The Tavern is Consistent

Consistent, if there is one thing the tavern is, it's consistent. The bartender always knows just what you want, how you like it, and when you'll be here to get it, even when you don't. There are always enough corners for those that prefer them and open tables with familiar faces for those who want to be social.

The most important consistent, is those that join us here, consistently...so lets keep that consistently going,

I will be consistent and have my usual

tenor.gif

• Like 3

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

I will be consistent and get the first round.

548b8fd4126da525b371d677062690f1_640x640

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'll have something fruity and strong. It's been a tough old year. I could do with the oblivion for a while. 

Cocktails GIFs | Tenor

• Like 4

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Per usual, I come stumbling in with a long list of things I'm consistently trying to improve, and consistently not making much progress on.  I'll be consistent this challenge, too, and instead of really working on them, just try to survive.  I have the extra excuse of moving across the country during this challenge, so there's that.

Please give me an extra-large dairy-free dirty chai, with all the coffee.  I'm going to need it!

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e474m5ry00yabkp0db3ie

• Like 2

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

I'm trying to behave so I brought my own mix.

Protein Shake GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 4

[ Level ?? ]    Havoc, the Cyberpunk Outrider. 

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

2 hours ago, theflyingaccountant said:

Virgin flavored water.

What... what are virgins flavored like? I didn'trealize virginity had a flavor.

• Haha 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

10 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

What... what are virgins flavored like? I didn'trealize virginity had a flavor.

You never licked a virgin? They're slightly salty, like everyone else.

• Haha 4

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

On a more serious note, uh, can I crowdsource some advice? I can offer (as a barter) a badly made sketch of a group of unicorns swilling ale.

My mother in law is part of a small, non-profit women's health organisation here in Germany, and they want to build a blog/website that isn't too expensive. I don't think any of them are computer programmers. She says her son helped her set up something with ionos, which seems to be a domain hosting site with website building software? She says she can now handle that website easily so I guess she's not totally helpless with programming (as I am). But it's too expensive at 120 euros per year--they're looking for something cheaper. I know there's wordpress, but I found it so friggin confusing and couldn't make head nor tails of it. What are the other options? Are nice websites just impossible to make cheaply if you don't have programming skills? Is there something free but easy to use? Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers, possums ❤️

• Like 3

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

1 minute ago, Harriet said:

I  know there's wordpress, but I found it so friggin confusing and couldn't make head nor tails of it. What are the other options? Are nice websites just impossible to make cheaply if you don't have programming skills? Is there something free but easy to use?

In my experience, you can have any two out of nice, cheap, and easy. Websites are quite a skilled programming job, there's a limit to how easy they can be made to create for non-programmers.

Wordpress is about the best out there for non-programmers (and has tremendously good documentation and tutorials), though there are a few elements of it that are best designed by someone with the sorts of logical/analytical thinking skills that a technical skill like programming would have. Once Wordpress is set up, though, it's less complicated to actually run day to day; not significantly harder than posting to NF.

I think there are others out there, and probably a couple that are easier, but they never seem to gain traction. The ones I used to see were very identifiable as being basically the same as each other, and not very "real website" looking.

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

28 minutes ago, Harriet said:

My mother in law is part of a small, non-profit women's health organisation here in Germany, and they want to build a blog/website that isn't too expensive.

I wonder if Medium.com would be an option. It's pretty much exclusively a blog site, so your ability to do things with the site are limited.

Otherwise, I would have to agree with sarakingdom that Wordpress might be your best bet (but that's only because I'm not familiar with other sites). You may be able to flip through some YouTube tutorials to get you up to speed.

• Like 3

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

Current flight plan.

2 minutes ago, theflyingaccountant said:

I wonder if Medium.com would be an option. It's pretty much exclusively a blog site, so your ability to do things with the site are limited.

Otherwise, I would have to agree with sarakingdom that Wordpress might be your best bet (but that's only because I'm not familiar with other sites). You may be able to flip through some YouTube tutorials to get you up to speed.

Medium seems to be a heavily branded site for publishing longer written pieces, so I don't think that will work. Ah, I won't be setting up the website myself, I can't even.

19 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

In my experience, you can have any two out of nice, cheap, and easy. Websites are quite a skilled programming job, there's a limit to how easy they can be made to create for non-programmers.

Wordpress is about the best out there for non-programmers (and has tremendously good documentation and tutorials), though there are a few elements of it that are best designed by someone with the sorts of logical/analytical thinking skills that a technical skill like programming would have. Once Wordpress is set up, though, it's less complicated to actually run day to day; not significantly harder than posting to NF.

I think there are others out there, and probably a couple that are easier, but they never seem to gain traction. The ones I used to see were very identifiable as being basically the same as each other, and not very "real website" looking.

So... it might be best to pick something like wordpress whose ongoing use is free, and then pay a programmer a one-off fee to set it up... Or ask my brother in law to set it up. I guess the mistake with the other website was that ionos is both website builder and domain host, and there's no free domain hosting, right?

