Salinger's forty first challenge!

Hello all. 

4.20am here, birds already singing and the sky is lighting up slowly. Its very warm but a slight cool breeze coming through the open back door. Another hot one is forecast today!!

Yesterday was pretty nice :)  Rox still not well but i looked after her. Set the umbrella up so it gave her shade where she sat outside, and got a bucket of icey water for her feet haha to keep her cool. Brought her drinks and fed her ❤️ 

We did have a bbq, late in the eve when it cooled down a bit. Tasty chicken and halloumi, and a burger and salad mmmmm. 

I didnt do MUCH work but did a bit. Should do more today really...

Roxy's mum is popping by, with her younger sister (12) she hasnt seen the house yet so a quick tidy is needed this morning before she arrives, which will likely be 10.30am! 

After that, i will do work, plan the upcoming week, relax as well...

When it is hot out and sunny, i start to really get so much self hatred (more so than usual) seeing my friends going wild swimming and hanging out in swimsuits. etc yet here i am boiling hot, barely showing any skin due to the utter shame i feel towards my body. 

My friend had a hen party yesterday, and i declined the invite because im too embarrassed by my weight. And feeling totally shameful and awkward. They went on a boat - full of skinny pretty girls. SO glad i declined, i would have felt so awful :(

I know I talk so much about this, yet do NOTHING about it. I mean, if i dedicated one month to regular exercise id likely lose weight...i dont know what the fuck is wrong with me tbh. I complain and cry and hate myself, yet do nothing to change that. 

I guess, I have dedicated myself to it so many times, ive calorie counted, ive used protein shakes, ive hammered the gym etc, and i lose maybe 5lb tops, give up, pile on more weight. 

My medication DEFINITELY slows my metabolism down, it definitely makes it so much harder to lose weight. I hate it. But i rely on it, to stay relatively sane :( catch 22. 

I also feel so guilty for Rox, she's beautiful, slim, amazing...and she has me by her side. YUK. 

Anyway, sorry for this post, miserable and hard on myself. 

Just need to talk to someone about these feelings. Thanks for reading xx

This is your early morning call reminding you that your worth isn't based on what the scales say. I know you know this but it bears repeating! The people who matter to you aren't thinking any less of you because of your metabolism. 

That said, I'm not going to tell you to stay as you are because being healthier is a good thing in itself. (otherwise we wouldn't be on this site after all!) So I guess the trick is to be thinking "I'm going to lose weight because I'll be happier and healthier that way" and not "I have to lose weight because (...Insert guilt-laden phrase here...)" 

You've talked about "dedicating a month" to losing weight, and I guess that would be a pretty intense month. Is that realistic? Even if you did succeed, if you then reverted to your normal routine afterwards it wouldn't take long to come back. Maybe a less intense approach is needed. Maybe  just changing small things at first and build from there 

So, for example maybe swap a daily beer for a daily water. Make it nice water though - San Pellegrino with ice and lemon, say. I know it's more expensive than tap water but it's cheaper than beer. Or if you are driving to and from the studio, maybe walk or cycle instead (if it's near enough that that isn't going to leave you exhausted and sweaty)... Would Rox fit in one of those child seats? No? Oh well, maybe not that journey then. ☺️

I'm not sure if those are remotely realistic, just throwing out some ideas. You know yourself best, so you can probably think of some better ones. Light cardio like walking and ordinary, sedate, road cycling will raise your metabolism a bit, counteracting the pills and shouldn't be too taxing if you're still feeling the effects of long covid.

The aim is to make a small, realistic change, let it become a daily habit and then maybe when it seems normal, look to build on it by changing something else, shifting into a higher gear 

It won't help with wild swimming and hen parties this summer but maybe if you aim for next summer you'll be able to take it slowly and make a more sustainable change? 

Anyway, random thoughts while I munch my morning muesli. Obviously, I'm not the world's expert on fitness. A few weeks ago I could barely out my socks on for God's sake, but maybe there's something here you can apply, and if there isn't, no harm done. Everyone's different. 

And either way, have a good Sunday. 

• Like 2

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

1 minute ago, 18ck said:

because I'll be happier and healthier

I might not have phrased this brilliantly. "Happier" not because thin people are happy or because they are better people, but because there's something about being able to move around in the world more freely, with less effort and encumbrance that just gives us (well, me anyway - maybe I am generalising) a boost in mood. Oh, I just climbed those stairs and I'm not sweating. Oh, I just put my socks on without needing to sit down and sort of lasso my big toe with the opening. Everything is just that bit less of a pain. And that's a good feeling. 

