(IF) Intermittent Fonzico becomes (CF) Consistent Fonzico

No this thread is not going to be about fasting nor CrossFit. I'm co-opting those acronyms for new purposes.

It turns out that if your effort isn't consistent, neither will your results be. Who the heck knew? 

I've never stopped trying to get into better shape for very long... But I also haven't kept trying for very long (recently, anyways). So even though I know exactly what the perfect routine and habits are... I'm not aiming for perfection this time. Just CONSISTENCY. 

Small improvements, that stick and that I do regularly. 

It is really really difficult to let go of the ideal - especially when I maintained that lifestyle in the past! Knowing I'm capable of it makes it hurt even more when I fail to reach that same standard now. But knuckling down and burning out hasn't worked so far, so in the name of ending the insanity... Let's try something new. 

Goal One: Eat better

Two servings of vegetables with every dinner.

(Seriously, I want to tack on like 900 extra things to this. No grains! Track! More protein! A couple W30 meals per week! Etc etc. But, to start, we are going to do something achievable. Something that I can actually do every single day and not give up on.  And it WILL actually make a difference)

Goal Two: Get moving

Workout 3 times per week. 

Okay, so I've actually been working out a bit. Again, just... Intermittently. But we just got access to a new employee assistance plan at work and it includes these workout programs. I tried it out the other day, and it looks promising. I'm not going to insist that i COMPLETE every workout... But I will start every one. 

Goal Three: Get moving part deux

7000 steps per day. I'll allow for a weekly average here.

Currently hitting around 5000. Basically one extra walk per day. It will do me and my dogs good.

Another thing I've been doing lately is buying pretty clothes that actually fit me at this size. I've been withholding from myself for so long, promising that I could buy once I reach XX weight... But all that is doing is making me miserable. 

I love clothes. 

That's weird for me to admit, because it's not really part of my definition of myself... Except it totally should be! I guess I've rejected it as shallow and vain, but screw that noise. I am allowed to enjoy things that I enjoy with having to justify it to the personality police!

So anyways. I'm going to start wearing nice clothes now. And feel good about myself. Because that's the only way I can get to the point where I can wear the things I really want to and feel good about THAT. 

And I don't CARE that my big Why is not particularly noble. I accept myself, dammit. 

(If you say it enough, it becomes true, right?)

• Like 2

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

I love this challenge! Great job at narrowing it down to achievavle goals. I love clothes too. RIght now I'm dressed in one of my favorite blouses and skirts, and it just makes me happy.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

7 hours ago, Fonzico said:

It is really really difficult to let go of the ideal - especially when I maintained that lifestyle in the past! Knowing I'm capable of it makes it hurt even more when I fail to reach that same standard now.

This is me right now.  I'm here for this to watch you make positive steps forward :)

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

11 hours ago, Fonzico said:

It turns out that if your effort isn't consistent, neither will your results be. Who the heck knew? 

What?! Is that my problem? It's not the universe being mean to me? :D 

11 hours ago, Fonzico said:

So anyways. I'm going to start wearing nice clothes now. And feel good about myself. Because that's the only way I can get to the point where I can wear the things I really want to and feel good about THAT. 

Good for you! I need to do some clothes shopping to so I can have more clothes that fit me now that I like

Has the work nonsense gotten better for you? 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Fonzico said:

I totally relate to this. I'm great once in a while! Once in a while only gets me to slightly above average every once in a while.

14 hours ago, Fonzico said:

I am allowed to enjoy things that I enjoy with having to justify it to the personality police!

So anyways. I'm going to start wearing nice clothes now. And feel good about myself.

Heck yes!

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I love this challenge! Great job at narrowing it down to achievavle goals. I love clothes too. RIght now I'm dressed in one of my favorite blouses and skirts, and it just makes me happy.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this! So good to see you friend. 

16 hours ago, Novaurora said:

This is me right now.  I'm here for this to watch you make positive steps forward :)

We got this!

12 hours ago, Maigs said:

What?! Is that my problem? It's not the universe being mean to me? :D 

Good for you! I need to do some clothes shopping to so I can have more clothes that fit me now that I like

Has the work nonsense gotten better for you? 

