Grizzy takes baby steps to baby steps: Part 1

6 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I'm not sure what information this would give you. It wouldn't give you much to differentiate between eggs or fats as the problem. If

That's true... Good point. Much better to do the olive oil or avocado thing, which would more scream "it's fats" or "it isn't fats, or at least not all fats.

It does help me to know that I can have a little bit of egg with breakfast, just to have something other than carbs to eat in the morning.

----

Finished out the day with a semblance of a reasonable calorie count. After sushi I had no problems, but I was hungry later and still had like 800 calories in my budget, so I had a chicken spinach salad with cucumber, cilantro, lemon juice, turmeric and cumin and just a tsp of olive oil. It was pretty good! I think I'm re-learning how to construct healthy meals, and bothering to make them taste good since I can't turn to my butter slathered concoctions for tastiness.

Plus, it seems like if the problem is fats in general, I can avoid painful episodes just by limiting it per-meal. So far in my tracking, no meals under 20g of fat at once have been an issue. So I should be able to get enough if I'm careful about spreading it out.

This week IceBear and I have two goals to pursue together: the first is to either go climbing or swimming. We might do that tomorrow or Tuesday because it's supposed to snow, so our 3-4 20 minute walks probably will not happen. The second is to work together on some house organization that will help is both have an easier time doing the cleaning things.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Grizzy said:

Plus, it seems like if the problem is fats in general, I can avoid painful episodes just by limiting it per-meal. So far in my tracking, no meals under 20g of fat at once have been an issue. So I should be able to get enough if I'm careful about spreading it out.

This is good to know. Worst case  if it's all fats, lots of small balanced meals will work.

The salad sounds awesome. Fingers crossed that it doesn't try to stab you.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 5/7/2021 at 6:02 PM, ninjakitten said:

Hope writing everything down helped you enough to wind down and go to sleep. 💚 I started reading again, too. I noticed not being in front of a screen really helps me fall asleep faster.

I didn't even know this was possible. Isn't there some sort of upper limit to the fees you can accrue? Or did you just burn down a part of the library? 😅

Very carefully. I'm not sure, haven't tried that. About 8 years ago I checked out books, and a few dvds and then moved and lost them. I think last I checked it was a couple hundred dollars (from what I'm guessing, it's late fees and then the cost of the items added on). It's been on my to-do list, but I haven't gotten around to taking care of it.

• Like 1

AquaDwayne, Viking Warrior
STR 2 | DEX 2 | CON 2 | INT 2 | WIS 2 |  CHA 2
Current Challenge: aquadwayne is starting over

May 10th was a success.

I had one serving of fruit and two servings of veggies. I'm beginning to enjoy putting together salad to go with whatever carb+meat thing I came up with. I ended the day on 1469 calories and 22% fat, which is an improvement over the previous three days. My protein went down though... Need more chicken breast.

(Ok honestly this would have been better if I hadn't gotten really sad about something last night, drank about it, and logged it as a meal today because it was after midnight).

Had a fairly active day working on cleaning out the shed even if I didn't do a "workout."

If I'm not totally missing something on tracking and my TDEE is as I expect, I should be well on track to losing a pound a week, if not two.

• Like 4

Oh right, I also had my doctor's appointment. She thinks it's a gallbladder issue given my family history. She suggested an ultrasound to get more info, but is overall unconcerned given I've quickly figured out how to manage my diet around it, that it occurred after essentially a week-long birthday/anniversary binge, and that I have no pain unless I eat over a certain not quite dialed in amount of fat. Like if I have gigantic gallstones, she might suggest getting them out before getting pregnant.

But now I have to get an ultrasound which pokes at my medical anxiety. 😖

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Grizzy said:

No death by salad! Just general salad happiness.

Woo! That is a win.

I'm hazy on gallbladder things, but it sounds like it's probably manageable and possibly reversible, so that's all for the win, too.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

27 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Woo! That is a win.

I'm hazy on gallbladder things, but it sounds like it's probably manageable and possibly reversible, so that's all for the win, too.

Manageable, for most people yes, at least for a long time. Reversible I'm not sure? Seems like most cures for gallstones are surgical, temporary, or not strictly supported by science.

Then again I've been a lot less up on my medical knowledge since I stopped consulting doctor google due to my hypochondria.

May 11th has gone well. Just over 1500 calories for the day. Should have pushed back on the offer of some sweets given to me by a friend, which I didn't even remotely enjoy. Tested the limits of my current fat sensitivity levels with dinner, where I got about 23.8 grams of fat. I'm okay so far, but not also very long after dinner.

I want a damn cookie so bad.

I need to work on boosting my protein intake at breakfast. My total % protein today was only like 13% and 49 grams, which feels low. I should be able to get away with several hard boiled quail eggs for breakfast without going over my body's tolerance. And there's no reason I can't do some chicken breast with breakfast as well. Also would like to try and do some veggie that feels like it fits with breakfast, because I've been eating soooo much sugar at breakfast with all the fruit.

So maybe a veggie egg chicken scramble? Or a tofu veggie scramble? Tofu is another food with a relatively low fat-to-protein ratio.

