Welcome all! I’m a married parent of 4 kids aged 0-7. I’m ultimately an adventurer at heart, though I train similar to a lot of Rangers (and I’m something of a Druid Paladin which is also something of an equivalent to a Ranger).  I love hiking, exploring, traveling, and other fun things with the family.  Since shortly before joining Nerdfitness, my physical training is typically built around injury rehabilitation (which happens a bit more often due to autoimmune arthritis) and training to be able to travel, explore, and play with my family. I have a pretty effective Disney World training system, and try to ensure that at any point I’m strong enough to carry my whole family somewhere. That has become more difficult as the years go on but I can still do it for the most part.  I am also an enthusiastic suburban homesteader bent on establishing an orchard and vegetable garden, so things can get pretty out-doorsy depending on my goals. My needs mean I do a variety of types of training, and my earliest two physical training goals were “run fast” and “be able to competitively play any sport I come across.”  I prefer to avoid gyms and do a lot of body weight training. 

At the beginning of the year, we welcomed baby 4 into the family, my cat was diagnosed with feline dementia a few

months ago, we adopted a kitten (our third cat and Rex’s first), and I’ve returned to work from my parental leave.  At the beginning of this year, we started shopping for an existing business with a professional kitchen  to give a physical location to our small cottage bakery. I’m not at liberty to discuss more at this time, only to say it’s a thing that we are working hard on. 

We have several new fruit trees, including a kumquat tree, and they’re all still alive. My Ranier cherry tree is alive but hasn’t woken up and I’m not entirely sure what to do about it. I have to replant an apple tree that sunk as well. The berries are exploding. The fence had an incorrect section sent (another return and replacement!) and this last piece should ship soon, meaning that I’ll finally be able to finish the darned fence. Fingers crossed. I hope. This never should have taken more than a day or two but here we are lol. 

Speaking of dragging projects, our bathroom remodel snowballed. It’s almost a ground-up remodel of the small bathroom now. But it’s gonna look good. 

Healthwise, we’ve been living the keto lifestyle for a little over 3 1/2 months, and we’ve found it to be incredibly easy to stick to 99% of the time, meaning we’re seeing more success and I’m burning less willpower on food-related stuff. I am past my arbitrary goal weight, and I’m focusing hard now on maintaining around this weight while achieving my goal composition.  The last time I was this weight was before I met Jessie and when I was in my student teaching (yeah, before the wrestling coach gig!) That is, one of the best shapes of my life. I want to be lean and strong, not skinny and weak. (Tried that and hated it).  I have been focusing hard on my calisthenics since shortly after the start of the last challenge and when testing today, I hit a new pull up record of 8.  It’s probably not an actual strength record since I could previously do 6 but at 25 lbs heavier, but I’m on the way. I can do 5 solid with le bebe in a harness and that’s closer, so I’m expecting to hit an actual strength record soon.

Goals: 

1. Sleep. As best as possible. I’m a nonfunctional mess without sleep and can sacrifice it for a few days ok but then I have to make it a super high priority to regain it. With le bébé getting older this is easier but with teething on the horizon that adds a potential complication. 

2. My basic calisthenics routine with Woody and Rex and Bo Peep. I’ve been hitting the upper body he’s but I need to get back into my lower body and core.  Currently I’m  at 8 pull ups and 35 push ups.  I recently read a study of endurance athletes that suggests full keto adaptation occurs at about 6 months and the performance dip corrects. 
          I’m still doing the calisthenics but since we booked a Disney trip in December and are traveling on a vacation with my family in a few weeks, I’m back into DW Prep mode. I’ll be doing all the usual loaded carry  exercises plus step ups, courtesy of my friends who answered my panicked call when I realized I no longer have a 15-story building’s worth of stairs to climb. 

3. Take one concrete step forward per day- at least one tangible, visible thing to make life better. This ranges from things as small as “dig out the replacement toaster” to as big as “reorganize the playroom.” I don’t have to complete the bigger ones as long as I make progress. 

4.  Take one concrete step forward per day career-wise. I need my job but I’m not satisfied in it and otherwise need a change. I need to hone/adapt skills and look for other opportunities. -> Currently, this involves working towards dramatically expanding a part-time business into a full-time business, which would have Jessie running that business full-time and likely have me also working it full time within the next few years. I’ve also continued to interview elsewhere to help give us options. 

5.  It’s watering time. All but my peppers are planted or died sad deaths on the patio, but we have 1 solid bed. The second needs to be installed, I have a pile of clay dirt to deal with, a ton of weeding to do, and I gotta keep everything alive since the heats of heck have arrived. 

