Guess who's back, back again? Spezzy's back! Tell a friend.

Stardate 210511

WORKOUTS: I've gotten back to workouts, starting on Saturday. 

Using my new notebook as a new workout log, too :D

notebook.jpeg

Saturday was push day (DB chest press, flyes, overhead press, lat raises, and ring dips)

Monday was pull day (ring chin-ups, ring rows, lat levers, scap pullups, face pulls, dead bug pullovers, rear delt flys, and reverse iron cross flys)

FOOD: Has been going well, but I'm wondering if logging is serving me at all. It just feels like something extra I'm not really learning anything from, so I'm debating changing this to just making sure I'm getting in my 500g of veg and my protein each day, and ignoring everything else. TBD here. 

Glass of water first thing has been great, that's becoming habit to the point where I'm now thirsty and craving it if I don't have it. 

MISC:

Have been working from my desk more, though need to get everything set up and get a better chair or stool because my set up is a bit messy right now. My second monitor is out for delivery, though, so should be able to make some decisions there tonight after I get that set up!

• Like 6
Spezzy, the Arcane Skirmisher
Chaotic Good Quarter Elf Slayer/Magus
STR: 21 / DEX: 17 / CON: 14 / INT: 15 / CHA 15
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
4 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Irritada Hmph GIF - Irritada Hmph Angry - Discover & Share GIFs | Bear gif,  Cute couple cartoon, Bear

Sheldon Drinking GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Ain't it tragic times when even the grocery store feels like an exotic destination getaway?  🤣

We ventured into Lidl last weekend for the first time in weeks.  It felt like a proper treat...

2 hours ago, spezzy said:

Using my new notebook as a new workout log, too :D

notebook.jpeg

I love it!

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: #OperationWeddingSuit

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 

I get your thoughts on tracking. I think that tracking is a great tool for people in certain situations. But I think very few people see its usefulness long term when their goals and needs change. Interested to see  how you move forward!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] <--Current Challenge

On 5/11/2021 at 2:32 PM, Big_Show said:

We ventured into Lidl last weekend for the first time in weeks.  It felt like a proper treat...

It's amazing how these "every day" things now feel special, isn't it?

22 hours ago, cn3wton said:

I get your thoughts on tracking. I think that tracking is a great tool for people in certain situations. But I think very few people see its usefulness long term when their goals and needs change. Interested to see  how you move forward!

Yeah, it's something that has a time and a place for sure - and with wanting to lean out, it will happen faster if I was to track every calorie and hit certain macros, but I'm not sure I have that time and energy in my day to expend to it right now, especially as I build back into my routine up here!

• Like 2
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

stardate 210513

Walked 6700 steps yesterday morning, 4200 steps this morning, so daily morning walks are back to being a thing again!

Workout wise, did a leg day yesterday comprising of goblet squats, romanian deadlifts, hip thrusts, reverse hypers, hanging knee tucks, bottom of squat holds, and tree pose (this is very hard for me with my torn labrum! so humbling.)

Food's been good and my appetite is back. I'm back up to 150lb but not really worried there - especially since my body is definitely sore and inflamed from the workouts 😂 

Drinking water more consistently than ever, which is great. It helps to have someone handing me water when they notice my water bottle is empty (😘 😘 😘 )

Productivity wise, my new monitor came in and it's amazing:

Desk.jpeg

So next up is figuring out a stool / chair that actually works for me that does not allow me to sit cross-legged (where I sit on my feet funny and that messes up my body big time), and also figuring out a way to prevent the cat from taking everything off of my shelves and throwing them on the floor.

Oh, and getting someone to sit still and take a nice photo with me so I can get it put in that frame 😬 

Still hunting for the best to do list system, but have switched back to using my ipad and my pencil and writing down a manual to do list - that worked for me for a long time, and outside of the fact that it doesn't work when I'm traveling, it worked the best (which is why I wanted to find a digital option). 

Listening to music and making sure I have my headphones on has been helping a lot, but I'm still getting distracted easy so working on figuring out the best thing there. I tried signing up for a software that would block distractions but before I even had the trial installed on my computer I had received 5 emails from them asking me to purchase (in 12 hours) so I deleted it and decided I needed to find something else. 

That's it for now! Time to get back to work 💪 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, spezzy said:

Listening to music and making sure I have my headphones on has been helping a lot, but I'm still getting distracted easy so working on figuring out the best thing there. 

