KCAleece's Summer Alliance (Part 1)

Alliance with who, I hear you asking?

Well, you, of course!

And also my doctors, husband, teachers, new co-workers, new boss, local librarian, probably the baristas at my favorite coffee shop that just reopened...

This summer for me is really the pinnacle of the idea that no man is an island - with all the transitions and new tasks going on, I'm going to be depending on the people around me more than ever:

• One grad school semester just ended, but a new one is starting soon (May 17th) and I'm taking twice as many credit hours as usual so I can get started on my thesis.
  • My current job will be ending very shortly (May 28th) and then I will be slowly transitioning to a new one over the summer, complete with writing my own programs from scratch.
  • I'm also having surgery on June 2nd to repair a persistent issue from my c-section back in 2017 (laparoscopic and out-patient, but surgery nevertheless...and honestly barely-not-experimental surgery, this procedure has only been around for about 4-5 years).
  • While it won't be healed this summer - it takes a minimum of 3 months to heal, so at least September before I'm ready for anything else - we will also be discussing our next steps RE: infertility treatments...
  • ...while simultaneously welcoming not one, not two, but THREE family babies this summer. Two of which live close enough that we're fully expected to visit. And apparently provide gifts for, which no one told me until yesterday but that's a whole other story.

Also doesn't "Summer Alliance" sound kinda badass? Or is that just me?

Anyway, that means that while my quests are focused on a few different things, I'm trying to find ways in each one to build some of those alliances with others so they're nice and strong for the variety of tasks they have to survive:

Quest One: Walk (or maybe run)

This will obviously need to pause right after my surgery, though I'm not entirely sure for how long. But family walks are a favorite of my kid and it's good for all of us (plus it should be easy to score a few points with another camping trip planned in May, we always hike at least one trail!)

I got the Walk to Mordor app...I think 2 challenges ago now? and we are about 5 miles shy of Buckleberry Ferry. I'm also going to start including personal walks and runs, if I go on (m)any, but my RE says I'm under no circumstances to go more than 14 miles a week. Why 14, I'm not actually sure, it seems rather arbitrary. But he's the expert who I am paying literally tens of thousands of dollars for his help, so a 14 miles per week cap it is.

If I got to that cap exactly every single week, it would actually get me precisely to the doors of Bree...but I'm definitely not going to get that cap every week even before I consider the fact I'm also having surgery, so I'm setting my goal at being captured by the Barrow-wight instead. Though if the surgeon says I need to sit on my butt more, I might stop at Tom Bombadil's house. I have my pre-surgery consultation at the end of May and should be able to ask her then.

Quest Two: Begin Tackling the Sugar Beast

Boo! Hiss! I don't want to do this...which probably means I need to do this more than just about anything. Holy cow do I eat a lot of dessert and it only gets worse when I'm stressed. I'm going to be stressed a LOT this summer. But I also managed to gain weight my last challenge despite my goal being to lose a tiny bit of weight, so...yeah. It has to be done.

Going to start on easy mode: no more than 3 servings of dessert a day, preferably 2 but I'll forgive 3 if I'm really struggling. "Servings" to be determined as I go but that's mostly so I can't like load up an entire plate full of cookies and call it one dessert...because that is, admittedly, something I would actually do. Not kidding y'all, I have a real problem.

This admittedly doesn't help me connect with anyone but it'll make me feel less like a disgusting slob, so that's also good, right?

Quest Three: Be Social

Every day, I need to reach out to folks. Somewhere, somehow. Could be on here. Could be on Instagram (where most of my social media contacts/friends/former students/a few family members are). Could be my infertility support group. Could be chatting to a grad school classmate on Teams, not that that happens very often at all. Could be meeting with my new co-workers and/or new boss to set up stuff for next school year. The only person who doesn't count is my husband, because I rely on him too much and part of the goal here is building more external network. Also I literally chat to him every day already, duh.

(Also, just liking posts doesn't count. I have to actually say something. Should be obvious, but with me you never know.)

