Juliebarkley boxes up her life

25 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

How are they going about this? It does not seem to be like it was in France, where the third republic was actively trying to wipe out their minority languages, even beating schoolchildren for speaking their native language on the playground right up into the mid-20th century. What does this standardization look like for minority language speakers in China?

It is very different than that for the most part.  People speak their native dialect at home and then Mandarin the school and work place.  Most people here are "bilingual" in that sense as Mandarin is not native to any location.   There is an active effort to support this status quo as TV often has programs in various local dialects and for movies and national TV they just add subtitles when people speak a difficult dialect.  I think most people can also understand Cantonese just because of all the media (music, film and TV) that comes out of Hong Kong.

I don't know if this same thing extends to all minorities (such as the Uighurs) but for the most part this is the case.

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

It is very different than that for the most part.  People speak their native dialect at home and then Mandarin the school and work place.  Most people here are "bilingual" in that sense as Mandarin is not native to any location.   There is an active effort to support this status quo as TV often has programs in various local dialects and for movies and national TV they just add subtitles when people speak a difficult dialect.  I think most people can also understand Cantonese just because of all the media (music, film and TV) that comes out of Hong Kong.

I don't know if this same thing extends to all minorities (such as the Uighurs) but for the most part this is the case.

So like an official language that might be a second language for some, but with (for the most part) no efforts to suppress existing languages and support (or at least toleration) for their media? Sounds pretty good to me. Much better than a lot of places.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The upstairs living area is done! I found a cache of craft materials in the closet, which brings the combined craft stash to the equivalent of 13 rough totes. I think we need an intervention. Now there are just the two bathrooms, the bedrooms, the kitchen, the entryway, and the laundry room left. And the sheds. But let's not speak of the sheds.

• Like 6

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38 

Two new rooms completed: a bathroom and a bedroom. Neither was too onerous because a lot of the stuff was already gathered in logical ways, but we did find some odd things: the bag (just the bag) for a laptop cooling mat, a large fur rug(?) that I have never seen before, a Christmas stocking full of water beads, and all of my brother's tips from his years working fast food. I needed a second pair of arms to move that last box. I think it weighed almost as much as I do.

It has been quite hot today. I was fine while outside, but whenever I am indoors, I get a headache similar to a dehydration headache, no matter what I drink. Even the little bit of shifting we did left me nauseated, bleah. Ah well, it will be a good chance to get some computer work and a bit of hand sewing done. Don't let an excuse to sit on the couch and not move go to waste! ;)

• Like 6

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38 

Second bathroom done (we moved one single screwdriver - the owner of said bathroom would have flipped out if we'd moved more, but at least it's all bathroom/cleaning-related clutter), second bedroom done, kitchen and laundry room both half-done. One bedroom still to go. One more day should do it for the sorting. And then the Great Purging begins. 😳

We are going to try to get an appointment to see the house that we were interested in (it was pulled off the market because the closing date was going to be moved up to October at the earliest, not because they aren't selling any more). Fingers crossed! According to the listing, it has bedrooms in the basement, which is a normally a hard pass for me, but they also have full-size, normal-looking windows, so maybe it's kind of built into a hill or something. I'd be okay with that. But the only way to find out for sure is to visit.

I also got myself on a few pharmacy waitlists, so I'm actually in the system for some kind of Covid shot. Between the high levels of demand, spotty supply, and poor distribution and booking management, I'm not sure when I'll get a call, and then second shot is sixteen weeks after that. Hopefully it will be all done before 2022.

My book has two chapters to get interesting or I'm returning it unfinished. This is very much a case where I do not follow my own advice, and I'd like to. I want to train myself to save my reading time for good stuff and be okay with ditching a book half-done.

That's it for today.