I recently learned about mynoise.net from @sarakingdom and I'm a complete convert now. I've abandoned music for my work days and listen to nature sound from the categories "I need to calm down" and "I need to focus in a noisy environment". Yesterday was waves on a pebble beach, today is distant thunder and rain, and my poor anxiety brain loves it. I can seriously feel the tension and stress calm down and fade, and it's amazing. I may never listen to music at work again. 🥰

Standard disclaimer that what works for me may not work for you, yadda yadda blah blah. :) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

17 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

I recently learned about mynoise.net from @sarakingdom and I'm a complete convert now. I've abandoned music for my work days and listen to nature sound from the categories "I need to calm down" and "I need to focus in a noisy environment. Yesterday was waves on a pebble beach, today is distant thunder and rain, and my poor anxiety brain loves it. I can seriously feel the tension and stress calm down and fade, and it's amazing. I may never listen to music at work again. 🥰

They have a ton of generators that are also musical in nature, which is a nice compromise. They're designed to be loopable for hours if you choose. (The animate button to shift the mixing sliders is great.) "Cinematic East" is great if you want to be in your own martial arts film, and they have some great jazzy piano or guitar, and I kind of love the one that blends singing traditions of a lot of near-arctic cultures, and the one that's a funky mashup of music and an old nuclear documentary. Oh, and there's a new Middle Eastern music generator that's really good, and one that's a lot of fuzzy shortwave radio from around the world with a ton of static. (My latest favorite is one I found on an obsolete page of community contributions that has remixed several of the existing generators into one that the creator says is Dune-inspired, but I'm choosing to repurpose as Vulcan-flavored. A lot of quiet desert sound, a mellow hand-drum track, and a melancholy singer mixed in from some sort of Mongolian or nomadic music generator. I've literally had it going for two days without stop, including overnight, and it remains listenable. Super pleasant in an extremely laid-back world music kind of way. There's also a really good Cowboy Bebop inspired one on a non-obsolete page of community remixes.)

Which brings me to the huge number of RPG-inspired sounds. You want to work in an RPG medieval village or an RPG spooky dungeon? You can, and I'm pretty sure they have four or five more in the RPG category. You want to work in a medieval library? Sure. You want Ten Forward on the Enterprise? Remix the Enterprise generator with the coffee shop generator. Kajillions of the community contributions are at least a bit fannish.

Tired of lockdown and crave urban anonymity and the sound of humans politely ignoring you again? Grab that coffee shop generator, or, for evening work, their bar generator (with optional jazz night). Sometimes that's a good work cue for me, like the subtle peer pressure of the sound of other people doing their work thing in cafes. (They also have literal office sounds, but not for me.)

There's a really good Irish fishing boat, and sauna, and Bedouin tent, and multiple Japanese gardens with traditional water-based garden instruments, from which I sometimes like to remove the insects by adjusting the mixers, because sometimes insects are atmospheric white noise and sometimes they're buzzing insects. The WWII bomber is sometimes fun, especially mixed with the Enigma decoding generator or the numbers stations. The only one I can't figure out how to make as a work sound at all is the desert caravan, because it's a lot of walking sounds, and I can't walk and work at the same time, so my brain just can't do the metaphor. Which is a shame, because it's a great sound, and there are tons of cute camel pictures from the trip where he collected the sounds.

All the generators are tuned to the right musical keys to be remixable with any of the hundreds of others on the site, so you can play several together for, say, rain plus cafe plus fireplace plus music, or remix individual tracks of 2-10 different ones. The sound geekery behind it is astonishing. I low key hate being given so much customizability because I can't possibly listen to it all, but I genuinely admire what an amazing archive and rich feature set it is. It's run by a single Italian sound engineer as a hobby (now a donation-supported hobby, given how it's grown), and he has exquisite taste, and the most amazing love of sounds from everywhere in the world.

And he carbon-offsets the emissions cost of running the site. I love this dude.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

I tried signing up for a software that would block distractions but before I even had the trial installed on my computer I had received 5 emails from them asking me to purchase (in 12 hours) so I deleted it and decided I needed to find something else. 

Making use of desktop workspaces to separate out tasks might help. It's not enforced, but sometimes it's enough to sort things into different task-related groups, rather than have them all in one desktop workspace. It can make it clearer what task you're focusing on. Work email in this desktop, spreadsheet work in this desktop, site admin in this desktop, break activities in this desktop, that sort of thing. It's harder to switch mindlessly, because you have to choose to switch tasks.

