Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains

On 5/13/2021 at 6:32 AM, cn3wton said:

So the kindness to others goal. I might have a suggestion. Something that was suggested to me which was really awesome.

I started writing 1 letter a week to a friend or family member. A hand written letter which I mailed. It was a really amazing experience. I definitely have to get back into it again. I even went out and bought letterhead, special envelopes, and a dip pen! The whole idea was to create something intentional for someone. It was crazy how it made me feel and how it lifted my spirits. I highly recommend it.

What a great idea!

On 5/13/2021 at 6:45 AM, Fonzico said:

Steve's post was hilarious! 

Forgiving myself for not being a perfectly productive machine is something I'm working on. 

The great thing about endeavors is that they are amenable to adjustment! 

Yep!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Yesterday was not good food wise. Probable stress eating. My father in law is 92, has congestive heart failure. He was in the hospital again. And then moved to a skilled rehab center. On one hand, I'm rather relieved that he is going to the center. And very thankful for the timing. We can actually go visit him now. I was so afraid this was going to happen earlier in the year, and we wouldn't have been able to visit him. Also thankful that he will get rehab and then they will help us evaluate what the next steps are.Whether he is strong enough to go home, maybe with some extra help, or whether he needs more care. That's always such a hard call, and I think  having outside skilled people's advice, will help my brother in law not feel guilty (brother in law is living with my in laws) So we had  my mother in law and brother in law for dinner. I'd already eaten a good amount of food during the day, and had minimal left in my calorie budget. I opted for a turkey burger lettuce wrapped-(good choice) and had fries. This is a restaurant where I can order fries because they make the fries in a separate fryer than their other fried good, so they are truly gluten free. Worth it for me to get fries there, would have been better if I'd left more in my budget. 

This week's big project has been the Great Pinecone War. Yesterday I declared myself the winner. Our neighbor has a giant spruce tree in her yard, that overhangs our garden. Over the years, I have sort of picked up pinecones. But there were so many! This year, you could hardly walk in our garden, the pinecones were inches deep. So, I decided I was going to battle them, and get them picked up. Spent several hours over this week, but now it looks much better. Of course, the spruce is relentless, and keep dropping it's pinecone missiles. And I'm sure I missed a few. But, I vanquished the pinecone carpet, so I count it as a win.The garden bed looks much tidier. I'm also hoping that more flowers will grow in that spot. I'm not sure, it's so acidic from all the pine needles. But there is some groundcover and blackeyed susan's that I'm hoping will have more room to flourish now.

Did my rowing workout yesterday. My hadnstand and L-sit work today.Today I did the walk to handstand first instead of last. That made a big difference. It's one of my hardest moves, and I had been struggling with it. Putting it first gave me more endurance, and I was able to get my feet higher.

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I'm so sorry to hear about your father in law. This must be so tough on everyone involved, not the least on him. *Hugs* 

It's good though that you got to spend some time with your in laws. And fries that don't kill your digestive system are always worth it! 

• Like 1

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Sorry to hear about everything going on with your father in laws health. But I believe you are right that its best for him to be where he can get the care he needs quickly!

Treating yourself with fries is not a bad thing!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Currently Posting in -->Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] 

I'd missed following you somehow but am here now and catching up.

I've seen glimpses of your yard - and man, grass is greener for sure... I have 'yard with lawn with landscape' and it's so... fake.  You have that natural beauty I actively pay money to vacation in.   A few decorations and I bet it will be enchanting!

• Like 1

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

How did I do on week 1?

Endeavor 1: Lose 2.5 pounds by challenge end

Use MFP  6 days a week

Follow guidelines from eating skills

*experiment, I've upped my protein to 120 grams to see if that helps with satiety. This is a guideline. If I have a day where I feel like eating more carbs than protein, that is fine. I just want to experiment and see how this works

5 days counted on MFP. I did 120 grams of protein. Undecided on if it helped with satiety. Honestly, I struggled this week. But it wasn't satiety. It was more just I wanted to eat more because I like food

Endeavor 2: Use my time wisely

Daily: write out the top 3-5 things that need to be done;

weekly: each week I will write out the top things I need to accomplish

Smashed this! Writing things out really helped me focus. WIth my father in law being in rehab, life threw me a curve ball, and I needed to change some of my goals. But having them written out helped me stop and think about my priorities, and what things could be shifted.