6. Therapy.  I have a new diagnoses and new medication that have been, it feels, pretty life changing. I finished intensive therapy that was also insanely helpful prior to that and I am continuing with less frequent sessions. My goal is to better learn how to manage ADHD and how to be a more connected, present, and supportive husband and father. I think I have been progressing well. I feel healthy, though I’ve been pretty amped up the last few days during the remodel chaos and whatnot. 

There’s a lot going on. I’ve  started a lot more regular D&D sessions with the kids. We had a few false starts and some practice sessions but they’re finally getting into the Lost Mine of Phandelver. I’m seriously considering a TikTok channel detailing their exploits because they’re a lot of fun- a regular human fighter (who will likely become a Paladin) played by Woody,, a Dragonborn Barbarian who will 100% be multiclassing Druid played by Rex, and a higher level Tibbit multiclassing Druid and Rogue  played by Bo Peep, who is a volatile sometime-companion and sometime-ally who can also wild shape into a dog.  They love it and so do I. I told them we’d start a TikTok channel to tell their story, and if I manage to get that off the ground I’ll let y’all know. 

• Like 5

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

Following my usual homesteading role-model.

May your plants remain watered, alive, and fruitful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

2 hours ago, Stronkey Kong said:

Following my usual homesteading role-model.

May your plants remain watered, alive, and fruitful.

It really is satisfying, as a nice dismissal of consumerism and as a process of watching life grow. 

• Like 1

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

It is hot. So very hot. Over 100, and it just came out of nowhere. It was in the mid-70s and 80s which was totally fine and then the last few days it’s just been super hot. 

I mention this because yesterday I moved half the lawn and was just kinda shot for the day, then today I went to pick up some replacement parts and bits for my dremel drill and the heat from the car ride just sapped me. We’re going on vacation with my family in July and if mid-June is this hot I am not looking forward to July. 

My poor hydrangea is very sad. I’m tempted to put up a little shelter for it. As if I don’t already have too many open and incomplete projects going. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

The hydrangea has a pink umbrella. 

We have our kiddie pool out, and the kids have been swimming in it or the neighbor’s every day. It’s not a real pool but it works well enough for them. Especially since we spend a solid time outside watering every day, mostly our fruits and veggies. The heat kind of shocked the strawberries I think, and they’ve slowed down on their production but the blackberries and boysenberries are taking off. 

Nearly everything that can go wrong on this bathroom has. It’s a smaller space than my last 3 bathroom remodels yet it still has triple the weird snags.  However, the vanity is installed sans a 2-inch piece of PVC we need for the drain, and Jessie can officially finish the tile and do the floor so we can put the toilet back on and be done. I think the most complicated part left is the grout, which will require both of us to do. 

After that, I’m organizing my tools. Which I very much look forward to.  Then have some antique furniture to refinish and fix that was actually owned by my family 100 years ago. My dad’s… Grandma? Was born to a wealthy family in Boston that lost all their dollars in the crash of 1929. So they moved to the Midwest and sold off all their things while learning trades to get by, including this cool furniture. There’s a dresser with a mirror, another that is like a nightstand, and there was a wicker chair that was beyond our skills to repair. There are definitely a lot of parts to fix on them and we need a new mirror cut for the dresser but otherwise we’re going to refinish it and refinish an existing dresser I have in a similar style for our bedroom and it’ll be nice to have a mostly matching set of bedroom furniture like we’re adults with kids or something. (Our kids mostly have matching furniture by virtue of hand-me-down sets, but our actual furniture is mix and match hand-me-downs).

We’ll see. We’re going to be out of town during the month of July and I am concerned for the plants, especially the hydrangea. The grass always browns up in July but I don’t really care because it’s main job is to keep our house from getting muddy. 

More Neighbor Dog Drama

Spoiler

OH. So the violent dogs that bit half of Mama Dog’s ear off? There’s a whole thing going on.  Out of nowhere they want to put a privacy fence up (ok by me but agains HOA rules so we’re floating a change to them at our meeting next month) and we started looking into the situation more. Those two dogs between them have attacked 4 dogs including mine and 3 people including 2 kids and a 40-year-old woman, who didn’t know whose dog it was because the owners pretended it wasn’t their dog and walked away during the attack. Animal Control is worse than useless, to the point that I sadly suspect bureaucratic malice. I guess we’ll see. I do not feel comfortable with those dogs even with a 6-foot fence, with my children or my dogs in the back. But we’re largely powerless to do anything unless Animal Control gets their act together or someone sure. The most recent attack victim was a kid that shares another fence. I heard her dad talking to then yelling at those neighbors, who take absolutely zero responsibility for their dogs, and I talked to the Mom. They’re unsure about getting a lawyer involved but it’s not like these neighbors have done anything aside from putting up plywood barriers that their dogs can still easily jump. They’ve had problems with every neighbor who shares a fence with them along with several across and down the street, and people who walk dogs on their street. I am looking to organize a group to document and coordinate reporting because these are clearly dangerous dogs and something has to be done about them. 

