WhiteGhost Celebrates Mardi Gras

54 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

Not really. Got a shot at the emergency services and ten minutes later I was moving freely again. Recovery was only a couple of weeks where I had to avoid lifting (which wasn't easy with a then-newborn baby) and where only a distinct few movements were slightly painful. Could've been a LOT worse.

That's nothing compared to a 6-month+ recovery...

I had forgotten what thread this was and didn't remember deffy has posted in it. 

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

23 hours ago, deftona said:

I'm glad to hear your neck is better. And I'm looking forward to finishing all the side quests, then picking a new game too! 

I have a feeling we are going to run out of side quests before too long.  We should probably start thinking about what to do next.  I have never played Gears so maybe that?  Ghostlet watched us play for a bit and thought we were playing Halo, which is really quite similar (depending on which one)  Reach is probably the most similar of the lot.

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sorry about your neck. I once threw out my back for three days after a sneeze.

+

15 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Classic way to strain something... Glad you feel better already, hope it continues to heal well. :)

I once managed to strain my hip while picking up my glasses in the morning. Fun times. xD 

+

8 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

I once had my back giving out from bending over to pick up a sheet of paper that had fallen off the printer at work. Spent about half an hour doubled over until an ambulance came...

+

15 hours ago, deftona said:

I once threw out my back for 6 (and counting) months dismounting my boyfriend. 

Bodies are weird, yo!  A few years ago Ghostess slipped a disk once pulling her pajamas out of her drawer and was bed-ridden for a month.  I feel like this is way too common for something we tend to shrug at and say "huh, that was weird"

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You win.

You know, I don't really think "win" is the right word for this :P 

6 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Not really. Got a shot at the emergency services and ten minutes later I was moving freely again. Recovery was only a couple of weeks where I had to avoid lifting (which wasn't easy with a then-newborn baby) and where only a distinct few movements were slightly painful. Could've been a LOT worse.

That's nothing compared to a 6-month+ recovery...

If nothing else you get a cool story out of it

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I had forgotten what thread this was and didn't remember deffy has posted in it. 

Deffy's situation is really the worst of this kind that I have heard about.  

-------------------------

Yesterday is normally my D&D heavy day but in the end I didn't get any D&D in at all.  I think my family D&D campaign might be dead.  the niece and nephew I started it for have both kind of lost interest and my best friend's kid only wants to play if the other kids are there, so I don't know if this is going to happen anymore :(   My other sister and her grown son both want to continue but it isn't really as fun with so few players

Instead of playing D&D I spent the day instead doing very little.  I played Valhalla for a little bit and got caught up on NF for a bit.   In the afternoon I went down into the yard with Ghostlet and we played badminton for an hour or so.  It is a lot more fun playing with him now that he has developed his hand-eye coordination better.  

The rest of the day was most likely spent doing something else, but I can't remember what.  It was probably very important stuff.  

• Like 1

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

I have never played Gears so maybe that? 

I have played all the Gears games except for the last one which I am part way through playing with TH. This isn't a "no" for the earlier ones, I would prefer to play something I haven't played before but I am not dead set against it. I tried Halo Reach and couldn't get into it but I am not opposed to trying again. We'll get on our mics and have a look through the GamePass library together maybe at some point?

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

If nothing else you get a cool story out of it

It was the only time I'd been in the inside of an ambulance. 😎

• Like 2

Active challenges: Improve Ankle Mobility | Walk to Mordor and Back Again | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP

2021 threads: Respawn | Challenge V | VI

2018-19 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV

15 hours ago, deftona said:

I have played all the Gears games except for the last one which I am part way through playing with TH. This isn't a "no" for the earlier ones, I would prefer to play something I haven't played before but I am not dead set against it. I tried Halo Reach and couldn't get into it but I am not opposed to trying again. We'll get on our mics and have a look through the GamePass library together maybe at some point?

Oh yeah, new stuff is good because there are so many options out there to choose from.  And it isn't as if we have to guess right the first time.  We can try stuff out and dump it if we don't like it.

