Hangrybear's journey from chonk to stronk #3

Hello everyone!

These challenges have been phenomenal and I'm very happy to be able to participate.

You can read my introduction and see some progress photos right here.

The first challenge was a bit of a struggle due to having to find a rhythm and dealing with binge-eating episodes.

But the second challenge has been incredibly pleasing and I've managed to go binge free for the entire 5 weeks + week 0 of the current challenge.

Also have a 53k hike coming up mid-june for which I'm training currently. Have gotten an overuse injury last week and am taking 2 weeks off hiking 

in an attempt to recover.

I work out 4-5 days a week, and have for couple years, which is not part of the challenge, as its second nature by now.

Am  very fortunate to have a small home gym  and calisthenics parks around the house.

Physical:

• 3x hiking prehab (stretching, strengthening) per week
  • 5x core or accupressure mat per week
  • 2hr+ standing desk on workdays
  • increased hiking distance per week, but resting week 1

Mindset:

• 1x daily ask someone close to me how their day is going

Nutrition:

• 1x daily anti-inflammation smoothie
  • avoid binge-eating at all costs, this is the prime objective
  • no milk products as they have been proven to be terrible for my skin genetics
  • no beer as it upsets my stomach and affects mood negatively. Some vodka or clear liquor is fine

Tracking of the last and current challenge in Spoiler.

Spoiler

728945509_5WeekChallenge2.png.45833837735e68f3210ae9bcf6d0bb82.png

Spoiler

1189656366_5WeekChallenge3.png.24060030c631c268f42ae89f592e2f55.png

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Great job on zero binges last challenge! And best of luck for this challenge, too.

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

12 hours ago, Harriet said:

Great job on zero binges last challenge! And best of luck for this challenge, too.

Thank you! Appreciate it

Training Monday:
60min Shoulder, Tricep, Back
15min biking outdoor
15min Core
10min Foam Rolling
20min Stretching
=2hr

Training Tuesday:

Rest 

Today I'm just feeling physically drained. I could force myself to work out as I usually do but instead will take the day off to let my body recuperate. It's really difficult for me to do nothing physical for a day but it's necessary unless I want my body to break down. So instead will do some self-care, cook a fancy meal and try and start a new pc game. Haven't gamed since finishing Valheim and need something to play while world of warcraft The burning Crusade classic launches. 

Otherwise I might dive back in to my old wow habits, and the last WoW Classic launch already cost me 2000 hours and progress in the gym. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Hangrybear said:

Thank you! Appreciate it

Training Monday:
60min Shoulder, Tricep, Back
15min biking outdoor
15min Core
10min Foam Rolling
20min Stretching
=2hr

Training Tuesday:

Rest 

Today I'm just feeling physically drained. I could force myself to work out as I usually do but instead will take the day off to let my body recuperate. It's really difficult for me to do nothing physical for a day but it's necessary unless I want my body to break down. So instead will do some self-care, cook a fancy meal and try and start a new pc game. Haven't gamed since finishing Valheim and need something to play while world of warcraft The burning Crusade classic launches. 

Otherwise I might dive back in to my old wow habits, and the last WoW Classic launch already cost me 2000 hours and progress in the gym. 

I feel like it’s always a war between the body and the brain, and the body is going to win- rest is as important as training! 
what are you going to play? I’m a PS4 and Nintendo Switch gamer, but I’m often jealous of my PC counterparts on cross-console games. They can change direction SO much faster than I can...

19 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

I feel like it’s always a war between the body and the brain, and the body is going to win- rest is as important as training! 
what are you going to play? I’m a PS4 and Nintendo Switch gamer, but I’m often jealous of my PC counterparts on cross-console games. They can change direction SO much faster than I can...

Yeah, you're right. Taking the break gave some extra energy put into making some workout videos and having a good max-effort session.

Still no idea what to play, been searching for quite some time. I can't play things casually, it's either full-throttle addiction or nothing at all, so a game really needs to grab my full attention, which is rare.

