I'm not sure how this challenge is going to go.

I've been battling down my perfectionism, and I've let go of a lot over the years.  But I still want to be making some kind of progress.  So many days I just don't have time to do anything for myself.  All this week I have to cover classes for an instructor who's become sick, so I can't go home at lunch and exercise.  There's no time to do it in the evenings because of family obligations. I can't get up any earlier in the morning or I'm a zombie all day. Do you know why dad bod is a thing?  Because we all don't have time to do anything about it.  Sure, I  could loose weight with strict dietary controls, but I'm afraid I'll lose strength too, and I don't want that.  I can't tell you how frustrating it is to have the desire, motivation, and discipline to do the work of being fit and healthy, but to be totally derailed because I just don't have time to make it happen.

So what will I do?  I'll do my best.

I'll try to eat mindfully, because that's always the right thing to do.  I'll exercise when I can, because anything is better than nothing.  I'll try to come here and talk about how I'm doing, because the reflection is good for me.  But I don't have any plans.  I'm not making any goals.  I don't know what the f* I'm doing from one day to the next. 

Happy Challenge!

• Like 4

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Finding that balance is hard!  I have the same struggles with balance and perfectionism.  I'm following in solidarity.  

Gif 336: Carousel, Fail, Gif, Fall Down | Gifon007.eu

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

31 minutes ago, Shello said:

Finding that balance is hard!  I have the same struggles with balance and perfectionism.  I'm following in solidarity.  

Gif 336: Carousel, Fail, Gif, Fall Down | Gifon007.eu

High Five Boom GIF by TipsyElves.com

• Like 1

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

KBO. - Churchill

Man I like this.   It feels so ... weightless.    Do good things, when you can, because they are good.   I could get on board with this!

Level 71 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

3 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Man I like this.   It feels so ... weightless.    Do good things, when you can, because they are good.   I could get on board with this!

I keep oscillating between liberation and despair.

1 hour ago, DrFeelgood said:

Only all too well.

solidarity GIF by Center for Story-based Strategy

• Like 1

KBO. - Churchill

5 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

I keep oscillating between liberation and despair.

A pithier statement of the human condition, I have not seen.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Fellow Dad Bod wanter-to-get-rid-of-er here.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

11 hours ago, Cheetah said:

I'll try to eat mindfully, because that's always the right thing to do.  I'll exercise when I can, because anything is better than nothing.  I'll try to come here and talk about how I'm doing, because the reflection is good for me. 

And this is absolutely good enough. 

I think I also have a dad bod. 

Shrug GIFs | Tenor

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

17 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

A pithier statement of the human condition, I have not seen.

I've been starting to look into Philosophy, and thinking more about the human condition.  It's fascinating when you start to take it apart and put it back together in different ways.

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Fellow Dad Bod wanter-to-get-rid-of-er here.

Season 7 Episode 10 GIF by Portlandia

17 hours ago, theflyingaccountant said:

This.

Plans are overrated.  :)

I hope this is true, but I have a lot of doubts.

15 hours ago, Atrytone said:

Big Mood.

Indeed.  I'm glad you're here.

12 hours ago, obax said:

Agreed

Feel free to quote me.  😉

11 hours ago, deftona said:

And this is absolutely good enough. 

I think I also have a dad bod. 

Shrug GIFs | Tenor

Thanks for your continued support.   I'm glad that you're here.

It's Wednesday.

So far I've eaten well today.  My current pattern is  Breakfast - cottage cheese, or a protein bar, or nothing, depending on hunger and convenience levels.  Lunch - leftovers, or a sammich, or a protein bar, again depending on hunger and convenience.  Dinner varies depending on what the fam. is doing.  Over the last month or two, I've been sliding into some old over-eating habits, so I'm trying to be more mindful and make better choices, and so far this week has been better.  I've been battling over-thinking food again lately, so the real focus is letting go of that and trying to just be present and mindful in the moment.  Today, at least, has been good.

I'm pretty busy today.  I've been in class all day, and I have an interview with an instructor candidate pretty much right now, and orientation in an hour and a half.  So today is pretty cooked.  I'll try to check in again tonight if I can and let you know how it all went.

• Like 2

KBO. - Churchill

It's Thursday.

Last night some friends came over and we made fajitas.  I ate roughly twice as much food as I probably needed, just out of habit and stress.  So that was not mindful.  I'll try again today.  No exercise has happened yet this week, but I'm not getting my hopes up for it.  Well, possibly tonight I might get a workout in.  We shall see.

My beautiful wife's father is not doing well.  Last year he underwent treatment for multiple myeloma, and now he's not breathing well.  The theory is that it could be damage to his lungs from the cancer treatment.  The docs haven't said anything for sure yet, but we kind of think that he probably only has a few more years, depending on how quickly the lung issue progresses.  So everyone is dealing with that, and it's hard.

My instructor who has been out this week will likely be out a couple of more weeks.  He had a minor heart attack, and I don't know when he'll be cleared to come back.  He asked me on the phone if he was going to lose his job, and I was pleased to be able to say Absolutely Not.  One benefit of being the boss is I get to do the right thing sometimes.  But this does mean at least several more weeks of teaching, which means no lunchtime workouts.

I don't know what to do with myself.  I think I just have to keep letting things go.  Sure, I'd love to work up the endurance to take long bicycle tours.  Sure, I'd love to walk 5 miles a day and always be ready for long backpacking trips.  Sure, I'd love to build a bunch of strength and muscle and look like an underwear model.  But that's not reality right now.  I have to let it all go.  I have to accept that I can only do what I can do.  I have to accept that I'm only going to see progress and improvement proportionate to my limited resources.  I'm going to have to learn to stop feeling frustrated and disappointed with what I wish I could achieve but can't.