10 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

It was the only time I'd been in the inside of an ambulance. 😎

I have been lucky enough in my life to have never seen the inside of any emergency vehicle.

------------------------------------

Yesterday started out with church which was enjoyable as always.

I did nothing of importance in the afternoon, mostly watching a history series on Youtube.  In the evening I took Ghostlet to his swimming practice and then when we got back we went out into the yard to play some more badminton.  It didn't feel much like a workout at the time, but I am feeling a little bit sore from it today.

Later on in the evening I sat down for a session zero for @DarK_RaideR's new Five Torches Deep campaign, together with @Jarric to get our characters sorted and to get up to speed on how the game was going to be run.  I have to say, I am really looking forward to this and will be sad when my character dies (very high statistical probability).  I will have to be very careful in keeping him alive as long as possible.

• Like 6

Level 2 Ninja

19 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Later on in the evening I sat down for a session zero for @DarK_RaideR's new Five Torches Deep campaign, together with @Jarric to get our characters sorted and to get up to speed on how the game was going to be run.  I have to say, I am really looking forward to this and will be sad when my character dies (very high statistical probability).  I will have to be very careful in keeping him alive as long as possible.

Honestly? As a veteran of high-casualty settings, PC-preservation is a matter of some things you can control and some things you can't. Figure out which is which, and you'll be about 95% ahead of the curve. The rest is down to reading risk vs reward and rolling the dice.

With that being said, do not be afraid to Leroy Jenkins some shit every now and again. Because sometimes the reward is worth the risk. :)

• Like 3
55 minutes ago, Kishi said:

With that being said, do not be afraid to Leroy Jenkins some shit every now and again. Because sometimes the reward is worth the risk. :)

Whether it turns out well or not, people will talk about it for a long time.

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

8 hours ago, Kishi said:

Honestly? As a veteran of high-casualty settings, PC-preservation is a matter of some things you can control and some things you can't. Figure out which is which, and you'll be about 95% ahead of the curve. The rest is down to reading risk vs reward and rolling the dice.

Yeah, for this one I am going to have think really hard about what kind of risks are worth taking, but I feel like the costs are always going to be significantly higher than what I am used to so prudence is going to be key.    I have Jon's game to get all of the Leroy Jenkins out of my system ;) 

7 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Whether it turns out well or not, people will talk about it for a long time.

haha, the stuff of legends! :D 

------------------------

Yesterday was pouring down rain all day so I spent pretty much the entire day planted on the sofa playing AC Valhalla.  I finished up the Oxenefordenshire (sp?) arc and then headed south to plunder London.  Don't worry, though, UK friends - it wasn't the REAL London, just a cheap knockoff spelled Lunden.

• Like 4

Level 2 Ninja

On 5/29/2021 at 3:33 AM, WhiteGhost said:

As I did so, I somehow managed to strain my neck

Confused Old Man GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Joey Laughing GIF - Joey Laughing Point - Discover & Share GIFs | Clean  jokes, Jokes, Friends funny

Best You So Old GIFs | Gfycat

Laughing GIFs | Tenor

All i kept thinking while i was reading up on your thread: "i've got to make fun of him with this!"

Thanx!

Wink And Kiss GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

... a little odd in the head ...

On 5/27/2021 at 7:46 PM, WhiteGhost said:

I prefer hard shells, but all I have on hand are soft tortillas so that's what we had

200.gif

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] <--Current Challenge

12 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

All i kept thinking while i was reading up on your thread: "i've got to make fun of him with this!"

sad cartoon Memes &amp; GIFs - Imgflip

5 hours ago, cn3wton said:

200.gif

^ actual footage

-----------------------------------------

Yesterday I finally got out to the park for a workout.  I have really taken way too many days off and it was really showing.   My gymnastics stuff was still there but harder.  Calsthenics tricks, though, have taken a huge hit and I feel like I have put myself back by months.  I am hoping that when I get back to regular training next month I will be able to get back quickly what I have lost.  The only thing that I feel was actually making progress was my bent arm planche work

In the afternoon I spent some time playing Valhalla, and have started the scropscire arc.