• Like 6

You know what's a really great way to get work done? An unexpected nine-hour power outage! With no internet to distract me, I was able to force myself to do work I've been procrastinating on, finished sorting all of the rooms (but not the sheds), and started the purging. And got in some reading to boot. The only downside was that there was no way to cook and limited running water (only what was in the toilet tanks and pipes). I thought the outage was due to the weather - it was quite windy and they were predicting thunderstorms, which often causes short outages for us - but it turns out farm equipment hit a hydro pole about 2km from me and knocked out power for about 6500 people. It could still be unstable, so this is my post for today. :)

• Like 6

On 5/23/2021 at 10:09 PM, Kishi said:

I just want you to know that I am absolutely living vicariously through your tales of cleaning, and I cheer at every bit of news on that front. Nicely done. :)

Thanks for the cheers! It's purging time now, which was really the goal of the whole thing. It's kind of exciting, but also much harder mentally. I'm not a natural hoarder, but also not a natural purger. My son is great at it though, so he is keeping me honest about my stuff. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today we embarked upon our first really big category: bathroom stuff. Just the bottles and tubes and stuff; the linens will be for another day. Even without the linens, this was about four overflowing Rough Totes of stuff: medicine, hair care, dental, eyeglasses, makeup, soap, you get the idea. It took more than an hour just to separate it into reasonably coherent groupings, and we are still not done going through them and have given up for the evening, so half the living room is still awash in bottles. There was enough stuff at the beginning that it actually spread outside of the living room as well. We are done hair care, soap, medicine, and makeup. Fingers crossed the remaining stuff won't be as fiddly and annoying as the medicine was. We checked everything for expiry dates, and almost everything is expired, as I suspected since we rarely use our medicines, but I chucked anything that was expired by more than ten years because that's just too long. There were a few that I recognized from my childhood, so really they needed to go. We did find one bottle of Absorbine Jr. which my mom insisted on keeping but which looked really old and suspicious to me and my son. It has no date on it, so we Googled it out of curiosity. It was made in 1972, and the empty bottles are now selling as retro items on eBay for $30-$50. 😳So we have retro medicine in our medicine stash.

Our donation pile is expanding. We found a bunch of toiletries in sample sizes today that should be useful at a women's shelter. And plenty of unused shampoo/hair spray/etc. that can hopefully be rehomed. Don't let me buy any more soap though. I have used it to build a small wall in the back of the cabinet.

Although the house we are interested in is off the market, we managed to get a viewing on Thursday. I am excited, but also nervous and a little sad. It will be neat to live where you can walk everywhere (the town is only about 5000 people, but it really does have almost everything you need), but I do like it here. It's private, even on walks, and safe even in the small hours of the morning. It is quiet and close to nature. The people who live here have mostly lived here for decades. I know just where the plant communities shift, where the animal trails run. It feels like a secret, special place. But it is not so far away from the new town and this place will still be here. I can visit. And I will find things that will bond me to a new place, too. It will just take time.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, juliebarkley said:

Our donation pile is expanding. We found a bunch of toiletries in sample sizes today that should be useful at a women's shelter. And plenty of unused shampoo/hair spray/etc. that can hopefully be rehomed. Don't let me buy any more soap though. I have used it to build a small wall in the back of the cabinet.

Women's shelters are always short on things like these. They will most likely also be grateful for any clothes you find to donate, and possibly also towels, bed linens, and other household stuff. Women who feel a bad home situation hardly ever have a chance to being anything with them, and neither do their children.

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

16 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Women's shelters are always short on things like these. They will most likely also be grateful for any clothes you find to donate, and possibly also towels, bed linens, and other household stuff. Women who feel a bad home situation hardly ever have a chance to being anything with them, and neither do their children.

I'll keep that in mind. Towels and bed linen we may have soon enough. I don't wear super common clothing sizes, so I would call the shelter and see what they need before bringing them clothes. They probably have limited storage space, so no use filling it with things they don't need. All the shops that take donations are not taking them right now, so we have a little time to build up a stash for them if their needs and our surplus overlap.

