ninjakitten - How to Reboot a Cat

10 hours ago, ninjakitten said:

So my options are making it so hard that I cannot stick to anything (avoiding the boring successful challenge) and fill my logs with more whining OR gifs? I know what to do now!!! Thank you. ūüĖ§

4 hours ago, Alanna said:

Some people just have tables or check lists and mark things as complete, which is even simpler that the basic format we both use (yes/no with notes about each goal). Others have more of a journal format and have long discussions.

I actually started this challenge with the intention of using this platform to discuss fitness and nutrition, since I don't really have those discussions in other places. While there is some of that, it seems like my thread has almost turned more into a discussion/journal/therapy session for what's going on in my life (which is a lot at the moment). While I'm not sure how much other people care to read about everything going on in my life, I'm grateful for those who have and have shared their thoughts because it not only makes me feel like I'm not alone with my fitness journey and other areas of my life, but it gives me comfort to hear other perspectives so I'm not just having conversations with myself about everything. They have been helping to build me up when needed and otherwise just be there when I need to vent.

I would say that we are/are joining/are building a community and for that community to be strong, there needs to be support for all aspects of life (which can also affect fitness indirectly). I think you should make your thread what you need it to be, whether it's lifting related, nutrition related, mindset related, or life related because none of them are isolated pieces and I've learned that there are people here who will offer support and follow along with you regardless of what you're focusing on. You're on this journey for you, so do what you need to do to reach your goals rather than what you THINK people WANT you to do.

• Like 4

AquaDwayne, Viking Warrior
STR 2 | DEX 2 | CON 2 | INT 2 | WIS 2 |  CHA 2
Current Challenge: aquadwayne is starting over

I echo the sentiment that it is not boring at all.  I am very glad to read your updates again after our hiatus' (hiati?) You make your posts about whatever you want it to be about.  I would only recommend not letting trying to make it unboring but sacrificing the fitness goals that work for you.  Consistent fitness goals might seem boring but they yield exciting results! 

• Like 4

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar | Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 , 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, ??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

14 minutes ago, Shello said:

Consistent fitness goals might seem boring but they yield exciting results!

This. I tell my 7 year old that we have to do the boring stuff to do the amazing stuff. Simone Biles did the same drills day in and day out for years to get good enough for the Olympics. John Mayer played his scales with a metronome for hours and hours before he was able to play as well as he does. Arnold had do spend lots and lots of time in the gym doing the same lifts and eating right to look the way he did. These are just a few examples, but these people didn't reach the places they are by luck. It's because they kept doing the boring stuff that makes you great, even when they didn't want to. The reason you know about them and not other people who wanted to be "famous" is because the others decided that they didn't want to do the boring stuff and stopped.

Obviously, these are extreme examples and I'm not saying everything they did was healthy or advisable. All I'm saying is that anyone you've ever heard of for being great at something has done the boring stuff that others won't do until they're amazing. If you truly want to be great at something, it requires the boring stuff when no one is looking. I think it was in a blog post on the nerdfitness site, but there was an analogy about building a cathedral. Though it was about making small changes, I think it could also be applied here: Laying bricks is boring and repetitive, probably hot and kind of annoying after a while. Those who stop because it's boring end up with a knee-high wall. Those who don't end up with a whole cathedral which they can be really proud of and others will be in awe of!

Sorry for the lecture, I'm in a weird headspace today.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Alanna said:

I'd recommend browsing the forum for some ideas if you want to switch things up. Some people just have tables or check lists and mark things as complete, which is even simpler that the basic format we both use (yes/no with notes about each goal). Others have more of a journal format and have long discussions.

I might have a look around in some of the old challenges. But I really love the idea of adding some photos here and there. Maybe I'll give that a shot. ūüíö And of course the black cat gifs. There seem to be a lot of fitting ones...

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47z8u76emavzzwhob27s

1 hour ago, aquadwayne said:

I actually started this challenge with the intention of using this platform to discuss fitness and nutrition, since I don't really have those discussions in other places.

