4 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Thanks Maggie! Hugs are most appreciated. I'm good it's all over and done with now and I actually have some answers finally :) thankfully nothing too serious. 

Congratulations on both the answers and the experience being over and done! Now, go rest and recover and feel good about getting something out of the way :) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31

Update:

Well that's not something I'd recommend but it's done with now. I finally have some answers. Diverticular Disease which in very layman terms that even I can understand is essentially scar tissue that's prone to infection.

The more important thing is that it means a complete 180 on all the previous dietary advice I've been given :lol:. As in I'm literally meant to be eating the things I've been told to avoid previously. Oh well. I'm not blaming anybody for that, I understand why that advice was given. 

Also my bloodwork showed some vitamin deficiencies that would explain the extreme amounts of fatigue I've been feeling and maybe even the big depressive crashes I've had recently. This very nicely gives me some good, actionable things that I can do to improve things for myself. Otherwise I'm told things all look pretty healthy. I'm much more okay with everything today than I was yesterday because now I know something. 

I've got a few follow up appointments and a couple of tests that still need to come back. I might need to go back onto antibiotics again and I'm being prescribed  some supplements.  Next week I want to come up with an eating plan and start going with it.

The day left me pretty wiped out and things are sore. 

28 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Congratulations on both the answers and the experience being over and done! Now, go rest and recover and feel good about getting something out of the way :) 

Thanks :) I do feel good about it.  Yes rest. I've been sleeping on and off since I got home. 

• Like 7

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

I'm glad you've got some answers. Both my maternal grandfather and my mother have dealt with diverticuli. FWIW whenever my grandfather has a flareup, he gets a russet potato, bake it, and eat it with butter and salt and nothing else. Something about the kind of fiber in the potato does a lot of good things to soothe the diverticuli. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

7 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm glad you've got some answers. Both my maternal grandfather and my mother have dealt with diverticuli. FWIW whenever my grandfather has a flareup, he gets a russet potato, bake it, and eat it with butter and salt and nothing else. Something about the kind of fiber in the potato does a lot of good things to soothe the diverticuli. 

Thanks, fun fact, russet potatoes are near impossible to find in the UK :D I actually didn’t know such a thing existed until I’d spent some time in the US. I can find something similar but I have never had anything quite like them. Interestingly, again fwiw, potatoes have been the one solid food that I’ve actually wanted to eat recently. Just this weird potato craving whilst not wanting to eat anything else. But it’s the fibre from what I can gather that is the thing. Conversely, for IBS and IBD, which don’t  have associated physical causes, they recommend avoiding high fibre foods to help control the symptoms. If I understand things correctly, and the things at play here seem obvious enough (although sparing everyone from the crappy details)  that would have just made things worse.  Nonetheless I want to see if I can largely control it with my diet and now that I have a direction I am going to see what helps. 

6 hours ago, Maggie-Miau said:

Yay answers! Youve been through so much, i hope now you can finally begin to get some relief and start feeling better.

Thanks! It feels like I’ve been sick forever. It’s so nice to have a solid answer to explain my symptoms.  

• Like 4

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Update:

Rather surprisingly for me I feel better today than I have in ages. If I were to guess I think the clear out of my gut has done wonders. It's sort of wonderful to simply feel okay for a change.  

I ate reasonably well today, paying extra attention to trying to get a little more fibre into my diet. Improvements still need making but improvements are happening. I need to make some calls tomorrow to my doctor to get some follow up stuff done.

I did a long walk this morning before playing not 1 but 2 games of dnd. It was a great day. 

• Like 4

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Update:

Kinda busy day today as I struggle to catch up with things I've fallen behind on. I feel completely normal today, which means I feel amazing :D Well almost completely normal. I'm still really tired but I understand that might take a little longer to correct. I really hope feeling okay sticks at least for a while while I make changes to how I eat. 

On that note I paid particular attention to what I ate today. My fiber levels have been bumped up significantly but ended relatively low. I think this'll be pretty simple to hit once I've had a chance to actually shop. 

Took a long walk this afternoon. Tomorrow I'm going to be going to the office which gives me a perfect excuse to cycle. 

• Like 3

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

7 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Tomorrow I'm going to be going to the office

How long has it been since you've been there?

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, Spot Reduce [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 5/25/2021 at 5:53 AM, WhiteGhost said:

How long has it been since you've been there?

Oh 6 months at least and I didn't get in this week either. I got sucked into a problem on a different system that kind of takes precedence over my new builds. 

20 hours ago, Maigs said:

Jon! Good to see and you and great to see you finally got some answers! Hopefully soon you'll be able to get back to your normal ass kicking self

Maigs!! Great to see you too! I've not yet gotten to go catch up with everybody. Hopefully now I'm feeling a little better I'll be spending less of my free time sleeping. 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Update:

A bit of a busy week for me probably because I'm feeling a lot better than I have done. I'm feeling almost normal, which pretty much means that I feel amazing. Never take your health for granted. I'm still too tired. I'm sleeping better than I have in years. I almost never wake up with my alarm but will wake up by myself sometime before it does. Yet excessive amounts of fatigue persist, now I'm perfectly aware right now that I'm borderline anemic and have deficiencies in some very common vitamins. I got a prescription of supplements some of which are many times higher than recommended levels. So that explains that I guess. 

The pain in my stomach has changed in an interesting way. Not sure to make of it or if what I'm feeling is actually the biopsy of my gut they took. It's very low level pain, even when I'm feeling really sick (which I now know means I have an infection and lots of inflammation) it doesn't hurt much when I'm at rest. 

Honestly my hip right now is hurting a damned sight more right now. I really don't know how to explain that one. The only thing that makes sense is something like a trapped nerve. If I put pressure on a specific part on the back of my right thigh (about 12 inches below my hip) I'm getting severe shooting pains right through my hip and only then, although there is also a dull ache but that in of itself isn't unusual. I sort of tested this and the only factor seems to be whether or not pressure is being applied to my thigh, and not anything else my legs might be doing. I rolled out my butt and lower back on a foam roller because I've had success in the past with dealing with my achy hip with that. 

Anyway Goals:
Food well, I'm eating. Yesterday was better than today but thankfully I'm able to eat again. I'm even getting hungry at appropriate times. Although we don't have much around for me to eat but we ordered groceries today and that should change tomorrow. Ended up with takeout today. 

I ran today! My  goal when I set out was to 'try and go for a run' but actually it didn't turn out that bad. The minimum for this is around two miles but that just means that if after I hit 1 mile it's not working then I'll make my way home. But it went pretty well. Not amazing but to put things into perspective . Two weeks ago when I did my last two runs my paces clocked in at around 12 minute miles and it felt hard. Today I kept everything super easy but ended up running just a shade over 10 minute miles. 

• Like 4

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler