

Cat Rabbit GIF

1 minute ago, 18ck said:

Please accept this sacrificial rabbit

Cat Rabbit GIF

It is fuzzy and angry and I love it. You may proceed without worry about wading through puddles of frogs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Gah, all this eating makes me hungry. Then I have to eat again. Is it normal to feel hungry in the morning? I am unconvinced by this, guys.

No, no, it's probably a good thing. Probably I was indeed undereating. Feeling hunger again, probably a good sign. Stupid food, why so complicated.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Gah, all this eating makes me hungry. Then I have to eat again. Is it normal to feel hungry in the morning? I am unconvinced by this, guys.

No, no, it's probably a good thing. Probably I was indeed undereating. Feeling hunger again, probably a good sign. Stupid food, why so complicated.

I think it's normal to feel hungry in the morning if you are hungry in the morning. Becoming hungry from eating is something I have only heard someone complain about if they were under eating, either unintentionally or from dieting, so the pattern makes sense. And hunger signals are difficult, but if you have been under eating I would say that when in doubt, you should probably try to eat, just to be safe. The body tends to adjust hunger signals and become more obvious with them, once it has learned to trust that there will be another meal in the relatively near future, so we don't have to eat all the things right now. 

And really, when the body is hungry, eating is almost always better than not eating.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

19 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I use mynoise.net for that, but same, I do a lot of ambient sound. That's what I've traded my bedtime audiobooks for many days.

Currently listening to the preset En Route on this page and enjoying it very much. Thank you again for pointing me to this fantastic resource of brain calming sounds. :) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

21 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Currently listening to the preset En Route on this page and enjoying it very much. Thank you again for pointing me to this fantastic resource of brain calming sounds. :) 

It has the benefit of being much lower bandwidth than streaming video; once it loads in the browser, you're basically offline. You can hit the "animate" button if you want some subtle variation over a long period.

Plus I have to admire the sheer ridiculous depth of options. Not so much choice fatigue as choice insanity. And the artisanal sound crafting, when you hit ones where he has photos of the trip through the Sahara where he recorded the sounds and so on. (By the way, there's a rather good sauna one, if you're so inclined.)

• Thanks 1