Grizzy takes baby steps to baby steps: Part 1

Hi, I'm Grizzy! I used to be very active here, and I'm back because I would like to establish a healthier lifestyle before attempting to make a baby come November.

Eep! I'm as terrified as I am excited.

Current stats:

• 30 years old

• 5'5", 230 lbs.

• Woefully out of practice at everything I used to be good at physically.

• Unemployed, but financially stable thanks to debt freedom, a paid-off mortgage, and a hefty emergency fund.

• Bad at eating my fruits and vegetables.

• Not great at keeping our house clean, or good at asking the spouse to pull their weight with the housekeeping.

Desired state of being in November:

• <200 lbs. <180 would be preferable, but that seems like a stretch.

• At an intermediate level at a combination of activities that work cardio, strength, and flexibility, so I can likely continue them if I do get pregnant.

• More self-employed than un-employed, making enough to cover our expenses. Or at a job that covers expenses that I don't hate, either-or.

• Good at eating a balanced healthy diet.

• Good at division of household labor.

This is a particularly exciting challenge, because I am 2 weeks past my second Covid vaccination on May 10th, and I'll get to do things like go back to the climbing gym, go swimming, or even take a yoga class!

Goals:

• Diet: Track food, especially the grams of fiber and fat. Attempt to hone in on what *exactly* causes my digestive issues by tracking those too. Eat at least a serving of fruit and veg a day especially since that seems not to trigger whatever it is.

• Exercise: Do 1 session each of the physical activities I used to enjoy - yoga, lifting, bodyweight strength exercises, rock climbing, swimming, biking, some kind of martial art if I can swing it. Note how each makes me feel, and consider whether I would like to make one a longer-term pursuit.

• Life: Ask my spouse, IceBear, for collaboration on finding a better division of labor in one aspect of household management and upkeep.

Strategery:

• I need to make sure I keep us stocked with fruit and veggies. I love some fresh veggies (roasted brussels sprouts, mmm), but making sure I've got frozen and canned means I won't miss a day due to stuff going bad or not having time to do prep.

• Schedule each of the previously enjoyed physical activities. I can do biking, lifting, bodyweight exercise, and yoga without access to a gym. The other three I'll need to go to some kind of gym for.

• Plan to revisit division of labor more than once with IceBear. The initial idea might not be perfect, and that's okay.

• Like 9

Following! I like your goals for this challenge, especially for exercise - the idea of trying out lots of different activities to see what you enjoy the most sounds fun. 

19 minutes ago, Grizzy said:

• Not great at keeping our house clean, or good at asking the spouse to pull their weight with the housekeeping.

I see you've taken responsibility for managing the household division of labour - are you familiar with the concept of mental load, too? I'd recommend factoring that aspect into the division, too! You might be doing more than you think if you factor in these aspects, too.

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3

Supple Lioness Mobility

8 minutes ago, Grizzy said:

I am! Just ... Explicitly assigning something seems a lot easier! I don't even know where to start with offloading mental load.

Hmm, maybe having some clear things that are each other's responsibilities would be helpful? My partner has taken over most of the cooking this past year, so he figures out what he wants to batch cook within the allotted time (i.e., before things go off and before we run out of things to eat). I still partly share in that responsibility since we plan meals and shop together, and he usually double-checks with me how I want things cooked and seasoned, but I don't have to ask him to cook. You could maybe start with just 1-2 things each so you and IceBear can learn to check if each of your things needs to be done (and maybe add some cues to help you remember, like writing "DISHES?" or "TRASH?" on a whiteboard in the kitchen). Frequently recurring tasks that have very salient cues, like laundry and dishes, might be easier to start with than something like dusting or going through mail. 

There are also apps like Tody that track how long it's been since you've done different tasks and colour code tasks accordingly by their urgency. The trick is actually checking it for tasks, checking things off, and not adding too many things at once and getting overwhelmed! We've had difficulty using it long term for those reasons, but it may work for you. 

There might also be ways to make assigning tasks easier (i.e., the dreaded "list") so you don't have to remind him multiple times. 

Approaching it as an experiment and seeing what strategies work for both of you is a great idea. I'll be interested to see what you try out, as my partner and I can struggle with chores too. I just thought it was interesting that you've taken responsibility for chore management and say it's something you're bad at when it isn't automatically your responsibility!

• Like 2

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3

Supple Lioness Mobility

19 hours ago, Grizzy said:

Unemployed, but financially stable thanks to debt freedom, a paid-off mortgage, and a hefty emergency fund.

This caught my eye. Do you follow the Dave Ramsey stuff?

19 hours ago, Grizzy said:

More self-employed than un-employed

Also saw this. What do you want to do as someone who is self-employed?

• Like 1

AquaDwayne, Viking Warrior
STR 2 | DEX 2 | CON 2 | INT 2 | WIS 2 |  CHA 2
Current Challenge: aquadwayne is starting over
2 hours ago, aquadwayne said:

Do you follow the Dave Ramsey stuff?

Dave Ramsey + Mr. Money Mustache were the inspiration for using my 20's to get where I am now financially.

2 hours ago, aquadwayne said:

What do you want to do as someone who is self-employed?

Good question! I'm was a software engineer for ten years (if you count working in the field while I was still in school). I'm not bad at it but I don't love it, and 40 hours a week doing it doesn't work with my brain.

