Hangrybear's journey from chonk to stronk #4

4 hours ago, Hangrybear said:

Did end up eating some bread with butter, tortellini with bechamel and a kebab wrap with salad sour cream and chicken. It will likely make me feel even worse tomorrow, so I'll have to focus my energy on not restarting the self-destructive cycle that has ruined the last 10 years of my life and in consequence me to never once reaching my goal weight. 

Tomorrow will be an entirely new day. It's be a fresh clean slate, that today can't touch, and you will simply start over tomorrow. Give yourself the kind of break you'd give a friend, and don't beat yourself up too much :) 

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

On 6/21/2021 at 5:52 AM, Hangrybear said:

it's all a relatively new set of skills I'm trying to develop, so nothing is set in stone yet. Definitely should do more research, most of these are picked at random - so there probably aren't many take-aways for anyone else, which is also why I'm not writing more. every individual has to find the correct exercises suiting their specific issues. 

skill-based mobility: 
Single-leg romanian deadlifts (balancing, core, hamstrings)

Very deep paused static air squats (hold at bottom for 30-60s at lowest possible ROM)

Progression towards pistol squats

underhand grip dead hangs / scapula pull-ups

stretching: 

90 degree hip stretch

the pancake

butterfly stretch

hamstring stuff

quad stuff

biceps stuff 

shoulder stuff

core: 

superman

single leg hip bridge

raised head flutter kicks

side planks

banded psoas march

kneeling T-spine rotation 

This is very similar to what I have been working on, which makes me feel good. I really enjoy focusing on Single Leg RDL's. They really take a lot of hip stability which has been huge for me. I also do the 90/90 hip stretch daily as well.

On 6/23/2021 at 6:39 PM, Hangrybear said:

This is quite helpful and I'll put it to action immediately: in the next 2 weeks I will try to study daily and sacrifice socializing, due to having an infectious parasite, I have to isolate anyways. If that isn't enough time saved, then I'll cut down exercise from 3 to 2 hours. 

The rest day today almost ruined me. Restless and insatiably hungry all day, I had consumed my allotted calories before dinner. Started drinking wine and considered bingeing but then took 2 scoops of preworkout, biked for an hour, and trained for two. Burned 1200kcal, decided against KFC and had room for a healthy dinner. 

From now on, the only rest days are those that I actively desire, none will be planned, I just can't deal with them right now. 88 days binge free but the streak almost ended today. 

P. S. Bonus points for studying 7 hours today :) Shifting points towards WISDOM. 

On 6/24/2021 at 4:25 PM, Hangrybear said:

Felt horrible all day, took half the day off work, didn't study and the only exercise was a 90min walk in the rain to buy binge food. 

Ended up staying within an acceptable kcal-range of my maintenance, which is 20%. This is the limit I set for myself on bad days, to account for emotional eating without calling it a binge. 

Did end up eating some bread with butter, tortellini with bechamel and a kebab wrap with salad sour cream and chicken. It will likely make me feel even worse tomorrow, so I'll have to focus my energy on not restarting the self-destructive cycle that has ruined the last 10 years of my life and in consequence me to never once reaching my goal weight. 

All of the work of the last months could be gone in an instant if I lose track of my goals and go dark on forums and to my friends, as has happened many times before. 

The NF mantra is "never two bad ____ in a row". Insert as you'd like (meals, days, workouts). The past is the past and you must push through each day and continue to work towards whatever your goals are. As for your intense workouts detracting from other areas of your life, I believe that we could all take from the Japanese concept of Kaizen. As long as you are improving yourself and your life by just a little bit everyday, that is the best thing to do.

• Like 2

"Flying is easy, its landing that's hard" - Sev

On 6/24/2021 at 10:25 PM, Hangrybear said:

Felt horrible all day, took half the day off work, didn't study and the only exercise was a 90min walk in the rain to buy binge food. 

Ended up staying within an acceptable kcal-range of my maintenance, which is 20%. This is the limit I set for myself on bad days, to account for emotional eating without calling it a binge.

Sorry you felt so bad! But the fact that you managed to stay within 20% is amazing.

On 6/24/2021 at 10:25 PM, Hangrybear said:

Right. You can start shiny and new at any time.

How are you doing today?

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Thanks all.

Too depressed to communicate properly.

Not doing anything at work, in quarantine right now due to having a parasite and not talking to friends.

Not logging my challenge either.

But, 2 things are working fine. Diet and Training. Still binge-free, in a deficit and working out very effectively.

I feel like garbage, but at least my transformation to Thor is going well, picture posted below in spoiler. 

Training Wednesday:
120min gym (chest tricep core)
70min biking outdoor (HIIT)
=3hr10min

Training Thursday:
90min walk

Training Friday:
70min gym (back shoulder arms)
20min hiking Prehab
40min biking outdoor
=2hr10min

Training Saturday:
80min gym (back chest quads)
30min walk
30min biking outdoor
=2hr20min

Training Sunday:
120min gym (conditioning back shoulder)
30min bike ride outdoor
= 2hr30min

Training Monday:
160min biking outdoor
60min Hammer Smashes (500 reps)
=3hr40min

Training Tuesday:
140min Hammer Smashes (1200 reps)
60min Gym (pull ups)
20min biking outdoor
=3hr40min

Spoiler

20210627_203237.jpg.189a7f4f1c848d9402bf99ca3e07c255.jpg

• Like 3

[looks at spoiler Thor photo]

WOWZA!!!