• Like 1

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Thank you @18ck for your post.

means a lot and I needed that reminder about self worth.

yes small changes is good idea. Perhaps one day per week I venture to the gym and do 90 mins. 

I feel like I need to go to the gym instead of basic walking for cycling at the moment - unsure why and can’t explain. Just having a space, a venue to exercise, I feel may help me be stricter with myself . More disciplined?! 

I’ll pick a day - probably Wednesdays. I must do it that day, and I can obviously go other days if I fancy it....but Wednesday - no excuses.

that said -this week the gym by me is closed for refurbishment - but I will cycle somewhere instead ...

diet is basically ok, could defo be cleaner but i eat a lot of salad and vegg and proteins .... will cut down on snacks.

oh and alcohol. Defo not a daily occurance anymore.

maybe drink one or two times a week at the moment. Will cut down on the amount on that eve...

but yeah - been here before... demoralising.

but trying to be kinder to myself.

its so lovely and hot right now at 7:30am, I have Bon Iver playing quietly, drinking tea and sat in the sun watching Jackson eat grass haha 

Rox just got up I can hear her - she’s put the shower on, think I’ll get her a cuppa for when she comes down :) 

xx

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Salinger said:

I’ll pick a day - probably Wednesdays. I must do it that day, and I can obviously go other days if I fancy it....but Wednesday - no excuses.

Yep, that's the way. If weekly gym visits seem like the most manageable solution for you then picking a fixed day is the best way to stop yourself going "i'll do it tomorrow" every day until you basically lose the habit completely. 

Get it in your phone calendar with a reminder so you don't schedule anything the same day, tell everyone so they know its your gym day and don't try to lure you away to some football-and-crisps-based debauchery and derail your plans. 

🏋️

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Salinger said:

yes small changes is good idea. Perhaps one day per week I venture to the gym and do 90 mins. 

I wouldn't consider 90 minutes a small change. I think 90 minutes is the low self-worth, ashamed part of your brain trying to punish you. 90 minutes is not an amateur sort of gym time, let alone a beginner recovering-strength sort of gym time.

I think that's the kind of thing you may need to watch for. A lot of your feelings and plans about exercise seem to be your brain trying to punish you for what you look like. An intense month to lose it all, 90 minutes in the gym, and so on. These aren't plans designed to solve the problem, they're more like ultimatums about proving you have value, and that's not a healthy way to approach exercise.

In thinking about being kind to yourself, what is the literal kindest exercise you can give your body? What are its actual needs right now, what makes it feel good? What are its weaknesses and strengths right now? What sort of thing can you load up with extra wins for your mental health and so on, to get the most out of your exercise time?

14 hours ago, Salinger said:

I feel like I need to go to the gym instead of basic walking for cycling at the moment - unsure why and can’t explain. Just having a space, a venue to exercise, I feel may help me be stricter with myself . More disciplined?! 

This may be the case, or it may be your brain trying to stall. I think it's really common for people to think the next thing they try (or, more often, buy) will fix it all for them, and then the next thing, and the next. And I think there's a little of that pattern in how you approach exercise, enough that I question whether this is true, or your brain placing all its hope on the next thing to avoid doing the current thing. So... maybe. There is something to having a venue associated with an activity. But be open to the possibility that this feeling is misleading, and there isn't a thing that's going to make the discipline easier.

Here's the thing, Sal. You are good enough. You are enough. You have enough. You don't need to buy more stuff, try more things, do more, be more. You are good enough, right now. You don't believe it, and that's going to make you chase the next thing that will fix how you feel, or make the next big commitment to prove you really are good enough, but they won't change the feeling of not being enough, because the feeling is false. You are enough. You need to stop trusting the feeling that says you're not. Just go for a walk. Five minutes. Around the block. It's good enough for today. You're good enough. You have everything you need, because you are enough.

• Like 5

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

21 hours ago, 18ck said:

Yep, that's the way. If weekly gym visits seem like the most manageable solution for you then picking a fixed day is the best way to stop yourself going "i'll do it tomorrow" every day until you basically lose the habit completely. 