The worst part is being a huge dog and animal person. Fact is, these dogs belong on land further out where they aren’t on top of other dogs and they can have a big privacy fence or electric fence. These dogs would be fine to guard livestock and run around a farm. But they’re a complete danger to those around them here. I feel for the dogs even if I would end them I’d they ever came back into my yard. It’s the people that are causing the problem and no amount of nice to our faces fixes the danger they constantly expose us to. We do not generally live in an area in which it is smart to have guns for protection and having guns available for protection by default makes you just a little less safe because of the threat of accidental discharge injury. But the dog threat is becoming such that it may be greater than accidental discharge injury and that ain’t right. If we had land I’d definitely have a shotgun on hand for coyotes and the like. But I shouldn’t need it because a neighbor doesn’t control their dogs. 

Again I’ll note that of all the neighbors involved (we all have or had dogs, as one lost a dog to age this year), these people’s two dogs are the ONLY common denominator in all the aggression. The rest know each other and sometimes bark loudly but play nicely and have zero history before or since of other aggression.  7 incidents since 2018 and we keep finding more as we talk to people; everyone seems to know a couple more.

Wait, have y’all been spoiler tagging with the weird eyeball thing 👁  instead of manually retyping the tags every time? Because I’ve been here for 4 years next month and literally JUST used the eyeball for the first time. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

OK. So we’re going on a trip in a few weeks and then doing Disney for Christmas/ le bébé’s first birthday (amongst other birthdays). So I need to switch things up a little bit and begin my Disney Training again. This will be the first time I am doing it without access to 20-30 flights of stairs though so I’ll have to alter things a little bit. 

Also, as I mentioned, I’ve been sort of neglecting my legs. So I gotta step it up on those but not too hard so that I overdo it. Gotta love getting a bit older. I’m not nearly old yet, but I don’t bounce back like I did in my teens and early 20s either when I overdo it so I need to be mindful. I’ll be spending some time rethinking this but in the meantime if anyone has good ideas for replacing my typical carrying of sandbags up stairs and hills for kid carrying conditioning, please let me know. @WhiteGhost@Sylvaa @WolfDreamer @Ranger Hal @Rurik Harrgath? Sorry for the direct tags or if I missed anyone. I’m expect kids weighing ~25 lbs, ~50 lbs, ~75 lbs, and ~100 lbs during this time, and the goal of the training is preparing for multiple hours of long distance rucking with weighted carries.

Normally, I have weighted sandbag carries that I do both over flat ground and up and down long stair flights. It started in the parking garage and outgrew it, though I did did the garage to acclimate to working in the heat. Currently; I only have one constant set of stairs, either oh my house or on my deck. And I’m less worried about the Florida heat in December that I was in our June-July trips. 

Obviously, as they get older I’ll carry them less and they’ll be doing their own training so they can walk longer. But I gotta be prepared. As an example Rex, the second oldest, sprained his ankle pretty bad the other day so I was carrying him up and down stairs and lifting him into his second-story bunk bed to keep him off of it during the recovery period. It’s fine now but my luck would be Rex or Lucas getting hurt and I don’t want that to have to be any more disruptive than necessary. 

Thank you to anyone for any input you may have. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

...but in the meantime if anyone has good ideas for replacing my typical carrying of sandbags up stairs and hills for kid carrying conditioning, please let me know. 

Normally, I have weighted sandbag carries that I do both over flat ground and up and down long stair flights. It started in the parking garage and outgrew it, though I did did the garage to acclimate to working in the heat. Currently; I only have one constant set of stairs, either oh my house or on my deck. And I’m less worried about the Florida heat in December that I was in our June-July trips. 

Depending on the equipment you have access to, there are always methods for scaling what you've got.

One movement I like when I'm taking rucking and/or hiking super serious is the step-up.  Ever since the CrossFit Open had those, I've been a reluctant and begrudging fan, but they work!  Ideally a plyometric box for stability but you could pick a second step stair or a sturdy chair perhaps and just step up then down, alternating feet.  Even bodyweight is gonna zap you fast!  But if you can work up to any kind of weight, whether it's throwing books in your backpack (or making a sand/concrete rucking pill), picking up kettlbells or dumbbells, etc. you're gonna feel that burn fast and I would think that's a major workout that'll prep for kiddos.