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

That's crazy! But hey sometimes hoarding pays off. ;) 

It's not the first time. We found a tamagotchi in original packaging that sold for $50 odd dollars a while back, and some little Flipsider games that sold for between $50-$100. Nostalgia pays.

• Like 2

We finished the bathroom supplies! It took forever to get through them and I'm mentally quite tired now, but one big category done; hooray! It is nice to have a little space in the cupboards and drawers so you can find things. I'll get it all cleaned up tonight - trash put out, everything put away nicely - and then pick the next category. A small one this time. Maybe we'll play a game in the try pile and make a decision about it too. That really is the funnest category. :)

• Like 7

3 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

We finished the bathroom supplies! It took forever to get through them and I'm mentally quite tired now, but one big category done; hooray! It is nice to have a little space in the cupboards and drawers so you can find things. I'll get it all cleaned up tonight - trash put out, everything put away nicely - and then pick the next category. A small one this time. Maybe we'll play a game in the try pile and make a decision about it too. That really is the funnest category. :)

Nice that you got that big chunk done and dusted! Must be satisfying. And it's very nice that you found some people who can benefit from the supplies.

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

23 hours ago, Harriet said:

Nice that you got that big chunk done and dusted! Must be satisfying. And it's very nice that you found some people who can benefit from the supplies.

It is! And it is so nice to be able to look in the cupboard and see what all is there without moving anything around. I do hope that the things that we get rid of (that are half-decent) will end up with people who can use them. Luckily, our area has a very efficient side-of-the-road recycling system. We put out an old filing cabinet (that didn't even open properly) a few weeks ago, and it disappeared in less than an hour. Probably for scrap, but hey, if someone can make a living keeping things out of landfill, more power to them.

--------------------------------------------------

I had a last-minute recording job that I had to do when I got home from work, so all I did for sorting today was go through and put away a small personal category in which nothing was actually gotten rid of. And started a puzzle. If we have time, we'd like to do all the puzzles we're not sure about because a) they were all bought used and so could be missing pieces; and b) because it can be very hard to tell which puzzles are going to be annoying rather than fun just by looking at the picture. The fun ones we are happy to do over and over again; we are not one-and-done puzzle people.

Tomorrow is the house viewing!

And a random question for your consideration. I have a soap dish that I really like in the bathroom. It is shaped a bit like a claw-foot bathtub, so it can't be kept on the side of the bath because it would scratch it up or fall off. But the only place I use bar soap is in the shower. So it is sitting on the counter looking all pretty, but it is empty. What could I use it for, if not bar soap?

• Like 4

12 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

And a random question for your consideration. I have a soap dish that I really like in the bathroom. It is shaped a bit like a claw-foot bathtub, so it can't be kept on the side of the bath because it would scratch it up or fall off. But the only place I use bar soap is in the shower. So it is sitting on the counter looking all pretty, but it is empty. What could I use it for, if not bar soap?

Well, I would use it as a palette of sorts for mixing foundation into moisturizer, or liquid highlight into a foundation, or some such, but I've gotten the impression that doesn't apply to your day-to-day life.....  Maybe as storage for tiny items that otherwise would get lost, like hair pins, or paper clips?

Don't assume that just because whoever made it and sold it called it a soap dish, it has to stay in your bathroom. The possibilities are endless once you move it out into the rest of the house.  🙂

ETA: It might work very well for holding a tea bag when your tea is done brewing, I just realized. Hmmm.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

13 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Don't assume that just because whoever made it and sold it called it a soap dish, it has to stay in your bathroom. The possibilities are endless once you move it out into the rest of the house.  🙂

A good point. Hmm. Yes, makeup mixing is not for me. :D It's white glass too, so I don't want to risk staining it. I am leaning towards keeping it in the bathroom because it just has that vibe, but I will bear in mind that it may be lovely elsewhere. For instance, I have a collection of small nature items (feathers, stones, driftwood, bones) that might look nice displayed in it, and it could change with the seasons. 🤔