Also, since I'm guessing a ton of the distractions are internet, there are loads of browser extensions for Firefox and Chrome that will block or limit sites based on tons of criteria (allow list, block list, time limit, allowed or partially allowed at certain times of day) without the shady sales pitches.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 5/13/2021 at 12:32 PM, Scaly Freak said:

I recently learned about mynoise.net from @sarakingdom and I'm a complete convert now. I've abandoned music for my work days and listen to nature sound from the categories "I need to calm down" and "I need to focus in a noisy environment". Yesterday was waves on a pebble beach, today is distant thunder and rain, and my poor anxiety brain loves it. I can seriously feel the tension and stress calm down and fade, and it's amazing. I may never listen to music at work again. 🥰

Standard disclaimer that what works for me may not work for you, yadda yadda blah blah. :) 

On 5/13/2021 at 1:56 PM, sarakingdom said:

They have a ton of generators that are also musical in nature, which is a nice compromise. They're designed to be loopable for hours if you choose. (The animate button to shift the mixing sliders is great.) "Cinematic East" is great if you want to be in your own martial arts film, and they have some great jazzy piano or guitar, and I kind of love the one that blends singing traditions of a lot of near-arctic cultures, and the one that's a funky mashup of music and an old nuclear documentary. Oh, and there's a new Middle Eastern music generator that's really good, and one that's a lot of fuzzy shortwave radio from around the world with a ton of static. (My latest favorite is one I found on an obsolete page of community contributions that has remixed several of the existing generators into one that the creator says is Dune-inspired, but I'm choosing to repurpose as Vulcan-flavored. A lot of quiet desert sound, a mellow hand-drum track, and a melancholy singer mixed in from some sort of Mongolian or nomadic music generator. I've literally had it going for two days without stop, including overnight, and it remains listenable. Super pleasant in an extremely laid-back world music kind of way. There's also a really good Cowboy Bebop inspired one on a non-obsolete page of community remixes.)

Which brings me to the huge number of RPG-inspired sounds. You want to work in an RPG medieval village or an RPG spooky dungeon? You can, and I'm pretty sure they have four or five more in the RPG category. You want to work in a medieval library? Sure. You want Ten Forward on the Enterprise? Remix the Enterprise generator with the coffee shop generator. Kajillions of the community contributions are at least a bit fannish.

Tired of lockdown and crave urban anonymity and the sound of humans politely ignoring you again? Grab that coffee shop generator, or, for evening work, their bar generator (with optional jazz night). Sometimes that's a good work cue for me, like the subtle peer pressure of the sound of other people doing their work thing in cafes. (They also have literal office sounds, but not for me.)

There's a really good Irish fishing boat, and sauna, and Bedouin tent, and multiple Japanese gardens with traditional water-based garden instruments, from which I sometimes like to remove the insects by adjusting the mixers, because sometimes insects are atmospheric white noise and sometimes they're buzzing insects. The WWII bomber is sometimes fun, especially mixed with the Enigma decoding generator or the numbers stations. The only one I can't figure out how to make as a work sound at all is the desert caravan, because it's a lot of walking sounds, and I can't walk and work at the same time, so my brain just can't do the metaphor. Which is a shame, because it's a great sound, and there are tons of cute camel pictures from the trip where he collected the sounds.

All the generators are tuned to the right musical keys to be remixable with any of the hundreds of others on the site, so you can play several together for, say, rain plus cafe plus fireplace plus music, or remix individual tracks of 2-10 different ones. The sound geekery behind it is astonishing. I low key hate being given so much customizability because I can't possibly listen to it all, but I genuinely admire what an amazing archive and rich feature set it is. It's run by a single Italian sound engineer as a hobby (now a donation-supported hobby, given how it's grown), and he has exquisite taste, and the most amazing love of sounds from everywhere in the world.

And he carbon-offsets the emissions cost of running the site. I love this dude.

Thanks for all of this!! :D

I love the sound of this and will definitely check it out and give it a try! It looks like the app is a little less overwhelming than the site itself, so I may start there :)! (Agree on the low key hate how much customizability there is - while it's great to have, I almost wish there was a "quick start" button that just took me to try something while offering no custom options, and then adds those in later - especially as a music nerd who immediately wants to spend hours playing with it haha). Also love that he just takes donations and does it that way - vs having a subscription. 

I used brain.fm for a long time and really liked it, and have a lifetime membership there but all of a sudden it started including a lot of music that was making me anxious, so I've stepped away from it. Definitely going to share this with some DM friends of mine - sounds like a great option for that, too :)

I normally do a lot of the focus playlists from spotify, soundtracks, or video game music and really like those.  Music is DEFINITELY a game changer.  I have found that listening to anything with voices is too much for me while I'm working or trying to focus on really anything. I need it to be just me and anything with spoken word is too much (scat singing is totally fine - but actual words? NOPE)

On 5/13/2021 at 2:08 PM, sarakingdom said:

Making use of desktop workspaces to separate out tasks might help. It's not enforced, but sometimes it's enough to sort things into different task-related groups, rather than have them all in one desktop workspace. It can make it clearer what task you're focusing on. Work email in this desktop, spreadsheet work in this desktop, site admin in this desktop, break activities in this desktop, that sort of thing. It's harder to switch mindlessly, because you have to choose to switch tasks.

Also, since I'm guessing a ton of the distractions are internet, there are loads of browser extensions for Firefox and Chrome that will block or limit sites based on tons of criteria (allow list, block list, time limit, allowed or partially allowed at certain times of day) without the shady sales pitches.