Part of the reason I wanted to start again is because I annoyed everyone else with the diet/fitness talk. So I get that. I'm not really sure how to deal with the repetitive nature of this yet, so I don't really now what I want to turn this thread into. But I appreciate all your input. It did help a lot. ūüíö

1 hour ago, Shello said:

I echo the sentiment that it is not boring at all.  I am very glad to read your updates again after our hiatus' (hiati?) You make your posts about whatever you want it to be about.  I would only recommend not letting trying to make it unboring but sacrificing the fitness goals that work for you.  Consistent fitness goals might seem boring but they yield exciting results! 

Thank you Shello. ūüíö Reading that made me wonder a bit if part of my problem is not really the challenge format, but that compared to last year everything has just gotten a lot slower when it comes to progress. The closer I get to a normal weight the slower the progress in that area. And even fitness... The first couple of months you always make progress so much faster than later on. Maybe I just have to deal with it. But it is something that didn't even cross my mind before. So thank you a lot for the input.

Laying bricks is boring and repetitive, probably hot and kind of annoying after a while. Those who stop because it's boring end up with a knee-high wall. Those who don't end up with a whole cathedral which they can be really proud of and others will be in awe of!

Sorry for the lecture, I'm in a weird headspace today.

No worries. Lectures are good sometimes. I do blame a lot of my bad habits when it comes to quitting tasks because I find them boring on having inattentive ADHD (used to be called ADD, no hyperactivity here). But I shouldn't use it as an excuse really. I cope with it quite well at work and with household chores, but when it comes to other activities in my free time I find it a lot harder. But obviously working on your health isn't just a hobby. Maybe I just need to reframe it a bit for myself.

Choose to be bored. ūüėĄ I think it will take me a moment...

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, ninjakitten said:

I do blame a lot of my bad habits when it comes to quitting tasks because I find them boring on having inattentive ADHD (used to be called ADD, no hyperactivity here). But I shouldn't use it as an excuse really.

I totally get this, and I think everyone struggles with doing the boring stuff (at least sometimes). Especially when it means sacrificing the fun and exciting stuff to do it. That's a big reason why I keep coming back here. Everyone struggles with the boring stuff, but through community and encouragement it's a little easier.

You've got this!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, aquadwayne said:

Everyone struggles with the boring stuff, but through community and encouragement it's a little easier.

So you take your motivation and enjoyment from seeing others suffer?

giphy.gif

(I do not dislike the idea though. Don't get me wrong. Feeling less alone is quite nice. ūüėÖ)

Thursday May 13th

#1 - Stuck to my goal. I do still wonder if I should set it a bit lower. Maybe I'll assess it after this week. It used to be ok but I think my activity level has gone down a bit. Definitely won't work if I keep up with my awful food choices though. ūüėÖ

#2 - Went out for a run. It was the first good one in a while. Although it got a bit crowded. Maybe I need to go a bit earlier. I exercise outside to avoid being close to people. Not in order to cuddle other sweaty exercising strangers.

#3 - I stretched for a moment after the run (still outside) and for unknown reasons suddenly had the idea my leggings might not be ideal for that... (I checked later at home. They are actually "squat-proof".)

Unrelated to the challenge: I kept up sketching to keep me from eating at night. It's working pretty well. As in it keeps me from eating. It's not going well in terms of how my sketches turn out. I really wanted to give "urban sketching" a try. So to practice I looked up some interesting pieces of architecture around here, picked some of my own older photos or just photos I found online of areas I like. But unlike with portraits, flowers, animals, whatever it is... I just find it so overwhelming. So you obviously need to simplify things and need to focus on certain aspects. You cannot draw everything. Especially if you actually want to do it outside eventually and maybe not spend the whole day in one place. But I just end up adding too many things and it's all just too busy and too much.

Maybe I'll try out another time limited one and see where that gets me. Maybe it will just force me to focus on something.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ninjakitten said:

Hmmmm... I think there may be a miscommunication here... I didn't mean that I take enjoyment or encouragement from watching others fail/suffer/etc. I meant that it's easier to do the boring stuff with people in your corner, cheering you on. People are in your thread (and mine) offering advice and support because they want to see you succeed at your goals. Knowing that there are people who care enough to take the time to not only read what you have to write, but also comment and follow along helps when you don't want to do the boring stuff (specifically when it leads to self-doubt or other destructive thoughts). I simply mentioned that others struggle with the boring stuff to point out that we're all human and that's common ground for everyone, and not to be so hard on yourself about that struggle.