Anyway I think I'm going to try to do a veggie and a protein with breakfast tomorrow. If you have ideas for veggies in breakfast, hit me up.

Anyway, progress on the other two goal fronts have been non-existent. Good thing the goal I picked to do daily has been inexplicably easy for the first time in my life.

But I have not done a single "workout". I've walked? But I have a shocking amount of resistance to lifting or yoga. The resistance to climbing or swimming is less shocking, because the idea of going to a place with people has been anathema the whole year and I've got a mental block about it.

Does anyone have any ideas for overcoming this? 

• Like 2

Also, I've been tired all day. I perceive there is some correlation between rapid swings to cold weather (we got snow today =_=) and being inexplicably exhausted. I got 8.5 hours of sleep and basically took a single walk and a grocery store trip and I'm ready to go to sleep 12 hours later.

1 hour ago, Grizzy said:

So maybe a veggie egg chicken scramble? Or a tofu veggie scramble? Tofu is another food with a relatively low fat-to-protein ratio.

Those are great options. I sometimes make some kind of breakfast "burrito", with spinach, eggwhite, chicken, whatever else I have and lots of hot sauce. If you want to keep up the fruit for breakfast thing though, cottage cheese is quite good (I tend to go for the 1% fat one and I believe it's 15g of protein for 90cal). If it's available were you shop, Skyr is quite similar when it comes to protein content and there might be more interesting flavours. Or low fat quark. Not so much for breakfast maybe (I'd be too lazy to prepare anything with it at least), but a great vegetarian option with lots of protein is also seitan. If you can eat gluten at least. Depends on the brand but I think on average the calories are a bit higher than they are for tofu BUT the protein content is a lot higher, too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Grizzy said:

Anyway I think I'm going to try to do a veggie and a protein with breakfast tomorrow. If you have ideas for veggies in breakfast, hit me up.

I always had trouble hitting my protein goals with eggs alone, so I would put some pre-cooked shredded chicken or some sort of mince in with my eggs. Egg-wise, I liked egg "muffins" (lots of recipes online, can easily switch up the veg, meat, and seasonings) and over-easy eggs embedded in a bunch of veg/mince.

Besides eggs, I also like breakfast hashes (like this one: https://unboundwellness.com/turkey-breakfast-hash/ - again, the type of mince and the exact vegetables can easily be switched up.) 

As an aside, 1500 calories/day seems low for weight loss for your weight, especially since you are walking some too. If you are struggling with tiredness and cravings, you could consider upping your calorie goal a bit and/or increasing your limit on days that you exercise more. Do you know what you were maintaining at before you started eating at a deficit?

12 hours ago, Grizzy said:

But I have not done a single "workout". I've walked? But I have a shocking amount of resistance to lifting or yoga. The resistance to climbing or swimming is less shocking, because the idea of going to a place with people has been anathema the whole year and I've got a mental block about it.

If you want to do some sort I strength training, I recommend trying to do just one set of something - (incline) push-ups, squats, etc. If you decide to do more sets and another couple of exercises, great. If not, still great - you're building a routine that you can build on later. Having exercise equipment like your yoga mat or dumbbells out and easily accessible could also lower the barrier to starting. Otherwise, can you figure out why you are struggling to start working out so you can come up with solutions for the specific issue?

Walking more is great progress, too!

• Like 2

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 

Supple Lioness Mobility

Have you ever tried juicing/smoothies in the morning? I used to make a smoothie with zuchhini and fruit. The zuchinni is pretty much tasteless so you barely even notice it! I would just blend it up and enjoy it. Lemon juice can help sweeten it up, and almond milk can give it the consistency you want! Spinach also blends up surprisingly well!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Currently Posting in -->Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] 

8 hours ago, Alanna said:

I always had trouble hitting my protein goals with eggs alone, so I would put some pre-cooked shredded chicken or some sort of mince in with my eggs. Egg-wise, I liked egg "muffins" (lots of recipes online, can easily switch up the veg, meat, and seasonings) and over-easy eggs embedded in a bunch of veg/mince.

Besides eggs, I also like breakfast hashes (like this one: https://unboundwellness.com/turkey-breakfast-hash/ - again, the type of mince and the exact vegetables can easily be switched up.) 

As an aside, 1500 calories/day seems low for weight loss for your weight, especially since you are walking some too. If you are struggling with tiredness and cravings, you could consider upping your calorie goal a bit and/or increasing your limit on days that you exercise more. Do you know what you were maintaining at before you started eating at a deficit?

If you want to do some sort I strength training, I recommend trying to do just one set of something - (incline) push-ups, squats, etc. If you decide to do more sets and another couple of exercises, great. If not, still great - you're building a routine that you can build on later. Having exercise equipment like your yoga mat or dumbbells out and easily accessible could also lower the barrier to starting. Otherwise, can you figure out why you are struggling to start working out so you can come up with solutions for the specific issue?

Walking more is great progress, too!

Ooh, I'll have to try the turkey breakfast hash. That sounds good.