Ugh, somehow it has actually gotten worse. I may have gotten slightly emotional in a zoom meeting with my boss and one co-worker the other day about how beyond impossible our current workload is. I've actually applied elsewhere. 

The only good news is that my boss alluded that I won't be getting laid off this summer, which I was half expecting to happen, so at least it sounds like I'll have a job until I find something else. 

9 hours ago, Grizzy said:

I totally relate to this. I'm great once in a while! Once in a while only gets me to slightly above average every once in a while.

Heck yes!

But we must remember that "pretty good most of the time" trumps occasionally excellence. 

Level 20

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

Alright. Day one. (Can't wrap my brain around a Sunday start). 

Dogs have been walked once, but we'll go for another longer one later. 

I'm WFH for now, so I have an hour at lunch, or we can go right at 430 when I'm done. The weather is finally improving here, so I need to go out and get some sunshine! 

Dinner will be leftover steak and potatoes, but I'll add a big serving of broccoli and a salad to it for veggie goal. 

And I probably should get a workout in today. But tomorrow would also be acceptable. 

Happy day, lovies! Be good to yourselves. 

• Like 1

Level 20

On 5/10/2021 at 12:20 AM, Novaurora said:

Saaaaaaaaaame. 

Also SO FRIGGIN HAPPY TO SEE YOUR FACE BACK

Happy Pumped Up GIF by AT&T

• Like 1

Level 83 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

So I was not really taking into account, when I set my intentions for the first few days, that I had my first vaccine dose booked for Monday evening (whooooo Canadian supply chain). 

I felt like poo all day (although much better now), so workout and steps definitely did not happen. 

BUT at least I did eat my veggies at dinner yesterday and today! 

(We're not talking about the rest of my meals yet haha)

I applied for another job today... Eish. This might actually be a thing that happens. So weird to be seriously persuing this after almost 7 years in the same place. I worry that I'm engaging in some "grass is greener" thinking here... But it's undeniable that things have degraded a lot in the last few years in my current workplace, so it's definitely theoretically possible to be happier elsewhere. 

I just probably won't ever have such a good boss again. But she's not enough to stay for when everything else sucks. 

I have tomorrow off (one of the results of the deterioration is that I'm only working like 30 hours a week, but I'll admit that the every-other-Wednesday off thing is kinda nice), and no plans other than taking one of our pups to the groomer. So, lots of steps and a workout are absolutely happening!

• Like 3

Level 20

20 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

But she's not enough to stay for when everything else sucks. 

I hate leaving good people behind.  I have so many great co-workers strewn across other schools and the food lion deli.  I miss them.  I hope you love whatever you choose!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

Yesterday was a completely wonderful day and honestly healed my soul a bit. 

It was just... Mundanely perfect. Hubs had the day off too, so we spent it together, getting some things done, but in a very casual, unpressured way. 

And my goal actually did me some good! We got perogies from the local perogy bar (it's the only restaurant in our hamlet). Frankly, I wish he didn't want to do this so often, it's both unhealthy and expensive but I struggle to say no! But anyways, I ALSO made myself a large salad to go with it, which I wouldn't usually do. 

Definitely got my steps in. 

And I'm counting it as a workout, because I did a Bunch of yardwork (and I'm feeling it today!). The back and front garden beds have been weeded, and amended with compost and are ready for planting.

This is our first summer in our (first!) house and I'm so excited for it. Firstly for actually having garden space (our old rental had a yard, but it was tiny and shady.)

There's about 64 sq ft of garden bed just in the back, plus another decently-sized bed in the front. I'm going to add more trellis in the back, because I'm planning to grow a ton of cucumbers and beans. 

(Bonus pic of adorable floofs)

I actually woke up with my first alarm today, so I have time to workout AND walk the dogs before work, which I'm going to do right now. 

And now there's only two days left until the weekend! Two days, I can do. 

Happy Thor's Day, lovely nerds! Be good to yourselves. 