Quest Four: Make Something

Yeah, yeah. I said I was going to simplify this challenge. And you believed me? This is simple for me, that's one reason why I fail at so many of these hahaha. What can I say, ranger brain is a real thing. Anyway, this is legitimately a connections thing as well. My son has been waiting very, very patiently for me to finish the shirt I started sewing for him literally months ago, and I also have 2 projects to do in his bedroom (2 book rails and a shoe organizer). I feel AWFUL that he's waited this long, but he hasn't complained even once, and I'd like to prove to him that mommy can indeed come through...at least eventually.

I've also debated making crib quilts for the expected babies, because patchwork is a happy place for me and dammit, I just can't handle shopping for baby things right now with where we are on our infertility journey. (I actually hate the rest of quilting, hahaha, but love making patchwork. Apparently it's genetic, because I have an entire bag full of quilt tops that my great-grandma made the patchwork for and never actually finished turning them into quilts).

Also, I'm convinced that the fastest way to make social headway into a new job is offering some baked goods or other food treats - gives you a reason to stop by a bunch of random desks, it's an easier topic to talk about, and most people are happy to enjoy something homemade they didn't have to actually make. 

There's zero percent chance I'm doing all of that this challenge, so my goal is to make something. Literally one thing. Or very good headway into that thing, if I do a quilt (because those can take quite a long time and my free time is at a real premium until I graduate next May). 

• Like 2

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: KCAleece Starts 2022 With A Bang!

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

21 hours ago, kcaleece said:

And apparently provide gifts for, which no one told me until yesterday but that's a whole other story.

Yeah, babies always require gifts. One of those life truths.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

21 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Yeah, babies always require gifts. One of those life truths.

I wouldn't be upset about this if it wasn't a surprise. With 6 previously born babies in that generation, we've never once brought gifts to the hospital before this, and since this is the 2nd baby for all 3 mamas, they all decided not to do second baby or diaper showers. My oldest sister-in-law, who has three kids, never got anything for her second or third kids except diapers afterwards. So when my mom called and asked what gift I'd bought for 2021 baby #1, who is on the "must visit" list and is being born in less than 2 weeks, I was a bit blindsided. They all know about our losses (I've been pregnant 3 times but only have one living child, with our most recent loss happening just last September) and the 2 who live close by know we're struggling with infertility, so we need forewarning and time to process these sorts of things. Shopping for baby gifts is...really not an easy or welcome thing right now.

20 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Hey there! 

Hello! Welcome back, friend :) I always love seeing you pop up on here, thanks for being awesome!!

So I kinda sorta started the challenge the day I posted this, and then started for real yesterday (to kinda be a bit more fair to myself):

With nice weather yesterday, my husband and I went for a 2.3 mile walk - usually we go for about 3 but my husband is still slowly getting over a stomach bug and he wasn't sure how far away from the house he wanted to be, so we took a shorter circuit.

2.68 miles left to Buckleberry Ferry!

I only ate one dessert yesterday, which I am VERY proud of myself for. It's a little embarrassing how much sugar I eat - yesterday I had my first dessert craving at 9am, no joke - but this is the only way it'll ever get better. 

I had an interesting conversation in my infertility support group about fostering children yesterday (we've always talked about being foster parents after our own biological kids were at least teenagers, but now with our struggles to birth our children in the first place, there's new questions about that plan.)

Made an Instagram post this morning too, I'm debating if that "counts" or not. Part of me says no, I'm not specifically contributing to a conversation, but the other part of me says that I post so rarely (which is true - my most recent post before that one was April 17th) that in a way I am contributing overall just by sharing more. I might go with that interpretation for now since being social is also not something that comes easily to me. 

I started outlining a quilt top because yay patchwork! But I think I really should work on my son's shirt instead...it's been waiting longer and let's be honest, I'm not going to get a quilt done by the time baby #1 is born (planned c-section on May 19th, though if the mom goes into labor any time between now and then, they're not stopping it anymore). And frankly at this point I care more about my own kid.