Bench Press
20kg x 30
40kg x 20
60kg x 12
70kg x 10
80kg x 8
90kg x 6
100kg x 4
105kg x 2
110kg x 2
Warmup End
120kg x 4
100kg x 12 in Video

Pull ups

Close Grip
100kg x 4
100kg + 10kg x 4
100kg + 20kg x 4
100kg + 30kg x 4
100kg + 40kg x 2
100kg + 50kg x 3 in Video

Regular Grip
100kg x 3
100kg + 10kg x 3
100kg + 20kg x 2
100kg + 30kg x 5 in Video

Wide Grip
100kg x 11
100kg x 10

VIdeos

bench 220lbs x 12

Spoiler

pull ups regular grip 66lbs x 5

Spoiler

pull ups close grip 110lbs x 3

Spoiler

• That's Metal 1

Today is a day off work and I'm randomly grumpy as hell, don't want to do anything, talk to anyone or even cook breakfast/lunch. Great timing, mind and body. 

Decided to go on a short walk and grab a large coffee, perhaps the synapses just need some help in starting to fire. So far it's not helping though. 

I did sign up on a dating app after a lockdown induced break but it's so much work to find someone like-minded when you're a metalhead nerd with slightly nihilistic tendencies. So despite seeing interest, I can't find the energy to even start matching and writing. The experience will not be enjoyable or worthwhile if the desire isn't even there on my part, I guess. I would vastly prefer finding someone at yoga class, bouldering, board game nights, in hiking groups or other shared interests but they're all still outlawed in Germany. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Hangrybear said:

I did sign up on a dating app after a lockdown induced break but it's so much work to find someone like-minded when you're a metalhead nerd with slightly nihilistic tendencies. So despite seeing interest, I can't find the energy to even start matching and writing. The experience will not be enjoyable or worthwhile if the desire isn't even there on my part, I guess. I would vastly prefer finding someone at yoga class, bouldering, board game nights, in hiking groups or other shared interests but they're all still outlawed in Germany. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I met my other half on a dating app too - I totally led with the nerd aspect and leant into to to weed people out as early as possible.  Still gotta be worth a try!

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: #OperationWeddingSuit

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

38 minutes ago, Big_Show said:

I met my other half on a dating app too - I totally led with the nerd aspect and leant into to to weed people out as early as possible.  Still gotta be worth a try!

Okay, I'll trust the big man and give it a try, with some patience and time sprinkled on top. Worst case I just build some conversation skills and get a few dinners out of it which cannot hurt as an introverted coder.

• Like 5

Okay the short walk went on a bit longer but it fixed my mood and I talked to a couple girls as well. Not the worst day.  47 days binge free. The urges are way less severe and require less radical strategies to combat. I don't have the healthiest coping strategies to avoid binging but it would continue to ruin my life if left unchecked. Going to aim for 100 days at least but know fully well that I'll binge again. And that's fine. I've learnt that I can go two days of bingeing and retain the ability to bounce back. 

Still allow myself to go up to 20% over calories, when necessary. It's important to not think in binary pass/fail terms when it comes to eating disorder recovery, but rather to make healthier choices consistently but not exclusively. It adds up over time. 

Training Thursday:
45min Shoulder, Tricep
190min Walk
15min Foam Rolling
20min Stretching
20min Accupressure Mat
=4hr50min

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Hangrybear said:

I guess. I would vastly prefer finding someone at yoga class, bouldering, board game nights, in hiking groups or other shared interests but they're all still outlawed in Germany. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh, you're here in Germany! So am I. Hallo!

Because you are in Germany, here is a thing: someone told me yesterday about a programme that matches people and doctors for short-notice appointments to get vaccinated. You just enter your email and PLZ and they put you on a list and try to match you. If you're interested. https://www.sofort-impfen.de/

8 hours ago, Hangrybear said:

Okay, I'll trust the big man and give it a try, with some patience and time sprinkled on top. Worst case I just build some conversation skills and get a few dinners out of it which cannot hurt as an introverted coder.

