5 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

Congratulations on the new house!

Thanks! Though I'm initially excited to get to a new rung on the ladder, I haven't had the inspection yet... and relatives are already lining up to give me all their crap to move into my new house assuming it's as big as theirs... calm down people, this place is just a tad bigger than my current apartment, I can't fit all your unwanted furniture...

<sigh> first world problems.

2 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

OMG new house. That's really exciting! :D  Having a nice sized kitchen and bathroom is SO NICE. Also a front porch is great.  

An outdoor cat is very handy at disposing of mice and chipmunks.  Which is also gross. Handy, but gross.

The cat would be an indoor cat. I don't think it was outdoors for any certain reason other than the fact that it was a stray. My Mom already has it lounging on the couch in the office she's got the extra cats boarded up in.

And chipmunks are for adoration and lulz,

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b0pqt4rs8tg3g61s8jg4

tenor.gif

not quarry for murderous felines...

tumblr_nwhs71s1mT1ucw7ggo1_400.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

6 Tips for WRITING Success:

1. Make your own space
    1. Set aside a space for writing only
    2. Have everything you need to write in it.
  2. Find your medium
    1. Desktop/laptop/typewriter/pen and paper etc.
    2. Note cards, OCD level plot outlining, stream of consciousness etc.
  3. Read inspiring works
    1. Only works that are enjoyable, useful, and inspiring -- not what you think you should read
    2. Know that what you read, ends up in your writing -- word choices, plot devices, characters etc.
  4. Set your conditions -- for max productivity
    1. comfortable environment
    2. self care
    3. accommodate your quirks, and odd routines
  5. Stick to a routine
    1. The time version of making your own space
  6. Sketch and Stay inspired
    1. copy passages of other authors
    2. re-write passage of authors you think suck (or you thought could be written better)
    3.  collect objects or photos and make up stories about them and the people you imagine might have owned them
    4. Spread rumors, tell interesting lies, sow seeds of discord, and document the drama that unfolds

1 and 5 are probably the most important, but until I'm move and settled, 1 and 5 will be the hardest. For now I can work on some of the others. I went through a bunch of books, read and unread, to build an inspiration library -- the books I'll be reading in between bouts of writing, knowing that what I'm currently reading will motivate and inspire and bits of which will make it into my own writing. So I went through like 33 or so books, reading the first few pages and whatever struck me as useful, I decided to add it to the library. I narrowed it down to 30. <sigh> Plenty of inspiration I suppose.

I also started doing character sketches (6). I did five of the main ones today. Soon enough I'm going to go through the manuscript I have and do one for every character I have named. These are good review and planning/plotting exercises. Short bits of  writing/creating that I can do to build momentum and stay inspired. Once that's done, maybe scenery and scene sketches. Eventually I'll copy out all of what I've wrote with minimal editing and then launch from there and start making new material.

I suspect that this is all high-level procrastination, but at least it's procrastination by doing things that involve world building and writing... or is it?

Buying a house just to procrastinate on writing fiction is pretty dedicated... eh?

• Like 3

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

7 hours ago, Stronkey Kong said:

The cat would be an indoor cat. I don't think it was outdoors for any certain reason other than the fact that it was a stray. My Mom already has it lounging on the couch in the office she's got the extra cats boarded up in.

tenor.gif

Indoor cats are nice too. But yeah, taking on another life form that is dependent on you is a big decision. 

Chipmunks are villains and destructive! They burrow everywhere! Stay out of my yard, chipmunks!

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1
11 hours ago, deftona said:

I don't think a cat is ever a bad idea. They improve your life in so many ways, even the asshole cats ❤️ 

cat GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

I dropped off my earnest money today and now the crunch is on to schedule an inspection in the next two weeks. This is the biggest hurdle it seems on my end. I looked at a handful of inspectors/companies today and sent requests for quotes/availability. That's me dipping my toes in the water. Tomorrow, I'm diving in and spamming everyone's voicemail/inbox/whatever until I have the inspection scheduled.