Get it in your phone calendar with a reminder so you don't schedule anything the same day, tell everyone so they know its your gym day and don't try to lure you away to some football-and-crisps-based debauchery and derail your plans. 

🏋️

Yep!! ❤️ xx

16 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I'm glad you and Rox are recovering! Whew!

fingers crossed for the MFA program!

Thanks Snarky ! xx

6 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

In thinking about being kind to yourself, what is the literal kindest exercise you can give your body? What are its actual needs right now, what makes it feel good? What are its weaknesses and strengths right now? What sort of thing can you load up with extra wins for your mental health and so on, to get the most out of your exercise time?

Hmmmm good questions. 

I will have a think...its sad, i cant initially think of anything .... its needs and strengths, what makes it feel good.

I will think. 

And thank you so so so so so much for this post. Jeeeeez you are one in a million Sara, hope you know that. xx

Hey all .... 5.15am. Man oh man it was HOT yesterday. 

Roxy's mum and little sister came to see the house and we went for lunch. I felt awkward and anxious for a lot of it but Rox said you couldnt tell. I was constantly (in my head) comparing myself to Roxy's ex, wondering if her family liked the ex more, thought Rox deserved more than me etc horrible feelings. :(

In the eve, me and Rox watched Catfish and had pasta and salad. Then got an early night. 

So today, Monday! another week. 

Its going to be very warm again, the poor cats! 

Today's agenda....

- Take Rox to work

- Take medication

- Call the doctors for appointment

- Work on Sick Fest application

- Work on Amper application

- Work on main funding app

- Keep on top of emails

- Buy ice blocks for cool bag

- Water the plants

- Look at local gym prices

- Pick Rox up from work

- Dinner/chill/shower/bed

Lots of work to do today!! These applications need finishing and submitting this week really so need to get on it. 

xx

3 minutes ago, Salinger said:

I will have a think...its sad, i cant initially think of anything .... its needs and strengths, what makes it feel good.

Maybe start with things like:

• when does breathing become painful and how do you improve that without hurting yourself? (For instance, start with a week of doing precisely one minute less than that every day, and then seeing how long you can go before your lungs complain, and moving the goal for the next week.)
  • are there exercise recommendations for mental health improvement that can make the time spent give you double benefit? How about sunshine?
  • are there little daily annoyances that you can do something about, like stiff muscles that could use some stretching?
  • are there things like yoga you can do before bed that help you sleep?
  • are there things you can do with your body that will help nurture you as an artist, or vice versa?

And when you do things, I'd focus on what really feels good about it. Your brain is going to try to make you quit. It made you hate your bike. It made you stop football (I think?). And you genuinely love those things. Your brain is trying to take good things that you love away from you and substitute ways to punish you for not being enough. Understand that, and work on not letting its messages work on you. You do love that stuff. You may not feel it when you think about going to do it, but you need to work on ways to realize you shouldn't trust that feeling and push past that, because that's a big obstacle to doing what you want to do.

So maybe also start with things like: what is something small that I can do anyway, even when my brain says no? What is small and easy enough that I can't find good reasons not to force myself to do it? Maybe it genuinely is that five minute walk. It's true you won't get fit on a five minute walk. (Or on two pushups, or whatever.) But you will shut up your brain when it tells you that you have to do punishing things. It will work gently on your lung capacity if there's some covid going on. It will form the habit of regular exercise, which takes care of a big part of getting regular workouts. And every day you repeat it is teaching that part of your brain to shut up. Even if you're seriously not feeling it, it's five minutes, you can make yourself do five minutes. Also, when you're exercising for five minutes, it's not about the goal, it's about enjoying the activity. It's about taking pleasure in doing it. That's a lot of wins for a very small thing.

When you know your brain tries to punish you with MORE MORE MORE, maybe you start by making yourself do less. A lot less. Learn to stop that punishment. A regular five minutes is a lot more than a regular zero minutes, and part of what you need to do is retrain your brain about exercise. That regular five minutes may be the stepping stone you need to the regular ten minutes, the regular twenty. And that's real workout territory. So instead of thinking about how to do the most you can do and get it all done at once, start thinking of that as a brain trap that you're getting wise to, and maybe start with the least you can do and how to do things over the long term. How to make permanent changes. How to make slow changes. How to make small changes.