9 hours ago, ninjakitten said:

I just find it so overwhelming

I have heard of people watching Bob Ross videos and sketching along with what he's painting. Maybe that would help? His voice can be pretty soothing and that would allow you to focus on one thing at a time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, aquadwayne said:

Hmmmm... I think there may be a miscommunication here... I didn't mean that I take enjoyment or encouragement from watching others fail/suffer/etc.

I've been reminded of this exchange (correct me if I'm wrong, ninjakitten!):

"That is a failing indeed!" cried Elizabeth. "Implacable resentment is a shade in a character. But you have chosen your fault well. I really cannot  laugh at it. You are safe from me." 

"There is, I believe, in every disposition a tendency to some particular evil -- a natural defect, which not even the best education can overcome." 

"And your defect is a propensity to hate everybody." 

"And yours," he replied, with a smile, "is wilfully to misunderstand them."

I really wanted to give "urban sketching" a try.

I hadn't heard of this type of art before - it sounds like a fun challenge! I can see how it would be overwhelming, though. It looks like a lot of urban sketchers use watercolours, I'm guessing since it is a way to quickly add detail and contrast - is that something you want to experiment with?

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2

Supple Lioness Mobility

Have you heard of Pete Scully? He does some amazing sketches. I honestly don't know how he does it. I get antsy drawing dinnerware on a table for an illustration "HOW MANY FORKS MUST I DRAW?"  But Pete has some great urban sketches!  It could be inspiring... Or not. Sometimes looking at someone else's successful art is discouraging too.

I agree it's impossible to draw every brick. I think you can suggest those textures in certain spots of the building. Like, you can't draw every leaf realistically, but the general shape of the plant with a few examples of the leaves it holds can be really interesting!

22 hours ago, aquadwayne said:

Everyone struggles with the boring stuff, but through community and encouragement it's a little easier.

10 hours ago, ninjakitten said:

This exchange made me laugh out loud!  During the pandemic, the only thing that gave me comfort was seeing how hard it was for everyone else. There's a guy I follow on Twitter, mostly because he was just so honest and open. He'd say "Today I went to the grocery store, came home and cried."  and then later he'd say "The Toddler hugged me and I'm keeping that in my heart all day."   And it was like "OH THANK YOU FOR BEING HONEST"  and I feel that way about NF too! It's like " Oh other people feel this way too, I'm not a monster!"

A little bit monster. But mostly okay. ;) 

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

"Oh other people feel this way too, I'm not a monster!"

I don't think this is rooted in wanting to see people suffer though. I think it's just that our brains sometimes make us feel like we are the only ones going through these things and no one could possibly understand. Seeing other people talking about similar feelings or situations can help put things into perspective and maybe help us to find a new friend to navigate through struggles with instead of trying to do it alone.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aquadwayne said:

I don't think this is rooted in wanting to see people suffer though. I think it's just that our brains sometimes make us feel like we are the only ones going through these things and no one could possibly understand. Seeing other people talking about similar feelings or situations can help put things into perspective and maybe help us to find a new friend to navigate through struggles with instead of trying to do it alone.

Oh I didn't mean that enjoying seeing them struggle was monstrous, only that I felt completely wrong and out of place like a monster until I read how other people feel and realize I'm not alone!  I can see how I wrote it and quote it that it would've seemed like I was saying "MONSTER MONSTER!" But that's not what I meant! I agree with you!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, aquadwayne said:

Hmmmm... I think there may be a miscommunication here...

It was just a bad joke, I am sorry. ūüėÖ

Bob Ross brought back a lot of awesome memories though. When I was younger his videos were sometimes still on TV at home (maybe they still are). Just at the weirdest times in the middle of the night. So I sometimes watched him when I came home drunk after parties... (I think I even tried a Bob Ross themed challenge once, but it failed like all themes I ever tried.) Having his videos on in the background is an interesting idea though. I will try it.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e470zxjzvfmdy3k9fkrac

2 hours ago, Alanna said:

I hadn't heard of this type of art before - it sounds like a fun challenge! I can see how it would be overwhelming, though. It looks like a lot of urban sketchers use watercolours, I'm guessing since it is a way to quickly add detail and contrast - is that something you want to experiment with?

Random Jane Austen quote in the wild. I didn't expect that this morning, but I am quite happy about it. Willfully misunderstanding people and then teasing them is my... "special" form of humour and it falls flat quite often. I can't help myself though, I keep doing it anyway. Even though I should know better.

