Welcome! I’m the married parent of 4 kids aged 0-7. I’m ultimately an adventurer at heart, though I train similar to a lot of Rangers (and I’m something of a Druid Paladin which is also something of an equivalent to a Ranger).  I love hiking, exploring, traveling, and other fun things with the family.  Since shortly before joining Nerdfitness, my physical training is typically built around injury rehabilitation (which happens a bit more often due to autoimmune arthritis) and training to be able to travel, explore, and play with my family. I have a pretty effective Disney World training system, and try to ensure that at any point I’m strong enough to carry my whole family somewhere. That has become more difficult as the years go on but I can still do it for the most part.  I am also an enthusiastic suburban homesteader bent on establishing an orchard and vegetable garden, so things can get pretty out-doorsy depending on my goals. My needs mean I do a variety of types of training, and my earliest two physical training goals were “run fast” and “be able to competitively play any sport I come across.”  I prefer to avoid gyms and do a lot of body weight training. 

At the beginning of the year, we welcomed baby 4 into the family, my cat was diagnosed with feline dementia a couple

months ago, and I am still on parental leave though I return to work next week. I’m not particularly looking forward to it, but C’est la vie. A couple of months ago, we discovered some nearby bakeries for sale, a way to give a physical location to our small cottage bakery, and are intensely investigating those.  Timing has taken longer than we hoped but we’ve also figured out what we’re definitely not doing. That’s the whole point of due diligence though. 

We have several new fruit trees, including a kumquat tree. I look forward to getting those planted and to finishing my fence, whose remaining pieces are currently being shipped. 

Healthwise, we’ve been living the keto lifestyle for a little over 2 months, and we’ve found it to be incredibly easy to stick to 99% of the time, meaning we’re seeing more success and I’m burning less willpower on food-related stuff. I am a pound away from my arbitrary goal weight, though I’m still far off of my goal composition. The last time I was this weight was before I met Jessie and when I was a middle and high school wrestling coach.  That is, one of the best shapes of my life. I want to be lean and strong, not skinny and weak. (Tried that and hated it).  I have not been as dedicated to my calisthenics the last couple of months, so I’ve gone a little backwards but a lot less than I was fearing. But I’m not doing too bad for a guy who is just starting to sleep through most of the night due to infant care and who hasn’t really had the opportunity to run alone. 

Goals: 

1. Sleep. As best as possible. I’m a nonfunctional mess without sleep and can sacrifice it for a few days ok but then I have to make it a super high priority to regain it. With le bébé getting older this is easier but with work starting back up next week, that adds a complication. 

2. My basic calisthenics routine with Woody and Rex and Bo Peep. I need to get back into this as a regular practice, which I think will be easier with a workday and the associated schedule. Currently I’m back down to 4 pull ups and 28 push ups but I’m not as concerned about being able to build back up since I’ve been off, and I hear keto can reduce general performance as well. 

3. Take one concrete step forward per day- at least one tangible, visible thing to make life better. This ranges from things as small as “dig out the replacement toaster” to as big as “reorganize the playroom.” I don’t have to complete the bigger ones as long as I make progress. 

4.  Take one concrete step forward per day career-wise. I need my job but I’m not satisfied in it and otherwise need a change. I need to hone/adapt skills and look for other opportunities. -> Currently, this involves working towards dramatically expanding a part-time business into a full-time business, which would have Jessie running that business full-time and likely have me also working it full time within the next few years. 

5.  It’s planting time. I have a raised vegetable bed to dig in, (and the veggies are protected on the porch), drainage to install,  and permanent  cinderblock sides to install. I have anti-deer fences to put in around my fruit trees as well, and I started a bunch of seeds last challenge. Also, one of my experimental seed fruit trees  actually survived but I’m growing it larger before installing it in the back yard.  I also have my grandma’s Japanese yellow rose to place, and I am building a small, raised pot in the front next to the garage for it. I also want to finish off the fencing (connecting neighbor fences to our house and installing a gate) so I can let the dogs out/delegate that job to someone else.  Half of this job is done. An error in parts ordering meant I had to return and replace several parts to enable the usage of two gates. In addition, the beds and yard all need to be weeded to keep said weeds from totally taking over. 

6. Therapy.  I have a new diagnoses and new medication that have been, it feels, pretty life changing. I finished intensive therapy that was also insanely helpful prior to that and I am continuing with less frequent sessions. My goal is to better learn how to manage ADHD and how to be a more connected, present, and supportive husband and father. I had some big conversations with other family members that I think have been really helpful with our relationships, too. 

There’s a lot going on. I’ve  started a lot more regular D&D sessions with the kids. We had a few false starts and some practice sessions but they’re finally getting into the Lost Mine of Phandelver. I’m seriously considering a TikTok channel detailing their exploits because they’re a lot of fun- a regular human fighter (who will likely become a Paladin) played by Woody,, a Dragonborn Barbarian who will 100% be multiclassing Druid played by Rex, and a higher level Tibbit multiclassing Druid and Rogue  played by Bo Peep, who is a volatile sometime-companion and sometime-ally who can also wild shape into a dog. 

• Like 5

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

Hello! Congrats on kid number 4! I've got a couple of kids aged one and five.  Glad to hear the sleep schedule is starting to get better.  Those first few months are brutal.  I fully expect the one year old to throw some wrenches in this challenge for me. 

I really like your goal of taking one step forward every day.   That's a good way to approach things mentally so you're not beating yourself up mentally over not accomplishing everything. 

I like the sounds of all of the gardening.  I decided not to do a vegetable garden this year.  I just don't have enough sunshine in any part of my yard to make anything worth while.  I am about to redo all of my flower beds in the front yard, so that will probably help scratch that itch. 

The D&D with kids sounds fun too.  I've looked at some entry pen and paper RPG's, but haven't found anything that was well reviewed enough for me to jump on it.

Anyway, I'll be following, good luck on the challenges!

• Like 1

"It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do little - do what you can."  Sydney Smith 

I am glad things are going so well on the health front. I will be following along! :)

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 11 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

8 minutes ago, RedMarten said:

Hello! Congrats on kid number 4! I've got a couple of kids aged one and five.  Glad to hear the sleep schedule is starting to get better.  Those first few months are brutal.  I fully expect the one year old to throw some wrenches in this challenge for me. 

Thanks! Babies are awesome and so are kids. But they keep you on your toes!

I really like your goal of taking one step forward every day.   That's a good way to approach things mentally so you're not beating yourself up mentally over not accomplishing everything. 

Same here. I just sort of started it as a survival thing and it’s become a general real core goal now. 

I like the sounds of all of the gardening.  I decided not to do a vegetable garden this year.  I just don't have enough sunshine in any part of my yard to make anything worth while.  I am about to redo all of my flower beds in the front yard, so that will probably help scratch that itch. 

I love flowers, but I really love stuff I can eat. Hence the 10 fruit trees and dozens of fruit bushes 😂. But we have tons of 

The D&D with kids sounds fun too.  I've looked at some entry pen and paper RPG's, but haven't found anything that was well reviewed enough for me to jump on it.

TBH, with the right DM/GM and group the system isn’t nearly so relevant. At this point I’ve played games in a couple dozen systems and the people were always or important than the rules, especially since a good GM alters or throws out bad rules. But traditional D&D is a lot of fun. 

Anyway, I'll be following, good luck on the challenges!

Welcome! 

5 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

Here for bakeries and fruit trees and other assorted adventures!

I can deliver on fruit trees, and I’m hoping I can say the same for the bakeries! I’m considering a D&D TikTok channel because the kids are both hilarious and extremely conscientious in their decision-making. 

2 hours ago, Aquarii said:

I am glad things are going so well on the health front. I will be following along! :)

Me too. Welcome, and May the Force be with you on your health journey!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

55 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

Me too. Welcome, and May the Force be with you on your health journey!

I love it that you always say "May the Force be with you" in reference to mental health. I don't even know why I love it so much, but I do.

• Like 1

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

3 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

I love it that you always say "May the Force be with you" in reference to mental health. I don't even know why I love it so much, but I do.

I’m glad you appreciate it. It’s always felt like it carried more weight than the usual sayings, and then Rogue One came out and that got even stronger. 

64673F2F-8264-4376-B785-87F1FEFAD37E.jpeg

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

I’m glad you appreciate it. It’s always felt like it carried more weight than the usual sayings, and then Rogue One came out and that got even stronger. 

64673F2F-8264-4376-B785-87F1FEFAD37E.jpeg

Rogue One ❤️ Such an amazing Star Wars movie. And yeah, Rogue One definitely gave that saying a lot more emotional depth. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

Here for stories of the Lucky Vale!  I’ve not been following challenges for a while, but I’m glad to hear that your is in an upward swing ❤️ 

I get it. This intro pretty much sums it up. Also, le bébé holds his own bottle now. I’ve quite enjoyed all your pictures and was surprised to discover that my middle guy and your little guy are birthday buddies!

• Like 1

Spoiler

I may have to steal your "take one concrete step forward each day" to add to my own challenge, which at the moment is somewhat lacking in direction. I love that idea of like even if you don't hit everything, focus on doing at least one thing to move the needle in the right direction. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

I may have to steal your "take one concrete step forward each day" to add to my own challenge, which at the moment is somewhat lacking in direction. I love that idea of like even if you don't hit everything, focus on doing at least one thing to move the needle in the right direction. 

By all means! I’d be happy for it to spread if it helps you or anyone else! 

I’ve seen more complicated ones, which are basically goals lists (do one thing for the house, one for the garden, one for your career, one for self-care, etc.) per day, and while those are fine stretch goals there have been a lot of days that I really, really struggle, especially the bad mental health days, and having this One Concrete Step Forward allowed me Marshall my Resources for One Important Step and then rest without guilt for the balance of the day. The lack of guilt and better rest has paradoxically led to me usually achieving a multitude of goals per day instead of only that one, and I’m healthier doing it to boot! 

So, I hope it helps you!

Spoiler

11 hours ago, Aquarii said:

Rogue One ❤️ Such an amazing Star Wars movie. And yeah, Rogue One definitely gave that saying a lot more emotional depth. 

I've got a lot of thoughts (mostly bad) about all of the new Star Wars movies, but Rogue One has managed to work its way in as one of my favorites.  

• Like 1

"It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do little - do what you can."  Sydney Smith 

10 hours ago, RedMarten said:

I've got a lot of thoughts (mostly bad) about all of the new Star Wars movies, but Rogue One has managed to work its way in as one of my favorites.  

I’m generally a fan of the new stuff as well, but I particularly enjoyed Rogue One and Solo. 

Spoiler

On 5/6/2021 at 11:51 AM, Sciread77 said:

I look forward to getting those planted

Hey!  I planted a strawberry bush and a couple veggies and thought of you :)  

On 5/6/2021 at 11:51 AM, Sciread77 said:

keto lifestyle

So what's a normal eating day like?  Are you tracking cals?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Teros said:

Hey!  I planted a strawberry bush and a couple veggies and thought of you :)  

Rock on! Beware, I wasn’t. Strawberries will take over. Each bush can sprout 25-50 additional bushes nearby through their underground root system. (I’m not complaining at having well over 100 strawberry bushes though!) Jessie got the plum and pluot trees in the ground yesterday and I’m planning to get that fig tree planted today. 

I hope you enjoy fruit and vegetable gardening as much as I do!

10 hours ago, Teros said:

So what's a normal eating day like?  Are you tracking cals?

A normal eating day is about 75% fats, 20% protein, and 5% carbs. Most of my fat intake comes from olive oil, soybean oil, eggs, nuts and seeds, poultry, and fish. We have beef once, maybe twice a week, and usually fish or chicken/Turkey the rest of the week. I do eat a decent amount of cheese, too, but never more that 5 carbs worth (which is a lot anyway). 

My carbs almost all come from cauliflower, broccoli, spinach/lettuce, radishes, and cabbage. Carrots are like a sugary treat at this point and I have them alternating with berries including strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. 

I occasionally use heavy cream mixed with Greek yogurt to make sauces, as well as pre-made 4 net carb tortillas and a zero net carb, high fiber bread. 

I am actually pretty low in general on my saturated fat intake. I do use butter and coconut oil sometimes, and I get it in the beef, too. 

I do not track calories at all. I did at first, but now I sort of just eat equal units of food that are roughly equivalent on a set routine. I am pretty good eating on routine because after decades of anxiety that sometimes destroys my appetite, I realized that I need food whether I want it or not. Intuitive eating had a few issues for me, mostly because my appetite will go. Before starting keto this almost inevitably led to a period of overconsumption later. Now, being fat adapted and still having plenty of fat available in storage, I find that it isn’t as big of a deal.  I’ll eventually get hungry but I won’t eat like a maniac when I see food and can have additional food at the next meal. 

I will say this, though. I am currently basically  maintaining strength but I will be watching more closely how much I eat when I start my heavy work again. 

In the long run, I plan on cycling in and out of keto over long periods of time, such as in from January 15th-June 15th and out during the other half of the year. But the plan is to break out via the addition of the things we produce on the homestead and sweet treats a few times a year such as desserts on our birthdays and holidays as well as enjoying a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, my favorite meal of the year. And some good chili and lentil soups at the appropriate times of the year.  This is basically what the kids eat now, though they also eat oatmeal and the occasional PB&J. 

I will be staying with a strict keto until Jessie hits her goals too. This year’s fruit tree harvest will probably exist but it will also probably be anemic. We won’t likely have such large quantities of plums, pluots, apples, peaches, and cherries until next year. The berries will be going wild though!

Spoiler

On 5/10/2021 at 9:02 AM, Sciread77 said:

I do not track calories at all. I did at first, but now I sort of just eat equal units of food that are roughly equivalent on a set routine. I am pretty good eating on routine because after decades of anxiety that sometimes destroys my appetite, I realized that I need food whether I want it or not. Intuitive eating had a few issues for me, mostly because my appetite will go. Before starting keto this almost inevitably led to a period of overconsumption later.

This is me. Routine tends to save me during stressful times because if I let myself eat intuitively, I just don’t eat enough and then I get hangry and it is not fun for anyone, lol. 

I am glad to hear that you have found a groove with your diet that seems to really be working for you. I would be such a sad panda with only 5% carbs, but it sounds like it is a great option for you!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aquarii said:

This is me. Routine tends to save me during stressful times because if I let myself eat intuitively, I just don’t eat enough and then I get hangry and it is not fun for anyone, lol. 

I am glad to hear that you have found a groove with your diet that seems to really be working for you. I would be such a sad panda with only 5% carbs, but it sounds like it is a great option for you!

I do miss my oats, chili,  lentils a lot. But the sugary stuff I really ate too much of? Don’t miss it or crave it much or at all these days!

Spoiler

Looked at another business, ran some numbers, and got excited. I don’t think it’s unrealistic to say that it could support replacing salaries for both Jessie and I inside a year, and the opportunity could easily have notes paid off and Marinara starting full time in 3-4 years. He doesn’t want to leave his current job until at least then anyway else he’ll owe them for a graduate degree.  Further, the growth opportunities mean we could be in a financial position to do things like buy my grandma’s place, take over payments for Jessie’s mom and aunt, etc. -things that are completely impossible now because our salaries do not differentiate between bare minimum hours and effort and strong, smart, hard work at all. 

I am super excited, because overall this appears like it would average fewer hours than either of our current jobs (although there is no remote work with this one) and I think we’d have a healthier, more balanced lifestyle with more gardening opportunities. 

Spoiler

I ran the numbers, and it’s good even if we continue running things the same way as we have been doing so. What’s more, there are a number of things we can add within the capacity of the current business that complement the existing product line and could be sold to both new and existing customers. The simplicity makes it easier to present a business plan for, too. 

I’m doing a deep dive on some of the things we learned to tweak the plans. I should have them ready by next week. It’s an exciting time. 