Right. I didn't want to date but my father told me I wouldn't meet anyone nice if I didn't meet anyone. But like detective work, it's 90% ruling suspects OUT.

6 hours ago, Hangrybear said:

Okay the short walk went on a bit longer but it fixed my mood and I talked to a couple girls as well. Not the worst day.  47 days binge free. The urges are way less severe and require less radical strategies to combat. I don't have the healthiest coping strategies to avoid binging but it would continue to ruin my life if left unchecked. Going to aim for 100 days at least but know fully well that I'll binge again. And that's fine. I've learnt that I can go two days of bingeing and retain the ability to bounce back. 

Still allow myself to go up to 20% over calories, when necessary. It's important to not think in binary pass/fail terms when it comes to eating disorder recovery, but rather to make healthier choices consistently but not exclusively. It adds up over time.

This is wonderful. I hope you have a long stretch with no binges. And if it does happen, I hope it's not too severe, and that you quickly realise you can stop and bounce back, like you said. Sounds like you're on a really good path.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

On 5/14/2021 at 5:45 AM, Harriet said:

Because you are in Germany, here is a thing: someone told me yesterday about a programme that matches people and doctors for short-notice appointments to get vaccinated. You just enter your email and PLZ and they put you on a list and try to match you. If you're interested. https://www.sofort-impfen.de/

Sweet. Signed up there now, just waiting on the availability of the better vaccines to improve.  I'd rather wait for the most effective ones as I don't have any severe risk factors. Not looking forward to having fever sweats and the lack of workout capacity for a day but it's well worth the inconvenience. 

On 5/14/2021 at 5:49 AM, Keladris said:

Just here to spread some hype! You got this :)

Welcome and thanks for the support, it's appreciated. And grats on the Pfizer. Back to working out? 

• Like 2

Today has been awful. Zero desire to do any single activity, I can feel depressive symptoms creeping back in, as they have a couple times when realizing the continued monotonous lifestyle this lockdown allows. Most of my friends just drink beer in the evenings, order takeout and spend mornings in bed, I'm tired of that lifestyle and prefer to focus on my health, well-being and athletic performance. I do, however, have zero friends into my different sports. Wanted to find some after moving cities but got stopped by the pandemic.

95% of the time when feeling like this, I just force my ass out of bed, walk somewhere, do my training regimen and it gets better. But the walk today was terrible as well. Felt hypoglycemic and grumpy the entire time, protein bars and coffee didn't help. I finished the 25.000 steps and decided to buy food and eat my emotions. Since I've done 5 hours of training today my TDEE is at 4500kcal which means I can follow my eating disorder behavior without going over calories, so I suppose it's not a binge?

I'm so aware of the calories, and the havoc problematic foods cause on my gut that I bought mostly healthy food that I'm now eating in a controlled manner throughout the day. The consequence is I'm not even getting the emotional numbing effect I'd like to have from binge eating, where I'd be ignoring life and shutting off all rational thought for a night seeking solely mouth pleasure. 

I guess you can call this progress, since I'm sacrificing short-term happiness, allowing myself to feel the pain rather than numb it. Staying within exercise and calorie goals means investing into my long-term happiness, as it leads to a better body, a more disciplined mind and the realization I can overcome difficulties. 

These are the most important days, but I sure hope these hours of quiet desperation pay out in the end. 

Training Friday:
80min Chest, Tricep, Back
80min Walk
40min Biking Outdoor
15min Foam Rolling
15min Stretching
30min Accupressure Mat
=4hr20min

Training Saturday:

45min Legs 
210min Walk
15min Core 
30min Hiking Prehab 
=5hr 

• Like 2

So this week went alright.

My calories were higher than the prior weeks, the weigh-in later in the day will likely come in without significant progress.

Which is fine, because a prolonged deficit will ultimately lead to a reduction in metabolism activity.

My theory is that occasionally eating above maintenance or at maintenance for brief stints signals the body that it's in fact not in starvation mode

and thus does not need to inhibit sympathetic activity, downregulate the thyroid, gonads and adrenal glands. I guess you could call this metabolic

flexibility, but I will have to do more reading on this, just heard about it in passing and went with it.