The sketching is a fun challenge in a way! Even though I am failing. It would be nicer if I had a good idea of how to improve, but maybe it will just come with time? Hopefully? I love watercolours, so it is definitely and option. Once I get past the failed sketching stage.

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Have you heard of Pete Scully? He does some amazing sketches. I honestly don't know how he does it. I get antsy drawing dinnerware on a table for an illustration "HOW MANY FORKS MUST I DRAW?"  But Pete has some great urban sketches!  It could be inspiring... Or not. Sometimes looking at someone else's successful art is discouraging too.

No I hadn't before! (I was also thrown off for a second when I tried to google, because the artist is for sure not the first person to come up. Yikes. Poor guy having someone like that with such a similar name.) I love his sketches though! Compared to some others he already does add a bit more detail than average I'd say. At least on a lot of his sketches. Very interesting. Thank you for the recommendation. ūüíö

(Also I stopped being sad about looking at more the art of other people a long time ago. There's no way I'd ever spend enough time on it to get to that level, so I just have to deal with it.)

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

This exchange made me laugh out loud!  During the pandemic, the only thing that gave me comfort was seeing how hard it was for everyone else. There's a guy I follow on Twitter, mostly because he was just so honest and open. He'd say "Today I went to the grocery store, came home and cried."  and then later he'd say "The Toddler hugged me and I'm keeping that in my heart all day."   And it was like "OH THANK YOU FOR BEING HONEST"  and I feel that way about NF too! It's like " Oh other people feel this way too, I'm not a monster!"

I am glad at least someone got to laugh. It was meant to be a joke after all. ūüėÖ I think it is always good to see that we're not alone with our struggles. It's just people often don't like to share those things even with friends. Let alone on social media. So far I noticed though that once I start to be a bit more open about it, the person I'm talking to usually is as well. It's just hard making that first step.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ninjakitten said:

It was just a bad joke, I am sorry. ūüėÖ

Okay.... So I'm the one who misunderstood.

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

When I was younger his videos were sometimes still on TV at home (maybe they still are).

Last I checked, they were on Netflix. You may be able to find them there.

Random Jane Austen quote in the wild.

Definitely had to start doing some research on Pride and Prejudice this morning to try and understand the reference. Learning about classic literature? Check!

Willfully misunderstanding people and then teasing them is my... "special" form of humour and it falls flat quite often.

Gotcha. My buddy and I like to intentionally share incorrect facts about musicians when they're on the radio. It's fun because we get to be goofy, but do do so well also requires a solid knowledge of the genre being discussed to make sure you don't offer correct facts about something. For instance, "The Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin comes on the radio....

Me: Oh man, I love AC/DC!

Friend: Yeah, but didn't this come out before Axl Rose became the singer?

Me: Yeah, that's why it's so great! AC/DC was WAY better when they had Ozzy Osbourne as the singer. Dark Side of the Moon is their best album!

We get one of a few reactions: 1) The people around us have no idea what we're talking about and assume we're very knowledgeable. 2) They know what we're talking about and assume we're idiots. 3) They know what we're talking about and try to correct us. 4) In my wife's case, she can't tell whether or not we're joking so she assumes we're spouting facts and likes to bring them up with friends to act knowledgeable about music. We get a good laugh when she comes home to yell at me because Ozzy was never in AC/DC and Paul McCartney isn't dead.

The Office Lol GIF

It's just people often don't like to share those things even with friends. Let alone on social media. So far I noticed though that once I start to be a bit more open about it, the person I'm talking to usually is as well. It's just hard making that first step.

I whole heartedly agree with this. I think most people are scared to share these things for fear they'll be mocked or called weak. Opening that door is difficult to do at first, but I find that once you do the conversation/relationship has so much more opportunity to grow into something meaningful.

P.S. Apparently I'm on it with The Office gifs today...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, aquadwayne said:

Okay.... So I'm the one who misunderstood.

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

No worries. Me not being funny isn't really your fault. ūüėÖ Not that I don't wish that I could blame it on someone else.

I love all the office gifs though. I'll be honest that I was one of the people who took a moment to get over the "but the British version" phase, but now I can appreciate them all.