Jessie and I had our real first date night since the pandemic. Even our anniversary was just Netflix and dinner without the kids. So we went mini golfing and to a nearly-empty local burger restaurant (across from the first bakery we looked at). It was a blast. The golfing was mostly close and we’re both competitive but I had 3 really bad holes that cost me a walloping 15 strokes altogether. I got in the rough on a mini golf course! And the last one rejected my ball 3 times! Jessie had 3 hole in ones, especially impressive considering she was wearing le bébé in a wrap and couldn’t see or swing as effectively. 

Still, it was a blast and, it turns out, the first time we ever went mini golfing with just the two of us. Yeah. Cue the double take. 

She really is my favorite person. 

Work has not been that bad this week. I’ve been mostly left to my own devices, which is how I function best, and the medication has helped dramatically, too. 

I’m hoping our fence comes today. 

Spoiler

So our fence arrived Friday evening, and my padre came over to help put it in yesterday. We did some prep before going to get the borer, and thank goodness we did. We found what we suspect to be an unmarked 4160 power line right through the middle of where the gate post goes. There is supposed to be one in the vicinity; right down the center of where the gate, per my plan. But we used our hands to pull out the grass first to just look and plan, initially to see where the neighbor’s post concrete ended, and now more than 2 feet away from the mark is a line. So they’re coming out to investigate this week. I don’t know if it’s an old line from the transformer or just a bad marking job but they said it was accurate to within a foot and I planned for it to be 2 feet off the line. Obviously, one way or the other some other close is going to be hand dug, but I don’t want to explode and die which is basically what hitting a 4160 line would do. 

Which is a whole long way to say that I didn’t get the second half of the fence up. I did hang one of the gates, but the vinyl flexes so I’m painting and adding metal corner brackets before I put the latch on. I did go to the hardware store twice, and we have all the concrete and rock we’ll need to finish the project along with some supplies to paint the dining room. Inside, Jessie is on a mission to make the house ours and, importantly, to change up our environment. After more than a year of remote schooling and working for everyone and without any sort of vacation in sight, it’s something that I think will be good for us. I’m working on the dishwasher again because we just had it repaired 2 months ago and OF COURSE it isn’t working again. 

Still, I feel pretty good about our general process. The veggies are doing well, the fruit trees are doing well, I have a poly heat tent up on my Ranier which is still in stasis and hasn’t woken up yet, and yesterday we (Rex) harvested our first quart of strawberries. Jessie weeded the front and I mowed down the annoying (and invasive) decorative grass in anticipation of its full renovation from the front. I still have a lot of weeding to do, especially in the back, but fortunately it’s only around the strawberries and blackberries that are already flourishing and in our second bed that we’ll have our vining plants or faster growing plants in. So I feel a little bit less under the gun to get it started since they’re all able to be planted as late as mid-June. 

Marinara might be coming over again this evening for games, which would be good. 

Mentally, I’m doing well even being back at work. Work is actually worse than ever, but having been able to distance myself from it for a while I think I’m able to set some better boundaries and processes up with it. I talked to my buddy at work on the phone Friday as well, and it was really good to talk to him. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

Me too! That would, frankly, ruin my day. 

• Haha 1

Spoiler

I sit here contemplating the new information that buying this smaller, simpler bakery may “dramatically speed up” our timeline.  To the point our broker warned that things could move very quickly going forward.  Scary? A bit. Exhilarating? Heck yeah. Bring on the change!

This is after, just 2 weeks back, I am (re)developing problems in my hips, ankles, back, and feet. We are not optimized for sitting. We are optimized for moving. I love computers and analyzing data but even working remotely feels like entrapment. Not even because of the main parts of my job I don’t like; physically I’ve grown to detest 8 hours of daily desk work. 

*crosses fingers and does push ups*

• Like 2

Spoiler

20 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

I sit here contemplating the new information that buying this smaller, simpler bakery may “dramatically speed up” our timeline.  To the point our broker warned that things could move very quickly going forward.  Scary? A bit. Exhilarating? Heck yeah. Bring on the change!

Woohoo!

• Like 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, Current

Walk to Mordor (2021)