I found an extension for Chrome recently called Toby that allows me to set up different groups of tasks, similar to desktops and I've been loving that, though different desktops would definitely help because it's 100% separate. I might try that for personal vs work items. (This is the extension:  https://www.gettoby.com/ )

I also have Alfred, and am considering getting the Powerpack as it has workflows attached to it that I think could be super powerful. My biggest issue with site blocking is a lot of the sites that I need and use every day for work are the sites that are distracting -  I THINK I can set up Alfred to only return certain things when I search through Alfred vs the site itself, so I need to look into that. 

I recently switched back from a digital to do list to my pen and paper to do list, and have been surprised how helpful that has been already. 

• Like 1

It looks like the app is a little less overwhelming than the site itself, so I may start there

It is, I'm just not a huge fan of its default sound pack. (There's like twelve you can get for free, and I kind of meh-enjoy three or four of them, but don't find them super useful. He really kindly added a new one when the pandemic hit to recreate office noises, but it's just not as useful to me as the cafe. But you do get a sampling; Enterprise sounds and a couple of nature sounds, a couple of trad ethnic sound collections, a couple of synthetic ambient music. They're just not my picks. There are much, much more interesting nature sounds, trad vocal and instrument sounds, and synthetic ambient sounds there, by a long shot.)

Agree on the low key hate how much customizability there is - while it's great to have, I almost wish there was a "quick start" button that just took me to try something while offering no custom options, and then adds those in later

In terms of customising levels and starting with a default set of levels, the app and the site are the same. The level mixer is kind of a key part of their player, but not necessary. (Just tempting.) :D  Both have (the same) good default and a handful of custom scene variations to modify it to your mood.

For me, it's more the sheer number of them, which can be cut down a lot by the "Uses" page Scaly mentioned, where they have a handful of suggestions for sleep, ADHD, office noise blocking, and so on. (Which aren't bad. Not always my taste again, but, not bad.) They've also have good filtering on the main page, with the functionality icon key and by keyword search, and I find their new thematic reorganisation very helpful. I just need to have a sense of what I'm in the mood for. (Have I been watching too much Avatar, do I feel like tech sounds to do tech jobs, am I seriously missing the sound of people just doing mundane things during lockdown, is it gross and cold and time for a hygge injection, that sort of thing. As a result, I really underuse the music ones, but I'm branching out more now.)

Beyond that, I just need to go, "I'm not the person to do the job of combining these, it would overload my brain. Fortunately, other people are doing this sensibly." Like, I might fire up a second generator to add a fireplace to a restaurant or rain on the roof, or add the chatter of a dozen people to some venue, or just add a cat, but that's about it.

especially as a music nerd who immediately wants to spend hours playing

Okay, DOOOOMED. :D

Also love that he just takes donations and does it that way - vs having a subscription. 

And gives lifetime pro benefits for any sort of donation made at any time! With, okay, a teeny bit of deserved guilt if you really exploit that loophole badly (ahem), but it's an incredibly generous model both that way and in terms of features. A real labor of love.

Music is DEFINITELY a game changer.  I have found that listening to anything with voices is too much for me while I'm working or trying to focus on really anything. I need it to be just me and anything with spoken word is too much (scat singing is totally fine - but actual words? NOPE)

I think they're pretty careful to keep recognizable words out of these, on the whole, unless possibly you speak obscure ancient Nepalese dialects used for temple prayers,  or something. I haven't even managed to pull recognizable words out of the various ones with chatter. (This is probably helped somewhat by the fact that his easiest recording locations are not English speaking, but I'd expect to pick up a word or two of most romance languages. I think it's deliberate, even his ASMR whisper generator seemed pretty carefully obscured to me.) Possibly avoid the numbers station, that's inherently a bit recognizable, even if it's just numbers. (They're low-power spy stations set up to transmit codes, which mostly consist of people repetitively reading numbers or NATO letter words in a variety of European languages. Very cool, but words.) All the music ones with actual singing seem to be mostly tonal traditions.

I recently switched back from a digital to do list to my pen and paper to do list, and have been surprised how helpful that has been already. 

I love pen and paper to do lists. The only thing I wish I could do more easily is re-sort them. It's very handy for more to be able change the sorting.

I remember reading a strategy online thought I thought was pretty cool for focus and productivity. Jars of marbles/stones.

You have an empty jar and a jar full with marbles or stones. Every time you complete a task you pick up a marble and drop it in the empty jar. TBH I've been wanting to try it ever since I read about it.