1076271740_3week1.png.a9683dc6013987f98f8993c1d09fff9c.png

-------------------------------------------

Adaptive thermogenesis in humans - 2013

I've read an interesting study wherein subjects lost 10% of their body-weight, which in turn lead to a 15% reduction in their  TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).

Surprisingly, this was almost entirely because of a reduction in NREE (non-rest EE),   meaning the calories burnt by any activity other than strictly lying down.

REE (resting energy expenditure) remained either unchanged or decreased only slightly.

Here are some of the main findings I took out of that, you might find these interesting:

• The thyroid and its associated hormones increase heart rate, blood pressure and the individual’s perceived energy levels. After a 10% weight loss, TRH (thyroid regulating hormone) is decreased by 18% and the respective thyroid hormones T3 by 7% and T4 by 9%. 

• Following weight-loss sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight) activity is decreased and parasympathetic (rest and digest) activity is increased, leading to a reduction of blood pressure and heart rate, as well as thyroid output. 

• Following weight loss people are both hungrier (willing to eat more often) and less satiated (willing to eat more per meal). Even during maintenance of a reduced weight, satiety remains diminished despite the decline in energy expenditure due to leptin’s linear correlation with body fat.

• The efficiency of muscle recruitment during stationary cycling exercise increased by 20% after a 10% weight-loss, meaning that the calories burnt to generate 1 unit of power decreased by 20%. This can explain some of the reduction of NREE.

• Administration of leptin to leptin-deficient rodents and humans in doses that restore circulating leptin concentrations to their physiological range increases energy expenditure decreases energy intake, increases sympathetic nervous system activity and normalizes adrenal, thyroid, and gonadal function to pre-weight-loss levels. Yet, in humans (lean or obese) who are not leptin-deficient, induction of weight loss requires doses of leptin that produce plasma leptin concentrations over 10 times normal.

• Like 1

Another study dealing with metabolic adaptation to weight loss comes to the conclusion that a moderate deficit coupled with exercise is the most protective of metabolic function.

The group with very low calories lost over 500kcal of their daily expenditure after just a couple months. Granted, they did no exercise and likely lost a lot of muscle mass as well. 

The higher the deficit, the lower your TDEE will be during maintenance, making restrictive diets absolutely deadly for long-term weight-loss.

I've made these same mistakes for years. I've done one meal a day, severe deficits, protein sparing modified fasts and other nonsense and it always lead to a rebound.

I see it a lot in this forum as well, with grown men heavier than me eating less than 2000kcal and I wish they had learned all the hard lessons I've learnt by wasting years of my life dieting too aggressively and downregulating my metabolism.

My current deficit is still too high at around 800kcal, and I'll try to get closer to 600kcal in the next weeks.

Summary of the study can be seen in the spoiler.

Spoiler

Metabolic and thermogenetic adaptations following weight-loss - 2009

(10.1038/ijo.2010.184 | https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3673773/)

The changes to TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) were studied following weight-loss and maintenance phases after 3 and 6 months in a strictly controlled and monitored setting.

The groups studied were overweight, but not obese, healthy adults and they were assigned different lifestyles and checked after three (M3) and six (M6) months of dieting:

CR = 25% caloric restriction
CR+EX = 12.5% caloric restriction & 12.5% cardio
LCD =  under 1000kcal per day for 3 months followed by maintenance for 3 months

weight-loss-adaptation-exercise.png.05e56cb0eaa859cc416a3ada53add2b6.png

A severe restriction in calories lead in the LCD group to the highest reduction in TDEE, of which the majority cannot be explained by reduced weight alone. No reduction was observed in the group with a moderate deficit and added exercise.  

Metabolic adaptation in response to a caloric deficit leading to reduced expenditure beyond the expected rate can be observed and is largely due to reduced calories burnt through activity.The body reacts to a caloric deficit with a reduction in physical activity in order to conserve energy.