12 minutes ago, aquadwayne said:

We get one of a few reactions: 1) The people around us have no idea what we're talking about and assume we're very knowledgeable. 2) They know what we're talking about and assume we're idiots. 3) They know what we're talking about and try to correct us. 4) In my wife's case, she can't tell whether or not we're joking so she assumes we're spouting facts and likes to bring them up with friends to act knowledgeable about music. We get a good laugh when she comes home to yell at me because Ozzy was never in AC/DC and Paul McCartney isn't dead.

Being willing to look like an idiot for a joke is usually where it starts to get really good. And I think your example also showed me why I'm not quite willing to give up on my jokes there just yet. When someone gets it and plays along it is just so much fun.

16 minutes ago, aquadwayne said:

I whole heartedly agree with this. I think most people are scared to share these things for fear they'll be mocked or called weak. Opening that door is difficult to do at first, but I find that once you do the conversation/relationship has so much more opportunity to grow into something meaningful.

Yes! Being vulnerable is always hard. And I absolutely wouldn't try it with every person out there either. But when you can relate to other people in that way it does make a huge difference.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ninjakitten said:

No worries. Me not being funny isn't really your fault. ūüėÖ Not that I don't wish that I could blame it on someone else.

Lol I had to read this a few times. That's a lot of double negatives. It reminded me of this:

Don't stop letting people not help

I'll be honest that I was one of the people who took a moment to get over the "but the British version" phase, but now I can appreciate them all.

I enjoy them both (until Michael leaves). Let's be real Season 1 of the US version is basically just the British version (almost line for line for some episodes).

17 minutes ago, ninjakitten said:

Being willing to look like an idiot for a joke is usually where it starts to get really good. And I think your example also showed me why I'm not quite willing to give up on my jokes there just yet. When someone gets it and plays along it is just so much fun.

Agreed. I figure I look like an idiot most of the time anyway, so I may as well have fun with it. ;) For real though, it is way better when someone gets it. Of course, that's often harder to do through text alone if they're not super familiar with your sense of humor to begin with.

19 minutes ago, ninjakitten said:

Yes! Being vulnerable is always hard. And I absolutely wouldn't try it with every person out there either. But when you can relate to other people in that way it does make a huge difference.

workaholics fer sure GIF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ninjakitten said:

Random Jane Austen quote in the wild. I didn't expect that this morning, but I am quite happy about it. Willfully misunderstanding people and then teasing them is my... "special" form of humour and it falls flat quite often. I can't help myself though, I keep doing it anyway. Even though I should know better.

Definitely had to start doing some research on Pride and Prejudice this morning to try and understand the reference. Learning about classic literature? Check!

Tone is so difficult to convey in text! The first time I tried reading P&P I didn't get it - then I saw the most recent film adaptation and realised, "Oooooh, Austen poking fun at her society and the people in it" and really enjoyed reading it and her other books in that light. Austen is a wildcard favourite author - usually I read scifi/fantasy. That said, I quite enjoyed your wilful misunderstanding, ninjakitten, especially since it reminded me of that scene! 

On that note, I tried to find an adaptation of that scene for you, aquadwayne, for the context, but I can't - it was definitely cut from the Kiera Knightly adaptation, not sure about the BBC one. Basically, though, Elizabeth is teasingly asking Darcy about his flaws (as playful revenge for a comment he'd just made). She purposely misinterprets his answer - that he tends to hold grudges and that people easily (and permanently) lose his respect - into that he has a tendency to hate everyone. She's being playful, but she also doesn't have a good opinion of him at this point because he's been quite rude. By that point, Darcy has noticed that Elizabeth likes to verbally spar with and tease people, hence his answer about her "wilful misunderstanding." He doesn't mind her teasing, however, because by that point he's rather taken with her. In fact, there is a musical adaptation with that dialogue (although very frustratingly, with the wrong tone!) and Darcy reacts like this right after that "wilfully misunderstand" exchange :

Spoiler

(I have serious issues with the musical, but this interpretation of Darcy noticing Elizabeth's "fine eyes" is absolute gold)

• Like 2

Challenge 2.1, 2.2

Supple Lioness Mobility

11 hours ago, aquadwayne said:

Don't stop letting people not help

What can I say, I am a top-notch communicator! Also more bad music jokes are always welcome. Sometimes I might understand them.¬† If I don't I'll just pretend. ūüėÖ

9 hours ago, Alanna said:

Tone is so difficult to convey in text! The first time I tried reading P&P I didn't get it - then I saw the most recent film adaptation and realised, "Oooooh, Austen poking fun at her society and the people in it" and really enjoyed reading it and her other books in that light. Austen is a wildcard favourite author - usually I read scifi/fantasy. That said, I quite enjoyed your wilful misunderstanding, ninjakitten, especially since it reminded me of that scene!