Who knows I may have even heard it on here and just forgot about it!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

On 5/15/2021 at 4:46 PM, sarakingdom said:

It is, I'm just not a huge fan of its default sound pack. (There's like twelve you can get for free, and I kind of meh-enjoy three or four of them, but don't find them super useful. He really kindly added a new one when the pandemic hit to recreate office noises, but it's just not as useful to me as the cafe. But you do get a sampling; Enterprise sounds and a couple of nature sounds, a couple of trad ethnic sound collections, a couple of synthetic ambient music. They're just not my picks. There are much, much more interesting nature sounds, trad vocal and instrument sounds, and synthetic ambient sounds there, by a long shot.)

Oh, yeah, if it's only the top 12 or something, probably not worth it! Having a single guy run it - apps are expensive to build, too, so I was even surprised to see that they had the option :)

In terms of customising levels and starting with a default set of levels, the app and the site are the same. The level mixer is kind of a key part of their player, but not necessary. (Just tempting.) :D  Both have (the same) good default and a handful of custom scene variations to modify it to your mood.

For me, it's more the sheer number of them, which can be cut down a lot by the "Uses" page Scaly mentioned, where they have a handful of suggestions for sleep, ADHD, office noise blocking, and so on. (Which aren't bad. Not always my taste again, but, not bad.) They've also have good filtering on the main page, with the functionality icon key and by keyword search, and I find their new thematic reorganisation very helpful. I just need to have a sense of what I'm in the mood for. (Have I been watching too much Avatar, do I feel like tech sounds to do tech jobs, am I seriously missing the sound of people just doing mundane things during lockdown, is it gross and cold and time for a hygge injection, that sort of thing. As a result, I really underuse the music ones, but I'm branching out more now.)

Beyond that, I just need to go, "I'm not the person to do the job of combining these, it would overload my brain. Fortunately, other people are doing this sensibly." Like, I might fire up a second generator to add a fireplace to a restaurant or rain on the roof, or add the chatter of a dozen people to some venue, or just add a cat, but that's about it.

I do like the USES option! I actually hadn't thought of trying music for sleep, either. I'm a lifelong insomniac and have been trying to get off using trazodone to sleep for a while now, and I've found a few things that do help, but nothing has quite worked as well. @Rurik Harrgath also struggles with sleep, and my snoring definitely doesn't help, so maybe some sort of music would work!

I haven't worked in an office in over 10 years and I'm still surprised when people want the office background 😂  Coffee shops, though - those have always been my jam and it's been sad not being able to work from them during this pandemic. 

That's a good strategy with reminding yourself it will overload to just go with what they've generated :) And I didn't even think to run two at once... 

Okay, DOOOOMED. :D

Fun spezzy trivia: I was a sound recording and music performance major my first few years of college.  I ended up switching to business and marketing, not because I didn't enjoy the sound recording, but quickly realized I wanted music to be a fun hobby, not a job. So these kinds of things are always trouble - in a good way! 

And gives lifetime pro benefits for any sort of donation made at any time! With, okay, a teeny bit of deserved guilt if you really exploit that loophole badly (ahem), but it's an incredibly generous model both that way and in terms of features. A real labor of love.

With everything going to subscription models now, I appreciate the ability to give when you are able to - and I feel like I'd be more likely to give more in the long run. Especially after bouts of exploiting that loophole haha

I love pen and paper to do lists. The only thing I wish I could do more easily is re-sort them. It's very handy for more to be able change the sorting.

Yeah! So I've actually been trying using my iPad and Pencil - and finding it's a good balance between the two. It doesn't FEEL like a notebook or smell like a real notebook (which makes me super sad), but it does allow me to search through my handwritten notes - and sort them and move them around - and it's been amazing at actually deciphering my terrible penmanship to find what I'm looking for.  

On 5/17/2021 at 10:54 AM, cn3wton said:

I remember reading a strategy online thought I thought was pretty cool for focus and productivity. Jars of marbles/stones.

You have an empty jar and a jar full with marbles or stones. Every time you complete a task you pick up a marble and drop it in the empty jar. TBH I've been wanting to try it ever since I read about it.

Interesting - do you put the number of tasks in one jar you have for the day, so you know how much you have left? Or does it just help you see how far the jar gets filled each day? 

• Like 1
On 5/17/2021 at 10:54 AM, cn3wton said:

I used to do this with my kids and their chores.  1 marble for a chore.  marbles removed for very bad behavior.  A full jar equaled some treat.    

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

Interesting - do you put the number of tasks in one jar you have for the day, so you know how much you have left? Or does it just help you see how far the jar gets filled each day? 

My Husband tracks workouts and eating habits this way. He has one jar for each and drops a coin into the jar after the workout or after a day of good eating habits. He likes being able to see the jars fill up day by day.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

Oh, yeah, if it's only the top 12 or something, probably not worth it! Having a single guy run it - apps are expensive to build, too, so I was even surprised to see that they had the option

It's possible he wrote his own, or exploited some open source stuff, but yeah, unlocking the other generators in the app isn't as cheap as the site, and a little on the high end for an app. Worth it if you use it a lot, though. It's a lot more content than a CD, so worth a one-time $12 if you're a dedicated user.