Once Ghostlet came home he finished up his homework really quickly so we went down into the yard to play badminton.  We played for an hour or so until it started raining and we had to come up.  I practiced playing left handed  which was challenging

For dinner I made some bacon wrapped pork shoulder by marinating some pork shoulder in apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke, garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder and paprika.  I wrapped it in bacon prior to cooking and paired it with  some garlic broccoli.  It was pretty good, but I wasn't super impressed with the marinade (which I just made up because I wanted to try something different)

1UkT5Bd.jpg  

• Like 10

Level 2 Ninja

Liquid smoke!

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bvrs4j6zuwk28n6poje5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] <--Current Challenge

9 hours ago, cn3wton said:

Liquid smoke!

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bvrs4j6zuwk28n6poje5

Natural Liquid Smoke by Colgin - Hickory – VeganEssentials Online Store

I am not certain about the physics for converting smoke from a gas to a liquid, but it sure makes food taste good

------------------------------------------

Yesterday was my weekday D&D game and boy was it challenging for my players.  The dungeon setup has higher than average random encounters built into it, so every time the payers try to have a rest they keep getting interrupted.  They finally decided to clear out the giant aquarium and they were doing really well at first.  As long as they stood back and attacked at range they were pretty much safe but the party got impatient and decided to charge in which is where things got really messy.  At least two of the party members went down and another couple were close.  If it wasn't for the wizard (played by @Jupiter) dropping a bunch of fireballs at opportune moments, it could have been a lot worse.  I think the only 2 players who came out of it unscathed were the wizard and rogue (played by @juliebarkley) who just stayed out in the hallway the whole time with ranged attacks.  I decided to be kind and let them take an uninterrupted long rest afterwards because otherwise they would be at a very high risk of TPK and that isn't fun for anyone.

In the afternoon Ghostess and I headed over to the tattoo shop and she got her shoulder tattoo finished up.  She has a very nice snake crawling through some flowers on her shoulder blade.  My next session got scheduled for next Monday, at which point my current one should be pretty much finished.  However, I have decided to make it into a full sleeve, so I will probably be doing a lot more tattoo work over the next few months.

We got home in the evening and I headed up some meat stuffed biscuits (ShaoBing) that Ghostess brought home the day before and paired it with some mashed cucumbers in vinegar and garlic (Pai HuangGua).

By this point I was completely exhausted and went to bed "early" (just after midnight)

• Like 6

Level 2 Ninja

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

In the afternoon Ghostess and I headed over to the tattoo shop and she got her shoulder tattoo finished up.  She has a very nice snake crawling through some flowers on her shoulder blade.  My next session got scheduled for next Monday, at which point my current one should be pretty much finished.  However, I have decided to make it into a full sleeve, so I will probably be doing a lot more tattoo work over the next few months.

I'm always curious about ink, and I don't know that I was around your threads if/when you might have talked about it, so is it okay if I ask if there's a specific purpose to it? I always think the stories are cool. Even if it's, "Yo, I think it looks cool."

Anyway, yeah, man, you had a long day. Sounds like it was fun!

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Kishi said:

I'm always curious about ink, and I don't know that I was around your threads if/when you might have talked about it, so is it okay if I ask if there's a specific purpose to it? I always think the stories are cool. Even if it's, "Yo, I think it looks cool."

Anyway, yeah, man, you had a long day. Sounds like it was fun!