Powerlifter, Strongwoman, Pharmacist, Earth bender, Mom, Iowan, Pianist, Gloomhavener, Madeira enthusiast, Apex Legend, Flexitarian, Combat veteran, Occasional Twitter troll, Watches too many reality cooking shows

6 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

[looks at spoiler Thor photo]

WOWZA!!!

I second that WOWZA, and raise you a YOWZER!

• Like 1

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: #OperationWeddingSuit

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

On 6/29/2021 at 10:32 PM, Hangrybear said:

Thanks all.

Too depressed to communicate properly.

Not doing anything at work, in quarantine right now due to having a parasite and not talking to friends.

Not logging my challenge either.

Don't worry about communicating. Just rest and stay chill and binge-free with the diet.

On 6/29/2021 at 10:32 PM, Hangrybear said:

I feel like garbage, but at least my transformation to Thor is going well, picture posted below in spoiler.

Friggin excellent! Much stronk.

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Since Monday will be a weighted chin-up  competition in my gym , am eating in a caloric surplus all week. Average has been 4050kcal daily.

Looking more beefy and have better muscle fullness and vascularity already but don't feel any stronger since I've been hammering on a tire daily, which means continuous soreness.

Will compete against a huge powerlifter, a ninja warrior participant, the gym owner and record holder and a guy from a special forces unit.

It is very unlikely that I will win, since I've been in a caloric deficit for 13 weeks straight, so strength has been hard to find, but will give it my best shot :)

In terms of work, I just decided not to do anything the entire week (taking off with accumulated overtime / slacking).

Also didn't study and will continue not logging my challenge. Not in the mindset to have all this pressure. 

Just focusing on what works right now to keep me sane, and that's athletic progress and eating disorder recovery.  

Also started  gaming  again after a 3 months break post-Valheim.

Playing Dyson Sphere Program, an amazing economy simulator, basically a prettier, galactic scale sci-fi Factorio.

It's developed by a 5 person team from China, but is polished as hell and has like 0 bugs. Very very impressed and already

50 hours deep after one week.

Thanks for reading, Love you all, have a good weekend. 

Training Wednesday:
80min Hammer Smashes (1000 reps)
20min biking outdoor
=1hr40min

Training Thursday:
50min Hammer Smashes (550 reps)
40min Gym (pull ups - rope climb)
30min biking outdoor
30min walk
=2hr30min

Training Friday:
70min Hammer Smashes (666 reps)
60min Gym (chest triceps)
20min biking outdoor
=2hr30min

• Like 2
On 7/2/2021 at 3:53 PM, Hangrybear said:

Will compete against a huge powerlifter, a ninja warrior participant, the gym owner and record holder and a guy from a special forces unit.

tenor.gif?itemid=11896976

Good luck!!!

Powerlifter, Strongwoman, Pharmacist, Earth bender, Mom, Iowan, Pianist, Gloomhavener, Madeira enthusiast, Apex Legend, Flexitarian, Combat veteran, Occasional Twitter troll, Watches too many reality cooking shows

9 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

Good luck!!!

Thank you! Yesterday I only did legs and mobility, to rest the back and arm muscles required for Monday's competition, but then friends asked to workout in the park. It was fun but probably counterproductive.

Today's plan is to just rest, recover, stretch and carb load. Shooting for around 450g Carbs, which typically leads to better sleep and strength, at least in a state of glycogen depletion. 

Otherwise just gaming and watching podcasts. 

Training Saturday:
120min Gym (Legs)
80min Calisthenics Park (Mobility Core Arms)
40min biking outdoor
30min walk
=4hr30min

14 week diet progress

TDEE daily avg last 14 weeks 4074 (calories out)
Consumed daily avg last 14 weeks 3568 (calories in)
---> daily deficit: 478 kcal

-6.7kg / 14.7lbs
-11cm Tummy

-0.5cm Bicep
-1.5cm Chest

Spoiler

14weekDIetProgress_EN.png.52d6a74baf22ec746d4c220d89378a49.png

• Like 1

The competition was super fun and a nice experience. We all got to put on our own music for the PR attempt and cheered each other on, gave bro fists and were happy for each other at every PR. Lots of chalk and lots of screaming.