Unfortunately Thursday is our second busiest night of the week (after Monday) and I wasn't able to get anything done on said shirt yesterday. I'm on the neckline right now and it's needing to be hand sewn because it's too small and fiddly to work well on my absolute bottom-of-the-line sewing machine, which is one major reason said shirt been languishing this long in this first place. Hoping to get some time to work on it tonight though.

• Like 2

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

1 hour ago, kcaleece said:

Shopping for baby gifts is...really not an easy or welcome thing right now.

I hear you. It was not your family's most thoughtful hour.

Or mine, because I didn't communicate the tone right on that one. It was more sort of, "There are three irritating certainties in life: death, taxes, and babies needing gifts."

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I hear you. It was not your family's most thoughtful hour.

Or mine, because I didn't communicate the tone right on that one. It was more sort of, "There are three irritating certainties in life: death, taxes, and babies needing gifts."

No problems, please forgive me for being a bit overly sensitive! Sometimes I have "good days" and can discuss everything very matter-of-factly with no issues, and other days it feels too raw and I can get snippy even when I don't necessarily mean to be. This particular sister-in-law who is having the May baby has actually been the best by FAR for being as sensitive and thoughtful as possible with her pregnancy, which I think was also part of the surprise. I expect this kind of request out of the sister-in-law who's due in July (though with her it'd be a demand - I like her, I actually do, but geez Louise she can be selfish as all get out). Though it was my mom who called, not my sister-in-law...and honestly as far as I know, she may not be expecting anything of me at all, because she has never once even hinted at such a thing when talking to me directly. Still, I think I'll feel equally crappy if I show up to the hospital and am the only one with no gift to give, so I'll figure out something.

2 hours ago, Grizzy said:

I will Ally with you!

Woohoo! The more the merrier - welcome! Glad to have you on board the Alliance :) 

• Like 1

I'm here to support you!  Good luck with all the things.  And don't feel obligated to visit babies at the detriment of your own mental health!! 

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

13 hours ago, Novaurora said:

I'm here to support you!  Good luck with all the things.  And don't feel obligated to visit babies at the detriment of your own mental health!! 

Awww, thank you! I always appreciate support :) We'll see how the baby visiting ends up going - my sister-in-law who is due in May would be the most understanding by far, so that almost makes me more willing to visit, but we'll see how it shakes out. Could be an interesting time with the hospital anyway, seeing as Covid is still a thing and we are currently scheduled to go on a camping trip for the weekend they'll be discharged to go home.

The July sister-in-law and I have a...history with baby visiting. Her first baby was born less than 3 weeks after I buried my own first baby, so I tried to politely back out of visiting them in the hospital. She was so angry about it, she refused to even be in the same room as me for 10 months, to the point where she walked out of her own parents' 50th anniversary party and forced the family to hold 2 separate Christmas celebrations. The only thing that worked was when I finally announced my second pregnancy, and then she decided it was worth more to her to get to play know-it-all mommy (since she'd "gotten further" than I had) than it was to keep holding the grudge. It's (mostly) water under the bridge now, but that selfish streak certainly isn't gone! I'm hoping that the surgery will go well enough that we feel decent making a quick stop at least, even if it's basically just to poke our heads in and call it good. My son absolutely loves playing with her son and another grudge could break his heart if nothing else.

Challenge updates!

We went to the zoo on Saturday and I really meant to start my watch and track how far we went - my son insisted on taking the "Africa" path which is known for being super long compared to the rest of the zoo and difficult for little legs to walk the whole way - but I straight up forgot, so I didn't end up counting any of that distance. But we did get in a 3 mile walk on Sunday, yay! 

Buckleberry Ferry reached on May 9th
2.65 miles left to Crickhollow (because it's ridiculously close to Buckleberry Ferry)

Is it sad that I've already forgotten how many desserts I ate on Saturday? It was definitely not more than 2 though, I was feeling pretty good about that one. And I had like 1.5 yesterday - had a half of a (large) caramel and promised myself I could eat the rest later, then realized it was my brother-in-law's birthday and had cake without ever going back to that other half. Honestly I'm pleasantly surprised I've managed this so far, I typically would have eaten more than that at least once or twice by now.

