Nova Joins the Umbrella Academy

As per usual, I'm like a million years late on the pop culture anything, but I am really enjoying The Umbrella Academy, so I'm basing my challenge on some of the different characters. 

giphy.gif

Allison: Allison's main power is her words, so I will be trying to write for at least 30 minutes twice a week.

Luther: Luther's whole shtick is strength, so I will be doing 2 strength workouts a week

Diego: Diego can make anything deadly.  He is precise and practiced, so I will eat only as many as 1800 calories a day

Klaus: Klaus does lots of drugs for the purposes of maintaining his mental health, so I will take my drugs (prescribed meds, lol) to maintain my mental health

Number 5: Number 5 really wants to stop the apocalypse, and at times, my house can look like a post-apocolyptic scene, so I will clean up the dishes every night and vacuum 3 times a week.

Ben: Ben is always there supporting Klaus and helping him do his best, so I will continue to talk to and support my husband with his work.

Vanya: Vanya underestimates herself all the time and apologizes for basically existing, so I will remember to be kind to myself and allow myself to make mistakes

Well, that's me!!  

• Like 8

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

On 5/2/2021 at 10:38 PM, Jupiter said:

This is a great challenge! Following! :) 

Thanks!  I'm hoping to keep it simple.  When are you posting yours?

• Like 1

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

On 5/2/2021 at 10:50 PM, Rookie said:

I loved Umbrella Academy! It's great how you tied it into your challenge.

Thanks!  I'm gonna have to add good old Reggie and his journalling to make sure I check in at least every day 

On 5/2/2021 at 11:14 PM, Salinger said:

Great to see you As always 

Thanks!  Have you posted yet?  How's life with your fiance?

On 5/3/2021 at 12:53 AM, foxinthenorth said:

Ahh I still have not watched season 2 but I loved the first season of Umbrella Academy!

I just started season 2.  It is glorious so far.

On 5/3/2021 at 3:36 AM, TimovieMan said:

I first read that as "Umbrella Company" and thought it was going to be Resident Evil themed... 😱

Sorry to disappoint, ha.  Welcome!

giphy.gif

Well,  it's been 2 days and thank god it's 0 week because I have been on a slow start

Allison:  not yet...but its a notoriously forgotten goal.

Luther: Not strength specifically, but I did go to an hour long yoga class today.  A girl in our neighborhood is offering donation-only classes outside.

Diego: I haven't counted, I need to get back in the habit of using my app.  I have been trying to be better.  I said no to a 2nd helping of dinner, so there's that.

Klaus: giphy.gif

I need to be fucking better about this in the morning before I leave.  I LIKE ME ON MY MEDS, I have NO IDEA what the hold up is!!!

Number 5: Dishes ✔️ Vacuuming 😬

Ben: I have been KILLING this, but I think I am ignoring myself a bit now...

Vanya: I was very kind to my inflexible self at yoga today.  I did my best and was proud i stayed the whole class.

PLAN FOR THE WEEK and hopefully the challenge… (because mid-week plans are better than no plans at all)

• Food: big, protein heavy breakfast, light snack lunch (apples and peanut butter, Belvita crackers, carrots), reasonable portion of dinner
  • Strength workouts: Wednesday/Friday: Going back to my spreadsheet.  I'll just pick 2 a week until I build back up.
  • Writing:  Tuesday/Thursday: I'm willing to try this in the morning.  I LOVE my quiet time in the morning.  A cup of coffee and some quiet.  I used to journal every morning as well, but I will build back up to that later
  • Vacuuming: Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday

We will see how all this goes.

giphy.gif

• Like 5

On 5/4/2021 at 10:14 PM, Maigs said:

NOVA!! Glad to see you around here again. And I love Umbrella Academy! 

Hi!  Where's your challenge?  Or are you doing the lurky-lurk this go round?

On 5/4/2021 at 10:27 PM, Elastigirl said:

Following!

Yay!  Welcome!!!

21 hours ago, Jupiter said:

I should have mine posted by the weekend. :) 

Sweet.  I'll be stalking the forums for it.

Well, it's been an interesting few days.  So, what I failed to mention about yoga was that I happened to lay on a fire ant hill,  and apparently I'm more than a little allergic, so I have this...

