A reboot, of sorts [Manarelle]

Background brain dump: the company I'd worked at for the last 7 years sold everything to our top competitor in April. I was asked to stick around til the end of May to wrap everything up, and managed to land a job that actually uses my degree (analysis) starting early June. While I am super grateful that everything worked out, it has severely interrupted my usual work-workout-hobbies routine. With the pandemic winding down, the new job decided I could attend training in-person (although I won't be working there), so I'm currently living in a hotel while learning a new job. 

What that means is: 1) relaxing gaming is curtailed (the internet service is good, but not gaming-good), 2) cosplay work is not happening, 3) I don't have to deal with the bloody cat and I'm getting solid sleep again, and 4) I have to figure out a new workout routine, knowing it'll change again when I finish training and go back home. 

Even worse, they're feeding us really well, like quality food not just catered donuts, and I do not want to let that throw all my past exercise and dietary work out the window. 

So with a fair amount of uncertainty on schedules, availability of hotel workout equipment, and overall timeline, here are my KISS goals:

• Do something exercise-y at least 45 minutes per day Sunday-Friday. 
  • Get one dessert, take it back to my room, and eat it in small portions each night. Do not get another until the first one is gone. 
  • Take the stairs at least once a day.
  • Study first, relax later (finish homework and workouts before relaxing). 

Edit to add: I will probably not be quite as active on the forums as usual because I'm still recovering from the brain overwhelm/ revert to survival mode of all the chaos in the last few months. Please know you're all still awesome and I will eventually catch up.

• Like 4

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

I hope you don't forget that whether or not your presence here is constant or sparingly, You are also still awesome!

• Like 2

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Glad to hear everything worked out well in the end.  I had a feeling your old company was going to pull something like that.

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, Spot Reduce [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Take your time and let your brain recover, we will be here. 

• Thanks 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

14 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Edit to add: I will probably not be quite as active on the forums as usual because I'm still recovering from the brain overwhelm/ revert to survival mode of all the chaos in the last few months. Please know you're all still awesome and I will eventually catch up.

No worries! that was quite a rollercoaster. Glad your job situation is looking good though :)

The proper sleep because no cat thing is.. :X are you sure you're going to go back? x) 

• Haha 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

22 hours ago, Red1263 said:

I hope you don't forget that whether or not your presence here is constant or sparingly, You are also still awesome!

Thank you. :) This job is actually doing a good job of reminding me that - it's the first job that wants me for my brains and past qualifications and not just "Yeah, I can do those entry-level skills." It's a nice feelings. 

15 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Glad to hear everything worked out well in the end.  I had a feeling your old company was going to pull something like that.

Yeah, it was quite literally the worst anything I've ever seen a company handle. The execs were still denying it to employees while it was being reported in major circulars; the HR lady was learning details from me and the IT team rather than vice versa; the CFO told me my end date would be mid-May, then called back half an hour later when my boss objected strenuously... the worst thing for me was that the severance package had so. many. errors. that like a simple proofread (ok ok by someone who speaks legalese) could have fixed. Like I appreciate getting a year and a half severance pay, but I'd happily have traded some of that for effective communication and rollout to completely negate the stress. Just blows my mind. 

13 hours ago, KB Girl said:

No worries! that was quite a rollercoaster. Glad your job situation is looking good though :)

The proper sleep because no cat thing is.. :X are you sure you're going to go back? x) 

Don't tempt me... I am loving the lack of felinity. 

6 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Congrats on the new job!

Haha, thank you! Here's to it being a career and not just a job and never having to job hunt mid-pandemic/ -recession/ -whatever inane thing happens to the world next. This was not my first but please, universe, let it be the last. 

Despite training going a little over today, I was able to hustle and get a workout-ish thing in, then get back to the dining area before it closed for the day. A mile and a quarter walking to and from some bars and benches I saw nearby(ish), then incline pushups, air squats, sit-ups, and a sort of modified bw row on a safety railing thing, and four flights of stairs on the way back to my room. Not perfect, but it happened, and that's what matters. Here's to tomorrow being not swamp-@$$-inducing. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Thank you. :) This job is actually doing a good job of reminding me that - it's the first job that wants me for my brains and past qualifications and not just "Yeah, I can do those entry-level skills." It's a nice feelings. 

Trust me, it's far better for someone to want you for your mind rather than your body.

James Franco Flirt GIF

• Haha 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Solid week. I've gotten my workouts in, although I did discover that 10 flights of stairs after a 2.6 mile walk triggers an asthma attack. Thankfully a mild one, as I do not have an inhaler right now, but I will not be pushing stairs quite so heavily.  Also, I am intentionally skipping today's workout: M/W/F are very busy in the weights section, and Tu/Th is the same on the cardio machines/ sidewalks around here, so I'm going to shift days to be opposite. Today is rest, tomorrow might be dinking around in the pool (there's a pool here!!!), and then Sunday evening will be weights. 