So I really didn't do this on Saturday unless you count extremely short conversations with strangers at the zoo who I will never see again, which rather defeats the purpose of building connections and alliances. But yesterday I gave in and had dinner with my sister-in-law's family (the one who is due in July) and my mother-in-law. Honestly it did not sound like a great time to me but I figured extended family connection counts for something? And it was okay in the end - not amazing, sure, but reasonably decent.

I pulled out that shirt for my kid and started working on the neckline. It's a V-neck because I didn't want to cut the entire thing on the bias (so it'll stretch properly over his head because he chose a cotton with basically zero stretch in it) but I also didn't know how to make any other stretchy necklines, so...v-neck it is. I got from one shoulder seam down to the middle of the V and damn am I ever glad that my thread matches my fabric so well because it started off pretty well but my stitching got wobbly as I neared the bottom - it's so dang fiddly and tiny! I might try to squeeze in a few minutes tonight between work and my son's "ninja class" (think American Ninja Warrior, but for toddlers) but Mondays are cram packed so I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kcaleece said:

Her first baby was born less than 3 weeks after I buried my own first baby, so I tried to politely back out of visiting them in the hospital. She was so angry about it, she refused to even be in the same room as me for 10 months,

giphy.gif

There are NO WORDS for that except WTF.

• Like 3

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

1 hour ago, Novaurora said:

giphy.gif

Yeah, that's pretty shitty behavior.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Novaurora said:

13 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Yeah, that's pretty shitty behavior.

Yeah. that's what I thought too. But she's the baby of my husband's family by several years and is super spoiled in a lot of ways - it doesn't help that my mother-in-law is clearly part ostrich and has spent her entire life just giving in to anything and everything so she can pretend nothing is wrong (despite usually crying about it later) and strongly prefers pressuring everyone else to give in too because that's easier than confronting the actual problem. So that SIL is extremely used to steamrolling her family and getting little to no resistance. 

Plus I kept on trying to explain myself, thinking I clearly wasn't communicating well enough because why else would anyone be mad at that?, which then turned the conversation into "did KCAleece say anything wrong to validate SIL's anger?" when it should have been "why is SIL being so unreasonable?" My husband, when fully assured no one will overhear, sometimes tells me he hopes SIL's kids are have bratty, selfish streaks too so she can eventually get a taste of her own medicine. 🤷🏻‍♀️ She's actually not bad 90% of the time, it's just that final 10% can be absolutely batshit sometimes.

Not much to report on the challenge, but here it is anyway:

No walks yesterday, though I'm hoping to get in at least a short something today.

I only ate two desserts yesterday but holy crap that was hard. I started getting cravings by like 7:30am, no joke, and ended up eating one of those small bags of potato chips at 3pm because it was the only thing I could think of that both sounded good and could distract me from my desire to park my butt in front of the TV with a giant pile of candy. Are potato chips really nutritionally better? My bet is absolutely not, but it wasn't a sugary dessert and that's apparently the kind of baby step I need in my life right now. 

The director of my grad program actually reached out to me yesterday via e-mail; we chatted a bit about the last class I finished (which she taught) and she said she recognizes how hard this last semester was but she is "beginning to expect and anticipate [my] incisive comments and interpretations more and more" and that my final project from spring semester included "new insights [she had] never seen before. They are great points - this is [my] contribution to the literature!" She also wants permission to save some of my papers to use in future classes! So I'm feeling pretty great about that :) 

Got nowhere at all yesterday; we'll see what I might be able to get done today.

17 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Way to go in reining in the sugar monster!

Thank you! It certainly doesn't feel like I'm succeeding - I was joking with my husband last night about going through sugar withdrawal and then he googled it and apparently that's really a thing? Like obviously not on the level of real addictions, but I guess it makes some sense that changing the quantity of any chemical in the body could provoke a reaction. And it feels extra ridiculous that I'm dealing with this while still allowing myself 2 desserts a day! But overeating sweets has been something I've done since literally elementary school. I grew up in a house where my parents routinely would fill a bowl with candy and call it their "dinner" (no joke), and there were basically never any family meals after I was in 4th grade - it became a free for all, eat whatever we have in whatever quantities you want. And of course there was no shortage of sweets because that's what everyone was eating.