• Like 3

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

The inspection is scheduled -- June 19th

Now I'm shopping for homeowner's insurance.

I just e-signed a shit ton of documents yesterday

I have two forms I need to sign on paper and mail physically.

Then I get an email from (yet another) loan officer/bank person/whatever requesting documents I already sent to the first one.

Add a bill for the appraisal that needs to be paid.

At work we're getting behind, and one of the "old timer" machinists interrupts me (for two hours) to figure out how to check this new, super complicated part that is beyond my skill level, and we figure it out, but then I have to work on this one part that is super complicated and I've never messed with before, and I'm by myself in the lab, and there are things wrong with it (probably) and we need to ship it tomorrow...

Is exciting the word we should use? 🤔

Today I got my second covid shot. That was five hours ago. What I'm hearing is that you get devastating flu-like symptoms that come and go within 24 ish hours. It's a hot and muggy day here and I can't tell if it's the shot or just the weather and the fact that I got up earlier than usual. 😕

In any case, I'm drinking iced tea, eating mac'n cheese, and working on the character dossier for my novel until I can't concentrate anymore. :)

• Like 4

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I never had anything with my covid vaccines except a mildly sore arm.

Moderna II: 8 hours have passed, I'm feeling like I have a cold. I'm mostly tired and a tad sore everywhere.

My Mom said she felt like she had a really bad flu that came and went in the first 24 hours from the 2nd Moderna shot. My best guess, it's just a genetic susceptibility to the reaction.

• Like 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

6 hours ago, Stronkey Kong said:

My Mom said she felt like she had a really bad flu that came and went in the first 24 hours from the 2nd Moderna shot. My best guess, it's just a genetic susceptibility to the reaction.

There was a theory knocking about that if you had a reaction to the first dose it could be because you'd already been exposed to Covid but I don't know how accurate that was. I suppose it makes sense from a biological perspective, and the fact I work with the general public and had one hell of a reaction to my first dose so I'd be surprised if I hadn't been exposed to it. 

if nothing else is shows you've had a strong immune response so I guess it's a good thing. 

• Like 5

It's the hyperman set

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

On 6/6/2021 at 11:38 PM, Stronkey Kong said:

Thanks! Though I'm initially excited to get to a new rung on the ladder, I haven't had the inspection yet... and relatives are already lining up to give me all their crap to move into my new house assuming it's as big as theirs... calm down people, this place is just a tad bigger than my current apartment, I can't fit all your unwanted furniture...

<sigh> first world problems.

tenor.gif

For the record, I have a highly competent indoor Murder Cat who has ensured we never have a rodent or other pest problem for more than one or two nights. He has snuck outside to kill rabbits and mice as well but immediately returns indoors. I highly recommend a competent cat, even 100% indoor. 

My broken cat with dementia has never killed a living thing on purpose, and likely concussed herself upon trying. The other cat tries to teach her how to hunt for years, to no avail. 

Any mole and vole problems in the yard can be removed with blistering speed by a miniature Daschund. 

Pet family is cool. Momma dog takes care of everyone and our new kitten is shaping up to be a second murder cat, like our elder statesman. 

CONGRATS ON THE HOUSE!! I know you’ve been going after this sort of thing for a long time and I’m happy for you. Should you have any questions about repairs or remodels, myself and I’m sure several others would be happy to share with you. 

• Like 4

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

7 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Pet family is cool. Momma dog takes care of everyone and our new kitten is shaping up to be a second murder cat, like our elder statesman. 

The heir to the throne.

• Like 2

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

On 6/9/2021 at 9:30 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

That sounded like a cool challenge to work on together at work! 

OMG signing paperwork is so official! AAAAAAAHHH  💚

I am rooting for you to be one of those lucky symptom-free people with the vaccine!

Well, it started with another co-worker questioning the data I collected the night before, then two sets of eyes watching my try to throw together a program on the fly... it was quite stressful. Though a good example of how one event and your perception of it colors succeeding events.

Paperwork... oof, signed the last two loan app documents and faxed them to the loan agent this afternoon... so that's that.

On 6/10/2021 at 2:39 AM, deftona said:

There was a theory knocking about that if you had a reaction to the first dose it could be because you'd already been exposed to Covid but I don't know how accurate that was. I suppose it makes sense from a biological perspective, and the fact I work with the general public and had one hell of a reaction to my first dose so I'd be surprised if I hadn't been exposed to it. 

if nothing else is shows you've had a strong immune response so I guess it's a good thing. 

Ugh! Day two was worse! (But manageable with acetominophen). I went to work and was sore and tired and headachy and lightheaded. Then took two acetominophen tablets and it was (mostly) done. No symptoms today.

On 6/10/2021 at 2:31 PM, Sciread77 said:

For the record, I have a highly competent indoor Murder Cat who has ensured we never have a rodent or other pest problem for more than one or two nights. He has snuck outside to kill rabbits and mice as well but immediately returns indoors. I highly recommend a competent cat, even 100% indoor. 

My broken cat with dementia has never killed a living thing on purpose, and likely concussed herself upon trying. The other cat tries to teach her how to hunt for years, to no avail. 

Any mole and vole problems in the yard can be removed with blistering speed by a miniature Daschund. 

CONGRATS ON THE HOUSE!! I know you’ve been going after this sort of thing for a long time and I’m happy for you. Should you have any questions about repairs or remodels, myself and I’m sure several others would be happy to share with you. 

Thanks!

I'm not in any rush to get any pets. A cat or two would be good mostly because they can handle being left alone. I'd feel bad leaving a dog while I was away at work for 10-11 hours.

But, I also want to make sure I don't overlook getting something weird. This is my house, I can have any pet I want...

Amazon Food GIF by Rachael Ray Show

19 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

The heir to the throne.

dany.gif

• Like 3

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

1 hour ago, Stronkey Kong said:

Thanks!

I'm not in any rush to get any pets. A cat or two would be good mostly because they can handle being left alone. I'd feel bad leaving a dog while I was away at work for 10-11 hours.

But, I also want to make sure I don't overlook getting something weird. This is my house, I can have any pet I want...

My first pet when I lived along was a chinchilla and they are some of my favorite animals. But they don’t like anything warm or loud. 

1 hour ago, Stronkey Kong said:
21 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

The heir to the throne.

dany.gif

That sounds like the new Kitty. 

• Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

So this challenge is done. Let's see how I did and where I'm going next.

<below, black text is quoted from my first challenge post. This color is  my recap.>

Shop and cook/prep smarter: This goal was kinda ill-defined. But at least I learned a couple things.

1) I can make casseroles from leftover food things.

2) I haven't touched on this, but lately I've been too much of a vegetarian. I'm realizing I don't focus as well the longer I go without meat. Though, I don't need to eat meat any more often that once or twice a week and I'm fine.

3) High fat meals are bad for me. I haven't touched on this lately either. It always results in stomach upsets and feeling gross. I need to keep fatty stuff to a minimum.

4) I should look in the fridge before I shop and take an inventory and make a list. I skipped my weekly grocery trip twice during this challenge and it worked out fine. I spent less money on groceries and threw less away. I think I have built in this habit on the basis of "home-cooked food is always healthier" and it is, but I don't always have time, or I just want to eat something else and I wind up wasting what I bought. Better to cut back on groceries if its just gonna happen that way anyway sometimes.

Daily Movement: Work on one of the following for at least 20 min daily

• Ruck: Walk with backpack with 25 lbs. weight
  • Yoga: Go back and re-read/study Yoga for the Inflexible Male and work on the poses and routines therein.
  • Qigong: For when yoga gets boring and I still want to work on being flowey and breathing and stuff.
  • Quarterstaff: Not sure yet, but if I start working on this again it will be acceptable movement

I did some of these things, a few times didn't I? I did some yoga. I really wish I'd actually gone on a damned ruck. I did get on stat bike that one time. Then my premeditation rituals have me prostrating, I should bring back stretching tho.

