1 hour ago, foxinthenorth said:

I do not like this, sam I am...

I am generally pretty anxious about what I put into my body, which is probably 100% of the reason I didn't develop an energy drink addiction after the first time I drank half of a Red Bull at age 14 and went into the next class session the most focused and alert I'd ever been in my life. But I got into fancy coffee a few years ago and once work from home started I had time to make a cup of coffee every morning and nowwwwwwww......

Is there like a Dry January for caffeine? 😅😅😅😅

...after I finish this bag of really delicious Ethiopia light roast I just bought...

I love the taste of coffee. I don't feel effects of caffeine, and don't taste the difference with decaf, so I'm trying to make the full switch, because I might as well stop taking a stimulant I don't benefit from. Sadly, I'm running about half and half right now in terms of what's in the house, and cannot bring myself to throw away good coffee, sooooo... I  can't judge. :D

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

10 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

Is there like a Dry January for caffeine? 😅😅😅😅

That's a baaaad idea for our household.

• Like 1

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

Coffee Caffeine GIF by LookHUMAN

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - cute is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

3 hours ago, RES said:

Coffee Caffeine GIF by LookHUMAN

I tend to agree. Summer without iced coffee would be a sad thing.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

7 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

Anyone else a sucker for sea salt iced tea/coffee? I think I've roughly cracked the at-home recipe for it...

Never even heard of it. Is that a thing now?

11 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Never even heard of it. Is that a thing now?

It's sold at a coffee/bakery chain in this area called 85°C, but I'm not sure if other places sell it or where in the country/world there are 85°C locations. It's sweetened iced tea or coffee with a "sea salt cream."

My super imprecise recipe: make iced tea or coffee - add simple syrup or sugar until it tastes distinctly sweet - pour whipping cream into a bowl and add salt until it tastes distinctly salty (but not super salty, you just want to taste it and be like "That's salty" not "hmm i'm getting a hint of salt" or "bleckhkchkhkh") - whip the cream until thick but still liquid - pour cream over tea

tadaaaaaaaaa

• Wow 1
22 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

I appreciate salted caramel, but that's about it, I like my coffee black. Anything else counts as a coffee-based beverage in my book :P

I also prefer my coffee black, generally speaking. The flavor changes too much when things are added. Tea seems more forgiving.

But uhhhh I definitely turned this "herbal tea only" thread into a coffee conversation soooooooooooooooo

*hasty exit*

scott pilgrim f GIF

• Haha 1
On 5/18/2021 at 12:20 PM, DarK_RaideR said:

I appreciate salted caramel, but that's about it, I like my coffee black. Anything else counts as a coffee-based beverage in my book :P

This is why we get along...well, one reason! :lol: 

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - cute is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

On 5/18/2021 at 11:45 AM, foxinthenorth said:

But uhhhh I definitely turned this "herbal tea only" thread into a coffee conversation soooooooooooooooo

As long as it's decaf coffee, you're on topic. :D

• Like 1

I've been, uh, conserving my energy this week, and staying mostly on my home thread, so here we go with another. This one sounds familiar to me, like perhaps something @Scaly Freakmentioned once?

• Run. Escape those lions.
  • 20 second hug.
  • A good night's sleep.

Plus some discussion of whether there's a sex-based difference in how our bodies process stress.

• Wellness is an actively changing state, with cycles.
  • Rest.

Soooo I might be checking the library for this book.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I've been, uh, conserving my energy this week, and staying mostly on my home thread, so here we go with another. This one sounds familiar to me, like perhaps something @Scaly Freakmentioned once?

Yes, that's the book I was raving about in Chapter 25 of the Challenge Saga. The book is basically more of all the things in the video, plus additional detail (there's a chapter about the evils of the bikini industrial complex and how the mental health of all women would benefit from smashing the patriarchy, that I think you might appreciate ;) ), and some genuinely good practical advice.

I essentially cannot recommend this book enough to anyone who is trying to understand why the stress never stops, and is looking for a way to try and change that. I can talk about this book for hours (largely because it has really helped me).  :) 

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31

3 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

how the mental health of all women would benefit from smashing the patriarchy, that I think you might appreciate

I would indeed, though I would also argue that the mental health of all men would benefit from smashing the patriarchy, too. The cage has a better view, but it's still a cage.

hulk smash GIF

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I would indeed, though I would also argue that the mental health of all men would benefit from smashing the patriarchy, too. The cage has a better view, but it's still a cage.

hulk smash GIF

I completely agree. So to do the authors of the book if I remember correctly, but they didn't write it for men ;) 

Society needs more focus, and more conversations, about the damage that toxic masculinity and the rest of the patriarchal bullshit does to men.

• Like 5

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31

2 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

I completely agree. So to do the authors of the book if I remember correctly, but they didn't write it for men ;)

On the one hand, I feel I should soft-pedal a source aimed at a gendered audience in an inclusive thread, but on the other hand, that's the patriarchy saying men don't find value in women's things while men's things are universal, so today's beginner smash will be rejecting that premise and chipping away at the concept of the pink ghetto. Learning to code-switch into another gender's conversational style, identify with them in a positive way, and extrapolate from their thinking is a useful skill set for everyone.

Fred Armisen Vote GIF by IFC

Run from lions. Awkward hugs. Sleep. (Protect your genitals as appropriate for your body during these activities. I think that addresses gender adequately.)

• That's Metal 1

6 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I like it! MOAR competition! Down with the complacents drop-my-insecurities-and-inability-to-relate-to-other-people-on-the-people-around-me-but-oh-look-I'm-in-power-you-have-to-deal-with-my-failings-whether-you-like-it-or-not fools!

tenor.gif?itemid=11760395

There are too many times when I think that stress is such a problem not because of a too competitive environment but because the people in charge are protected from real competition that would make them challenge their self-absorbed views or go down in the darkness never to have any relevancy ever again.

• That's Metal 2

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

On 5/9/2021 at 12:37 AM, Grizzy said:

I've had to repeat to myself that I deserve  need this rest, and sometimes I believe it?

FTFY. You definitely need rest and the guilt associate with resting is often messages from society telling us to be more, do more, make more, and sometimes what we need is time for nothing. 

My brother started this tradition in his house that sunday afternoons are chill out time. It's flexible to a point, but even my youngest nephew who loves being active is like "No Auntie, I like to chill out on Sunday." They order food in, read a book or watch a movie and the whole point is they all get this afternoon off. And then they start the new week in a better mindset than before when they did all the things. I think there's something to scheduling promised "nothing" time. 

On 5/13/2021 at 8:15 AM, theflyingaccountant said:

What I get wrapped up in is the stuff that's more amorphous. "Do this thing" that has no boundaries or clear expectations. Or, worse still, "learn about this subject" and "direct your professional learning path." And since I'm a curious person by nature, I find myself filling hours of my non-work time cramming stuff into my brain (history podcasts, udemy courses, so on) until I'm nearly catatonic because I have to learn all the things!!!

I do this too, I get into learning fits when I am like trying to cram it all in. But the brain also needs breathing room, doesn't it? You can't plant all your seeds in one spot and expect it to grow well! (grumble) I need to remember this too. Its' so much easier to tell other people what to do! ;) 

On 5/21/2021 at 1:26 PM, sarakingdom said:

that's the patriarchy saying men don't find value in women's things while men's things are universal, so today's beginner smash will be rejecting that premise

YEAH! SMASH IT DOWN!  My youngest nephew is awesome at this. He's constantly reminding us that assigning gender to stuff isn't really cool and that everyone should be able to enjoy cooking, unicorns, swords, and laser tag equally.  I love that stinker. 

• Like 6