Skin joins Delta Squad

Did someone say week 0 on a new challenge??  And May the 4th???

Excited Star Wars GIFStar Wars Falling GIF

If you followed my previous challenge, you saw that there were some wins and losses. I was able to blow my DL goal out of the water but failed to hit my squat or my bench goal (so close with 160, but failed on 165). I also failed on my weight goal, but did a solid job of completing my daily mindset goals.

Given that I am in a huge transition stage in  my life now (graduated and moving to a new job) a few things have been thrown into disarray - so I think starting a new challenge should help keep me constant. However, unlike my last challenge I plan to keep a daily log in the "Daily  Battle Logs and Epic Quest" section, and keep this to weekly updates with wins/losses/weekly thoughts and updates. Time to get some goals. 

Workouts

Despite my love for Sev - I am still an aspiring Warrior rather than an Assassin. While I hold it as a goal generally to be fit and do cardio and conditioning. My goal is to get strong as possible. So here are some smart goals and some weekly point systems for fun. 

One Rep Max Goals:

• Squat: 235 +
  • Deadlift: 295 +
  • Bench: 185 +

In order to help me achieve these and power through tough sets I'll add the following workout point system to my routine and start tracking my character points:

• Successfully complete 3x5 at a new weight: +1 strength point
  • Do a steady state cardio session: +1 endurance
  • Do a conditioning workout: +1 conditioning
  • New ORM PR: +5 strength
  • New conditioning PR: +5 conditioning
  • Fail a 3x5: -1 strength
  • Miss a steady state: -1 endurance
  • Miss a conditioning: -1 conditioning

I'll be starting off each ability at 0 points, so we can see what level we can get to.

Nutrition and Recovery

You'll notice I added recovery to this, because I feel the two are so intertwined. As many of you remember I struggled with two things. Gaining weight, and doing my upper body mobility. As for weight, I have noticed that I need to hit at least 3,350 + to gain, so we can go ahead and set that as a daily calorie goal. The point system is as follows:

• Hit 3,350 + calories: +1 strength
  • Each 1/2 lb gain: +1 strength
  • Each 1/2 loss: -1 strength
  • Complete lower or upper mobility: +1 agility
  • Miss either mobility: -1 agility

Mindset

As I mentioned earlier, the last few weeks have kinda thrown me for a loop with everything going on. Graduating, moving, and getting prepared to start a new role is a lot. So this is going to be a really big one for me, especially given that I will only be in the office on a limited basis to begin with, making my mindset work even more important. I'll go ahead and institute the following point system.

• Meditate for 5 minutes: +1 wisdom
  • Read 1+ chapter in a novel (currently in Atlas Shrugged) : +1 wisdom 
  • Read daily passage and spend time in prayer: +1 wisdom
  • Miss any of the above: -2 wisdom

I am making the detraction larger than the bonus for doing them simply because I think these actions are the ones that require the greatest daily practice, and I feel that missing a day can really throw me off. I think this will be a motivator as well when I am feeling lazy.

So that's a lot... but I think that being detailed is SMART (shoutout to @Rurik Harrgath)! I look forward to keeping you guys updated with my progress and will be creating my daily log soon - which will contain full daily diaries with progress photos. I will link here once that has been created!

Delta Squad Out - May the 4th Be With You!

season 5 a sunny day in the void GIF by Star Wars

• Like 4

"Flying is easy, its landing that's hard" - Sev

Great challenge! Atlas Shrugged is a really interesting book.   A lot of good things to ponder in it.I don't agree with everything, but even though it was a hefty read, I felt it was worth my time.  I called it interesting, but I also remember, there were lots of  slow portions of the book too!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

10 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Great challenge! Atlas Shrugged is a really interesting book.   A lot of good things to ponder in it.I don't agree with everything, but even though it was a hefty read, I felt it was worth my time.  I called it interesting, but I also remember, there were lots of  slow portions of the book too!

It is certainly a thick read - but I have already gotten a lot to think about from it. I am finding myself annotating it much more than my previous reads this year. Might set me back a bit time wise in terms of my reading goal, so I'll likely have to follow it up with some shorter/less complex reads.

• Like 1

Following for the Star Wars references!

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34

On 5/4/2021 at 2:37 PM, SkindianaBones said:

So that's a lot... but I think that being detailed is SMART (shoutout to @Rurik Harrgath)! 

And I'm loving the measurability and gameification you've got going on!

Bad Batch GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1

[Level ??] Half-Orc Witcher (Blood Hunter/Ranger)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Padded armor, Novigrad longsword, adventurer's pack & alchemy kit.

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

lvanimal3jpg-f2c067b8813b4d6a.jpg

Yus!

Nobody throws a party like Delta... Squad?

Wait, what movie are you referencing again?

• Like 3

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

2 hours ago, Stronkey Kong said:

lvanimal3jpg-f2c067b8813b4d6a.jpg

Yus!

Nobody throws a party like Delta... Squad?

Wait, what movie are you referencing again?

As a fraternal man myself I have to say we love this.

No movies here... just an antiquated video game.

Literally undefeated as far as FPS Campaigns go. Still waiting on LucasFilm (AKA our Disney overlords) to do anything with Sev, especially given that Deadshot in bad batch is a villainy type 😞

• Like 3

I haven't checked Bad Batch out yet but I'm storing up the episodes for when I can binge a few together!

Hope the move goes smooth.

• That's Metal 1

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Mission Report: Week 0

Week 0 was solid. While we topped out on the bench, we have continued to gain weight and get stronger in most of my lifts, including finally breaking through a plateau on my 3x5 Squats, hitting 175 lbs.