This behavioral adaptation can be involuntary and is not only limited to exercise, but can be reduced hand movement, gestures during conversations and subconscious physical output. In addition, physical activity burns less energy as skeletal muscle gains efficiency due to having to move less mass.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Hangrybear said:

My calories were higher than the prior weeks, the weigh-in later in the day will likely come in without significant progress.

Alright, just weighed-in. Always do it sunday afternoon before breaking my fast.

As expected, some water retention and bloating coupled with higher caloric intake didn't lead to much progress this week.

7weekDIetProgress.png.f3ea90b5612192ccaa7ee82cb72024ef.png

Your home gym looks pretty righteous - wish I had a set up like that. Is that supposed to be an image of Arnold behind the bench? Also, looking very strong, and making awesome progress on the mindset front of putting forth your long term goals first. Priorities are huge, even when they may feel very painful in the moment. I'd shrug off the week 1 weight loss progress as you will continue to do well if you are consistent about your long term objectives.

On 5/13/2021 at 7:57 AM, Hangrybear said:

Today is a day off work and I'm randomly grumpy as hell, don't want to do anything, talk to anyone or even cook breakfast/lunch. Great timing, mind and body. 

Decided to go on a short walk and grab a large coffee, perhaps the synapses just need some help in starting to fire. So far it's not helping though. 

This is relatable for a lot here I'm sure. As a fellow metalhead, and also somewhat of a nihilist myself, I understand this. I'm looking forward to trying to go to some local groups like disc golf and ultimate groups to meet people.

goodfellas GIF

I hope that those things are allowed in Germany soon. It must be taking a real mental toll on people, especially since some of them can be done outdoors, which is supposedly quite safe, in terms of the virus.

22 hours ago, Hangrybear said:

Sweet. Signed up there now, just waiting on the availability of the better vaccines to improve.  I'd rather wait for the most effective ones as I don't have any severe risk factors. Not looking forward to having fever sweats and the lack of workout capacity for a day but it's well worth the inconvenience. 

I had the Moderna vaccine and didn't have really any side effects other than a mild tiredness the day of both doses, and sore arm for both. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing....

• Like 1

"Flying is easy, its landing that's hard" - Sev

43 minutes ago, SkindianaBones said:

Your home gym looks pretty righteous - wish I had a set up like that. Is that supposed to be an image of Arnold behind the bench?

Back in March of 2020 all barbells were sold out, including in the internet so I called a local manufacturer of heating and utility pipes. We found a pipe with 48mm diameter that could handle 51mm Olympic weight plates. Only the cheapest variety of weights were in stock,  those took 8 weeks to deliver, stank like chemicals for over a year and the cheap material colored anything it touched. But it allowed me to do basic movements without degenerating physically. This was a lifeline for lockdown 1.

As I expected lockdown 2 to last half a year, I couldn't handle the thought of only doing basic movements with my heating pipes throughout winter.  In November 2020  I literally bought the last barbell in an enormous gym equipment store. Bought their last remaining weight plates as well and ferried it all home by taxi. This means I struggled to pay rent for a couple months but it was well worth it. I'd be 30% bodyfat and 10kg heavier than now because my mind was incapable of coming to terms with just barely maintaining without any progress. I am very blessed to have had the spare cash and the luck to grab the last pieces. 

The picture is Arnold. Found it online, printed it on 12 transparent DinA4 plastic pages, overlaid them above a canvas and used charcoal paper to trace the lines. Afterward some acrylic paint to thicken the traced lines. Basically like an art project for a 10 year old but quite happy with the result. 

Thanks a lot for your kind words SkindianaBones, it's much appreciated as I've been really down this week. Today everything is looking better and I'm excited to be an active member of this community and give the support back ! ❤️

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

I imagine that the home gym pieces were certainly a lifesaver. I wish I would have had some instead of just the kettlebell I had. I lost a lot of weight and strength but we are coming back to it.

Also, i would say that it is a bit more than a 10 year old's art project, but then again I have zero artistic ability whatsoever.

Keep up the good work Hangry!