Now at 34...well, our own family sit-down meals usually are decent-to-very-good, but that's because I'm relying on things like "(my triathlete husband) needs to approve" or "(my own son) needs a better leg up on nutrition than what I had". When I'm only feeding myself and don't feel duty-bound to anyone else...oh boy. I have yet to call any bowls of candy my dinner, but I've come closer than I want to admit. Progress has been made, but it's like weight loss - it took time to get to where I am, so I'm trying to remind myself that it's okay to take time to get back out of this habit.

Challenge updates:

No walks yesterday due to a mix-up with my follicle scan (long story short, the fertility doctor was trying to fit in one more treatment cycle before the surgery but my ovaries aren't cooperating in the exact way we need them to, despite the doctor originally thinking they were because he missed another piece of information that was on my chart but didn't copy over to my scans due to a computer error). That ended up taking about an hour to sort out and then my window of opportunity was gone. Maybe today?

I only ate two desserts yesterday, yay! At one point I was literally standing over the sink eating a leftover fast food cookie, thinking to myself, "is this really what I want to 'spend' my dessert allowance on? There are far better tasting things that would satisfy me more. Am I really doing this?" ...and then I kept on eating the cookie, almost like I was watching someone else eat it. So weird. I was also being grumpy for absolutely no reason and had a bit of a headache, but that could have been attributable to a lot of things, so I won't blame sugar for those quite yet.

I chatted with my infertility group - yesterday was more of a "share my experience to support someone else" type of day but that's just as important for building connections of course! Don't want to be a moocher who only demands support and never gives it (which is another reason I need to up my participation on here...). I also chatted with an infertility nurse for a short while about how to make plans for after the surgery; she couldn't give me a ton of information yet, of course, but she gave me some more of the framework we'll need to determine timeline for healing so every bit helps.

Well I ended up not getting anywhere yesterday either (see note under quest one for primary details). My secondary time for this is theoretically after my son goes to sleep, but I ended up falling asleep on his floor before he did so that didn't work out super well either lol. 

• Like 1

Don't sell yourself short.  You are learning all new habits from ones you grew up with. It takes a lot of willpower to retrain your brain and body to want something besides sugar. Every time you make a choice for something else it is a win. I hear you on eating the junk food and wondering why you are eating it but not stopping. That's the worst, because then you aren't even enjoying it. I'm really working at  not doing that. I'm trying to decide to eat it and enjoy it, or just not eat it. I still have those times though. One thing that helps is when I want an extra snack is to to delay it.Even a few minutes helps. I can still choose to have it if I want it, but just that bit of delay does help me to make an actual decision

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 5/12/2021 at 9:47 PM, Elastigirl said:

Don't sell yourself short.  You are learning all new habits from ones you grew up with. It takes a lot of willpower to retrain your brain and body to want something besides sugar. Every time you make a choice for something else it is a win. I hear you on eating the junk food and wondering why you are eating it but not stopping. That's the worst, because then you aren't even enjoying it. I'm really working at  not doing that. I'm trying to decide to eat it and enjoy it, or just not eat it. I still have those times though. One thing that helps is when I want an extra snack is to to delay it.Even a few minutes helps. I can still choose to have it if I want it, but just that bit of delay does help me to make an actual decision

Thanks for the tip! I will have to try adding that into my arsenal of coping strategies. I've done that with less-than-healthy meal choices before (a favorite being fish and chips - if I get a strong fish and chips craving, I usually make myself wait at least a day and if I still want it tomorrow at dinner time, then it's fair game) but I haven't tried it with desserts. Of course, I probably can't start at a delay of a whole day! But even a short while might help me control myself a bit better.