-------------------------------------------------------------

We made it to the viewing today and had a good look around. The pictures did not lie; the basement had full-sized windows that come right down to waist height, so it is only half underground. The windows are on the south side and open fully, so there it is well-lit and well-ventilated and just doesn't feel much like a basement at all. This makes me feel a whole lot better about radon and damp/mould issues with a bedroom down there (though I would still make sure to get a radon detector). My son will not stop talking about the basement and has already claimed it for his own (it has its own little kitchen and with a small amount of renovation could be a fully independent apartment). The rest of the house is quite lovely too. There are lots of shops within easy walking distance, and there is a boat launch and really lovely area of river literally right around the corner. Like, two people could probably carry the canoe down the road pretty easily, if we couldn't persuade the neighbour to let us cross through their property (there is no barrier at the back, and they have a canoe of their own, so maybe they'd be down with that). The whole downtown area is only about 1km square, and even the furthest attractions, like the big box stores and forest trails, are only about a 2km walk away. For perspective, 2km is currently a round-trip walk to pick up my mail, and the nearest town is a 5km walk one-way. We saw lots of pedestrians on our short little exploration, again a testament to the town's walkability.

So we are feeling very good about this house. It's not scheduled to go back on the market till July 15, but the realtor is encouraging us to consider making an offer now, because it would mean avoiding competition and a potential bidding war, especially because it really does tick all of our boxes and 80-90% of the homes coming up for sale in that area are in the newer, more car-dependent developments. So fingers crossed on this house!

The realtor also came by our house, both to have a look around and because we have a paddleboat that she is interested in buying. She didn't end up looking at the paddleboat, because as we walked through the house she kept spotting other things she was interested in buying, until she realized she had to run for another viewing. We sold her a bunch of board games, a dart board, maybe some toys next time, and some of our donations might go her way as well. She has recently moved and is kitting out a riverside house, but also occasionally buys things for former clients and for her main job at a mental health care centre for people found not criminally responsible in court. The clients often have very little to their names, and the therapy centre uses a lot of art supplies, board games, and things like that to entertain the clients. So there's another potential outlet for donations. She'll be coming back later to help us figure out a good price (she reckons the house will sell fast, and I think she's right) and to, you know, actually check out the paddleboat.

After that, we sat down for a bit to talk out our thoughts about the house stuff and to work on the puzzle we started yesterday. Then we sorted through our candle/flashlight/air freshener/wax melt category. This was a pretty good one for getting rid of stuff; we got rid of almost half of it. I feel bad about just throwing out half-burned candles though, so rather than throwing them out, I am planning for the next month to be a candle-burning EXTRAVAGANZA! (I love candles.) I may do jewellery or coats or some other small category that only requires my input before bed, because if everything goes well, we are going to need to get a move on with the purging and packing!

So that was my day. It's all been very exciting. :)

• Like 6

On 5/25/2021 at 12:47 PM, juliebarkley said:

It was made in 1972

Good gravy, that medicine is older than I am :) 

11 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

The whole downtown area is only about 1km square

This is utterly incomprehensible to me

11 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

For perspective, 2km is currently a round-trip walk to pick up my mail

Ad this even more so.  I just cannot imagine what t would be like to live that way.

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

10 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This is utterly incomprehensible to me

Well it's no Beijing, but it's got three grocery stores, book stores, a library, clothing stores, restaurants of all kinds, parks, a hospital, a yoga studio, three gyms including a Crossfit one, a music festival, etc. etc. in its teeny tiny self. Really all the things you need for the day to day. Most other stuff you can easily either order on the internet or, if it's an experience like a concert or museum or something, make a day trip of it.

10 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Ad this even more so.  I just cannot imagine what t would be like to live that way.

It's nice, just different. I can't imagine how it would be to never be able to go out without being surrounded by people all the time, with few places to escape and be truly alone except your own house. Madness.