Sadly, with the lowering of covid restrictions, the dining area has gone back to serve yourself/ buffet style instead of individually packed. Yay for the environment, boo for portion control on desserts. I'll pick up smaller dessert options at the store this weekend and just go back to resisting the brick-sized dessert options. 

Most of the intro stuff has been completed, and we're getting into the nitty-gritty of the job details. I've had a couple brain check-outs, but it's been manageable. I was introduced to the concept of "forming, storming, norming, and performing" today, which is not the terminology I first learned when adapting to a new culture/ situation, but it's much more memorable. The "new, exciting" phase has worn off and I need to be vigilant about not falling into irritation at difficulties or comparison to previous jobs. For unknown reasons, I slept like trash last night, and have kept a very short rein on my temper today. As much as I enjoy the new job, I'm very much looking forward to the weekend. 

• Like 6

You're back!! :D I'm so glad to see you. 

But OUCH. You've been through ringer... I can't imagine the stress of that transition. :X That sounds awful!! 

Congratulations on the new job! Fingers crossed that the new company treats you much better. ❤️

I hope more good sleep happens and good luck on Monday!

• Thanks 1

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

Less solid week for workouts at least. They're trying to make up for the stuff we couldn't do during quarantine, so it's been very long days, and workouts have taken a major hit. On the other hand, I'm walking between rooms a LOT during the day, and I'm legit tired by the time I get back to my room, so I'm not going to stress about it. They've started offering (reasonably sized) cookies as "dessert" so there are options to satisfy the sweet tooth without blowing the food situation out of the water. I'm hoping things will slow down a bit after this week of catch up (I finally got time to wash my hair today, last time was Sunday), but I'm still glad I'm here - the classes are awesome and I love listening to the instructors tell about their experiences. 

I'm rambling. Life ain't bad. I'm surviving. 

• Like 6

On 6/25/2021 at 1:54 PM, KB Girl said:

A good tired then? :) 

Heh. It was a good tired until the hour-long charlie horse at 2:30am Saturday morning that is still sore today. Yesterday was an impromptu field trip that went from 8am to 4pm, then homework took til 8pm (with a break at dinnertime). This morning was shopping for some minor necessities, then it'll be back to homework after lunch. I probably COULD take today off, since some of it isn't due til later in the week, but I'd rather get it out of the way now. 

Week 1:

• Study: Yes. I'm moving this up because it is top priority. 
  • Dessert: Yes, most days were 1 cookie only, some had 2. Still better than a brick of cake. 
  • Stairs: 4 of 6, not including stairs throughout the day for between classes. 
  • Exercise: 1 of 6, but that's ok. 
  • Like 5

On 6/23/2021 at 7:27 PM, Manarelle said:

I'm still glad I'm here - the classes are awesome and I love listening to the instructors tell about their experiences. 

I'm rambling. Life ain't bad. I'm surviving. 

Woohoo for interesting training. In my experience, that's a rarity.

Strong start for week 1! 

• Like 1

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

12 hours ago, KB Girl said:

That does deserve some kind of prize. Something non-edible ofc ;)

It would sort of defeat the point if the prize were a chocolate cake in its entirety... :)

I have to change the exercise goal; 45 minutes just is not going to happen. I thought I would finally make it last night, then 5 minutes into my walk, we had a random thunder and big-ol lightning storm blow through. I noped out of that one and walked around a large room for a while, but I'm feeling no small bit thwarted. Now we're being told there are hurricane watches over the weekend, and it's still stupid hot and humid, so fine, I can take a hint. Exercise is down to 30 minutes per day. Alternate walking/ stairs and doing bodyweight stuff in my room, so long as stretches happen every day as well. PT will... I have no clue. Be worked in later, I guess. 

I don't like downgrading exercise, and I like the thought of losing my lifting and general body shape even less, but training is going full force, and there simply isn't time. I am grateful that I have a decent memory and test well, because I feel on top of next week's TWO tests and the constant pre-class assignments that they somehow can't manage to put all in one place. If I can stick to eating sorta healthfully and doing baseline workout stuff, I'll regain the strength stuff when I have time to do more than learn and sleep. 

• Like 4

On 7/2/2021 at 2:29 AM, Manarelle said:

If I can stick to eating sorta healthfully and doing baseline workout stuff, I'll regain the strength stuff when I have time to do more than learn and sleep. 