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

I actually hadn't thought of trying music for sleep, either. I'm a lifelong insomniac and have been trying to get off using trazodone to sleep for a while now, and I've found a few things that do help, but nothing has quite worked as well. @Rurik Harrgath also struggles with sleep, and my snoring definitely doesn't help, so maybe some sort of music would work!

A little white noise or soundblocking is a classic; people love their rain noises and fans. I do a lot better with voices, like audiobooks or old timey radio, so I have something to focus the verbal center of my brain on rather than let it decide to fill the silence itself. (It's specific to me, I know I'm primarily a thought-racer, not a can't-relaxer.) But sound isn't bad for me; I need one that tells a bit of an audio story. Or cats purring, because who can resist  that. I'm pretty non-representative of what most people think are good white noise sleep sounds.

(The Bedouin tent one is great for sleep for me, because a couple of the levels in the mixer are a guy sleeping. Peer pressure.) ;)

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

I haven't worked in an office in over 10 years and I'm still surprised when people want the office background 😂  Coffee shops, though - those have always been my jam and it's been sad not being able to work from them during this pandemic. 

I get why, given sudden lockdowns, people who've never worked remotely before want to build structure around a familiar ambience. But I agree, I much prefer coffee shops, and have missed them like crazy. We're a minority of the work force, I'd bet, though. The ones who usually work remotely. :D

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

That's a good strategy with reminding yourself it will overload to just go with what they've generated :) And I didn't even think to run two at once... 

They're all tuned to sound good when overlayed, which is brilliance. I just started with identifiable elements overlayed, like adding fireplaces and actual things. But apparently they're all in the same key, so you can remix all the music ones together, and they'll work. (And in my limited experience, they do.) It's too much power. No mortal should be faced with those options.

But I'm finding less and less need to do it, because even the official generator list is starting to include more and more of these remixed generators, which tend to be along the themes I'd be interested in, and done with a fair bit more knowledge of the available tracks than I want to spend the time to develop.

Every once in a while, I want to sweeten a generator with more thunder or some social chatter, and that's fine, just jamming a second one on and narrowing it to what I want isn't bad. Now that they're getting a lot more international urban sounds, I might play with popping some of those over a cafe, so I can drink my coffee in a variety of countries. But I have yet to want to formally create a new generator. (You can bookmark them by URL if you do, and have them permanently available. Which you can also do for preferred custom settings for existing generators, or stored the settings as a cookie. This guy did a hell of a programming job on the usability of this site. Its almost too usable.)

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

With everything going to subscription models now, I appreciate the ability to give when you are able to - and I feel like I'd be more likely to give more in the long run. Especially after bouts of exploiting that loophole haha

Same. I really respect the soft sell. It's kind of like, you're generous with me, I'm generous with you. nd, honestly, it's  onpt sustainable

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

Yeah! So I've actually been trying using my iPad and Pencil - and finding it's a good balance between the two. It doesn't FEEL like a notebook or smell like a real notebook (which makes me super sad), but it does allow me to search through my handwritten notes - and sort them and move them around - and it's been amazing at actually deciphering my terrible penmanship to find what I'm looking for.  

Grumble grumble open source software grumble fancy Apple toys grumble.

13 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I get why, given sudden lockdowns, people who've never worked remotely before want to build structure around a familiar ambience. But I agree, I much prefer coffee shops, and have missed them like crazy. We're a minority of the work force, I'd bet, though. The ones who usually work remotely. :D

And then you have people like me who had never worked remotely before, who think the lack of office background noise is the greatest thing ever and loathe the idea that we will need to return to it one day.

I have discovered that I like listening to thunder, rain, or a beach, while playing classical music or jazz. With cat purring added for good measure. :) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

I haven't done last week's overview yet:

Tracker! ⚔️ = done

☠️ = did not complete

empty means I didn't need to that day :)

Goal
M
T
W
R
F
S
S
Fitness:

Walking (miles listed)
N/A
N/A
Yoga 10 Min/Day
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
☠️ 
☠️ 
Strength 3x Per Week
⚔️ 

⚔️ 

⚔️ 

Nutrition:

Glass of Water First, Gallon/Day
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
Log all Food (and hit 500g veg/day)
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
Stick to AI Protocol
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
Lifestyle:

Certification (2hr/week)

☠️ 
ADHD Management
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 
⚔️ 

Couldn't start walking till Wednesday due to isolation, and as you can see, we went all in there! So that's going well. 

We missed a few days of yoga, just from overall fatigue - I don't remember exactly but I think we missed 2 days. 