It really is difficult to convey jokes. But you are writing to the person that tried sarcasm on kids! I'm very optimistic (or I just never learn).

Once upon a time... Long before I realised how much money I need to survive as an adult, I started studying literature for a hot moment. So that's definitely always a welcome topic. I'm quite interested. I didn't really focus on anything from that time, but unsurprisingly it was quite popular with some fellow students and I got curious and had a look at Austen and some of her colleagues as well. And I was also a bit surprised by how funny some of her books were. And in general just quite insightful when it came to life in regency England. Although it is of course very specifically the upper class. (This was also a good reminder that I should read a bit more again. I haven't picked up a book in forever.)

• Like 4

Friday May 14th

#1 - Stuck to my calorie goal. The scale doesn't want to acknowledge my efforts, though. I kind of want to speak to its manager. My plan was originally to reconsider my calorie intake after this week, but maybe I'll just put it off till next week? I'm not sure yet. Or hope that a wonder will happen when I weigh in tomorrow before I write the conclusion for week 1.

#2 - No run scheduled. This makes me feel so lazy. I'm considering to add some other kind of work out.

#3 - I stretched this morning. And while I did so in the bright morning sun, I realised I need to clean under my couch. (Or do my stretching routine at night.)

----------

Sketching surprisingly didn't get better in one day. BUT. Looking up some more examples and watching a few videos definitely was helpful. So even though I'm not happy with where I am at all, I thought I'll post a snapshot of the current state of my sketches and maybe compare it to how far I get by the end of this challenge. (Watch me not practice and remaining at the same level I am at now.) First thing I will try is to use a ruler here and there. Having less curvy buildings would probably makes things a lot better. ūüėÖ

Spoiler

image012.jpg.7021eed813a2cfcdbf131dffb26b181d.jpg

I really tried  to remove this giant copy of the picture or at least put it in a spoiler but it doesn't cooperate. I'm sorry.

Problem solved.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ninjakitten said:

Once upon a time... Long before I realised how much money I need to survive as an adult, I started studying literature for a hot moment. So that's definitely always a welcome topic. I'm quite interested. I didn't really focus on anything from that time, but unsurprisingly it was quite popular with some fellow students and I got curious and had a look at Austen and some of her colleagues as well. And I was also a bit surprised by how funny some of her books were. And in general just quite insightful when it came to life in regency England. Although it is of course very specifically the upper class. (This was also a good reminder that I should read a bit more again. I haven't picked up a book in forever.)

I don't think I've read anything "classic" (besides Austen) since high school, myself. I did find a "Pride and Prejudice retelling with dragons" on Kindle Unlimited, but I don't think that counts¬†ūüėā

4 hours ago, ninjakitten said:

No run scheduled. This makes me feel so lazy. I'm considering to add some other kind of work out.

Walking or yoga? Those shouldn't impact your recovery (baring extreme versions of those exercises).

I stretched this morning. And while I did so in the bright morning sun, I realised I need to clean under my couch. (Or do my stretching routine at night.)

Haha, I've had similar experiences - it's funny what you notice from a different perspective!

Sketching surprisingly didn't get better in one day. BUT. Looking up some more examples and watching a few videos definitely was helpful. So even though I'm not happy with where I am at all, I thought I'll post a snapshot of the current state of my sketches and maybe compare it to how far I get by the end of this challenge. (Watch me not practice and remaining at the same level I am at now.) First thing I will try is to use a ruler here and there. Having less curvy buildings would probably makes things a lot better. ūüėÖ

Those are looking really good already! Even if they're not perfectly accurate and realistic, they have a sort of stylised charm - the not-perfectly-straight lines look more like an intentional style choice than a mistake. I bet you could turn the curvy buildings into a new style¬†ūüėÜ. I understand that you'd probably rather choose to have that as a style rather than being forced into it, though.¬†

• Like 2

Challenge 2.1, 2.2

Supple Lioness Mobility

2 hours ago, Alanna said:

I did find a "Pride and Prejudice retelling with dragons" on Kindle Unlimited

I have questions.... Were all the characters replaced with dragons? Was only one of the characters replaced with a dragon? Was the story the same but with dragons in the background?