Because you are enough. You do not need to be changed. You have worth now, you're not waiting on changing yourself to have value, you're not catching up in a race you're behind on. You have the time to make the most sustainable changes you can. You have the time to make gentle changes that stick. That make you happy. That are fun. That make you glad to get up and do them. Don't let panic or shame drive your goal-setting; they won't make good choices for you. Love your body and your mental health more than that. Do what supports them, what works with them, what is going to help them long-term. And when your mind doesn't believe you, take a deep breath, and make it act like you have value already, and its job is to be kind and supportive. Choose to act with love, even when your emotions say otherwise.

We're heading into week five, and maybe the next challenge is, instead of veering from ALL THE BIKING to ALL THE FOOTBALL to ALL THE GYM, simply do the absolute minimum. One thing. One small thing, that you don't do now. (Maybe it's as little as "put your trainers on when you make your morning cup of tea, and take that cup of tea outside rather than sit indoors".) But really do it. Learn to do it when you don't want to. Learn to do it when you hate yourself. Learn if schedules help. Learn if making it part of another habit helps. Learn how to enjoy it just for what it is, rather than do it because you want it to turn you into someone else. And be gentle with yourself if you find these things hard, because it's not about the difficulty of the exercise, it's about teaching your brain to treat you and exercise very, very differently, and that is hard.

(And get some more damn sleep, because that will help with all of this.) ;)

23 minutes ago, Salinger said:

And thank you so so so so so much for this post. Jeeeeez you are one in a million Sara, hope you know that. xx

Heart Flirting GIF by swerk

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

8 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I wouldn't consider 90 minutes a small change. I think 90 minutes is the low self-worth, ashamed part of your brain trying to punish you. 90 minutes is not an amateur sort of gym time, let alone a beginner recovering-strength sort of gym time.

Mm, I suggested one small thing per day for similar reason. I didn't argue with the ninety minutes because everyone's different, and maybe you're someone who just wants to do the whole week's worth in one lump (!) so who am I to argue? But maybe Sarah's right to push back on you. I dunno. For what it's worth, Steve K was in Insta the other day suggesting this baby steps aporoach: do a five minute walk each day and then you've become someone who does a five minute walk each day and then you can build from there (I'm paraphrasing obvs) 

But ultimately all we can do is make suggestions. Do try and stick to what's realistic though. Don't set out to do something if you don't think, in your heart of hearts that it's achievable. 

• Like 1

I was on my way to point out 90 minutes is no small change! Glad Sara was here. She said it far more eloquently than I could.

You are allowed to start small. 5 minutes walk or bike is fine in the beginning. Then the next week do 10 minutes... Etc. If you feel like throwing in a few jog steps go for it (and I literally mean just a few). I find for me its just not a priority to add more exercise... I want my free time to just be lazy but that doesn't align with the life I want. But for me being lazy is easier and more comfortable. So I need to start shifting the priority and just get to it. But honestly little bits add up and I find that motivating. Last challenge I just went for a hike with my sister 1 time a week for 4ish weeks (30 mins to 1 hr) and I was seeing positive changes in my body. It honestly didn't feel like exercise. I like hiking and being in forests. If you would rather batch together your exercise for now then go for a 15-30 minute walk once per week. Just choose an amount which you can do positively without being too demoralized later. What about doing more football? You said the group was lovely and you had a good time. If you want to "go ham" and have an intense session once a week then the footie would probably be the most positive experience you could have. 

• Like 2

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

Hey @sarakingdom- again.... thank you. Will go through some of your points now....

• when does breathing become painful and how do you improve that without hurting yourself? (For instance, start with a week of doing precisely one minute less than that every day, and then seeing how long you can go before your lungs complain, and moving the goal for the next week.)
  • are there exercise recommendations for mental health improvement that can make the time spent give you double benefit? How about sunshine?
  • are there little daily annoyances that you can do something about, like stiff muscles that could use some stretching?
  • are there things like yoga you can do before bed that help you sleep?
  • are there things you can do with your body that will help nurture you as an artist, or vice versa?

- Breathing is difficult literally right away - i mean i start to breathe heavilly like 2 mins into anything .... even just normal walking :( Thats a good idea about certain time for a week, then increasing that time slowly, the following week. 

- Sunshine for sure - i will look online for mental health things...would likely say yoga? Which i dont particularly enjoy!

- Daily annoyances could include sore lower back. 

So many great things to think about here. !

11 hours ago, Rookie said:

What about doing more football? You said the group was lovely and you had a good time. If you want to "go ham" and have an intense session once a week then the footie would probably be the most positive experience you could have. 

Thank you Rookie, yes i did have a nice time. TBH with you, im anxious about it because of my fitness levels. I KNOW going would help improve that but i feel i need to get some base fitness first...because i get so ashamed and struggle with the self hatred. ugh. xx

8 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Here to second everything Sara said. She nailed it and I have absolutely nothing to add except to say I agree with her completely.

She is amazing ❤️ xx

• Like 1

Hey all. 2am here. Went to bed around 11pm, but its hot and i just couldnt sleep - so i got up. 

Yesterday was ok. Didnt do much work, im seeing a pattern of slipping into being shit at getting work done. Im putting it off because its HARD work and takes a lot of mental energy. But... deadlines are LOOMING. 

SO later today...i need to get on it. 

The heat isnt helping, makes me want to sleep even more (in the day) 

Took Rox to the doctors yesterday and she has a chest infection and on anti biotics for a few days...my cold/cough is improving so hoping i dont also have any infection. Defo loads better than it was. 

I kind of want to begin my new challenge today haha but of course there is still a week to go till the new boards go up :( 

Really like the suggestion from @sarakingdom to sit outside in the morning....especially as its good weather. A morning brew outside would be nice whilst this weather lasts. In fact the past two mornings (before Sara said anything) i HAVE had my breakfast in the garden.... i took this piccy. 

217024570_521595845959662_5924772567959222550_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=KM0IHmlXIU8AX8pIG1h&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-2.fna&oh=785660671e3be0476a3feb603e903a42&oe=60FB5B8A

Lovely hey :)

Maybe ill document each morning?

Anyway. I wonder if i can start my challenge early? @Tanktimus the Encourager can i? 

Thanks for all support xx

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Breathing is difficult literally right away - i mean i start to breathe heavilly like 2 mins into anything .... even just normal walking :( Thats a good idea about certain time for a week, then increasing that time slowly, the following week. 

This sucks, and something that fast and extreme for regular walking is, I suspect, not your fitness level, but covid. Either way, I'd start with what I recommended, a slow regular routine, then see if you made improvements, and then increase it. It's the right way to attempt gentle, steady improvements, no matter what the cause.

Rehab like that might be enough. If you go a long time without seeing improvements, it'll be good to speak to a doctor about it. If you have information going in, like "I spent this many weeks walking this many minutes to improve, and improved this much, but I still have trouble breathing after this many minutes", it will be helpful for them in figuring out what's going on. So treating this like an experiment to document, with written notes in a notebook, would be useful.

Sloth had a lot of lung issues after covid, probably more severe than you, and ended up going to his doctor for treatment, and it helped. Don't be scared of it, they can help.

31 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Sunshine for sure - i will look online for mental health things...would likely say yoga? Which i dont particularly enjoy!

If you don't enjoy it, don't do it! Some people like the meditative angle of yoga, but I don't get that, myself. The recommendations are usually less specific activities and more things like "this many minutes of exercise per day is known to help depression or ADHD or issue of choice" or something like that.

33 minutes ago, Salinger said:

- Daily annoyances could include sore lower back. 

I've had this, too, with all the extra sitting of lockdown. To a degree, movement like walking will help. It might be basically enough, depending on your body. To a degree, stretching helps. One of the things I'm in the process of doing is switching to floor sitting for more of the day, because it keeps the muscles more active than sitting in a chair.

Also, with the exercise before bed question, the usual recommendation is nothing strenuous, only relaxing like yoga (which you hate, so don't do it), but my body loves hard workouts before bed. I'm totally relaxed and sleep like a baby. So this question is partly just listening to your body, not the generic advice. That's part of finding put what it wants from you, and what's working with it instead of against it.

32 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Really like the suggestion from @sarakingdom to sit outside in the morning....especially as its good weather. A morning brew outside would be nice whilst this weather lasts. In fact the past two mornings (before Sara said anything) i HAVE had my breakfast in the garden.... i took this piccy. 

That is gorgeous, and I love the idea of documenting it. And maybe being outside and having your trainers on might, in a few weeks, mean just a short walk around the block after or during your cup of tea. I mean, you're already out there, and it's lovely, and there may be stuff to document there, too. :D But at the very least, sit outside, enjoy the fresh air and the garden.