Logging food was done last week with pictures, but I wasn't finding much value there so decided to start logging calories this week to see if that's helpful.

Not sure if I hit the 500g of veg, but I did eat veg each day, so marking as complete. Will know for sure this week as I'm logging amounts. 

AI protocol is easy at this point, but more as a reminder. 

Did not work on my cert at all, just had a really tough work week all around that completely derailed me. Will definitely make time for it this week.

ADHD management - didn't always succeed, but always tried, so counting that as a success. Also realized how important noise cancelling headphones are (I had been borrowing a pair in Michigan, and don't have it here) so going to look into getting a good pair that I can use for work that has a microphone. Decided I could fit something really nice into the budget, especially how much of a difference they made - and now living with another human and 2 cats and a dog, I need all the help I can get haha.

Really liking the iPad and pencil for my to do list, and decided to commit to a specific to do list app instead of floundering around and keep testing new ones to find the best one (that syncs with the notepad app I use) and that's just saved some bandwidth to commit.

I also decided to schedule one personal task per day, and that seems to be helping with getting distracted to do all of the personal things I want to get done that can push my work day :)

• Like 5
On 5/18/2021 at 2:00 PM, Scaly Freak said:

My Husband tracks workouts and eating habits this way. He has one jar for each and drops a coin into the jar after the workout or after a day of good eating habits. He likes being able to see the jars fill up day by day.

Does he then buy things with the coins when the jar is full? 

On 5/18/2021 at 1:38 PM, Shello said:

I used to do this with my kids and their chores.  1 marble for a chore.  marbles removed for very bad behavior.  A full jar equaled some treat.    

I like the idea of having a reward :)

On 5/18/2021 at 2:13 PM, sarakingdom said:

It's possible he wrote his own, or exploited some open source stuff, but yeah, unlocking the other generators in the app isn't as cheap as the site, and a little on the high end for an app. Worth it if you use it a lot, though. It's a lot more content than a CD, so worth a one-time $12 if you're a dedicated user.

I'm definitely all for paying for music! Always worth it, especially in these situations where he's definitely not making millions. 

A little white noise or soundblocking is a classic; people love their rain noises and fans. I do a lot better with voices, like audiobooks or old timey radio, so I have something to focus the verbal center of my brain on rather than let it decide to fill the silence itself. (It's specific to me, I know I'm primarily a thought-racer, not a can't-relaxer.) But sound isn't bad for me; I need one that tells a bit of an audio story. Or cats purring, because who can resist  that. I'm pretty non-representative of what most people think are good white noise sleep sounds.

(The Bedouin tent one is great for sleep for me, because a couple of the levels in the mixer are a guy sleeping. Peer pressure.) ;)

Yeah! We have a loud fan going and that's DEFINITELY helpful. Interesting with the having the voices at night being helpful - as a thought-racer, I always thought adding voices might give me too much to think about :) Definitely worth trying!

Absolutely - so many people have asked how working from home is and it's like... I've been doing this for 10 years now, it's still great! I don't think I could ever go back - though sometimes I wonder if the structure of the work day would be helpful (or at least having a WFH job that I have specific hours I need to work). I've been trying to keep them personally, but it's hard when I'm the one in charge of my schedule!

On 5/18/2021 at 2:29 PM, Scaly Freak said:

And then you have people like me who had never worked remotely before, who think the lack of office background noise is the greatest thing ever and loathe the idea that we will need to return to it one day.

I have discovered that I like listening to thunder, rain, or a beach, while playing classical music or jazz. With cat purring added for good measure. :) 

Cat purring is the BEST THING EVER. Meatball likes to sit on my chest at night and do a gigantic purr and it's definitely super calming - and we have a nice little routine where I get settled in bed and she waits patiently for me to put the covers on and I tell her it's time and she climbs on. (I also give her 2 minutes of purring on my chest in the morning, which, I claim is for her, but really is for me)

I just wish she would stop trying to lick inside my mouth for whatever strange reasons she does 😂 

They're all tuned to sound good when overlayed, which is brilliance. I just started with identifiable elements overlayed, like adding fireplaces and actual things. But apparently they're all in the same key, so you can remix all the music ones together, and they'll work. (And in my limited experience, they do.) It's too much power. No mortal should be faced with those options.

But I'm finding less and less need to do it, because even the official generator list is starting to include more and more of these remixed generators, which tend to be along the themes I'd be interested in, and done with a fair bit more knowledge of the available tracks than I want to spend the time to develop.

Every once in a while, I want to sweeten a generator with more thunder or some social chatter, and that's fine, just jamming a second one on and narrowing it to what I want isn't bad. Now that they're getting a lot more international urban sounds, I might play with popping some of those over a cafe, so I can drink my coffee in a variety of countries. But I have yet to want to formally create a new generator. (You can bookmark them by URL if you do, and have them permanently available. Which you can also do for preferred custom settings for existing generators, or stored the settings as a cookie. This guy did a hell of a programming job on the usability of this site. Its almost too usable.)