• Like 1

Back when I had a blog/site, I used a cheap domain host (in fact, I still have the webspace and domain name, I just don't run a site on it any longer). I pay just over 30 Euros each year for my domain name and the webhosting combined (which is now 50GB of server space). Never had any issues.

And there are free CMS/blog software packages out there that are pretty decent. I used Serendipity back in the day, but I don't know how current that is any more (I'm talking 2012-13 here). That was relatively easy to set up, but I have a degree and work in IT, so I wasn't exactly a helpless user.

Once set up, a trained monkey could maintain and update the site. 😊

It's been a while since I last looked into this, so  you may have to check what the cheapest options are for webhosting, and what the easiest-to-use free CMS programs are. Worst case, you'll need a programmer to set things up in a couple of hours, and then you're home free.

• Like 1

Current challenge: Work. Eat. Train. Sleep. Repeat. 

2021 threads: Respawn

2018-19 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV

28 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

Back when I had a blog/site, I used a cheap domain host (in fact, I still have the webspace and domain name, I just don't run a site on it any longer). I pay just over 30 Euros each year for my domain name and the webhosting combined (which is now 50GB of server space). Never had any issues.

And there are free CMS/blog software packages out there that are pretty decent. I used Serendipity back in the day, but I don't know how current that is any more (I'm talking 2012-13 here). That was relatively easy to set up, but I have a degree and work in IT, so I wasn't exactly a helpless user.

Once set up, a trained monkey could maintain and update the site. 😊

It's been a while since I last looked into this, so  you may have to check what the cheapest options are for webhosting, and what the easiest-to-use free CMS programs are. Worst case, you'll need a programmer to set things up in a couple of hours, and then you're home free.

I gather CMS is the programming used for most websites? So.... I guess my mother in law might not be able to set up her own website. But if she finds someone to volunteer their skills or pays for a website maker, then they will probably have their own favourite programme, right? SO I guess she just has to make sure that the web hosting is inexpensive, or that they choose a free platform like wordpress where you don't need to buy a domain. In any case, it's useful to know that your webhosting was only 30 euros.  Thank you!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I gather CMS is the programming used for most websites? 

CMS is the Content Management System - that is the platform. Think of it as the database that will store all the site's info.

The programming language is something else. That's basically the language used to communicate between your instructions and the computer that needs to execute those instructions.

The thing about these CMS/blog software packages is that they give you an easy-to-use visual interpretation (for instance, something like the window where you post a new reply here on the forums for new blog entries, or simply dragging columns from left to right to change the site's layout and appearance) precisely so you wouldn't need to use programming yourself. So you don't need to know languages like PHP or JavaScript or C, or even HTML or CSS.

Setting up the CMS usually requires some knowledge about the web server you're running it from. Like knowing what type of database the server can run, how much memory there is assigned to your site, stuff like that. That's always going to be the most advanced part.

Unless you want to deviate from the options the CMS software supplies for the site - any deviation requires some programming. But using it out-of-the-box should get you good enough results.

Edit: do be aware that some of my info might be outdated. I'm not a web developer and haven't dabbled in that in years. And it's a fast-changing industry...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

CMS is the Content Management System - that is the platform. Think of it as the database that will store all the site's info.

The programming language is something else. That's basically the language used to communicate between your instructions and the computer that needs to execute those instructions.

The thing about these CMS/blog software packages is that they give you an easy-to-use visual interpretation (for instance, something like the window where you post a new reply here on the forums for new blog entries, or simply dragging columns from left to right to change the site's layout and appearance) precisely so you wouldn't need to use programming yourself. So you don't need to know languages like PHP or JavaScript or C, or even HTML or CSS.

Setting up the CMS usually requires some knowledge about the web server you're running it from. Like knowing what type of database the server can run, how much memory there is assigned to your site, stuff like that. That's always going to be the most advanced part.

Unless you want to deviate from the options the CMS software supplies for the site - any deviation requires some programming. But using it out-of-the-box should get you good enough results.

Edit: do be aware that some of my info might be outdated. I'm not a web developer and haven't dabbled in that in years. And it's a fast-changing industry...

Okay, so there are three things to consider: CMS, programming software, and domain hosting?  But I do not understand what a server is, and googling it brings up stomach churning tech vocabulary. Ahh, verdammt and zugenäht. It seems I lack the qualifications to even collect sensible advice for my mother in law. I will just have to tell her so. She could get better help from virtually anyone else, I think.

Here, have some badly drawn ale swilling unicorns, as promised.

Spoiler

1663854622_badaleswillingunicorns.thumb.jpg.f49bb39018dd120e65dd9037618949a4.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Okay, so there are three things to consider: CMS, programming software, and domain hosting? 

The CMS takes care of the programming side. So it's just the CMS and the domain hosting.

The server is just the computer that will hold your website. That computer will be at the company you take your domain and web hosting from.

You'll then have access to the bit of space on that computer that the hosting firm assigned to you - the bit you're paying for. You can then put the CMS software on that bit of computer space, and that CMS will run the website for you (allowing you to log in to it to make updates and changes)...

Thanks for the inebriated unicorns! 😋