I have a theory that most people live a little more "that way" than it at first appears, because there is a practical limit to how big of an area of any city you really make use of. The bigger the city you live in, the less likely you are to visit the parts that are far away from you. They are, in terms of your everyday life, not part of "your" city. You will have a neighbourhood where you do most of your walking or shopping or or socializing or whatever and that functions as your personal village, and this overlaps with other neighbourhoods so that the city is sort of a network of linked "villages". Of course, your "village" is way more densely populated and built up than mine, but the point is that you may live in a city of tens of millions, but you will only ever interact with a small portion of that, and an even smaller portion 90+% of the time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today we hit the CDs, DVDs, and video games (and their associated systems). We discovered that we have games for every pre-WiiU Nintendo system except the Super Nintendo, but we no longer have a NES or a working GameBoy (but apparently those are very repairable, so my son is going to give it a go). So basically we have a Wii, DS, and Nintendo 64, and can therefore play Wii, 64, GameCube, DS, and GameBoy Advance games. The Nintendo, Game Boy, and 3DS games are currently orphaned. I mostly play the older games by emulation anyway, so the originals will likely end up for sale. Based on today's research, we are in a sweet spot for GameCube in particular, with most games selling for $50-$70. And we have the manuals for a lot of the other games, so hopefully they will make someone very happy. We did throw a lot of stuff into the "try" pile today though, so we are going to have to work out some sort of system for dealing with those. Fortunately, I think the only remaining categories that will generate "try" items are computer games/accessories and puzzles (jigsaw and otherwise), so fingers crossed it stays a manageable size.

We're putting in an offer on the house we saw yesterday, but we got a call today that they want to push back the closing date due to construction delays (isn't construction always delays? it feels like it). It's hardly the end of the world, but it would mean moving in winter, which yuck. We're still going to keep up the sorting and packing regardless, because it will need to be done anyway, and who knows what will happen this summer? It'll be good both practically and psychologically to get it out of the way as much as possible. No looming deadlines. :)

Sorry for the rambling update! Now for a little toy sorting, some cat cuddles, and bed.

• Like 5

Ooooh the house sounds great! Fingers crossed that it will be available before winter. :) (And, as someone who has moved during winter and summer... I find while it's a bit annoying with jackets and stuff, moving in winter - as long as it doesn't snow too much - is much preferrable to moving in summer when it's super hot and everything feels much heavier that it actually is... :D Maybe you are lucky and get to move in autumn? :D ) 

And nice for finding all the Video Game treasures, I bet that was quite the trip down memory lane... :)

• Like 1

Previous challenges: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

9 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Ooooh the house sounds great! Fingers crossed that it will be available before winter. :) (And, as someone who has moved during winter and summer... I find while it's a bit annoying with jackets and stuff, moving in winter - as long as it doesn't snow too much - is much preferrable to moving in summer when it's super hot and everything feels much heavier that it actually is... :D Maybe you are lucky and get to move in autumn? :D ) 

And nice for finding all the Video Game treasures, I bet that was quite the trip down memory lane... :)

Looks like the house situation got a bit more complicated. More below.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The realtor came for a visit today to put an offer together. It is going to be a bit of an unusual offer. The people in the house we are bidding on have moved their preferred closing date again, to the middle of January. It could well move forward again, given how builders here operate. We're hoping this gives us a card to play in the negotiations. Rentals in this area, even right in the city, are in very short supply - there were bidding wars for rentals pre-pandemic - so no one wants to move without having secured a place to move into. However, the realtor also has a house that she rents out, but since she wants to sell it next year, she only wants to rent month to month. So, she is offering for us to move into that house around the end of July, which would mean that we could list and sell our present house in its most attractive season, without a closing date eight months in the future, and we can offer to be flexible on the closing date so that they don't have to worry if it gets moved again. Then we would rent a pod that could live at that house, while we take only the essentials to the rental house. It would mean moving twice in a short span of time, but short-term pain for long-term gain.