So it has turned out to be a rough week...Wednesday afternoon I got sent home from work with a 24 hour stomach bug. It had been making its way through the family, but apparently has a very slow incubation period because it hit my son on May 1st, my husband on May 7th, and me on May 13th. So that took me out until last night, when I finally got a reasonably standard dinner to stay in my belly. Because of that, there's not a ton to report:

No walks, but I'm hoping to fit one in today - I have a decent window between when I pick up my son from preschool and my husband is getting home from work (he's a senior advisor, so graduation events are starting to hit his schedule). I think a walk would be a great use of that time! Hopefully the little one agrees...he'll want to watch TV but I think I can convince him to walk with me pretty easily.

Good news about a stomach bug - I only ate 1 dessert on Wednesday and Thursday! Not counting that as a "full" victory since it was because I literally couldn't stomach it, but still.

I've been talking to my infertility group each day as I shared the news of our failed attempt at treatment this cycle and also chatted about how I got my isthmocele diagnosis in the first place (a lot of women want to know about that because it's difficult to get diagnosed, so a lot of doctors skip over it or they straight up don't know about it either. You really have to be your own best advocate for these things most of the time!)

Nothing yet, hopefully I'll make great progress over the weekend! 

• Like 1

Well, I fell short in some ways over the weekend, but had a pretty good one in others. Bad sleep led to a rougher-than-expected Saturday, and then yesterday we took our son to see his first professional soccer game! Sporting KC, for those of you who didn't know the KC in my username is for my hometown of Kansas City 😁 It was especially sweet because my husband and I met somewhat randomly at one of their home games a little more than 8 years ago (we didn't know we were going to be meeting each other or that the other person even existed, but we were both there for the same teachers group). It was rainy and way too loud for the little one at first, but once pregame music ended and the rain dried up, he had a great time! Such a good time, in fact, that he threw a small fit this morning when he was told that he can't go to another game today because there isn't one and we wouldn't have time or tickets anyway 🤣

Official challenge update:

Just one walk on Friday (I meant to track our walk to and from the stadium yesterday, but just like our zoo trip, I completely forgot until it was too late), and it was only a mile because my kid was having a rough go of it. But still! Every mile counts!

1.65 miles left to Crickhollow

You guys. I am SO proud of me. Since my last post I only had 4 desserts total! 2 on Friday and 1 each on Saturday and Sunday. The cravings are starting to hit later in the day too, which is a big help. I mean, they're still there, but are hitting closer to lunch time instead of 7-9am like they were before. Granted, I eat lunch a little early because of my work schedule, but nothing ridiculous (around 11). Maybe my body's starting to adjust a little bit?

Let's see...Friday was an infertility group day.

Saturday, I met up with the mom of one of my son's friends to chat about their move/summer setup (they used to live here but moved away for years and just came back a few months ago, but they also moved out to a rural area so they're still doing things like clearing fields) and also about their summer soccer season plans. Their kid might sit out this season but she thinks he'll join back up in the fall even if he does sit out summer. They still have until the end of this week to decide about the summer league though, so we'll see. And the boys are also in ninja class together, so they'll still see each other regularly either way.

Then yesterday was that Sporting game with some (different) teacher friends plus an Instagram post for my extended family to see. Also my husband made a very similar Facebook post for his extended family to see too (and his caption was so much cuter than mine, I had to edit mine and steal some of his wording hahaha).

Very little progress. I ended up spending a vast majority of my scheduled work time on Saturday napping because of the previously alluded to sleep issues I had Friday night, and Sunday was mostly taken up by that soccer game. I did technically make some progress, but so little that it might as well be none.

I am cheating (kinda sorta) on the next round of baby gifts I expect to need this week. My son needed shorts so I went to the store and ended up throwing in a cute little teether/rattle toy that was in a checkout line display because that seemed like the easiest solution. Also I was clearing out a bit of space in my sewing room and found a baby quilt I made for a local charity last year, but that ended up being a mess so I still have it (I made it right before lockdown hit, but then they stopped collecting donations because no one was sure if covid could spread on surfaces or not, and then when they re-opened for donations they got such a flood of baby blankets and quilts that people were making to stay busy that they've been asking people to please stop donating them because they have way too many now). It's not my favorite pattern in the world, but it's cute and girly, which is exactly what my sister-in-law wants, so...voila! Baby gift complete! And just in time - if she doesn't go into labor today or tomorrow, they're doing a c-section on Wednesday. Still not sure about visiting policy but I figure it's better to have the gift prepared and if it ends up sitting on a shelf for a while, it sits for a while, no harm done.

