The Roadside Inn: General Chatter

On 6/26/2021 at 1:02 PM, Elennare said:

I shouldn't be that upset about it, but I am.

I would be upset about dropping half a drink too. I once rode my skateboard to pick up some coffee and hit a big crack on the pavement on the way home. By some stroke of luck/physical coordination, I did not fall or drop the drink, but some of it did splash out and even that minor loss was a noooooooooooooooo moment.

I went to do a belated round of No Monk Left Behind, and found that this challenge, we had an unusually high number of people languishing unloved since the start of the challenge. So I decided everyone was temporarily a monk.

Perhaps anyone who's feeling, or wants to get into, the True Challenge Spirit could pop back to the last page once in a while and make sure we're not leaving anyone hanging for over a week. I tried to get most of them; there are a few still back there, but there are also a lot of people drifting backwards on page two and three after I got to them who could use more pile-on.

democratic national convention family GIF by Election 2016

• Like 9

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 7/8/2021 at 2:25 PM, sarakingdom said:

Perhaps anyone who's feeling, or wants to get into, the True Challenge Spirit could pop back to the last page once in a while and make sure we're not leaving anyone hanging for over a week. I tried to get most of them; there are a few still back there, but there are also a lot of people drifting backwards on page two and three after I got to them who could use more pile-on.

The other thing I've learned we can do is click the "Sort by" drop-down in the upper right and resort posts by the number of replies they've received, and if you go to the last page, you'll find all the people who've only had one or two.

A lot of the people on the last pages are respawners who haven't been around since 2014, so I think we're figuring they know their way around, but they could probably use someone to bring them a drink and show them where the chips and dip are kept these days.

• Like 5

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

The other thing I've learned we can do is click the "Sort by" drop-down in the upper right and resort posts by the number of replies they've received, and if you go to the last page, you'll find all the people who've only had one or two.

Sweet! I will do that.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 7/7/2021 at 6:20 PM, Rhovaniel said:

Hello everyone. I'll just be over here, sipping a cold beer and lurking in the background. Rolling for stealth...

I will oh-so-stealthily sneak to your table. Or under it, depending on what the dice have to say...

• Like 4

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

1 hour ago, iatetheyeti said:

I will oh-so-stealthily sneak to your table. Or under it, depending on what the dice have to say...

I rolled my shiny orange d20... stealth 13. Looks like I failed my stealth check and gained a companion :D 

Spoiler

No, I did not give myself any modifiers for Dexterity or proficiency... my current abilities would probably be  a -1 

• Like 3

"What does your heart tell you?" - Aragorn

Epic Quest: In the Footsteps of the Dúnedain: Aragorn's Journey

Current Challenge: Rhovaniel looks Inwards, to change Outwards

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26

On 7/7/2021 at 10:20 AM, Rhovaniel said:

Hello everyone. I'll just be over here, sipping a cold beer and lurking in the background. Rolling for stealth...

EG sees Rho in the corner, starts waving enthusiastically,"Rho you're back" she exclaims yelling across the room. Only then does she notice that Rho was trying to hide in the corner, and is now trying to shush her. Oops, EG, quietly gives Rho a sheepish grin and  whispers" I missed you, glad to see you."

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

52 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

EG sees Rho in the corner, starts waving enthusiastically,"Rho you're back" she exclaims yelling across the room. Only then does she notice that Rho was trying to hide in the corner, and is now trying to shush her. Oops, EG, quietly gives Rho a sheepish grin and  whispers" I missed you, glad to see you."

Giving up her attempts to sit unnoticed in the corner, Rho breaks into a wide grin and waves EG over to an empty chair. "Missed you too. Somehow, no matter how far my feet manage to wander, I always make it back home."

• Like 5

"What does your heart tell you?" - Aragorn

Epic Quest: In the Footsteps of the Dúnedain: Aragorn's Journey

Current Challenge: Rhovaniel looks Inwards, to change Outwards

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26

*gets up on table and taps mug with spoon* All right, nerds! I have STAT QUESTIONS!! I'm building a character for the next challenge and am trying to decide which things to include and how to stat them, so, what do you think?

Endurance — STR or CON?

Solid baseline (ie physical therapy, posture correction, strengthening joints, back pain management) — STR or CON?

Flexibility — DEX or CON?

Playing an instrument — DEX or CHA?

Drawing — DEX or CHA?

20 minutes ago, foxinthenorth said:

*gets up on table and taps mug with spoon* All right, nerds! I have STAT QUESTIONS!! I'm building a character for the next challenge and am trying to decide which things to include and how to stat them, so, what do you think?