But maybe not at 4:30 in the morning, what sort of time do you call this, young lady.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Anyway. I wonder if i can start my challenge early? @Tanktimus the Encourager can i? 

Oh, and I forgot this bit, but my approach has always been to assume I can make my challenge fit my needs. If you're ready for a fresh start, I don't see any issue posting a new thread and asking moderator to move it when the new forum is up. I've done it before. But you can also just change the goals on this one and use the final week as a testing week. Adjusting the current challenge to your needs is also legit.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Oh, and I forgot this bit, but my approach has always been to assume I can make my challenge fit my needs. If you're ready for a fresh start, I don't see any issue posting a new thread and asking moderator to move it when the new forum is up. I've done it before. But you can also just change the goals on this one and use the final week as a testing week. Adjusting the current challenge to your needs is also legit.

What I used to do back before I was a mod was write up my next challenge in a google doc sheet and copy paste it into a post when the new forums went up. If too many people start asking mods to move challenges to the new forums we'll have to start saying no.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

You had Covid and now walking makes you breathe hard?  Here’s my unasked for advice, fuck the gym.  Walking is where your fitness is right now, work on that on the days when you feel good.  It’s a long recovery and you can only do what you can do.  

Good luck with it.  I’ll try to pop in more often and see how you’re doing.  

• Like 3

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

What I used to do back before I was a mod was write up my next challenge in a google doc sheet and copy paste it into a post when the new forums went up. If too many people start asking mods to move challenges to the new forums we'll have to start saying no.

ok that’s a no then! Haha

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

You had Covid and now walking makes you breathe hard?  Here’s my unasked for advice, fuck the gym.  Walking is where your fitness is right now, work on that on the days when you feel good.  It’s a long recovery and you can only do what you can do.  

Good luck with it.  I’ll try to pop in more often and see how you’re doing.  

I worry about if I’m using Covid as an excuse though. 

I mean - before I got it, I was also very unfit! Breathing hard when any exercise happened etc

i don’t know - it just seems confusing to me. 

thanks for stopping by though it is great to see you and I hope your recovery is going ok xx

• Like 1

Heyoo Sal my love! I would like to say that i am about 113lbs and i get out of breath within about 5-10 minutes when i go out on my bike. It's nit because i'm a horrible person who doesn't deserve to go out on my bike, but because i haven't built up endurance yet. 

What I've found with exercise is that when first getting started, it's easy yo get put off by the initial difficulty. Being out of breath or struggling to do something doesn't feel good, and so it's easy to wind up abandoning the activity altogether rather than modifying it to a more comfortable level. In this way we can wind up losing activities that we enjoy.

So my suggestion is basically echoing the others- nevermind whether your problem is covid or fitness level or (most likely) both (although for real please do experiment and document and investigate on the covid front because you deserve to get help and also we love you and would hate for you to be ill) if going for walks is something that you enjoy apart from the painful getting out of breath part, go for walks but make them short and/or slow. If you have a bike and enjoy riding it but it gets painful, go for shorter rides at a comfortable place. Play football with that team you met, but take breaks! You already know they welcome all fitness levels- your brain is trying to protect you by telling you all those nasty judgemental things about why you can't/shouldn't play with them, but it's wrong. Please don't force yourself to wait until you meet some special fitness standard before you allow yourself to do what you want and to have fun. You can can do whatever you want to now, you just have to ease into it is all.

Maybe for your next challenge you can try a goal of finding one good thing about yourself a day?  I've seen some suggestions online that you can say them sarcastically at first if you need to. Like, you start breathing hard on your walk i would love for you to take a break and declare yourself the world champion fittest beast alive or something. Or even, instead of following an exercise with "I only did this amount" it can be "hell yeah, I did this amount". It might feel silly at first, but self-talk Does have an impact on how people actually view themselves and, at the very least, it couldn't hurt to make sure your conscious self-talk is positive.

• Like 3

Matthew 25:34-40

Also maybe try thinking of your body like it's your teammate - in football, even. If you were playing football and a new teammate got injured or even just too tired, i bet you wouldn't belittle them for it or tell them they can never come to practice until they're perfectly in shape. You'd (your the coach in this scenario) give them advice on how to improve and would encourage them while they practice and build up fitness.

So, you can't force your body along in an activity either- be kind to and patient with it and you'll get where you want to be.

• Like 2

Matthew 25:34-40