Oh that's awesome on the personal settings!

I've shared this with a few DM friends, btw - and they're all totally loving being able to create the perfect atmosphere for whatever is going on in their games!

Grumble grumble open source software grumble fancy Apple toys grumble.

haha yeah the iPad and pencil are definitely fancy Apple toys. I used to be an Apple fan girl but have been slowly switching away for the most part. I tried to go back to my old iPhone back in Michigan and I hated every second of it, so quickly switched back. My phone has a stylus that I like, too, but it's not nice to write on because it's such a tiny screen - but is nice in a pinch because I can pull the stylus out and write on the blank screen quick and it'll save it, which is a really great help for my ADHD because if I have to unlock the phone and open a note app I'll likely unlock the phone and open up 10 other things and then forget what I wanted to write down in the first place 😭 😂 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, spezzy said:

I'm definitely all for paying for music! Always worth it, especially in these situations where he's definitely not making millions. 

Yeah, absolutely. It's worthwhile keeping the little guys afloat, especially when they don't just bang up an hour-long looping recording of their local coffee shop and monetize it. This guy's got his own weird art form going.

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

Interesting with the having the voices at night being helpful - as a thought-racer, I always thought adding voices might give me too much to think about :) Definitely worth trying!

It's definitely a narrow content band. Something I'm interested in enough to listen to, but not so interested where I'm fighting the nice sleepy feeling to avoid missing a single word. Favorite books work well, because you know what's going to happen, but you still enjoy listening. Or more absorbing things I don't know as well, on a careful sleep timer, so I drift off about when they do. Nothing too thinky, pure light entertainment.

It knocks out my verbal center nicely, so it goes into passive listening mode rather than generating mode, and stops me ruminating about crazy shit. Sometimes I leave stuff running quietly all night to take care of the 4am wakeup without relying on being lucid enough to make good choices. If I can lie in bed debating getting up for a drink of water for half an hour or more at 4am, my lucid choices can't be trusted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

Does he then buy things with the coins when the jar is full? 

Not with those specific coins, no. He keeps them so he can start over. He does buy himself a reward though. :) 

29 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Yeah, absolutely. It's worthwhile keeping the little guys afloat, especially when they don't just bang up an hour-long looping recording of their local coffee shop and monetize it. This guy's got his own weird art form going.

More importantly, it actually works, unlike the looping coffee shop recording. ;) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

On 5/18/2021 at 1:54 PM, spezzy said:

I believe that the article I read was jsut a jar full since it was more how much you could fill the other jar in a day. But I think if your day was scheduled and predictable the exact number could work too!

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 7:32 PM, sarakingdom said:

It's definitely a narrow content band. Something I'm interested in enough to listen to, but not so interested where I'm fighting the nice sleepy feeling to avoid missing a single word. Favorite books work well, because you know what's going to happen, but you still enjoy listening. Or more absorbing things I don't know as well, on a careful sleep timer, so I drift off about when they do. Nothing too thinky, pure light entertainment.

...You know, I think you just unearthed a brilliant discovery for me.  I always struggle with reading before bed because I get too into the book, and then I end up staying up all night under the covers because I can't stop reading. But reading a favorite... I could do that!

On 5/20/2021 at 8:02 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Not with those specific coins, no. He keeps them so he can start over. He does buy himself a reward though. :) 

On 5/21/2021 at 12:30 PM, cn3wton said:

I believe that the article I read was jsut a jar full since it was more how much you could fill the other jar in a day. But I think if your day was scheduled and predictable the exact number could work too!

Got it!

Yeah, I definitely think I'd want a reward for filling the jar 😂  

With my job it's a bit harder because I legit have to do everything on my list every day or I'll lose my job, regardless of how productive I am or not, so the most motivating thought lately has been that the quicker I am done my work, and the more productive I am, the more time I get to myself to spend on my outside of work priorities :) Which - is a constant reminder because I really struggle with time and time blindness. 

Knowing I need to finish everything so I can take my first more than 2-3 day vacation since I started my job 9 years ago next week is also hugely motivating!

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, spezzy said:

Knowing I need to finish everything so I can take my first more than 2-3 day vacation since I started my job 9 years ago next week is also hugely motivating!

This is crazy to me. In this day and age people shouldn't have to worry about taking time off. Of course I don't mean to assume your situation and that your pressured by your company to not take long vacations. But I find more and more when I talk with people that they dread vacations because they worry about work. Its always been crazy to me. Sure you should be considerate about planning a vacation as best you can but at the end of the day you need time for yourself.

So enjoy that vacation you have definitely earned it!