Endeavor 3:

I am training L-sits and handstands.Things I want to accomplish

1: hit the benchmarks to progress to the next level by challenge end

2: video on week 1, pick out 1 thing to work on improving for each challenge, then video on week 3 and week 5

DId the videos and  picked out specific things to work on.  My shoulders and wrists were really tired by the end of training, so for week 2, I am switching around the order in which I do things

Experiment:

I'm going to use less media. Yes, this goal is super unSMART. 😃 If I set specific rules, it just makes me cranky, and not want to do it. What I'm going to do is just try and stop and think before I just scroll through media. Idea is to use it less,  but not be super strict. No reward, because there is no way to track. The idea is that I will be happier if I spend less time on the computer, so I am going to spend less time  because I want to spend less time

Since this isn't SMART, I can't really track it. But,  it is nice to just have a pause button before I scroll social media, and sometimes I have chosen to do something else.

Struggling a bit with the lose weight goal. It just seems so hard right now. Like 1 bad meal screws everything up. On the plus side: InJanuary, I tried on some shorts that used to be loose on me, and they were tight.That was my wake up, time to get serious moment. I wore the shorts this weekend, and they fit fine.Not loose, but a good fit. So it is going in the right direction

• Like 5

On 5/15/2021 at 2:45 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Sorry about your FIL 😞

Thanks

On 5/15/2021 at 7:41 AM, Fonzico said:

I'm so sorry to hear about your father in law. This must be so tough on everyone involved, not the least on him. *Hugs* 

It's good though that you got to spend some time with your in laws. And fries that don't kill your digestive system are always worth it! 

Thanks, it is tough. Yeah, these fries are so good, and  don't cause my body to hate me , so it's a win!

6 hours ago, cn3wton said:

Sorry to hear about everything going on with your father in laws health. But I believe you are right that its best for him to be where he can get the care he needs quickly!

Treating yourself with fries is not a bad thing!

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Starpuck said:

I'd missed following you somehow but am here now and catching up.

I've seen glimpses of your yard - and man, grass is greener for sure... I have 'yard with lawn with landscape' and it's so... fake.  You have that natural beauty I actively pay money to vacation in.   A few decorations and I bet it will be enchanting!

I love looking out my kitchen window and seeing evergreen trees. Or just hanging in the back yard . I'm trying right now to sort of envision what having the best of both worlds would look like. How can I still keep the camping feel and yet also feel like it's a good place for hosting company? Not that I'm trying to make a makeover in the next few weeks, just starting to make some changes, where I feel more content with my back yard.

• Like 1

Had a good weekend. On Saturday, we went to a garden nursery store called Flower World. As you can guess from the name, it is huge. And wonderful!  I bought some veggies, and some flowers, and looked at more flowers. The flowers are to go in our side yard. I looked at flowers to go in our backyard. It is really shady (due to huge cedar trees) I wanted something more bright flowery than green.But all the shade loving flowers are mostly green with little flowers. Pondering on that. Maybe I will go for grasses that are different colors, are differnent color bushes rather than flowers. 

Sunday after church, we took a ferry ride . It was a gorgeous sunny day. We stood outside on the deck and enjoyed the fresh air and scenery.Then we walked to a hamburger place. I opted for a grilled chicken sandwich, with apple for a side, so I count that as a win. 

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

But it wasn't satiety. It was more just I wanted to eat more because I like food

Story of my life.  99% of days I only endure the uncontrollable hunger throughout the day knowing I have protein cookies to look forward to at the end of the day 🤣

• Like 2

[Level ?] Altered Outrider (Tech Shaman/Lightning Tempest)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Armor of the First Altered (rare), ECA-AR4 'Space Revenant' rifle (rare), Outrider's pack & Enoch alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

2 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Story of my life.  99% of days I only endure the uncontrollable hunger throughout the day knowing I have protein cookies to look forward to at the end of the day 🤣

I wish I would be better at the delayed gratification of this. I would be a lot better off if I said ,we are going out to dinner tonight, so being hungry now means I will enjoy it more later. Right now, I keep telling myself next time I will do that, and then not doing it. Ok, self talking, I must be doing it somewhat as I am SLOLWY losing weight, but not near as often as I should.