Spoiler

IMG_20210506_090322_01.jpg.7d2c6f936b0f8366ee5fb4a7117960d4.jpg

It is well outside the circle now (this picture was this morning).  The other arm has 5. 

Spoiler

IMG_20210505_210830.thumb.jpg.e3540679389dfc9ddf588eac0d453221.jpg

That was last night.  They have also doubled in size.  Woohoo. 

Luckily, my skin is hella fucked already, so I already have a prescription for a very strong anti-histamine (works for my anxiety and sleep issues too) and a prescription steroid cream, but I'll probably go to the doc anyway just in case because they are warm and could be infected.

Beyond that, today was pretty normal.  I did take my meds today (along with all the other shit...so my body is probably mostly chemical today, but it is what it is some days.)

Kids have been writing me cards in their foreign language classes for teacher appreciation week, so that's been nice.  And we had a food truck for lunch today.

Other than that, hubs and I have been binge-watching House and enjoying each other's company, which is nice.

That's all I've got for today!!

giphy.gif

IMG_20210506_165743.jpg

IMG_20210506_164017.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Sorry it has been forever since I last checked in! I love your challenge. The Umbrella Academy is one of my favorite shows on Netflix. I have thought about doing a UA inspired challenge, but just haven't got around to it yet.

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 11 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

On 5/4/2021 at 7:50 PM, Novaurora said:

I LIKE ME ON MY MEDS, I have NO IDEA what the hold up is!!!

Same. I'm less anxious and more focused and energetic, why can't I do the thing to be that way? Grrr.

• Like 1
On 5/6/2021 at 9:07 PM, Novaurora said:

Hi!  Where's your challenge?  Or are you doing the lurky-lurk this go round?

You managed to find me, but it's probably going to mostly lurky-lurk  even with the challenge

Ouch on the fire ant bites! Hopefully they go down quickly. 

And I love your hair too. Before talking to management about going down in hours I considered quitting and taking the summer completely off and was definitely going to put lilac highlights in my hair

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

On 5/6/2021 at 11:06 PM, Jupiter said:

when did you dye your hair, it looks so cute!!

16 hours ago, Maigs said:

And I love your hair too. Before talking to management about going down in hours I considered quitting and taking the summer completely off and was definitely going to put lilac highlights in my hair

Thanks guys!  Funny enough, like 2 months ago it was a nice deep purple, but the fade out (on the walmart salon color) has been GLORIOUS.  I like it even more than the original color if I'm being honest.  Happy accident for sure.,

On 5/6/2021 at 11:06 PM, Jupiter said:

Oh, ouch. I hope those bites get better fast!

16 hours ago, Maigs said:

Ouch on the fire ant bites! Hopefully they go down quickly. 

Ant bite update: all good here.  They have gone down considerably  and I was able to avoid the DR.

On 5/6/2021 at 11:48 PM, Grizzy said:

Same. I'm less anxious and more focused and energetic, why can't I do the thing to be that way? Grrr.

giphy.gif

On 5/6/2021 at 11:16 PM, Aquarii said:

Sorry it has been forever since I last checked in! I love your challenge. The Umbrella Academy is one of my favorite shows on Netflix. I have thought about doing a UA inspired challenge, but just haven't got around to it yet.

Oh Aquarii, I skipped the last challenge and bailed on the last 3 before that.  No APOLOGIES NECESSARY!

So, WEEK ONE HERE WE COME....

giphy.gif

My plan is to follow last week's plan that I didn't follow, and you know, actually follow it.  We'll see how that goes.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Novaurora said:

Oh Aquarii, I skipped the last challenge and bailed on the last 3 before that.  No APOLOGIES NECESSARY!

I bailed halfway through the last challenge, so I am right there with you on the comeback.

• Like 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 11 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

IMG_20210509_135453.thumb.jpg.bb302e8d6b4415d04146fbacd60c76b0.jpgIMG_20210509_135459.thumb.jpg.ae046805b0dda3a329d7981c7cf7b207.jpg

I started a to do list journal back in 2019, and added a food journal in 2020 that stuck for a while.  Rebooting both for this challenge.  Consistency here we come (hopefully)  lol

• Like 4

WEEK 1 GOAL TRACKING POST: 

Allison: 📓

Luther: 💪

Diego: 🍉🍉 

Klaus: 💊 💊 

Number 5: 🍽️ 🍽️🍽️

Ben: 💙💙 💙

Vanya: 🥰🥰🥰

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Novaurora said:

My plan is to follow last week's plan that I didn't follow, and you know, actually follow it.  We'll see how that goes.

