Week 1 Day 1

In honor of mother's day this weekend,  a small slice of life in the Sto Plains:

Simnel cake is of course named after Ned Simnel, blacksmith and early steam engine inventor, who built the combination harvester and earned himself a polite feud with Death.

Wheels to Spin:

1. Do laundry
  2. Dry laundry
  3. Eat
  4. Prep ingredients for moussaka
  5. put away the food
  6. Reset the front half of my desk

To Spin Later:

1. Check medical paperwork
  2. Tidy the hall
  3. Wash some leftover containers
  4. Make moussaka
  5. Make a second batch of moussaka
  6. Order second batch of summer stuff
  7. Clean one extra desk square

Spun:

Spoiler
  1. Get up early
  2. Make a damn sandwich
  3. Eat a damn sandwich
  4. Job 1
  5. Job 2
  6. Job 3
  7. Job 4
  8. Job 5
  9. Job 6
  10. Job 7
  11. Eat a little
  12. Job 8
  13. Job 9
  14. Order summer stuff
  15. Find the stuff
  16. Pack up the stuff
  17. Put away the biohazards
  18. Wash my hands
  19. Code
  20. Code
  21. Eat a little
  22. Code
  23. Code
  24. Carry the stuff
  25. Carry the stuff
  26. Make with the social
  27. Hydrate
  28. Meds
  29. Break

• Like 7

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

@Yasha92said:

The therapist suggested verbalising it when I got to the “I really should...” 

1. It is my choice and I choose not to...

2. It is my choice and I choose to...

Actually having to say “I choose not to” feels icky

Terry Pratchett said:

"And may I just add, Mr Lipwig," [said Lord Vetinari,] "that behind you, there is a door. If at any time in this interview you feel you wish to leave, you have only to step through it and you'll never hear from me again."

Moist filed that under "deeply suspicious".

[...]

"Are you accepting my offer, Mr Lipwig?" said Lord Vetinari sharply.

Moist looked at him. "Excuse me," he said, standing up. "I'd just like to check something."

There were two men in black standing behind his chair. It wasn't a particularly neat black, more the black worn by people who just don't want little marks to show. They looked like clerks until you met their eyes. They stood aside as Moist walked towards the door, which, as promised, was indeed there. He opened it very carefully.

There was nothing beyond. And that included a floor.

In the manner of one who was going to try all possibilities, he took the remnant of the spoon out of his pocket and let it drop. It was quite a long time before he heard the jingle. Then he went back and sat in the chair.

"The prospect of freedom?" he said.

"Exactly," said Lord Vetinari. "There is always a choice."

"You mean... I could choose certain death."

"A choice, nevertheless," said Lord Vetinari. "Or perhaps an alternative. You see, I believe in freedom, Mr Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise."

We are fortunate to have a patrician who is so committed to freedom. In memory of our comrades who died for freedom (and also hard-boiled eggs), we should make choices. Lots and lots of choices. (And also eggs.)

It is my choice, and now I choose to hydrate and rest. (That's an easy one, because I was up early today, and got my most important things done.)

• Like 8

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Who's going to grab @Machete and @Sloth the Enduring?  They've been gone too long.

@Machete, your finals are over and you need a challenge to get your head straight. Trust me on this. No monk left behind. (Would be nice to get a check-in from @Teirin too.)

Sloth isn't a monk, so of course that's harder, but we could probably compliment him till he cracks, or something.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Whoa. I needed that rest. I fell asleep right through till my grocery delivery, and they had to call me. (It was when they arrived, not a big deal, but still.)

Cooking has been downgraded to "cook enough to get the ingredients into the pipeline so they don’t sit around", given that I'm both that tired and got an "I'm ordering dinner tonight" grocery order.

But I definitely need dry clean clothes. I have to go out tomorrow, and I'm down to the crazy shit you wear when nothing is clean.

Adulting. Not all its cracked up to be. You still have to take naps and there's no food or clean clothes.

Sad Wife Swap GIF by Paramount Network

• Like 6

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

Adulting. Not all its cracked up to be. You still have to take naps and there's no food or clean clothes.

Being a kid is way better.  I mean no one likes forced naps, but having someone else figure out what has to be cooked for dinner and having clean clothes magically appear in your drawers is highly underrated.

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, Spot Reduce [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

I gotta be honest. As much as adulting can be ass, I ain't going back. I like being in charge more than I hate chores.

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 minute ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I gotta be honest. As much as adulting can be ass, I ain't going back. I like being in charge more than I hate chores.

This. Especially since I am also in charge of the chores.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31

36 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Being a kid is way better.  I mean no one likes forced naps, but having someone else figure out what has to be cooked for dinner and having clean clothes magically appear in your drawers is highly underrated.

I was the laundry folder in our house from the age of seven or so, so the appearance of clean clothes in my room was never magical to me. And I was occasionally the cook. But I didn't have to do all the steps myself, and that is key.

13 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I don't want to go back, either. Being a kid was boring. I just thought adulting would be better than this.

11 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

This. Especially since I am also in charge of the chores.

Arguably, this is not the wisest thing for me to be.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

And I was occasionally the cook.

Being the cook isn't so bad.  Choosing what to have for dinner every day is the real chore

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, Spot Reduce [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Just now, WhiteGhost said:

Being the cook isn't so bad.  Choosing what to have for dinner every day is the real chore

The cook does that in my family. All the same job. Usually one involving opening the fridge and seeing what we actually have.