Yes! And this will go faster/easier than you’d think :) 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Sounds like you're doing a good job of making the best of the situation you're in, and adjusting your goals on the fly to be realistic instead of just giving up.

And I should take lessons from you in doing homework in advance instead of putting everything off to the last minute...

Impressive!

• Thanks 1

Dang, week 2 already? Goals:

• Study: Yes. I actually got to game a bit this Sunday because I was ahead. 
  • Dessert: Yes, including a mini piece of vegan oreo cake that was delicious once most of the frosting was removed (sugar overload).
  • Stairs: Missed a day or two. 
  • Exercise: Walked a lot.

Quick update because it's later than I'd planned to be up and I have extra energy (probably due to oreo cake). Last week was busy but productive, and I've found a good timing to go for walks every night. Did not do so tonight only because I chose to cut my hair instead, as I can't find a reputable natural-hair-cutter around here that has an opening before the end of August. Tomorrow, I want to try "working out" in my room with bands and some stair/ hallway walks. This week is the first round of assessments, but I have tested well in the past and feel pretty confident with the content, so I'm not going to stress until and unless someone tells me I'm not doing well. Next week starts practicals, which I am really excited about. Just gotta make it through this week first - slow and steady.

Ok, I had less time and energy than I thought. Responses and reading other threads will come later, I promise. You guys are awesome. 

• Like 7

On 7/4/2021 at 6:20 PM, zeroh13 said:

That’s some pretty intense training! But it’s great that things worked out. ☺️

It is, and I waffle between "this is absolutely worth it" and "what on earth was I thinking?" The latter is becoming less frequent now that we've gotten past the initial lift-off/ teething problems, thankfully.

On 7/5/2021 at 2:25 PM, KB Girl said:

Yes! And this will go faster/easier than you’d think :) 

I hope so! I've been able to get reliable-ish walks in this week, and we had a rare early day today, so as soon as I finish laundry, I'm gonna do some resistance band stuff in my room and stair/ hallway rounds for movement. 

On 7/5/2021 at 5:34 PM, AverageFish said:

Sounds like you're doing a good job of making the best of the situation you're in, and adjusting your goals on the fly to be realistic instead of just giving up.

And I should take lessons from you in doing homework in advance instead of putting everything off to the last minute...

Impressive!

Haha, thank you. I hate rushing, last-minute stuff, so I try to knock it all out asap so I can relax later. Sometimes later never comes and I have to schedule down time, but so far, nothing's been late (knock on wood). 

Already got word back on Tuesday's test (passed). No word on yesterday's test yet, and instant feedback on today's seemed positive. The next one is Monday, but I already feel pretty confident about that, so I might actually have a relaxing weekend... that I'll probably use to try to get ahead on pre-reqs and classwork. :D Nice to have the option not to though. 

• Like 7

Week 3 already, dang.

• Study: Yes. I am ready for tomorrow's test.
  • Dessert: Yes. They have a cycle of desserts so I know which ones are worth getting and when I can safely skip. 
  • Stairs: Intentionally skipped yesterday, otherwise yes. 
  • Exercise: YES!

Looks like we're past the initial "LEARN ALL THE THINGS!" cram phase and starting to get into practicals. Only homework this weekend was study for a major test tomorrow, and I feel ready. Also had time to do general body upkeep (hair, nails, etc), figure out insurance, and do some gaming. Last-minute threw together a split full-body workout from this NF post, and discovered I can walk to the gym, get a simple 3-exercise, 3-set workout in, and walk back in half an hour. I'm sure I'll play with that because I don't feel tired, but it was a good place to start after... jeez... over a month of no weights. Time flies. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, MezzotheLefty said:

How was Week 4? ☺️

.... I survived it. 

• Study: Yes. 
  • Dessert: Yes, with one day of several cookies instead of just 1.
  • Stairs: I honestly don't recall. 
  • Exercise: Also don't recall, but I remember feeling guilty that I wasn't doing it. 

Week 4 was a bit of a blur. I survived, I passed all the tests, but I'm pretty sure I did not do workouts well, and I certainly didn't actually record anything. The gym did not happen, I know that. The workload has changed from lectures on basics to practical exercises, which means less study, but more mental fatigue. I do recall one night last week where I basically got back to my room and just scrolled meme sites for two hours until bed. The weekend had another activity that took a good chunk of one day, and a storm took out power (and thus things like door key cards) for the other. Overall though, I'm still glad I'm here. I'm further downgrading the exercise goals to just 3 walks a week, and PT on non-walk days. I feel like that's doable with a bit of a challenge (which feels pathetic, but there it is). I've got this. 

• Like 7