So I didn't end up hitting every single one of my goals for yesterday, but I did reasonably well and am pleased with some of the progress I get to report today!

I got home a bit early yesterday and went for a 3 mile walk by myself. Accidentally freaked out my husband, because he came home and didn't see my note and was worried about where the heck I was, but he ended up going out for a run as well and we actually ran into each other on the sidewalk a few blocks away from the house!

Crickhollow reached on May 17th

20.65 miles left to Old Man Willow

I only had one dessert again yesterday too! Right after work I got super sleepy and have also noticed that's a prime "eat out of relief the day is done" time frame. So habit due to time + sleepiness = eating some of the M&M stash in my desk. But holy bejesus, I don't think I've ever had a single desk stash last this long before - I've had that bag of M&Ms in there since April 28th and while it's a large bag (10.7 ounces), the fact that there is anything in there at all on May 18th is a minor miracle. Put it this way, when I bought it, I was planning on trying to "stretch it" to last an entire week!! 

Also I got out some dessert for after dinner but due to a sleepy toddler acting out, never ended up eating it and then just put it away because I was too tired to eat it right before bed.

Yesterday I had some very minor interaction with my sister-in-law (the one due in July, not the one due tomorrow). But I also finally got in some replies to folks on this forum too! I like to try to find folks who have very few replies, because I know incredibly well how that one goes, but also because the very popular threads kinda scare me hahaha.

Nothing to report again. I had plans to fit in a few minutes' worth of work, then I just plain didn't do it. Oops? Hoping to have more to tell you after tonight.

Yesterday ended up looking one heck of a lot like the day before it...at least that was a good day overall?

I decided to go for a walk when I got home again since I have an eye doctor appointment after work (and therefore won't have time today). I tried a slight variation on my normal 3 mile route, thinking it would be a little bit longer...I guess I technically wasn't wrong, but my watch says it was only 3.03 miles, hahaha. Probably not worth the difference. I want to find a slightly longer route but will have to pull up a map because that section of the neighborhood can be difficult to navigate and I don't feel like getting lost.

17.62 miles left to Old Man Willow

Literally the exact same thing happened: some sugar from the desk stash (because of timing habit + sleepiness) for serving #1, and I got out dessert for serving #2 and then ended up sleeping on the toddler's floor without eating it.

I had to drive my sister-in-law to and from work yesterday, so that was kinda fun if tiring (it was nice to have someone to chat with during the commute, but it added quite a bit of time and forced me to wake up substantially earlier as well). I also spent some time meeting some of our neighbors - their kids wanted to play with my kid, who was being extremely shy and clingy, so I had to stay and try to pretend I wasn't exhausted and habitually asocial. Honestly, I don't blame my kid...he had an evening planned out already and they were being loud and overwhelming. But we've lived here for 3 years now and he's never played with the neighborhood kids (partly due to age and partly because I super don't approve of the lack of parental supervision happening...) so I thought it was worth it to at least not immediately come off as asocial as I am now that they're trying to include my son.

Nothing to report

Eye doctor appointment yesterday + predicted birth happening = I didn't do a heck of a lot.

No walks yesterday - I spent most of that time at the eye doctor, then spent the rest of that time feeling sorry for myself for being infertile

Was fully planning to blow this one yesterday, I will freely admit, but I only ended up with 1 dessert again.