20210513_064757.jpg

20210513_065101.jpg

20210513_064829.jpg

• Like 1

Level 20

Day Four:

A day of meeting goals, so that's good! 

I decided I was in the mood for a barre blend workout, so that's what I did. I did not finish it, but I showed up, and did 18 minutes, and it freaking counts. 

Then took the pups out before work as well. 

On my lunch break, I went to the grocery store and they had pork picnic roasts on clearance, so I took one of those bad boys home and popped it straight into the slow cooker. 

Once again, my veggie goal improved my dinner - we had pulled pork buns with coleslaw, but I also made green beans. And I didn't snack afterwards, so double win. 

Checked my steps after dinner - only 3000! But it was an absolutely beautiful evening and I didn't have anything else to do, so I went and took the dogs on a 4000 step walk!

And now we've made it to Friday! Thank the gods. 

If it's nice, we may go play disc golf tonight. We're on another lockdown here, so you can't play with anyone outside your household, but at least they didn't close the parks this time. 

I'm planning on making homemade sushi tonight for dinner :D

Which, I'll admit, does make it a little challenging to meet my veggie goal... I'm going to give myself a pass if I eat a big ass salad for lunch. 

Happy Friday! 

• Like 1

Level 20

Gaaaaah I typed up a whole big update and LOST it before I posted :(

Am sad. And not willing to redo it. 

Summary:

Yesterday was good.

11000 steps.

Disc golf was good. More disc golf this morning. 

Yardwork later. Greenhouse tomorrow with sister. 

Sushi was delicious. And so inexpensive.

Bloating is down! Diet improvements make happy body even without perfection.

The end.

20210514_205322.jpg

20210514_205317.jpg

• Like 3

Level 20

Weekend recap: 

Veggies with dinner: No on Saturday, Yes on Sunday

No workouts

8600 steps on Sat, 5400 on Sunday. 

So on Saturday we went to go test out a proposed layout for a new disc golf course that is getting installed. 

It's only like 20 minutes from our house, and it is going to be great one it's in! They're just starting with 9 holes but there's a plan for 18, although the back 9 is going to require a decent amount of labour to create as it's pretty grown-in. 

Still. Awesome. 

Also got WAY too much sun, and basically passed out as soon as we got home. 

Around 7 we went over to our friends' house for a fire, which was really nice! Hardly ever see anyone these days... 

And then picked up Wendy's on the way home. I mean, Wendy's has the potential to be at least semi-healthy, but the choices I made were not. 

On Sunday I woke up early to go to the greenhouse with my sister, in an attempt to beat the crowds. It worked, but it was already getting crazy busy by the time we left, so I'm glad we went early. 

I got a couple perennials for the front bed, some herbs, a couple tomatoes, a couple peppers and most excitingly, a dwarf blueberry plant! Fingers crossed that it will thrive where I plan to put it. Apparently it's self-pollinating, so I shouldn't need a 2nd one. 

Did some minor domestic rangering when I got home, so at least the kitchen and living room don't look totally tornado-struck. 

Then some yard work - I assembled and installed the trellis situation that I had planned. Really hoping this works! 

The idea is to grow cucumbers and zucchini up the trellis, and then I've got greens growing underneath where they'll be protected from the straight sun. Between facing east -ish and the white garage wall, it gets pretty harsh on those beds. 20210517_075120.thumb.jpg.4826af8261878877e2f7c55aeecd9fe1.jpg

The little bed on the left has strawberries and chives. I've planned green beans to grow up the trellises that go up the wall, and I plan to put carrots in front. Oh and there's dill on the right side of that bed.

The beds wrap around the back of the garage although that gets less sun. I'm mostly going to plant flowers over there, we'll just see what succeeds. 

I think there are day lilies coming in over there already? A little early to know for sure. And our firewood is also stacked back there, so it's not a ton of space to fill up. 

Anyways, I'm pleased with how things are coming along! 

In the evening we walked over to the corner store - they just started selling hard ice cream.... Danger! It was so good, it's hard to regret, but between that and the late night peanut butter toast, I'm very much bloated again. 