I'm kind of working on mashing together a wider variety of endeavors to cover my expenses. I've started homesteading and can sell a lot of cottage foods without inspection. I got my notary license so I might start advertising as a notary public. I was a tutor/TA during college as well so I'm hoping to get some business tutoring. I enjoy writing so I might pitch some articles to a few places. I might do some freelance programming - preferably small scripts or smaller tasks, as big projects overwhelm me. Last month I scraped together about $400 just doing mechanical turk, prolific and user testing for a couple hours a day.

I mostly want to do many things rather than just one kind of thing all day every day, and to have very little to procrastinate on, and have very little that is specific hours or long-term commitments.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Grizzy said:

Good question! I'm was a software engineer for ten years (if you count working in the field while I was still in school). I'm not bad at it but I don't love it, and 40 hours a week doing it doesn't work with my brain.

I'd be interested in hearing a lot about this process, since I'm trying to answer the "what do I do next" question. In my case, I do like it, but not for 8 hours a day, and it depends a lot what the purpose of the job is.

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Just now, sarakingdom said:

I'd be interested in hearing a lot about this process, since I'm trying to answer the "what do I do next" question.

Are you in programming or just another field where you like what you do but it's a lot to do in it all day every day?

I'd be happy to answer any questions about my previous experience or my future plans. Though fair warning future plans change once a week or so.

• Haha 1

I've been having some digestive problems I need to focus on a little during this challenge too. It comes and goes, but I seem to have either IBS or some dairy sensitivity or a wonky gallbladder, and need to not eat dairy and fat like it's going out of style. In the past going low fat high fiber for a while has fixed this, but it sucks because low fat isn't fantastic for managing my hunger or keeping my energy up.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Grizzy said:

Are you in programming or just another field where you like what you do but it's a lot to do in it all day every day?

There's a little unofficial variety in there, but yeah, programming is my basic credentials and gig.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

44 minutes ago, Grizzy said:

I've been having some digestive problems I need to focus on a little during this challenge too. It comes and goes, but I seem to have either IBS or some dairy sensitivity or a wonky gallbladder, and need to not eat dairy and fat like it's going out of style. In the past going low fat high fiber for a while has fixed this, but it sucks because low fat isn't fantastic for managing my hunger or keeping my energy up.

If it's a dairy issue, some people (me included) do better with sheep and goat milk products than cow milk. Hopefully it's not your gallbladder and you can find some fats that you tolerate! 

37 minutes ago, Grizzy said:

Pre-challenge update #1 for May 2nd:

* Veggies, check.

* Fruit, check.

* Turning 30, check.

* Long walk with friends, check.

* Sunburn, oops... Check.

Happy birthday!!

• Like 1

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3

Supple Lioness Mobility

52 minutes ago, Grizzy said:

I agree with the above stated of trying other milk products. I too have digestive issues and have a supplement I take that helps with supporting the balance of flora in the gut, which has helped quite a bit (when I remember to take them.... lol).

• Like 2

Lover of all things Dragons and stuff

“The trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are, is that you very often succeed.” ~ C.S Lewis; The magicians nephew

Books in Progress: The Silmarillion (38%)

2021 Books completed: The Emperor's Code, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Storm Warning, Into the GauntletTying the KnotThe Rising: Antichrist is Born +6

Previous Challenges:  3,2,1

1 hour ago, Grizzy said:

Nice! I'm a web developer who's currently trying to get into software engineering. There are days when I wish I did something else, but this allows me to live comfortably and pay for my family to do the things they want to do (my wife is currently a full-time student and I have two kids), so I'm working on finding a software engineering job that directly relates to my interests instead of just applying for whatever pops up. The 40 hours a week thing isn't really for me either, but I don't honestly know what other marketable skills I have that would allow us to live the way we do.

We are kind of doing the Dave Ramsey thing. We talk about it every once in a while. We have our emergency fund built and have been focusing on paying off our debt. It just feels like it takes forever and then we have lots of expenses pop up (one child needs braces, another needs a minor surgery done on her mouth, etc). Ultimately, the goal is to get everything paid off (we've already paid off like 4 credit cards). It's just one of those boring things that's good for you in the long run, but can feel like a rut in the present.

• Like 2

AquaDwayne, Viking Warrior
STR 2 | DEX 2 | CON 2 | INT 2 | WIS 2 |  CHA 2
Current Challenge: aquadwayne is starting over

It definitely was worth it to have everything paid off, so when I caught wind my company was doing something shady I could nope right on out without a second thought. If we needed to, we could further reduce our expenses and make the emergency fund last longer - ditch the second car, focus our food spending on low cost protein, be more sparing with our computer usage to decrease our electric bill. But right now we can live very comfortably for 4 years with no income at out current spending, though we expect this duration to decrease with the expenses of production and maintenances of a baby, which is why getting income is kind of important.

• Like 2

Welcome back!

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] <--Current Challenge

22 hours ago, Grizzy said:

I personally in the last 7 years couldn't eat pork due to my system going heck no. And processes meats, but can enjoy a bit of higher quality fattier meats.

Along with dairy being nah in the new year... 

Hope you can try troubleshooting to what works for you!

• Like 1