• Like 1

My father in law is doing a bit better. The staff at the rehab thought that after working with him, he would be able to go back and live with my brother in law, and have a nurse come out a couple times a week. Which is really good news. They thought that his inability to do basic things like transfer to a chair  could be helped by body mechanics and teaching him how to move his body.  

The scale went back down today.Yay!I was frustrated with how slowly it was moving down, and how it kept bouncing up. Still am kind of frustrated.  And frustrated with myself. As I said to Rurik, I keep telling myself the things I will do better next time, and then I don't. Yesterday, I decided I was tired of trying to eat so little, and went ahead and had more food. It was a healthy meal; salmon, green beans, and sweet potato. But, in order to save calories, I have been very stingy with the oil, and this time I had more. I am thinking I may do that for my dinners. Be stricter for breakfast and lunch, and then have a good dinner to look forward to. That will give me more calories, and may make it harder to lose. But, maybe I will have less times where I go overboard, and it will even out..

Garden stories:

I have been working on my backyard. Yesterday I planted veggies in the front garden. Chard, tomatoes, cilantro, cucumbers , and green beans. I bought kale too, but the rabbits ate it. Seriously,  I bought the kale on Saturday, and Monday when I went to plant them , all that was left was the stem. They ate a bunch of the chard too. Stupid rabbits. I don't care how cute they are, they are on my bad list. Planted  Phlox, Peonies, and some other thing I can't remember the name of in my side yard. It's a raised bed. Over the years, the dirt has disappeared. I bought a few bags of dirt to replenish it. I put the dirt in, and it was still really low. I went ahead and planted the flowers anyway, because I was ready to. If you can't tell, I am not an expert or perfectionist gardener.

I was looking at ideas for wooded backyard landscapes. Most of too expensive, and too time consuming to try. Which is why we haven't done anything yet. Our house was built in the 80's and we are always doing something, and the backyard is way low on the priority list. One idea was to make a focal point. We have a backyard garden swing, and it is looking rather sad. I did buy new cushions for it last year. Yesterday I weeded it. and took some cedar mulch(from my husband's  stump grinding) and put it under it.Then I will power wash the swing. Also planning on cutting back some of our ferns and undergrowth, that should help.

Yesterdays' training

4 sets x 3

handstand walk to wall

standing leg raise

then 

4 sets

extended leg hold, and then tuck leg raises 

crow hold 15 sec

then 

15 sec 

pike hold

Didn't go on a walk. I did get 7,000 steps with gardening.I thought about making myself go for a walk after dinner, but I had worked in the yard a bunch, and decided I could use a rest, and that it wasn't worth the willpower push either.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Garden stories:

I have been working on my backyard. Yesterday I planted veggies in the front garden. Chard, tomatoes, cilantro, cucumbers , and green beans. I bought kale too, but the rabbits ate it. Seriously,  I bought the kale on Saturday, and Monday when I went to plant them , all that was left was the stem. They ate a bunch of the chard too. Stupid rabbits. I don't care how cute they are, they are on my bad list. Planted  Phlox, Peonies, and some other thing I can't remember the name of in my side yard. It's a raised bed. Over the years, the dirt has disappeared. I bought a few bags of dirt to replenish it. I put the dirt in, and it was still really low. I went ahead and planted the flowers anyway, because I was ready to. If you can't tell, I am not an expert or perfectionist gardener.

Ooh, will you share some pictures of your garden? I loooove peonies, they’re probably my favorite. Well done getting that all done, it’s hard work!

1 hour ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Ooh, will you share some pictures of your garden? I loooove peonies, they’re probably my favorite. Well done getting that all done, it’s hard work!

If I can figure out how to post pictures on here. Last time I tried I couldn't

On 5/14/2021 at 9:33 PM, Elastigirl said:

Yesterday was not good food wise. Probable stress eating. My father in law is 92, has congestive heart failure. He was in the hospital again. And then moved to a skilled rehab center. On one hand, I'm rather relieved that he is going to the center. And very thankful for the timing. We can actually go visit him now.