Spoiler

I also hit 185 lbs on Monday 😁

While I hit some of my mental exercises, I need to make sure I am continuing to prioritize them, especially with everything that I currently have going on. Making them a priority will make sure I get them done. This, along with the fact that I am now taking a coffee tolerance break will be my largest struggles in the next few days. I will be trying to backlog some of this week (Saturday and Sunday - don't even ask about Monday) in my daily log momentarily.

Week 0 Stats

Strength: 3

Endurance: 0

Conditioning: 1

Agility: 4

Wisdom: 3

• Like 3

Awesome milestones this weekend!  Especially considering the move.

I'm overdue for a caffeine tolerance break myself but I just can't seem to buck the trend just yet 🤣

• Haha 1

On 5/11/2021 at 11:34 AM, Rurik Harrgath said:

Awesome milestones this weekend!  Especially considering the move.

I'm overdue for a caffeine tolerance break myself but I just can't seem to buck the trend just yet 🤣

Thank you! Still a lot going on an unfortunately have been slacking on my logging. I am going to consider the last few days a wash (accomplished some goals and nto so much on others). Plan is to once again begin my logs on the daily tomorrow morning.

As for the caffeine break, the way to go is picking a weekend you don't care about and starting their. The first 24-48 hours are pretty miserable if you haven't taken a t-break in a long time.

On 5/11/2021 at 3:37 PM, Hangrybear said:

Just sneaking in here before you get h u g e. With all that's going on in your life, you're doing great. Rooting for you and your strength gains. 

Thank you brother! Now I just need furniture and I'll feel like a real adult 😅. As for the strength, we did hit 225 for a 3x5 deadlift for the first time in a while so that was an excellent feeling this morning. Also - new home gym is incredible, and so are the people there. Looking forward to fully integrating myself into my new home. 

This week, now that I am beginning to settle into my surroundings, I am getting more consistent on most of my goals. Made it a point to really spend my R&R time before I start my new role reading, and getting into a routine of early morning scripture, prayer, and meditation. I am also really close to leveling up to level 2 on strength and wisdom (I just need one or two skill points in those categories to reach the next level)! I hit some really awesome strength milestones this week, breaking through on Squats to hit 3x5 @ 185 lbs and on Deadlifts as well, hitting 3x5 @ 225 lbs. Hoping to continue to work my way back up on the bench in the next few weeks.

Week 1 Stats

Strength: 8

Endurance: 1

Conditioning: 2

Agility: 6

Wisdom: 9

star wars 80s GIF

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

On 5/16/2021 at 8:26 AM, SkindianaBones said:

I hit some really awesome strength milestones this week, breaking through on Squats to hit 3x5 @ 185 lbs and on Deadlifts as well, hitting 3x5 @ 225 lbs. Hoping to continue to work my way back up on the bench in the next few weeks.

That's what I like to hear!  Get it, son!

Flex GIFs | Tenor

Leveling up those stat points right away.  I can feel it in my bones!  Great work lately even despite of the slight disruption that is moving and unpacking ;) 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 3:26 PM, SkindianaBones said:

This week, now that I am beginning to settle into my surroundings, I am getting more consistent on most of my goals. Made it a point to really spend my R&R time before I start my new role reading, and getting into a routine of early morning scripture, prayer, and meditation. I am also really close to leveling up to level 2 on strength and wisdom (I just need one or two skill points in those categories to reach the next level)! I hit some really awesome strength milestones this week, breaking through on Squats to hit 3x5 @ 185 lbs and on Deadlifts as well, hitting 3x5 @ 225 lbs. Hoping to continue to work my way back up on the bench in the next few weeks.

Looking good! Awesome job on the lifting PRs!

Music Video Dancing GIF by Hey Violet

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 5/18/2021 at 12:49 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

That's what I like to hear!  Get it, son!

Flex GIFs | Tenor

Leveling up those stat points right away.  I can feel it in my bones!  Great work lately even despite of the slight disruption that is moving and unpacking ;) 

On 5/19/2021 at 12:28 AM, Harriet said:

Looking good! Awesome job on the lifting PRs!

Music Video Dancing GIF by Hey Violet

Thanks guys! New home gym has proved an awesome environment. Now if I can just get some furniture at home.

Drinking Coffee GIF by 60 Second Docs

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SkindianaBones said:

Thanks guys! New home gym has proved an awesome environment. Now if I can just get some furniture at home.

I fail to see the problem.  Some bands in the squat rack or a bench should do nicely as a place to park your posterior ;) 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 1:20 PM, SkindianaBones said:

Drinking Coffee GIF by 60 Second Docs

On 5/20/2021 at 5:47 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

I fail to see the problem.  Some bands in the squat rack or a bench should do nicely as a place to park your posterior ;) 

Or just squat all the time, instead of sitting on chairs like some feeble modern human.

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Week 2 Report

So uhhhh.... week 2 was pretty hectic.

lost star wars GIF

However, despite this I had a solid week in my new role, got some new furniture, and made a lot of progress on my strength goals. The main things I want to work on going into this week are consistency with my logging and my mindset goals. For this I have turned to Todoist, which is an awesome app/website that allows me to input tasks with deadlines, including recurring deadlines, that helps motivate me to finish them. I highly recommend it to anyone who needs to dump their to -do list out of their head, or just automate certain tasks like paying your bills etc.

You can find it here: https://todoist.com/app/ (No I am not affiliated).

Stats

Strength (2): 3

Endurance: 2

Conditioning: 3

Agility: 8

Wisdom (2): -4 (Working on it....)

• Like 2