And, if accepted, it would mean that our move-out date is now only two months away.

• Like 6

We started doing the outdoor toys/sports equipment at noonish and we finished after 8pm. All of the big categories have been following the same pattern:

1. I know I have a lot of stuff;

2. I knew I had a lot, but this is more than I thought;

3. How is there still more?!

4. Please tell me that's everything. Oh good. *looks at stuff* Oh my.

This category was punctuated with location research (ex. "Cross-country skis - better check if there are ski trails there."). This was the first category with relatively large amounts of literal trash, and there is lots in the sale and giveaway piles too.

We gave some foam letters and stickers to the realtor for her not criminally responsible patients, and she just wouldn't stop talking about how excited they would be for these (some of them get stickers when they do their daily todos, and they also give them out as bingo prizes). She was so enthused that she almost forgot her phone and glasses on the way out the door. Definitely going to look for toiletries, toys, and stuffed animals that we could send their way. The patients haven't been taken on their shopping trips to the dollar store or anywhere else (a treat they must earn) since the start of the pandemic, their funding is always at risk of being cut, and they probably don't get thought of much when people are handing out donations.

More sorting tonight. We're almost done toys. This is all mentally tiring, but I'm glad it's getting done. We are trying to pack as we go as well (but not taping up the boxes), so that should save some time later.

Imma shower now. A lot of mouse poop and other dirt fell on me today.

• Like 5

Good Lord! Sounds like a complicated moving situation to get what you want. But I'm struck by your realtor's willingness to work with you. Admittedly, it sounds like they benefit more from the arrangement, but if you're willing to consent to that then you could gain pretty bigly. Assuming that this house in this town is what you want and what you ultimately decide to go after.

I hope it works out!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Kishi said:

Good Lord! Sounds like a complicated moving situation to get what you want. But I'm struck by your realtor's willingness to work with you. Admittedly, it sounds like they benefit more from the arrangement, but if you're willing to consent to that then you could gain pretty bigly. Assuming that this house in this town is what you want and what you ultimately decide to go after.

I hope it works out!

Our realtor gets a commission AND a rental out of the deal; pretty good for her! This house is pretty much exactly what we were looking for in a perfect location, so we're willing to put up with a little inconvenience. It is a pretty weird buying situation for us, it's true, but selling a house with a closing date eight months out is pretty odd too! It will work out though if we can take advantage of the crazy hot market right now, because we are likely trading down pricewise, so we keep the difference, and we don't have to worry about fighting bidding wars with other buyers. :) Seriously, in the nearest town, 3 beds that were selling slowly for $375,000 last year are now listing for $600,000-$700,000 and selling over that with multiple bids. My neighbour sold a one-bedroom waterfront house for over $600,000. It's madness. So since we were going to move soon anyway, why not go with the madness while we can?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today we did garden supplies (ex. tools like shovels and rakes), and it was the first category where we had less than I thought we had, huzzah! There was still lots to get rid of. I only own three small hand tools, all of which I wanted to keep, so all I really did for this one was drag everything out, organize it, and put it away again at the end. I did have to cross the road a lot though going back and forth to one of the sheds. Between the prickly dry grass and the gravel, the soles of my feet are a bit tender at the moment.

We also finished up sporting equipment by pumping up some balls and taking a load of stuff and a free sign to the main road. Before we even got away, someone stopped to sort through the stuff, so fingers crossed some of it goes to good homes.