I'm sorry he's unwell, though I'd glad he's getting good help and you can visit him.

9 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I wish I would be better at the delayed gratification of this. I would be a lot better off if I said ,we are going out to dinner tonight, so being hungry now means I will enjoy it more later. Right now, I keep telling myself next time I will do that, and then not doing it. Ok, self talking, I must be doing it somewhat as I am SLOLWY losing weight, but not near as often as I should.

It can change. For like three years after my disastrous crash diet, there was a massive disconnect between my food plans and what I'd actually find myself doing. Now I still have some of those days, and also some days when I do what I say I will, more or less.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 5/12/2021 at 8:43 PM, Elastigirl said:

Before I forget to talk about it: I'm reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. I read her book The Four Tendencies, on motivation and enjoyed it .Snagged this book at one of those little free neighborhood libraries one day. She researched   ways that people achieve happiness, and then focused on one goal a month  to work on those things. January was health focused, sleeping , eating right, exercising .February was showing love to others. I like the book. It's not anything new or earth shattering. But I like the focus of doing it to achieve happiness. We forget that helping others brings happiness, or a good nights sleep. It's easy to  get in the habit (at least for me) of doing those things because I "should" Refocusing it as doing those things makes me happier is  much more motivating.

I downloaded that book yesterday.   More happiness sounds good to me!  

• Like 2

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Slow is smooth

20 hours ago, Harriet said:

I'm sorry he's unwell, though I'd glad he's getting good help and you can visit him.

It can change. For like three years after my disastrous crash diet, there was a massive disconnect between my food plans and what I'd actually find myself doing. Now I still have some of those days, and also some days when I do what I say I will, more or less.

Thanks. And it's true it can change. Actually , I have lots of good eating habits that I've established, and I am improving. I just wish there was a magic spell I could say and it could be fixed instantly😉

15 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Click “add files” and it should pop up with your photo library, if you’re on your phone. :) 

Thanks

• Like 1

My prayer group came to my house today to pray! The last couple of weeks we met outside, but it was rainy, so we met inside. First time they've in my house in 15 months.

Afterwards, the sun came out. I was going to do my workout. But I really wanted to do some heavy yardwork. I was feeling guilty. One of my great habits is routine and consistency. Which is awesome. However, a downside is I can get caught up in that, and feel guilty even when I shouldn't .Doing yardwork is a great workout. Plus one of the reasons I workout, is to have strength to do yard work.I finally decided to just do the yard work and skip my workout. It was a great decision. Our side yard used to be where our raised garden beds were. We had raised concrete cinder blocks for the border. The problem was, that it was such a shady spot, nothing ever grew. We took out the garden beds, put down gravel, and built a shed. It is all on a small slope. We needed a border wall to keep the gravel away from the moss lawn yard. Since we had the concrete blocks, we used those. It's a bit of a redneck look, as opposed to a Pinterest look, but it was cheap.  We also had some extra concrete blocks that just sort of were left laying around. So, I moved the extra blocks to the other side of the yard , out of sight. Weeded the area, Dug a bit of a trench to make them lay flatter, and prettied it up. Still redneck, but nicer.

Then I went to work on our jungle. It is a wooded backyard, very overgrown. Ferns that are about 5 feet wide, ivy growing in places, and very uncared for looking. Now that I've done a bit of gardening in the front yard, I realized that something that helps things look more peaceful is space between plants. I cut back dead growth on the ferns, and the ferns in general. Pulled some blackberries, some random vines, and picked up branches. I was just able to do a small section, but it looks much better. I'm focusing on the front half, which is most noticeable.  We have some pretty bushes that are amongst the wildness. A salmonberry bush, and a laurel. Tomorrow, I plan on trying to cut back the overgrowth. I am so pumped about how well it looks! I felt like I am actually becoming a real gardener.

Came inside, and had a Lara Bar. I was hungry. I hadn't fixed dinner. The smart thing would have been to have dinner prepped. But, I hadn't planned on a big yard day, it just sort of happened. Fixed tacos. I'm over my calorie goal. I still may have more food, as I'm kind of hungry. I'm waiting a bit now that I've finished dinner

• Like 6

Yard work is the best workout!!!  I miss being able to much of it right now.  Your yard sounds amazing, I wish I had something like it.  I have a few things growing in my garden, but night time temps still get down in to the 40's here making anything that love heat hard to grow.   Ivy, ferns, laurel and all of those bushes sound beautiful! 