As an adult, I decided this was tamale, salad, and ice cream night. I'd better choose to eat that soon, because I'd also like to choose to be in bed in an hour, and, uh...

Also, I'm choosing to punt everything else till tomorrow. Food and sleep.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 1:36 PM, sarakingdom said:

One occasionally saw monks on the streets of Ankh-Morpork, nondescript men in saffron robes who banged a tambourine or swept the streets. No one knew why. Who cares what monks did? They were just... monks. Except, in the course of city business, Sara had learned that, first, they had a temple by the shonky shop near Cockbill Street; second, they were History Monks who, it was rumored, did wild things with time; and, third, someone* in the order with more sense of humor than good practical sense had allowed a Nac Mac Feegle to join the ranks, and now he was running around Ankh-Morpork in a saffron kilt being a pain in her ass.

*It was @ChrisWithaStick.

To be fair, you were the one that kept talking about drinking pints.  It was bound to happen. 

Also, hi!

• Like 2

Human | Plays with Sticks | Monkish Leanings | Rangerish Overtones

Occasionally Updated Facebook

52 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

To be fair, you were the one that kept talking about drinking pints.  It was bound to happen. 

Also, hi!

HE RISES FROM THE NORTHWESTERN ABYSS. Hi there! Good to know you're still alive up there.  Come visit.

I've heard Sloth is slothing along, fyi.

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Choosing what to have for dinner every day is the real chore

As most of us like cooking pretty much (my wife, my son and me, the little she-devil not very much though) i've heard the above mention quite a few times from our default cook.

3 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I just thought adulting would be better than this.

I'm actually enjoying the heck out of being an adult. But i try to do as many of things i want to do, and that seems to work out pretty good. Managing expectations is definitely one of those things though.

... a little odd in the head ...

8 minutes ago, Mr_Willes said:

I've heard Sloth is slothing along, fyi.

He needs to sloth along here. But that is good to know.

8 minutes ago, Mr_Willes said:

As most of us like cooking pretty much (my wife, my son and me, the little she-devil not very much though) i've heard the above mention quite a few times from our default cook.

Yeah, the issue with cooking is not making the individual meal, but the neverendingness of it.

5 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Yeah, the issue with cooking is not making the individual meal, but the neverendingness of it.

For me personally, this became less of an issue when I begun to genuinely enjoy the process of cooking. If I didn't, being forced to do it regularly would be intolerable.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31

3 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

For me personally, this became less of an issue when I begun to genuinely enjoy the process of cooking. If I didn't, being forced to do it regularly would be intolerable.

I like cooking in waves. I just can't love it all the time.

Week 0 was the week of, I dunno, loose ends. Tiny level ups to shake off the cobwebs. And Dr Lawn week, where 2/3rds of the Dr Lawn goal was crossed off the list.

Week 1 is going to be movement prep week. In the past three weeks, my lockdown lifestyle has finally exceeded my body's amount of cope. My clothes are fitting differently, and the muscles in my lower back are insanely tight. Like "no walkies for you" tight. I hate it. So I need to clear the yogatorium, down gallons of water, get out into the sun, and up my movement a lot. I need to stretch shit and move shit and sit on the floor. I'm also gonna tighten up my macros and shift into a gentle intermittent fasting pattern. (My eating has been too irregular to do a sharper one right away.)

And I need to work on rest still. My body is just not having it some days.

• Like 1

Week 1 Day 2

Wheels to Spin:

1. Reset the front half of my desk
  2. Prep ingredients
  3. Freeze some stuff

To Spin Later:

1. Do laundry
  2. Take out trash
  3. Get packages
  4. Open mail
  5. First clearing pass of yogatorium
  6. Tidy the hall

To Spin Tomorrow:

1. Dry laundry
  2. Wash some leftover containers
  3. Make moussaka
  4. Put away single servings
  5. Clear pickle shelf in fridge
  6. Make a second batch of moussaka
  7. Order second batch of summer stuff
  8. Clean one extra desk square
  9. Clean the French press
  10. One stupid minute of walking (but leave the half hour free)
  11. One stupid minute of bear crawl
  12. Drink iced coffee like a civilised person
  13. portion and freeze stuff

Spun:

Spoiler
  1. Hunt clothes
  2. Eat a thing
  3. Transit
  4. Get poked by needles
  5. Transit
  6. Hit walking goal
  7. Hydrate
  8. Highly necessary nap
  9. Schedule second needle poking
  10. Eat
  11. Meds

• Like 4

Yogatorium is an excellent word XD

Fingers crosses the back unjanks soon

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Yasha92 said:

Yogatorium is an excellent word XD

Fingers crosses the back unjanks soon

It's better to clean a yogatorium than the left half of your living room rug. Everything is getting named for its purpose now.

Ugh, the back thing. It's craziness. It is prone to tightness, but this is silly. The good news is, it's not spasming or whatever. But I step outside my door and it goes, "Oh, oh, I'm a fragile flower, stretch me, life is haaaaaard, I need a massage, this is too much." This is way beyond reduced fitness levels. I'm being betrayed here. Stabbed in the back, as it were, by my back. It's going back onto the yoga regimen and it's going to like it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

But I step outside my door and it goes, "Oh, oh, I'm a fragile flower, stretch me, life is haaaaaard, I need a massage, this is too much."

There's no better comparison. My plants right next to humidifiers and grow lights start wilting when they get watered two hours too late or it's two degrees to cold. Two steps out of the house and there's plants somehow growing in concrete of all things. Nothing ever makes sense. Hope you can yoga your back into compliance though.

• Like 1