I'll keep doing my best, like I said I would.  I'll take the opportunities as they come.  I think this will still help further my long term goals.  I just wish I could get rid of the voice that's saying it's not enough, it's not good enough, it isn't worth doing, I'm wasting my time.  The struggle is wearying, and I'd like to be at peace.

• Sad 1

KBO. - Churchill

Sorry about the FIL and the situation at work. It all stinks.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

12 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sorry about the FIL and the situation at work. It all stinks.

Agreed.  Thank you.

• Like 1

KBO. - Churchill

I'm sorry to hear about your father in law, I hope they can do something for him

1 hour ago, Cheetah said:

My instructor who has been out this week will likely be out a couple of more weeks.  He had a minor heart attack, and I don't know when he'll be cleared to come back.  He asked me on the phone if he was going to lose his job, and I was pleased to be able to say Absolutely Not.  One benefit of being the boss is I get to do the right thing sometimes.  

What, he could get sacked for this with a different boss? How on earth is that legal?

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

6 minutes ago, deftona said:

I'm sorry to hear about your father in law, I hope they can do something for him

What, he could get sacked for this with a different boss? How on earth is that legal?

Even in the states, it isn't. FMLA (Family and Medical Leave Act) prevents employers from firing workers for extended medical leaves.

• Like 1

That is a lot to deal with.  You definitely have limited resources and that's hard too. 

5 minutes ago, deftona said:

It's not legal to a limit anyway.   Employers are required to allow people to not work due to illness and keep their job open for them but it's only limited to 12 weeks.  If someone can't return after 12 weeks the employer isn't required to keep them employed, though many would offer other alternatives like a leave of absence.  Keep in mind, employers are NOT required to pay for anything for those 12 weeks.  Some have short or long term disability payments options but it's not required and they aren't that helpful.  

• Wow 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Even in the states, it isn't. FMLA (Family and Medical Leave Act) prevents employers from firing workers for extended medical leaves.

It still happens.  In Indiana you don't have to say why you're firing someone, and proving intent in court is tricky.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

KBO. - Churchill

It's Monday.

On Thursday and Saturday I managed to get in solid lifting sessions.  I'm hopeful that I'll get one tonight after work.  I'm feeling more optimistic than I was last week.  A lot of this stuff is just the mental gymnastics of adjusting my expectations and beating down the perfectionism so that I can function in a balanced way and feel good about doing what I can do.  Sometimes I lose sight of it, and it's discouraging.  Today I'm feeling good again.  What I'm happy about from this weekend, is that even when I was feeling discouraged, I didn't use that as an excuse to miss the opportunities that came.  I made the time to get the workouts done.  The discipline is overpowering the occasional lack of motivation, which is a condition I've been striving toward for several years.  It's really nice to see that paying off.

It looks like my instructor might be back this week, and I could begin the hand-off of this class.  That would be nice.

We all had a nice mothers day this weekend.  My eating was sometimes mindful and occasionally not so much, but overall I feel that I've done pretty well.  I'm going to try to continue to do well this week.

I think that's about it for now.

• Like 6

KBO. - Churchill

You've got a lot going on, but I am glad to see you facing it with a good approach.

Darn us for rangering and wanting all the things at once.  It is such a hard thing to cope with - to learn patience, restraint and picking only one small thing instead of a dozen huge things.

Your work story made me smile, because you were a place of hope for someone who likely needed some in that moment.  Thank you for being that way.

Hope things elsewhere become a somewhat easier plate to juggle, despite the gloom outlook on it.

I've been following your counters project.  Should I land a house, I might have to pay you for some help!   INCREDIBLE what you are DIY-ing!!

• Like 3

Level 71 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

On 5/4/2021 at 9:02 PM, Cheetah said:

For myself i just try to think of that time, just try to do as good as i can. Lose as  little momentum as possible, or if possible even gain a little good.

I think in the end that will make us a winner too!

Also, hi Cheets!

1992 encino man brendan fraser GIF - Find on GIFER

... a little odd in the head ...

17 hours ago, Starpuck said:

You've got a lot going on, but I am glad to see you facing it with a good approach.

Darn us for rangering and wanting all the things at once.  It is such a hard thing to cope with - to learn patience, restraint and picking only one small thing instead of a dozen huge things.

Your work story made me smile, because you were a place of hope for someone who likely needed some in that moment.  Thank you for being that way.

Hope things elsewhere become a somewhat easier plate to juggle, despite the gloom outlook on it.

I've been following your counters project.  Should I land a house, I might have to pay you for some help!   INCREDIBLE what you are DIY-ing!!

Thanks!  We're really happy with how everything turned out.  I will totally help you remodel the kitchen in your new Indianapolis home.  😄

7 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

For myself i just try to think of that time, just try to do as good as i can. Lose as  little momentum as possible, or if possible even gain a little good.

I think in the end that will make us a winner too!

Also, hi Cheets!

Hello!

KBO. - Churchill

It's Tuesday.

Last night I did get a good workout in.  My son came to work out with me, for the first time.  He's 9 so all I'm doing is showing him the technique and letting him play with the 5-lb dumbells and such.  Although, I had him deadlifting a kettlebell and he was starting to get the hang of it.  So there's potential there.  It was fun to hang out with him.

Eating was pretty good yesterday.  So far today has been good, too.  maybe tonight will continue that way; I'm not sure what we're doing for dinner but it might be pancakes.  If it is I'll chow a protein bar to go with it.

My missing instructor will be back tomorrow.  So that's good news.

I really want to go home but I can't yet, because I have another instructor who will most likely be in late this evening, and I can't leave until he gets here.  Le Sigh.

• Like 2

KBO. - Churchill