• Like 1

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Slow is smooth

Sounds like you had a great day of yardwork and productivity!

I get where routines can feel like a trap. Personally i love the idea of routines. I used to do certain things on certain days, but breaking that routine always seemed to throw me for a loop!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Currently Posting in -->Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] 

4 hours ago, Terra said:

Yard work is the best workout!!!  I miss being able to much of it right now.  Your yard sounds amazing, I wish I had something like it.  I have a few things growing in my garden, but night time temps still get down in to the 40's here making anything that love heat hard to grow.   Ivy, ferns, laurel and all of those bushes sound beautiful! 

It's still cool at night here too. The salmon berry had a few blossoms, but not many.And the Laurel is supposed to get black berries. I'm super excited to see how they look in a few weeks.They've been covered up under so much yard jungle before, that I don't really know what they look like in summer

1 hour ago, cn3wton said:

Sounds like you had a great day of yardwork and productivity!

I get where routines can feel like a trap. Personally i love the idea of routines. I used to do certain things on certain days, but breaking that routine always seemed to throw me for a loop!

I love routines, and really thrive on routines. And most of the time, I think having routines is great. I just need to remember the why behind the routines, and not just doing it because I have to.But , I really like the fact that most days I exercise as part of my routine

• Like 3

Week wrap up:

I'm so excited about the work I did in my yard. I've always liked my yard, but felt like it wasn't good enough for company.  Now, I feel like it looks like both things. I cleaned out a bunch of the dead fern leaves, which creates light underneath, and a lot of stray branches and overgrown bushes.  Now there are pathways, and areas of light.Before it just looked like a wall of green. Now it looks like wooded paths through a cedar forest. 

I also mulched underneath our garden swing. And pressure washed it. Everything in Wa. turns a lovely shade of green, from all the rain we have. But now it is all nice and shiny. I did however get a little too exuberant with the pressure washer, and blew a  hole in our awning canopy.  I was able to buy a new one for not too much money.

Food: On Thursday and Friday, I purposely chose to not track food and not eat at a deficit. I was doing a lot of heavy yard work, and didn't want to do it on a deficit eating plan. Then I should have got back on track Saturday, but I didn't. Sunday was a church picnic, and so it was a planned no count day, but I still  ate more cookies than I wished I had

Endeavor 1 

Track on MFP- 3 days, on those days I ate at maintenance, I was really just  tired of the deficit eating and needed a break

Endeavor 2

Daily write out 3 -5 things that need to be done.

Yes, this is working great to help me focus

weekly :

Yes, did 90% of the things, I had planned to do part of the yard week last week and this week, but I was super excited and just kept at it until I was done, and moved the plan to pick out a cake to this week

Endeavor 3

Train L-sits and handstand. Yes.This week did the workouts twice

Had a dilemma about these. I was getting tired of the workout. I thought about it, and why I was tired of them. I think it was because it was the same thing every session. So, I'm changing it a bit. I'm going to just work on one skill during a workout. This week I will do Monday and Friday L-sit, Wednesday I will do handstand training.Then flip the order on week 4. After that I will do a kettlebell workout. I have a guide with several workouts I can choose from, so I will do that.

I do need to take videos of my L-sit and handstand  this week, so I can check my progress.

I'm tired of calorie tracking, tired of deficit eating. I really only want to lose a couple of more pounds. Going to try and grind it out for the next few weeks, and next challenge be back at maintenance

• Like 3

Went a bit over MFP, but not bad. Enjoyed my workout today .Did L-sit training Then 3 rounds

Kb double press 15/20 lbs

double front squat 15/20 lbs

renegade row 10 15 lbs

55 lb swing 5 reps

ab wheel 10 reps

Then Farmer carry 55 lb and 44 lb

Went on a walk

Cooked up  a pork roast, and some potatoes. Plus we have roast chicken left over from the church picnic, so lots of protein in the house.

• Like 3