Sure, absolutely happy to share :) 

Spoiler

I have thought about getting a tattoo for ages, but never really seriously thought about it until a few years ago.  @Wild Wolf mentioned in a challenge that he was thinking about getting an armor tattoo on his shoulder and I really liked the idea and started thinking more seriously about doing one like that "someday".  I didn't expect I would ever go through with it because 1) my dad is VERY anti-tattoo (he is against any kind of body modification including pierced ears and even gives side-eye to make-up) and 2) Ghostess had never given any indication that she approves of tattoos, which are still much less common here than are in the US.  This all changed when Ghostess showed me her 2021 bucket list and it included getting a tattoo on it.  After discussing it she agreed that she liked the shoulder armor tattoo idea as well and we set about finding a tattoo artist.  For my first tattoo, I wanted to include a lot of imagery that was important to me, so I included a bunch of symbolic images with regard to family and religion, but none of them particularly overt.  For the next part, it is all going to be about stuff that I think looks cool and fits the overall theme of the first one.  I plan to get a vambrace on the outer forearm and a hidden blade from Assassin's Creed on my inner forearm.  Still not sure yet what I am going to do for filler around the elbow area.

---------------------------------

Yesterday morning was very busy.  It was the day we picked up our new Tesla but we needed my FIL's ID card to tade in his old car for it.  As luck would have it, he needed his ID card in the morning because he had a scheduled health checkup.  After dropping Ghostlet off at school, I went directly over to the financial district where my FIL was doing his checkup.  Once he finished getting registered and no longer needed his ID, I picked it up from him and came back home to give it to Ghostess before she left for work.

Once she had gone, I headed over to the park for a workout.  I was feeling pretty tired and new it wouldn't be a great a workout but I figured something was better than nothing so I went anyway.  As expected every thing was difficult but I'm still glad I went because I really need to keep up on the fitness front.

When I got back I took a nice nap and then got caught up on NF.  I was looking though my old instagram posts for a particular picture and saw some foods that I had previously made and suddenly decided that I really wanted spinach stuffed chicken breast.  I ran over to the store to buy some last minute ingredients and it was the first time I have walked into an actual grocery store in a very long time.

peKoFmZ.jpg

It was decent but not nearly as good as the first time I made it.  

I spent most of the evening playing Valhalla until Ghostess got home and then I went down to check out our new car

• Like 7

Level 2 Ninja

Yesterday morning I had to go downtown to the church building to meet up with a contractor who was looking at our microphone situation (it isn't working and we can't figure out why).  I got home around noon at which point I had some breakfast and then plopped myself down on the couch for some Valhalla.  

I played for a few hours until Ghostlet got home, and then we went downstairs to play badminton for a about 45 minutes but it was hard because there was a very stiff breeze blowing the whole time.  around 4pm it was time for "Gaming with Deffy" and we finished up all the last of the Outrider side quests and had to look around for a new game to try.  We decided to go with State of Decay : Juggernaut  for our next session which is looking like next Friday again.  It was a load of fun as always and I am really looking forward to next week.

• Like 6

Level 2 Ninja

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

It was a load of fun as always and I am really looking forward to next week.

It was loads of fun! I especially like how we're getting out of the awkward nerd phase now and having some good conversation too! You're a very interesting man.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, deftona said:

It was loads of fun! I especially like how we're getting out of the awkward nerd phase now and having some good conversation too! You're a very interesting man.

The akward Nerd phase is A Thing. When I went to Steve's book signing in Austin there were 20 of us waiting for the thing to start, all standing in a semi circle, doing social distancing six years before the pandemic, all looking at our shoes.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The akward Nerd phase is A Thing. When I went to Steve's book signing in Austin there were 20 of us waiting for the thing to start, all standing in a semi circle, doing social distancing six years before the pandemic, all looking at out shoes.

This is a perfect word picture. I wasn't there but can understand immediately the entire vibe. :D

• Like 2
On 6/5/2021 at 3:14 PM, deftona said:

I initially wanted to deflect this and say that maybe I am just able to present boring things in an interesting way (my nickname in the army was The Boring Guy) but over the last 24 hours like 4 other people have made this same observation.

19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The akward Nerd phase is A Thing. When I went to Steve's book signing in Austin there were 20 of us waiting for the thing to start, all standing in a semi circle, doing social distancing six years before the pandemic, all looking at our shoes.