Pull-up Max attempt (different grips)
1. massive powerlifter weighed 109.3kg and pulled three 45lbs plates (61.2kg) = 170.5kg

2. I weighed 99.6kg, pulled 61.8kg = 161.4kg

3. gym owner 92.4kg + 66.2kg = 158.6kg

4. special unit dude 85.5kg + 66.2kg = 151.7kg

5. chonky powerlifter 118kg + 35kg = 153kg

6. ninja warrior 75kg + 50kg = 125kg

Pull-up Bodyweight Shoulder Width Overhand Grip

1. gym owner 92kg x 25 reps

2. special unit dude 85kg x 24 reps

3. me 99.6kg x 21 reps

6. ninja warrior 75kg x 20

5. massive powerlifter 109.3kg x 18

6. Chonky Powerlifter 118kg x 10

• Like 1

Still doing nothing at work, no studying or in this challenge. 101 days binge free and back to the diet now.  Gotta clean up the nutrition, whole body is inflamed from comfort foods. 

Training Monday :

80min Hammer Smashes (750 reps)
100min Gym (pull up competition - chest - tricep)
30min biking outdoor
30min walk
=4hr

Training Tuesday:
70min Hammer Smashes (710 reps)
30min Gym (Mobility)
100min Bouldering
50min biking outdoor
20min walk
=4hr30min

Training Wednesday:
60min Hammer Smashes (660 reps)
10min Battle Rope (3 Supersets)
20min Gym (Back Shoulder)
20min biking outdoor
30min walk
=2hr20min

Might have to transition this into a battle log, just don't have the energy to do my challenge tasks while working out 20 hours a week. 

Training Thursday:
60min Hammer Smashes (600 reps)
15min Battle Rope (4 Supersets)
30min Gym (Muscle Up Technique Training)
30min biking outdoor
45min walk
=3hr

Training Friday:
50min Hammer Smashes (500 reps)
150min Gym (Muscle Ups, heavy pull ups, shoulder)
20min walk
20min biking outdoor
=4hr

Started doing more at work and also finding the energy to stretch again. No binge eating for 109 days. Dropped 18lbs, have abs for the first time in my life, after 10 years of yoyo dieting. Could post transformation pics but I doubt anyone cares. Am getting way more attention but still hate online dating, so will stay alone for now.  My mood can be summarized as hangry and grumpy, being in a deficit for 15 weeks will do that, I guess. 

Training Monday:
120min Gym (Muscle Ups, Pull Ups, Tricep)
15min Battle ropes (4 Supersets)
45min biking outdoor
=3hr

Training Tuesday:
50min Hammer Smashes (600 reps)
50min Gym (Sled Push, rope climb, plate carries)
20min biking outdoor
=2hr

Training Wednesday:
180min Gym (Shoulder Chest Mobility)
20min biking outdoor
=3hr20min

• That's Metal 1

Starting challenges again. 

• Tapering off caffeine for the week, trying to limit myself to one cup in the morning (down from 4-5 through the day)
  • Eating entirely clean, so veggies, fiber, lean protein, safe carbs
  • Not training as intensely as before, my body is wrecked from the volume intensity and frequency, all 3 of which were high. Will keep the frequency but reduce intensity and supplement mobility and stretching 

In addition 2 annoying weeks at work are ahead, but I'll try to do the bare minimum to stay sane and focus on my goals.

• That's Metal 1

Feeling better after taking rest days, was completely mentally and physically exhausted and gained 6kg water weight from inflammation for repairing muscle breakdown and due to cortisol. It's dropping off again now that volume is reduced. 

Training Monday:
Rest

Training Tuesday:
30min biking outdoor
90min bouldering
=2hr

Training Wednesday:
20min biking outdoor
120min Gym (Chest Back)
=2hr20min

• Like 1
On 7/14/2021 at 4:02 PM, Hangrybear said:

Started doing more at work and also finding the energy to stretch again. No binge eating for 109 days. Dropped 18lbs, have abs for the first time in my life, after 10 years of yoyo dieting. Could post transformation pics but I doubt anyone cares. Am getting way more attention but still hate online dating, so will stay alone for now. 

This is awesome friend! 109 days is a solid time to hit a habit, an often is just the nudge one needs to go for years. As for online dating, it can be so hit or miss, but if you can let the bad roll off, it helps you meet more people then you ever could without it, IMO.

Also I am sure that others would love to see progress pics, I'll be posting mine here in 4 or 5 weeks for the next challenge!

On 7/19/2021 at 2:45 AM, Hangrybear said:

Starting challenges again. 

• Tapering off caffeine for the week, trying to limit myself to one cup in the morning (down from 4-5 through the day)
  • Eating entirely clean, so veggies, fiber, lean protein, safe carbs
  • Not training as intensely as before, my body is wrecked from the volume intensity and frequency, all 3 of which were high. Will keep the frequency but reduce intensity and supplement mobility and stretching 

In addition 2 annoying weeks at work are ahead, but I'll try to do the bare minimum to stay sane and focus on my goals.

How are these going? Caffeine is tough, but I find that taking breaks or tapering down can be extremely help for sleep and dealing with cortisol. Check out this article from Michael Pollan, who included coffee in his research book on psychedelics. He went 3 months without and then  had a cup and documented his experience.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/jul/06/caffeine-coffee-tea-invisible-addiction-is-it-time-to-give-up

"Flying is easy, its landing that's hard" - Sev