Endurance — STR or CON?

Solid baseline (ie physical therapy, posture correction, strengthening joints, back pain management) — STR or CON?

Drawing — DEX or CHA?

I count endurance as CON. And flexibility as DEX. Anything artistic I put under CHA. That’s my take at least.

The solid baseline stuff I think is a bit more complicated. Each thing might go into a different category depending on what it does and what it’s working towards?

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

46 minutes ago, foxinthenorth said:

Endurance — STR or CON?

Drawing — DEX or CHA?

Based on 20 years of playing D&D: Endurance is CON, Flexibility is DEX, playing an instrument is CHA. I'd be inclined to put drawing as CHA as well, but in D&D I think it would actually be an INT (the Craft - calligraphy skill is INT)

I agree with @zeroh13 that the solid baseline is more complicated. I would say a combination of DEX and STR for the examples you listed, but if you wanted to include cardiovascular health (blood pressure, resting heart rate) that would be CON

*whew* something I can actually nerd about :P 

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1
3 hours ago, Maigs said:

I'd be inclined to put drawing as CHA as well, but in D&D I think it would actually be an INT (the Craft - calligraphy skill is INT)

You made me curious about this, so I went and looked it up in 5E. I have the PDF on my phone, so this was just the most convenient. Ability and skill checks do work a little different than in earlier editions. HOWEVER, what I found in this player’s guide actually makes a lot of intuitive sense to me.

Basically, it says that tools require a broad set of knowledge, and so different actions can use different ability scores. It gives an example of woodworking. You could need to make a dex check for doing fine details, but a str check for making cuts into hard wood. It doesn’t mention cha, BUT, I think we can expand on their example and say that you can use cha for coming up with an artistic vision. Like, are you going to do a carving of a bear just standing (a lower cha check), or do you envision a carving of a bear getting into a beehive (a higher cha check)?

And for art, maybe doing something in a particular style could be an int check! Cause you have to be knowledgeable about the style first.

#d&dnerding

• That's Metal 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

7 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

I count endurance as CON. And flexibility as DEX. Anything artistic I put under CHA. That’s my take at least.

The solid baseline stuff I think is a bit more complicated. Each thing might go into a different category depending on what it does and what it’s working towards?

6 hours ago, Maigs said:

I agree with @zeroh13 that the solid baseline is more complicated. I would say a combination of DEX and STR for the examples you listed, but if you wanted to include cardiovascular health (blood pressure, resting heart rate) that would be CON

*whew* something I can actually nerd about :P 

Ooh so this brings up a good idea — I could make a list of exercises that contribute to that stronger baseline, and note what stat it contributes to, and then I can choose what to focus on each challenge to ensure each stat has something and I'm always working on basics like core strength and hip mobility. Flexible routines and structures is one of the things I'm working on so I like this.

3 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

You made me curious about this, so I went and looked it up in 5E. I have the PDF on my phone, so this was just the most convenient. Ability and skill checks do work a little different than in earlier editions. HOWEVER, what I found in this player’s guide actually makes a lot of intuitive sense to me.

Basically, it says that tools require a broad set of knowledge, and so different actions can use different ability scores. It gives an example of woodworking. You could need to make a dex check for doing fine details, but a str check for making cuts into hard wood. It doesn’t mention cha, BUT, I think we can expand on their example and say that you can use cha for coming up with an artistic vision. Like, are you going to do a carving of a bear just standing (a lower cha check), or do you envision a carving of a bear getting into a beehive (a higher cha check)?

And for art, maybe doing something in a particular style could be an int check! Cause you have to be knowledgeable about the style first.

#d&dnerding

This is also interesting. I think at this stage, based on this idea, I would put drawing under DEX because my primary goal at the moment is better hand-eye connection, improving my ability to render forms accurately...very technical at this stage. I can see a pretty compelling argument for INT, though, as it also involves studying forms, especially figure drawing that benefits from some knowledge of anatomy in addition to just observing.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mr_Willes said:

See I KNEW there was some kind of plot against me to keep me from these. If they can know where they are i think it's only fair i get told too!

I'm waiting for you to make it worth my while, mijn vriend. Belgian chocolate is a good basic international currency, but I'm also open to other, more original, forms of barter.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Belgian chocolate is a good basic international currency

Indeed. As is their beer. 

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

36 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Indeed. As is their beer. 

I do not accept currencies containing allergens. Too unstable. They all too often cause the bottom to drop out of the market.

• Like 1