• Like 2

I have questions.... Were all the characters replaced with dragons? Was only one of the characters replaced with a dragon? Was the story the same but with dragons in the background?

The original human characters all stayed human and there were also dragons (mostly peaceful but usually rather grumpy and demanding) that only some humans were aware of. The beginning plot stayed similar but diverged later on. It wasn't great literature but it was fun for what it is. I just checked and there are actually various dragon versions of P&P, so there might be a dragon society version out there!

If anyone would like an original story of dragons set in that general time period, His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik is a good read.

• Like 2

Challenge 2.1, 2.2

Supple Lioness Mobility

I don't think I've read anything "classic" (besides Austen) since high school, myself. I did find a "Pride and Prejudice retelling with dragons" on Kindle Unlimited, but I don't think that counts¬†ūüėā

I don't know, I think the dragons might count. ūüėÖ Also I'm quite interested in everything. It doesn't have to be classic literature.

Walking or yoga? Those shouldn't impact your recovery (baring extreme versions of those exercises).

Maybe I'll try some of that. I'll be honest. What I really want to do is work more on my upper body strength. But my shoulder still hurts too much, so it is out of the question currently. (I'll lose all my progress. Stupid shoulder. ūüėÖ) But I do like the idea of just walking a bit more.

Those are looking really good already! Even if they're not perfectly accurate and realistic, they have a sort of stylised charm - the not-perfectly-straight lines look more like an intentional style choice than a mistake. I bet you could turn the curvy buildings into a new style¬†ūüėÜ. I understand that you'd probably rather choose to have that as a style rather than being forced into it, though.¬†

Thank you! I'm not quite sure if you can call it a style choice if you literally cannot help yourself. But if I don't improve I will consider to pretend that it is!

If they write a book like this and they didn't at least turn the male lead into a dragon I would be upset. In the book he is introduced at a dance, where he doesn't want to dance with any of the local country bumpkins because they're all just kind of ugly to him. Officially that is excused by him being very socially awkward, but I don't know... I manage to be socially awkward without telling everyone they're really unsightly and offend me with their presence. He is really, really rich. He has a huge ego, no need to exaggerate too much there. The one thing a bit off, is that he doesn't seem to be all that flashy when it comes to dressing himself/jewelry. But I'm sure that could be fixed. There can be some artistic license, right.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alanna said:

The original human characters all stayed human and there were also dragons (mostly peaceful but usually rather grumpy and demanding) that only some humans were aware of. The beginning plot stayed similar but diverged later on. It wasn't great literature but it was fun for what it is. I just checked and there are actually various dragon versions of P&P, so there might be a dragon society version out there!

If anyone would like an original story of dragons set in that general time period, His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik is a good read.

Oh no, I cannot put into words how disappointed I am that Darcy isn't a dragon. But I will try: I am very, very disappointed. I hope there is another version with dragon Darcy, though. Or some weird fan fiction somewhere on the internet.

I will have a look at the recommendation though, thank you!

• Like 1

Summary Week 1

#1 - I stuck to my goal for the day most of the week and definitely didn't go over if I consider the weekly budget. However, the scale didn't move. I think there is a real chance my deficit is more along the lines of 200-300 calories now, which together with some fluctuations would explain why nothing is happening really. So I am considering what to do.  At least this morning I kind of prefer the idea of a shorter (12 weeks or so) and a bit stricter calorie deficit with maintenance breaks in between. Maybe I'll give it a shot this coming week.

#2 - I stuck to the running plan, but I do want to add something else for the days I am not running. I currently cannot run more (my legs would kill me) and I cannot really do some of the other things I was working on because of my shoulder, but maybe more walks or some yoga like Alanna suggested. Anything at all really.

#3 - I'm getting used to do the stretching routines, it's not as annoying anymore. Still quite boring but I do keep them fairly short and it helps. I missed one day this week, but I think that's alright. Still a lot better than it used to be.

• Like 4