• Like 3

Level 20

Week One Recap: 

2 servings of veggies with dinner: 5/7

I'm happy with this goal - it definitely succeeded in making me eat more nutritious food that otherwise would have been replaced with carbs, most likely. 

I'm going to repeat it again this week, and aim for 7/7. Plus bonus points for higher veggie content in other meals too. 

If that goes well, we'll add on another nutritional baby step in week 3. 

Workouts: 2/3 technically. 

However, I was SO much more active this past week than I have been lately, what with yard work and disc golf. Overall my body is feeling better so that's cool. 

No change to this goal. 

7000 steps per day: 44722 = 6388/ day average.

Not bad, especially considering I didn't wear my watch on Tuesday (which was my vaccine recovery day). Not that I got many steps that day, but that's a one-off anyways. 

Same goal this week, except I'm going to meet it this time ;)

Decent week one. I feel like I'm moving in the right direction. I also have a good idea of where I need to go, but I'm really trying not to burn myself out getting there. So, we will let the little habits become true habits and be ok with that progress. 

• Like 3

Level 20

13 hours ago, Maigs said:

Looks like a solid Week 1

Hubs got a frisbe goal for Christmas and is talking about getting a couple more and setting up a mini-course in our yard

That is awesome! Our yard isn't big enough for much, but we do have a basket out there for putting practice. 

• Like 1

Level 20

Week Two Day One: 

Met my veggie goal, but that was about it! 

It was a very brain draining day at work. Fine, overall, but just mentally exhausted by the end of it. 

I did take the dogs for a decent walk on my lunch break, but it wasn't enough to get my 7000 steps in. 

It's supposed to get rainy and cold for a few days here :(

Of course, I try to push the garden planting up by a week (May long weekend is traditionally the first planting weekend around here as it's usually after the last frost date) and now it's going to drop below zero overnight for a few nights in a row! 

But I have some old windows that I'm planning to make a cold frame out of (but haven't yet), so I'm thinking that I can just lay those over the beds to protect them. And I can throw an old sheet over the trellis.

At least I didn't put the plants I bought at the greenhouse in the ground yet! They can wait until the weekend and hopefully we'll be good from then on.

It's not raining right NOW though, so I think I'll take the dogs while I can. And I must fit in a workout today. 

I've got chicken thighs out for dinner tonight - I'm thinking shawarma salad.

Don't stop, get it, get it!

• Like 3

Level 20

Hey, no, I am NOT abandoning this challenge, even if I did mostly abandon my goals this week. 

I did make that shawarma salad I mentioned, so I did at least hit my veggie goal that night. 

And also yesterday - I made a big batch of roasted veggies (peppers, carrots, broccoli, onions, purple cabbage and zucchini), and turned some of it into a salad with spinach and lentils. And also hamburgers because, you now, balance. 

No workouts though and pathetically few steps. I met my goal yesterday but that was about it. It was rainy and cold all week. And the burnout is real. Ah well. 

Madly cleaned the main floor of the house yesterday, so that's really lovely. Still need to get caught up on laundry, but at least the livingroom and kitchen are sparkling. 

I did get some more gardening done - the perennials are in the ground in the front, and the tomatoes and peppers are in containers. I'm going to soak the blueberry's roots this afternoon so I can get that planted too. I need more potting soil though. 

I'm going to go meet a couple girlfriends for socially distant outdoor coffee this afternoon. 

Meatballs and spaghetti squash on the menu tonight - so many veggies (especially since I had roasted veggies egg scramble for breakfast). 

And I have the next 3 days off! I don't work into Thursday. And I have basically nothing to do, it's amazing.

• Like 4

Level 20

On 5/25/2021 at 5:23 PM, Maigs said:

It's so much harder to keep up with challenges than it was before

Nice work on the veggies!

This was more validating than I realized I needed, so thank you. 

It's okay that it's hard. 

On 5/25/2021 at 6:31 PM, Elastigirl said:

Having a lovely afternoon with your friends.Hooray for getting some gardening in!

Social time is much needed - There's too many weeks when I see no one but my husband...

Gardening is keeping my soul alive right now!

• Like 1

Level 20