• Like 1

"Flying is easy, its landing that's hard" - Sev

I really like your approach to weight loss- that study you shared was a great example! “Eat less, do more” as the old adage goes, quickly leads to nowhere else to go, whereas a moderate deficit gives a lot more room to work. 
Seeing women (and even some men! 😖) eating 900 or 1200 calories a day in pursuit of swimsuit model status is absolutely terrible. 

I’m sorry yesterday was such a hard day for you, but way to go in managing yourself in a positive way, and I’m glad today is better! 

• Like 1

Today was a super lazy day initially. Didn't want to do anything up until 8pm, that's when I forced myself to workout and it ended up being 2.5hours and 1500kcal burnt.

This huge salad is tasting so well right now lol. Sometimes you just have to make that very important decision to stand up and start the workout, it's always easier once it's going. 

Training Sunday:
Rest

Training Monday:
150min Upper Body Workout

111 sets /w 6 reps

Bench Press
80kg x 6 reps for 10 sets

Bench press [close grip]
70kg x 6 reps for 14 sets

Pull ups [regular grip]
bodyweight x 6 reps for 31 sets

Lateral shoulder raise
12.5kg x 6 reps for 25 sets

Dumbbell Bicep Curls
12.5kg x 6 reps for 16 sets

Captain of Crush Trainer
45kg x 6 reps for 15 sets

= 666 reps / 36.305kg moved

Spoiler

502048896_Screenshot_20210517-231258_PolarBeat.jpg.989b1a85dd6b4127eb590cd8091ba849.jpg

• Like 4
On 5/16/2021 at 1:55 PM, Hangrybear said:

Another study dealing with metabolic adaptation to weight loss comes to the conclusion that a moderate deficit coupled with exercise is the most protective of metabolic function.

The group with very low calories lost over 500kcal of their daily expenditure after just a couple months. Granted, they did no exercise and likely lost a lot of muscle mass as well. 

The higher the deficit, the lower your TDEE will be during maintenance, making restrictive diets absolutely deadly for long-term weight-loss.

I've made these same mistakes for years. I've done one meal a day, severe deficits, protein sparing modified fasts and other nonsense and it always lead to a rebound.

I see it a lot in this forum as well, with grown men heavier than me eating less than 2000kcal and I wish they had learned all the hard lessons I've learnt by wasting years of my life dieting too aggressively and downregulating my metabolism.

My current deficit is still too high at around 800kcal, and I'll try to get closer to 600kcal in the next weeks.

Summary of the study can be seen in the spoiler.

An interesting study. My problem with aggressive dieting was the emotional/hunger changes. Very unhelpful. I'm glad we're both approaching it more prudently this time.

• Like 1

5 days off work, played a round of a new board game  with some friends today, it's called Wingspan and very wholesome, you breed and collect birds and try to accumulate synergistic effects to trigger while you gather more food for the birbs in your collection.

Gonna meet someone to paint miniatures with acrylic colors this weekend and otherwise do more low-impact training to reduce my cortisol levels. Intense max effort workouts tend to inhibit good sleep and are a pain to recover from, gonna use them more sparingly and increase sustainable exercise output such as listed in the following.

Training Tuesday:
270min Walk
20min Hiking Prehab
10min Foam Roll
30min Accupressure Mat
=5hr30min

Training Wednesday :
Rest

Training Thursday:
120min Walk
75min Hiking Prehab
15min Foam Roll
15min Core
=3hr45min

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Hangrybear said:

5 days off work, played a round of a new board game  with some friends today, it's called Wingspan and very wholesome, you breed and collect birds and try to accumulate synergistic effects to trigger while you gather more food for the birbs in your collection.

Gonna meet someone to paint miniatures with acrylic colors this weekend and otherwise do more low-impact training to reduce my cortisol levels. Intense max effort workouts tend to inhibit good sleep and are a pain to recover from, gonna use them more sparingly and increase sustainable exercise output such as listed in the following.

Birbs and painting sound lovely. Much relaxation and recovery to you.

• Like 1