Though this morning may point to the problem actually being eggs. <10 grams of fat and 6 fairly hefty quail eggs and I felt sick allll day. Then higher fat dinner.,. Nothin. This all kicked off with illness following having egg nog so ???

And I agree 1500 is pretty low calorie. It's just been kind of hard to get more while trying both to keep fats under 20 grams a meal, trying not to go nuts on carbs, and only being able to tolerate so much chicken breast. It's just kind of been what I've fallen at. I suspect before that I was eating 2500 calories a day? 3000+ here and there wouldn't surprise me?

Today is a little higher than the last week at almost 2000 calories. Most of that was bread though. I feel sick, I eat bread. 🤷

Will definitely try the "just one set" thing. I can do a set of something. A set can be like, five. Or one.

• Like 2

I'm tiiiiired.

I also am at a day that reminds me that calorie counting can mess with my head. I'm sitting at 1942 calories, just 28 calories under what MFP set for me, a touch hungry and *agonizing* over whether/what to eat. I'm trying to relax and remember what I was taught by my Intuitive Eating coach I paid a ton of money to last year.

Things I am feeling other than hunger - thirst, tiredness, irritation, grief, guilt.

What of these can I solve quickly? Thirst definitely.

Thirst solved. Do I still feel like eating? A little, but less so. Am I hungry? I don't think so.

So now I've gotten to a point where instead of feeling compelled to eat, I have a choice over whether to eat or not eat, and can be more analytical and intuitive about what I need and want, rather than indiscriminately shoveling food into my face.

So now do I want to eat? Meh, if I had grapes I would be INTO some grapes right now. But I do not have grapes. None of the other fruit type things we do have will quite scratch the same itch. I could see a salad with the apple honey vinaigrette I have, but ehh.

I don't think I'm hungry right now, but if I need to eat before bed, a salad sounds good.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, cn3wton said:

Have you ever tried juicing/smoothies in the morning? I used to make a smoothie with zuchhini and fruit. The zuchinni is pretty much tasteless so you barely even notice it! I would just blend it up and enjoy it. Lemon juice can help sweeten it up, and almond milk can give it the consistency you want! Spinach also blends up surprisingly well!

I have on occasion! I forgot I have protein powder I can throw in there too. Though I never thought about zucchini in a smoothie. That's brilliant. I find spinach doesn't quite blend up enough in my blender unless I boil it first. Little pieces of leaf in my smoothie isn't my idea of a good time.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Grizzy said:

I have on occasion! I forgot I have protein powder I can throw in there too. Though I never thought about zucchini in a smoothie. That's brilliant. I find spinach doesn't quite blend up enough in my blender unless I boil it first. Little pieces of leaf in my smoothie isn't my idea of a good time.

Yea I get that. I think it was blueberries I smoothied and the seeds all went to the bottom. I took a gulp of that and needless to say I was gagging. Tasted good up until that point though!

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Currently Posting in -->Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] 

15 hours ago, Grizzy said:

Though this morning may point to the problem actually being eggs. <10 grams of fat and 6 fairly hefty quail eggs and I felt sick allll day. Then higher fat dinner.,. Nothin. This all kicked off with illness following having egg nog so ???

Huh, I wonder if maybe you're having issues with dairy and egg, given that the problematic meals seem to have had those - and eggnog would have been a double whammy. Once you are feeling better, maybe try some larger amounts of oils like olive oil or coconut oil, as long as you are up for the experimentation and your doctor is okay with it.

15 hours ago, Grizzy said:

And I agree 1500 is pretty low calorie. It's just been kind of hard to get more while trying both to keep fats under 20 grams a meal, trying not to go nuts on carbs, and only being able to tolerate so much chicken breast. It's just kind of been what I've fallen at. I suspect before that I was eating 2500 calories a day? 3000+ here and there wouldn't surprise me?

That makes sense - I hope you can narrow down the culprits (hopefully to a smaller food category than all fats) soon. ~2000 cal/day might be worth trying for a week or two once when you're able to consistently reach that level.

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 

Supple Lioness Mobility

Whelp, I had a big veggie scramble with 26 fat grams worth of olive oil today and everything is hunky-dory in stomach land...

And last night between my dinner which contained cheese and my dinner part 2 which had pot pie which has a roux was probably like 40...

Sooo... Eggs?

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Alanna said:

That would be a lot easier to deal with than gallbladder issues. Can you link your earlier painful episodes to eggs, too?

Maybe not nearly as easily, but at least somewhat. Egg nog is obvious. A sandwich with mayo that triggered it could have been eggs from mayo - it seems like that would be too little to set it off, but maybe not? Chicken Alfredo night had egg noodles and cookies which had egg. The sausage pasta night is hard to remember... I might have had a lot of cookies that night too? But still, if the whole batch of cookies has two eggs, and there are 27 cookies in a batch, would even 5 cookies (how many I will have at the very most if I'm a little binge-y) be enough to cause an issue.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Grizzy said:

But still, if the whole batch of cookies has two eggs, and there are 27 cookies in a batch, would even 5 cookies (how many I will have at the very most if I'm a little binge-y) be enough to cause an issue.

That's about half an egg.