But overall, I didn't do well at all with movement.

Write -- Get crackin' on that novel. I was supposed to come up with 5000 words last challenge to get to the end of part 1. FFS, why not try to finish the thing?

• Do at least one 15 min writing sprint daily

I didn't do many sprints, as I intended, but by the end of the challenge, I have nearly finished part one of this novel. I owe that to doing character sheets, which were good, manageble little bite-sized chunks of novel craft that helped me gain momentum this last week. Now, I've written 3000 or so words in the last 24 hours, and am at 51K total... which means I finally win NaNo over a year and a half later. Yay.

I think all I really need is do is wrap up one of the chapters (like <1000 words) then write a short summary chapter and get everyone to bed. I've already sketched out part 2. Based on part 1, and the sketch of part two, to make the story 'complete' I'm going to need like 200,000 words at least.

Study:

• Tibetan
    • Main goal: Memorize writing and reading the conjunct characters -- I can do this before the end of this challenge.
    • Stretch goal: transcribe and memorize the Prajana Paramita Sutra in Tibetan -- I might be able to start this before the end of this challenge.
  • Nagarjuna: Mulamadhyamakakarika -- keep going
  • Lighter stuff: take a break from study and read for recreation, but keep reading things

I did a lot of this. I finished learning the conjunct characters right out of the gate, those turned out to be easy. But transcribing the Prajna Paramita Sutra fell off my radar quickly. I read a lot and am in the final stretch of the Mulamadhyamakakarika. I didn't read much lighter stuff, but last week I put my inspiration library together so, books are handy.

People: I have to start peopling again. What? How?

I peopled that one time. Now I'm fully vaccinated and can people more. I have to get a hold of some friends and hang out. Then the Buddhist center is opening back up for in-person classes for the fully vaccinated.

Camping: I am going camping sometime around the end of this challenge. At least an overnight trip. My zero week goal will be to research and make arrangements for said trip... i.e. pick a park and site, and purchase passes/reservations as needed...

I failed to go camping. I don't know if I'll manage next challenge either.

==========================

Next challenge: more of the same, with buying a house and moving into it probably thrown on top of it all.

• Like 3

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

4 hours ago, Stronkey Kong said:

buying a house and moving into it

Honestly, this in and of itself is pretty much a challenge.  Anything over and above that should be bonus because boy howdy does it take up so much time and energy.

• Like 3
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Honestly, this in and of itself is pretty much a challenge.  Anything over and above that should be bonus because boy howdy does it take up so much time and energy.

Truth. So much the truth. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

11 hours ago, Stronkey Kong said:

I didn't do many sprints, as I intended, but by the end of the challenge, I have nearly finished part one of this novel. I owe that to doing character sheets, which were good, manageble little bite-sized chunks of novel craft that helped me gain momentum this last week. Now, I've written 3000 or so words in the last 24 hours, and am at 51K total... which means I finally win NaNo over a year and a half later. Yay.

Yay!

And agreed with WG, doing anything extra right now is impressive!

• Like 1

Gah! Kinda sorta back. Saw a "nerdfitness" discount code on YouTube and got nostalgic. Meh, I've had a better 8 month period, dealing with lots of death, depression, drinking a bit too much. Haha new definition of Triple D lol. Sorry for being depressing, but happy to see you doing well (enough lol)

• Like 1
19 hours ago, matty_mcfly said:

Gah! Kinda sorta back. Saw a "nerdfitness" discount code on YouTube and got nostalgic. Meh, I've had a better 8 month period, dealing with lots of death, depression, drinking a bit too much. Haha new definition of Triple D lol. Sorry for being depressing, but happy to see you doing well (enough lol)

Sorry to hear that man. :( 

Why not jump in and do the next challenge?

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge