I keep trying to make the same group of goals work every challenge. Because individually they're all things I've done before and want to do again/make a permanent part of my life. And I keep clinging to that and not really acknowledging the fact that when I succeeded at each of these things, it was under very different circumstances than where I am now. Some of it was in college or grad school, some of it was when I had a different job, none of it looked like my current existence. So I'm going to forget all about all of it. I'm starting from scratch as if I've never done yoga before, never eaten good-for-me food, never done any of it. I'm approaching all of this as if it were brand new. And okay fine, I can't actually forget all of it. But I can stop clinging to was past Fleas have done, and instead I can see what now!Flea can do. 

Goals:

1 - Do whatever my nutritionist recommends that week. 

• before 5/12: make 1 smoothie for breakfast, start taking multivitamin at night 
  • 5/12-5/18:
  • 5/19-5/25:
  • 5/26-6/2:
  • 6/3-6/9:

2  - 10 minute movement break every day. Walk around the block, have a dance party with the cats, do some old PT exercises, whatever. 

3 - Do 2 lessons on Duolingo every day. I restarted German, which I haven't looked at in years, and I started Hawaiian because why the fuck not.

4 - Do a meditation with Insight Timer every day. Approach it with an attitude of wanting to learn more, rather than "I did this before and it made me feel better, why am I not feeling better yet?!"

This challenge brought to you by a discussion with my nutritionist about how I really want to be vegan again, and both of us coming to the conclusion that I need to focus on fixing my eating habits in general before I try to refine it like that. 

• Like 12

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

My father got his second shot yesterday morning, and once again despite giving me shit for being miserable over the side effects he’s all kinds of paranoid and the man flu is setting in. Meh. He also asked me, again, if I have one of those forehead thermometers but you know 100% if I actually did he’d give me shit for that too. (Why would I? “Well you don’t like to share yours.” Right so if I don’t want anyone else using my oral thermometer I’m just going to buy an expensive one for you to use instead? Sure.)

In the meantime, I’m cleaning my room and I forgot to put a mask on so with all the dust and cat hair I’m kicking up I’m gonna have a bad day. Taking the amnesia bit a little too far there. 

• Like 7

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Wait, do I have to have amnesia to follow you?

Either way, here to follow again/hi, following for the first time. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Here, following, you know I'll like on everything about a week after it's posted ;)

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - cute is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Wait, do I have to have amnesia to follow you?

Either way, here to follow again/hi, following for the first time. 

sorry, do I know you?

3 hours ago, RES said:

Here, following, you know I'll like on everything about a week after it's posted ;)

honestly I laugh every time I have a million notifications because it's always like "what the fu- oh. RES is back." ❤️ 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Monday is starting its bullshit early. Its 3:15am, I have my stupid diabetes appointment in 7 hours and I am clearly still awake which is not helpful at all. My cats are being assholes. Some uninvited dickhead in the back of my brain informed me that I should just apply for a job at Aldi because I’m too dumb and useless to get a “real” job. The stomach troubles I’ve been having the past few days are apparently self-inflicted; I googled the symptoms and oh look they all happen when you’re hungry. I’ve literally been making myself feel like shit because I’m too fucking stupid to eat food. 

today is cancelled. I’m not doing anything at fucking all, except showing up for this stupid appointment because I don’t want to pay for missing it. Beyond that, fuck it. Video games and staring at the ceiling until bedtime. The end. 

• Sad 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Also I definitely should have been given a Mother’s Day gift considering all the handholding I do for these fucking idiots. 

• Like 6

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Hey, you were smart enough to Google your symptoms and figure out the problem. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Here for ya. I am the EMPRESS of having the same frickin' challenge every challenge because I'd like to be able to do everything I did when I was 25 - which was 24 years ago. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Not happening. Start small, get that under control and build works for me. I look at some of the other challenges with checkboxes and stuff and I'm like - nope - not happening :)

You are absolutely encouraged to take a "mental" health day and start tomorrow. Or later today if you can manage.

There was a time when I was taking a ton of meds and had to literally set alarms to take them AND eat because I had to or they'd tear my stomach up. Perhaps something to consider along with easily portable snacks. Just spitballing. I have a major problem at times with knowing I need to eat but have 0 motivation to make anything and nothing available as a small snack. I've tried to start to have some reasonably healthy snacks - plantain chips, pretzels, etc. I can at least portion them into a bowl and get SOMETHING.....

• Like 2

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

mother. fucking. lawl. 

The endocrinologist I just saw for the diabetes does not actually think I have diabetes. I’m definitely on the threshold, but she said you need two A1c readings of 6.6%+ (I've only had 1) or two fasting glucose levels of 140+ (I’ve had zero). So like, at best I’m prediabetic and need to fix it ASAP. But still. I will fucking take it. She didn’t say I’m officially not diabetic but I might send a message in a few days and ask if we should take that off my list of conditions. It doesn’t change what I need to do for myself but it would definitely help relieve the self-impose shame of it. Other than that the appointment was nothing special, although I did easily get answers from her that I couldn’t get out of the NP I've seen at my doctor’s office. I have a virtual follow up with an endo NP in 3 months basically just to check in, and an in-person visit with the endo 3 months after that with some blood work to see if I even need to see her anymore. 

jesus, the relief is insane. Between maybe technically not being diabetic and also her telling me that for there to be serious damage it would take years and/or being wildly out of control (which the NP would not comment on when I asked), I feel so much fucking lighter. 

I’m still writing off this entire day because I’m miserable and so fucking tired. I’ll be back later to catch up with people once the coffee kicks in and my brain comes back online. 

• Like 6

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Even if "pre" diabetic - keep an endo if you can ESPECIALLY if you may have other hormonal factors going on. I am saddened and perhaps enraged at how little PCPs stay on top of current literature with respect to Diabetes.

My mother has no thyroid and is pre-diabetic and was having an insane time keeping everything together based on her PCP and finally, FINALLY, found an endo that specialized in BOTH diabetes and thyroid. She finally has all of the right data for HER situation(i.e. when testing she needs to be hitting different numbers than what her PCP was telling her) and her meds are now correct. She lost 30 pounds without really trying because getting her hormones under control stopped her cravings for sweets (and trust me, she's ALWAYS craved\eaten candy) and she feels better than she has in years.

So hopefully you'll have a similar experience and can knock one thing off your worry list! Well - eventually your body will realize you've knocked something off your worry list :)

• Like 5

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

3 hours ago, fleaball said:

jesus, the relief is insane. Between maybe technically not being diabetic and also her telling me that for there to be serious damage it would take years and/or being wildly out of control (which the NP would not comment on when I asked), I feel so much fucking lighter. 

Yay for feeling lighter!!! It's about time you had some good news ❤️ Glad to hear it was easy to get answers too, that makes such a difference. 

• Like 1

My father left the toilet lid up because he's an animal. He then proceeded to knock his inhaler into the toilet, scream, throw something across the room, scream more, slam something, yell enough variations of 'fuck' to make even me uncomfortable, fling the bathroom door open so hard it bounced off the wall behind him, and then stand in the middle of the hallway and yell "I HATE THIS FUCKING HOUSE" at the top of his lungs, then yell at boobcat for being startled awake by all of this. And my noise cancelling headphones block out exactly none of this. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back in time to laugh at past Flea for thinking she didn't have enough of a reason to have PTSD. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Wow 4
  • Angry on your Behalf 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

And now I'm mad at myself that my reaction was to try to calm him down and fix things for him. Self-preservation in this case, but I'm still pissed about it. 

Mondays, amirite?

• Like 5

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

24 minutes ago, fleaball said:

And now I'm mad at myself that my reaction was to try to calm him down and fix things for him. Self-preservation in this case, but I'm still pissed about it. 

Mondays, amirite?

Next time squirt him with a spray bottle and in a firm tone say "NO."

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Next time squirt him with a spray bottle and in a firm tone say "NO."

1 hour ago, Owlet said:

And then put him outside to cool off for a bit. 

You both spelled "punch him in the face" kinda funny but okay.

10 hours ago, Athaclena said:

There was a time when I was taking a ton of meds and had to literally set alarms to take them AND eat because I had to or they'd tear my stomach up. Perhaps something to consider along with easily portable snacks. Just spitballing. I have a major problem at times with knowing I need to eat but have 0 motivation to make anything and nothing available as a small snack. I've tried to start to have some reasonably healthy snacks - plantain chips, pretzels, etc. I can at least portion them into a bowl and get SOMETHING.....

The ridiculous thing of it is I have snacks at hand. Tasty snacks. I just don't recognize that I'm hungry. Last week my nutritionist said I should be eating something every 2-4 hours and I was like "there's no way I'll want to eat that often, that's crazy." Or not, apparently.

7 hours ago, Athaclena said:

Even if "pre" diabetic - keep an endo if you can ESPECIALLY if you may have other hormonal factors going on. I am saddened and perhaps enraged at how little PCPs stay on top of current literature with respect to Diabetes.

My mother has no thyroid and is pre-diabetic and was having an insane time keeping everything together based on her PCP and finally, FINALLY, found an endo that specialized in BOTH diabetes and thyroid. She finally has all of the right data for HER situation(i.e. when testing she needs to be hitting different numbers than what her PCP was telling her) and her meds are now correct. She lost 30 pounds without really trying because getting her hormones under control stopped her cravings for sweets (and trust me, she's ALWAYS craved\eaten candy) and she feels better than she has in years.

So hopefully you'll have a similar experience and can knock one thing off your worry list! Well - eventually your body will realize you've knocked something off your worry list :)

for sure. I also have PCOS so my plan was to see someone for both. When they called to scheduled today's appointment they said it was just for diabetes and tbh I'm cool with that for now - not much to be done about pcos. I just wanted to know what the interaction would be like since it also causes insulin resistance and metabolic shit. But I'm fine with waiting til this chapter is closed to have them refer me over to the reproductive endo folks. Lady today knew about it anyway but basically since I'm on the pill my pcos is as managed as it's going to get so there's not really much to do there anyway. 

6 hours ago, Owlet said:

Yay for feeling lighter!!! It's about time you had some good news ❤️ Glad to hear it was easy to get answers too, that makes such a difference. 

❤️

4 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I am glad that things went well with the Endo today. I am sure that would remove a HUGE fork and a ton of weight off you. I hope you have a quiet rest of the day.

❤️ such a big fork. like I didn't know it was bothering me as much as it was until suddenly it wasn't.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

43 minutes ago, Grizzy said:

I laughed.

Humor is my #1 coping mechanism. Mostly because setting too many things on fire is frowned upon.

• Like 4

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Pretty sure I spent most of my day eating. Which apparently I needed, but now my reflux is unhappy. Which doesn’t make for good sleep. Must. Find. Balance. Ugh. 

Tuesday to do list:

- challenge goals

- call vet about fat kitty

- catch up with people here

- schedule a physical

- make that goddamn smoothie

- figure out how to deep clean my night guard

- clean up a bit because there’s stuff all over the place and it’s stressing me out

- find a fucking job, change my name, move to another country, and never associate with the people I live with ever again

• Like 6

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

5 hours ago, fleaball said:

- figure out how to deep clean my night guard

Get those tabs you drop in water to clean dentures and use them.

9 hours ago, fleaball said:

You both spelled "punch him in the face" kinda funny but okay.

I said what I did deliberately. Punching him would be treating him like an equal. Spraying him in the face with a spray bottle would be indicating he's not acting like a human adult.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1