After that, we did the funnest part of the sporting goods section: testing canoe paddles! My son and I took turns in the canoe paddling in a big loop with each paddle in turn to find the comfiest ones. Two of our paddles are made for giants (okay, adult men) and one for a child based on today's experimentation, so the choices were easy. The paddles we're discarding are pretty nice, but I'm not sure if they'll end up in the sale or side-of-the-road free pile. Then afterwards, as we lifted the canoe back onto its blocks, all the dripped water in the canoe ran down to my end and down my leg, so it both looked and felt like I was peeing myself. We live the glamorous life out here. 😂

Time for supper - using up pantry food - then more sorting probably. Still lots to do, but we got a lot of bulky stuff done this weekend. :)

• Like 6

On 5/23/2021 at 2:32 AM, juliebarkley said:

I also got myself on a few pharmacy waitlists, so I'm actually in the system for some kind of Covid shot. Between the high levels of demand, spotty supply, and poor distribution and booking management, I'm not sure when I'll get a call, and then second shot is sixteen weeks after that. Hopefully it will be all done before 2022.

I ended up going to Walmart for mine. I searched all the "nearby" Walmart's until I found one that had appointments. We ended up driving 3hrs round trip lol. Mainly because I wanted to check out the area as a potential area to move. Yesterday I started getting texts from random pharmacies that appointments were available! Make sure that you go to book it was soon as you get the text though. The appointments are filling up quickly. My boss had some luck just checking the nearby Walmart schedule every day until he found one.  I need to book my second dose somewhere closer. They booked me in at the 3hr round trip place and I have no intention of driving there again lol. Plus it's on a Tuesday and we are camping that week. 

On 5/27/2021 at 1:46 AM, juliebarkley said:

And a random question for your consideration. I have a soap dish that I really like in the bathroom. It is shaped a bit like a claw-foot bathtub, so it can't be kept on the side of the bath because it would scratch it up or fall off. 

I was going to say ring/jewelry/hair tie holder, a decoration with decorationy things in it... Maybe a candle Holder? But that last one night not work if you want it to be prestine. It sounds super cute though! 

I didn't get to finish reading everything so...

Ill Be Back Arnold Schwarzenegger GIF

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

21 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Your son!

That made me think back about Saturday

Horse Shoes GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Haha, it was pretty funny how flustered he got. He seems quite nervous around you guys; not sure why.

17 hours ago, Rookie said:

Yesterday I started getting texts from random pharmacies that appointments were available! Make sure that you go to book it was soon as you get the text though. The appointments are filling up quickly.

Yeah, we have local Discord groups whose sole purpose is to help people find vaccine appointments, but you've got to book within minutes or all the appointments will be gone. The pharmacies seem to be worse for supply than the big OPH clinics, but they are much further away. I'm not super worried and I'm not in a big rush, so I'm willing to wait a little for an appointment close to home, but I don't want to wait forever. A lot of people are going to be looking for shots for their kids over the summer, so it's probably gonna be a challenge for a while.

17 hours ago, Rookie said:

I was going to say ring/jewelry/hair tie holder, a decoration with decorationy things in it... Maybe a candle Holder? But that last one night not work if you want it to be prestine. It sounds super cute though! 

It could make a decent candleholder actually - chunky pillar-style candles don't normally drip much if at all. And I have some cuts pins that would look nice there too. Thanks for the suggestions!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a low-key day on the sorting front. I'm okay with this. (TMI: I have been getting canker sores in really painful places due to stress, so a little break is probably needed.)

I knew that I had D&D in the evening, so I spent the time before that packing up some already-sorted items and gathering the cleaning products category together. I own next to nothing in this category - my cleaning product style is to get things like vinegar, baking soda, tea tree oil, etc. and use a few recipes to make what I need - so I grouped all the items while their owner napped so that they could work on it while I was in D&D. Then I did something productive but mindless during the game, which was spent almost entirely in one giant fight. We did okay, but were perhaps less strategic than we should have been. We've had a lot of really easy fights, some of which don't even make it to the bottom of initiative order in the first round and few of which last beyond two rounds (six characters when the module expects four will do that), so perhaps it was inevitable that we would be overconfident. It was nice to have a challenging fight to remind us that we are not immortal. And to give @Jupiter's wizard a chance to really show off her moves.

Now I'm going to make something to eat, and spend the rest of my time till bedtime working on my audiobook, because wow do I ever need to get that done. Night all.

• Like 5