[DarK_RaideR] wrestles with his inner demons

I'm glad at least the first part of the holiday went well and thanks for the photos, they're gorgeous and I love a bit of vicarious living! The return home sounds pretty rough, along with the negative aspects of the trip, no wonder you're wrestling with the black dog (not Junkyard). 

Here's hoping something starts looking up for you soon. Big hugs, matey ❤️ 

• Thanks 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

I've not read the whole thing yet, but I'm interrupting my reading to say:

BMW are the only bikes that smell the way a bike should. Dunno why; still true.

• Confused 1

&,
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 |

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

I loved reading about your experience, the emotions of the trip were very vividly expressed.  The scenery looked great and I would love to get there someday.

I can certainly understand your frustration with the way things turned out, but it seems like the Stoic is a pretty good guy and made the trip a lot more bearable.

• Thanks 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, Spot Reduce [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

17 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

@Mr_Willes wanted ... some sloppy shots

That certainly sounds like him!

17 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Sometimes I wonder why people don't arrange a daily excursion to locations like these, complete with a picnic and D&d session.

I want this to be a top priority when i visit you in Greece, of course we will ride our bikes to get there!

Holy shit what a rollercoaster this has been. I'm sorry you seem to keep on struggling, i was really hoping the bike trip would leave you rejuvenated!

The pictures are great, i really want to visit Greece on the bike now!

• Thanks 1

... a little odd in the head ...

Identify with a lot of your experiences on the trip. "Brother from another mother" came to mind while i was reading it.  If we were living close to one another i'd love to hang out with you, over the years here I've always been surprised at the similarities. 

Thank you once again for frankly sharing your experience in ways and words that i sometimes struggle to share myself. To know there is someone else feeling similar things is a comfort.  

I'm sure the day will eventually come that i get to thank you in person and buy you a beer.  

• That's Metal 1

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

60 days to 5k (July-Sep 2021)

On 6/15/2021 at 3:16 AM, WhiteGhost said:

the emotions of the trip were very vividly expressed

I specifically wanted to paint a picture of the emotional over the mere factual stuff of "we went there and did that" so I'm glad to read it came across.

On 6/15/2021 at 8:39 AM, Mr_Willes said:

The pictures are great, i really want to visit Greece on the bike now!

You're always welcome. Doesn't necessarily have to be Greece either, we could meet halfway or something.

28 minutes ago, Endor said:

Identify with a lot of your experiences on the trip. "Brother from another mother" came to mind while i was reading it.  If we were living close to one another i'd love to hang out with you, over the years here I've always been surprised at the similarities. 

Thank you once again for frankly sharing your experience in ways and words that i sometimes struggle to share myself. To know there is someone else feeling similar things is a comfort.  

I'm sure the day will eventually come that i get to thank you in person and buy you a beer.  

That was really nice to read. You may indeed be struggling to share, I never knew we had any similarities besides a love for Crossfit and trash talking each other :P Here's to one day meeting in person.

Okay, so it's been nearly a week since I returned and I've settled down well enough to do another post after my long report of the bike trip. The good news (crosses fingers and knocks on wood) is that there seems to be a random uptick out of nowhere related to my work and I won't bother to question, understand or explain it, I'm just riding the wave for as long as it lasts. I got a new case to work on, got randomly picked by the system to mediate a discussion on a case and even received some payment, both owed from before and upfront. I'm using this as incentive to get out of the house every morning and visit either my professor's office or the office of an accountant friend of the SRLF who's granted us keys to come and go as we please. Freelance work means you gotta go out there and chase stuff, so I'm pushing to get myself back into a working mood in hopes of building momentum, if nothing else to get out of the habit of being around at home or doing work-related stuff from my home PC. Speaking of that, there's a call for financial aid going on, aimed at assisting lawyers in adjusting to the new Zoom-heavy reality of the covid age. Due to my ultra low income, I qualify for the maximum amount (2k) which I'm allowed to spend on computers, cameras, speakers, microphones and so on (but not stuff like smartphones or tablets). Should be enough to buy a new and powerful PC for myself, while keeping the old one for the SRLF. We're also getting our first vaccine jabs on Saturday, with the second date set for exactly a month later (July 17th) so it's likely we're getting the Moderna vac.

With all of the above and looking back on my initial challenge post that read:

On 5/7/2021 at 9:25 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

the only goal this challenge is to self-reflect but in a useful manner that helps me move forward

I'd say it's been a successful one. I've embarked on a solid journey of self reflection and seem to be ending on a high note. I've been a bit sluggish in updating the wrestling narrative, but I'm pretty sure it still had its fans so I'm keen to keep it going next round, maybe in a somewhat more simplified format so it can be posted more frequently and with less work on my part.

P.S. Remember the second challenge of this year, when I used one of the RPG characters I'd made to run myself through the introductory adventure and learn the rules of RuneQuest, that Bronze Age themed one? Well I ran into a bunch of guys who really want to play it (one even owns the big core rulebook) and I agreed to GM them through said intro adventure. First session's tomorrow, character creation and a bit of the story, likely wrapping up in a second session in the future. I'm even bringing the very character I made for myself so I can throw him in as an NPC if they need more bodies.

See you next challenge, I'll post a link here when the thread is up.

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

I never knew we had any similarities besides a love for Crossfit and trash talking each other

We're twinsies, I'm surprised you missed it but then I've fallen into shadow for a while.

9 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

We're also getting our first vaccine jabs on Saturday, with the second date set for exactly a month later (July 17th) so it's likely we're getting the Moderna vac.

I had Pfizer last week, it poleaxed me for 5 days. The first 2 days I was rooted then it gradually got better.  I hope it's a better experience for you,  seems to vary widely by individual. Got my next one in 2 weeks,  not looking forward to it.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

I qualify for the maximum amount (2k) which I'm allowed to spend on computers,

Maybe you have a whole new business ahead of you in crypto mining!! Seriously though will you self-build or buy ready made? Pcpartpicker.com is ur friend,  I can help if u need. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Should be enough to buy a new and powerful PC for myself

All i read is, even more Roll20 capable ;)

25 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

We're also getting our first vaccine jabs on Saturday, with the second date set for exactly a month later (July 17th) so it's likely we're getting the Moderna vac.

I got Pfizer today, i somewhere read that there is a trade-off between Moderna and Pfizer, where the Moderna is a little more effective between 1st and 2nd dose and Pfizer has a little lower chance of side effects. (But as Endor mentioned this is "a chance of").

• Like 2

... a little odd in the head ...

Loved the pictures and details of your trip (and my right knee/back acts up when I ride distance...strange) not so much the homecoming, and very happy things are looking up for you on the work front!

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - cute is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

On 6/17/2021 at 9:48 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

First session's tomorrow,

Hey, how did the game go?

I love that you're ending this round with a flurry of unexpected good luck (and money!). You deserve good things.

The universe loves you and wants you to be happy.

❣️

• Thanks 1

&,
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 |

Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

On 6/20/2021 at 1:07 AM, Heidi said:

Hey, how did the game go?

We made it past the extensive character creation and almost halfway into the adventure, which is more than I expected. They seemed to enjoy the game/world and I realized afterwards, in the 7 hours we spent together, not one of us ever checked into their phone. Much fun was had, but most important, I was once again around a table with papers, pencils, dice, snacks, drinks and people physically being there. It's the aspect of the game I've missed most.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1
7 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

We made it past the extensive character creation and almost halfway into the adventure, which is more than I expected. They seemed to enjoy the game/world and I realized afterwards, in the 7 hours we spent together, not one of us ever checked into their phone. Much fun was had, but most important, I was once again around a table with papers, pencils, dice, snacks, drinks and people physically being there. It's the aspect of the game I've missed most.

I like this for you.

❣️

• Like 1

&,
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

That Runequest RPG sounds fun! I am glad that your getting a group together in person. It does have a feel to it you just can't get over the internet! 

I remember when I first started with Pathfinder. I got a group of pretty much all newbies together and I remember character creation took hours. It felt like forever to me. I was shocked when I asked everyone what they thought and they said they couldn't believe it had bene that long!

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] <--Current Challenge