What stopped me? The long drives between work, the eye doctor, and home (and literally not having any food with me on said drives). Eating a bag of popcorn at work and a bowl of potato chips when I got home instead of desserts. Once again being too tired to eat the second dessert I left on the counter while putting my night owl son to bed. The fact that my husband was irritated at all the same things I was, even the stupid detail ones, which made us both feel a little less alone. Distracting myself by shopping for and buying a pair of shoes on Poshmark because I own the exact same pair in a different color and they're the comfiest high heels ever made, I swear.

And also not wanting to completely destroy what I've worked my way up to, honestly - even when I'd mentally decided that eating as much dessert as I wanted and could get my hands on was going to be an option, a small part of me was sad and worried I'd lose some ground that I've gained, like the cravings starting to fade away (I can usually get to about noon now, which isn't much different than before but it's definitely something!) I won't go so far as to claim that thought did a ton to stop me, but it did exist, which felt worthy of a mention.

I'm counting the fact that I participated in the family group chat about the birth. That was everything I had in me, quite honestly.

Also I learned that due to covid visitor restrictions, our original plan of meeting the baby isn't going to work and we're almost certainly going to have to wait until at least the 26th, if not Memorial Day weekend (last weekend in May, for any non-American readers). We will meet the baby this month, but a little bit of a mental fortitude break isn't unwelcome at this stage. I thought I was prepared, and then it hit me harder than expected (though to be fair, it ended up being really bad timing because a close friend who didn't know about the c-section date also announced her pregnancy on the same day - I could probably have handled both if they were one at a time but not together).

Nothing to report

• Like 2

Still not a heck of a lot to report, but I am strongly back on the upswing after the mental and emotional hit that was May 19th:

No walks yesterday

Got like...1 and a half yesterday? I technically had a dessert item 3 times, but they were all super small (like the first was just a single starburst) so I figure in terms of servings, I probably had like 1 or 1.5, definitely not more than 2.

Lots of interaction with my infertility support group, both (controlled, I promise) ranting to get my own emotions out as well as helping others with their questions/trying to show support for their emotions and decisions.

Nothing to report here either

• Like 1

Ugh I hate getting behind on posts because it starts getting hard for me to remember what happened each day...

One walk this weekend for 3.02 miles, even though the toddler started whining about being tired about half a mile in - proud of him for sticking it out! Yes, of course we bring his stroller, but try to encourage him not to spend much time in it. He did a lot of in-and-out on this particular walk, but we could often get him to keep walking for a bit by setting landmarks for him - "oh, surely you can walk to that stop sign! Now, what about that tree?" etc. etc.

14.6 miles left to Old Man Willow

Saturday and Sunday I only had dessert once but it was big (my mom brought over a pie and I'm pretty sure my husband is physically incapable of eating pie without ice cream) so I'm counting them both as 2 serving days. Noticed last night that the later night craving is starting to hit harder, almost like my body's just saving up all the craving it would be doing during the day and then hitting me with it all at once around 10pm? Hopefully if I keep pushing through it, I'll be able to manage that one just like my early morning cravings (which have largely gone! WOOHOO!!)

Mostly the same three I've been hitting: infertility support group, my own extended family (my parents came over on Saturday to help with the ongoing dining room project) and my husband's family (my mother-in-law came over on Sunday for dinner and to play with our kid for a bit)

Nothing to report on the shirt, but I got a lot done this weekend on our dining room, so that counts at least a little? I did buy the stain for my kid's bedroom book rails while I was at the hardware store getting other stuff for the dining room - this Saturday we installed the curtains, put up what turned out to be a ridiculously complicated display for my coffee mug collection (it looks really cool though now that it's done!!) and also fixed a few odds and ends like a lightbulb that had gone out, a screw that was popping too far out of a shelf, etc. All we have left to do in there is clean out the bookshelf, clear and make a nice display on the "new" (to us) buffet, hang one more picture, and recover the chair seats...

I also planted a bit this weekend - got in some lily bulbs my husband bought on accident (lol it really was an accident but that's okay, they're pretty and hopefully we're still early enough to get them to sprout) and some hosta roots I bought to replace one of those awful climbing plants that eats into your foundation. Not sure what plant that was, honestly, but I'm so glad to get rid of that thing!

• Like 1