Oh yeah, this is probably like the story of all of our lives :D 

18 hours ago, sylph said:

This is a perfect word picture. I wasn't there but can understand immediately the entire vibe. :D

Completely agree

----------------------------

Yesterday our church had an activity for the youth that was planned entirely by the youth.  We went up to a park about an hour outside the city called Beijing Back Gardens (北京后花园) and it was great.  There is a rock climbing section for the casual rock climbers

5cthFcc.jpg

but if you go up past that they had some actual rock climbing routes ranging from pretty easy to very difficult.  Some of the youth leaders are really active climbers and got us all set up with gear and lead climbed all the routes to get the ropes in place.  Once we were all set up we spent a few hours there just letting the kids climb to their hearts desire, and often way beyond that :D  It was really great to see them all come out and challenge themselves, and eve the kids who don't like climbing just hung out, cranked some music and had a good time with their friends. 

4nG6UTb.jpg

Ghostlet did an amazing parkour style wall run cat grab thing halfway up his route where most people were getting stuck.  Afterwards he was telling me how it was the most epic thing he has ever done in whole life :)   I was super proud of him

i1I6Swr.jpg

We got back in the late afternoon and my FIL had me come over and explain how to use our car (We traded in his car for the Tesla, so we gave him my old car to use and I will use the minivan business car*) 

* Buick has done an amazing coup over here in terms of branding their minivans.  Instead of marketing to soccer moms, they sell them as business cars targeting companies that need to ferry clients to meetings.  Pretty much every company has one and Buick has by far the lions share of the market.  In fact GL8 is used as shorthand for this kind of vehicle.

• Like 8

Level 2 Ninja

The climbing day looks so much fun! Well done to Ghostlet too, he must have been getting inspo for the parkour watching you play Assassin's Creed. See, western video games aren't all about corrupting the youth!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Buick has done an amazing coup over here in terms of branding their minivans.  Instead of marketing to soccer moms, they sell them as business cars targeting companies that need to ferry clients to meetings.  Pretty much every company has one and Buick has by far the lions share of the market.  In fact GL8 is used as shorthand for this kind of vehicle.

that is *amazing*

• Like 1

Honestly  if I have to be a passenger in a vehicle and am not in the front seat I'll pick a minivan every time, especially for longer trips.  They are way easier to enter and exit for someone tall and far more comfortable to sit in. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, deftona said:

The climbing day looks so much fun! Well done to Ghostlet too, he must have been getting inspo for the parkour watching you play Assassin's Creed. See, western video games aren't all about corrupting the youth!

I think this is probably more because it is a skill I was actively trying to tech him back in the pre-pandemic era.  100% on board with you though about justifying the use of computer games to advance and improve all areas of our children's lives.  They are like multivitamins!

An open letter to parents of millennials - Things I Hear

10 hours ago, sylph said:

that is *amazing*

It's brilliant

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Honestly  if I have to be a passenger in a vehicle and am not in the front seat I'll pick a minivan every time, especially for longer trips.  They are way easier to enter and exit for someone tall and far more comfortable to sit in. 

Oh for sure

-----------------------------------

Yesterday started out with church again as is usual for a Sunday.  After church I dropped Ghostlet off at his Chinese class and then headed home.  When I got there I discovered that Ghostess had decided it was the day to Konmari all the closets.  We went through almost all oft he storage places in our home and threw out anything that hadn't been touched in the last 10 years.  We ended up getting rid of dozens of pillows, blankets, bedsheets, and other bedding, as well as several large bags of clothing.  We went through all of Ghostlet's stuff and ended up having to throw out about 90 of his clothes because they just don't fit him anymore.  By the time we got to his stuff he was back from class so he had a say in anything he didn't want thrown out.  I expect the folks at the clothes donation place were pretty happy because a lot of the stuff was still new or close to it.

In the evening we took the in-laws out for a drive in the new car to show it off to them and then went out to eat at a fancy burger place.  I had skipped breakfast and lunch but still managed to overeat at dinner to the extent that I am still quite full this morning and the scale shows that I went up a full 1kg and 1%bf from yesterday despite only eating 1 meal and being active all afternoon.

• Like 7

Level 2 Ninja