As good a plan as any. But I think you can also always change your goals or have fewer or whatever keeps you going. That's coming from a challenge quitter though. Not sure if it is sound advice. 🙃

Anyway, here to follow. 💚

4 hours ago, ninjakitten said:

That's coming from a challenge quitter though.

Episode 5 GIF by The Simpsons

My tenure here at NF has been filled with plenty of misadventures, weeks spent chasing the wagon having fallen off, and various mental health (and shame) sabbaticals.    It's great advice.  Some progress in better than none!

9 hours ago, Fonzico said:

Great theme, solid goals, I am HERE for it!

Woohoo!  Welcome!

PLAN FOR THE WEEK

• Food: big, protein heavy breakfast, light snack lunch (apples and peanut butter, Belvita crackers, carrots), reasonable portion of dinner
  • Strength workouts: Wednesday/Friday: Going back to my spreadsheet.  I'll just pick 2 a week until I build back up.
  • Writing:  Tuesday/Thursday: I'm willing to try this in the morning.  I LOVE my quiet time in the morning.  A cup of coffee and some quiet.  I used to journal every morning as well, but I will build back up to that later
  • Vacuuming: Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday

I woke up this morning (later than I meant to, but earlier than usual....score) and already feeling behind, except last week me had planned for this.  We are morning people, unless that morning is Monday, ha.

• Like 3

Good morning!

Yesterday was solid, overall. 

Food: Cereal w/ whole milk, coffee w/ creamer, apple slices, peanut butter, half a pack of belvita crackers, carrots, "home made" thin crust chipotle chicken and spinach pizza. CALORIES: 1409 

While 1400 is a bit lower than usual, I'm still not consistently exercising, and more importantly, I ate when I was hungry and stopped when I was full.

After school (a good, albeit uneventful day) I got some time to work on some writing in the evening.  I have been toying with the idea of writing DnD one offs for a while, and letting my husband test them at his table to see if they are any good, so I have been crafting that.  I would love to turn it into a side gig, but I'm sure that market is fairly flooded, so right now it's just scratching my creative itch. 

I updated my goal tracker, and thus far, I'm doing pretty well.  I'm making a slight change to "Luther" and saying that any kinds of workout counts, because I feel I should be getting credit for building this yoga class habit (it's an hour long class), and I'm also thinking of tuning my bike up this weekend.  I will change to three workouts since anything goes.  And it has to be at least 30 minutes.  This will also help if (like today) I don't get up early enough, and I can still take a brisk walk in the afternoon with a pup and count it.  Not as strenuous as a session under the bar, but still movement.

And I'm realizing that after months of rolling out of bed at like 6:45, I'm going to have to slow walk to alarm.  So, this week, the goal is to get up at 6, which I have done both days this week.  Next week we will walk it back to 5:45, then 5:30, then 5:15, then 5:00.  By the end of this challenge, my old wake up time will be restored, and my morning routine rebuilt,

On a side note, my fitness watch just buzzed.  I type with one finger, and apparently it thinks I have been biking for the past 10 minutes.......wow.  

On that note 

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Good morning!

So, yesterday has some key breakdowns in easy to avoid places, so I'm not worried about it because I can easily adjust today.  I made the mistake of waiting until the last second to make breakfast, which means I didn't take my meds before I left, which also means I didn't take them at all. :( BUT I am already eating breakfast as we speak, so we won't make that mistake again.  Then, I had candy in my room for the kids (bribery for the last week of school) and I may have eating more than I needed to during my planning period. 

giphy.gif

That plus a heavier breakfast than usual and a change up at dinner time (from stir fry to chipotle chicken mac n cheese) put me at 1950 (400 over my original estimation, but only 150 over goal) for calories.   But I'm not too worried, as my last 2 days had been rather low, and my overall weight trend is still down (I weigh myself every morning so I can look at trends and not the number).  Other than that, I had a really great yoga class and a solid day at school.

Today should be good.  School is winding down, kids are either sleeping or desperately trying to bring their grades up.  

• Like 5