The same could go for lunges or step-downs (like a step-up but you start from your knees on the ground).  Any kind of stepping movement is great accessory or prep for rucking!  Bear crawls  (or any animal crawl) are an interesting accessory when done on the stairs too ;) 

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

10 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

One movement I like when I'm taking rucking and/or hiking super serious is the step-up. 

I somehow hadn’t thought of that even though I was thinking single stair climbs. Feeling kinda dumb at not immediately identifying it 😂

I will be adding those today. Do you have a recommended step to knee or waist height ratio?

I have what I believe to be plenty of weights. I have 2 cat litter buckets with 50 lbs of sand each and 2 duffel bags with 50 lbs and 70 lbs of sand so I think I’ll be ok enough on the weights. I’ll probably use my stairs for the step up but I might build a box? We’ll see. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

I’m expect kids weighing ~25 lbs, ~50 lbs, ~75 lbs, and ~100 lbs during this time, and the goal of the training is preparing for multiple hours of long distance rucking with weighted carries.

Do you normally do Disney World? I thought last Disney trip was to Disneyland. I didn't find Disney World super hilly at all, but that might be due to living where I do. 

Obviously for the baby, rucking is going to be your best bet, with or without hills. For the bigger kids, how do you normally carry them? Honestly, I'd use them in your training - if it's a piggy back situation, then have them hop on and walk. It'll be a two-fer situation because then they'll also get used to holding on. You could make circuits by carrying them in different positions around the neighborhood. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

Do you have a recommended step to knee or waist height ratio?

I have what I believe to be plenty of weights. I have 2 cat litter buckets with 50 lbs of sand each and 2 duffel bags with 50 lbs and 70 lbs of sand so I think I’ll be ok enough on the weights. I’ll probably use my stairs for the step up but I might build a box? We’ll see. 

I personally wouldn't go any higher than my knees, ideally a bit lower than even that, but I'm cautious about my hip and knee health after the army did its best to ruin both.  I think CrossFit's standard for that workout was the 24" box and it was TONS high enough; I think even 12-18" is going to feel like some serious work.  You could even alternate sets of heavy step-ups using your cat litter buckets where you're really focusing on form and engaging your glutes almost like doing lunge reps, and follow that up with the sandbag across your traps/shoulders where you're moving a bit faster, almost marching or just 'tapping' at the top of your step.

There's plenty of ways to score yourself for a more challenging workout too; it could be as simple as timing a certain amount of steps or shooting for those steps within a fixed timeframe if you want an extra challenge.

• Like 1

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

54 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Do you normally do Disney World? I thought last Disney trip was to Disneyland. I didn't find Disney World super hilly at all, but that might be due to living where I do. 

Yes, we’ve done Disneyland once but I’m not a big fan of it. Really no training is necessary for Disneyland because it’s so small but I did train for all those hikes on the road trip to and from it. 

Disney World isn’t really hilly. I add the hills to increase the taxation on my lungs and my legs. 

54 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Obviously for the baby, rucking is going to be your best bet, with or without hills. For the bigger kids, how do you normally carry them? Honestly, I'd use them in your training - if it's a piggy back situation, then have them hop on and walk. It'll be a two-fer situation because then they'll also get used to holding on. You could make circuits by carrying them in different positions around the neighborhood. 

I will if they let me. The older two, the ones I really need to work with, don’t like to be carried unless they’re really tired (usually up the stairs to their beds at night) which is why I added alternatives. 

I usually carry them like bags of groceries or in a bear hug. It’s not the most efficient but they like it most. I can carry them in the over-the-shoulder and fireman carries just about indefinitely, at least after my conditioning workouts. 

1 hour ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

There's plenty of ways to score yourself for a more challenging workout too; it could be as simple as timing a certain amount of steps or shooting for those steps within a fixed timeframe if you want an extra challenge.

Good call. I know my glutes in particular are weak and need all the work they can get. I’m more concerned about them giving out under the conditions than my arms. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Sciread77 said:

Good call. I know my glutes in particular are weak and need all the work they can get. I’m more concerned about them giving out under the conditions than my arms. 

Same actually, and I've been battling an indefatigable knot in my left glute for months so I get lots of lunge/step/bridge work in on leg day.

• Like 1

I don't have any particular recommendations for training as I'm not actually very consistent about it, but the best shape I was ever in for hiking at the start of the summer was the year I went through SAR training. I probably did the occasional day hike, but my main "workouts" were the once-a-month SAR training weekends (November-March) where I was carrying a 40 lb pack around for a day and a half. I don't think the distances were even that far considering that were stopping to practice skills a lot and traveling in a straight line using a compass is a slow process.

• Like 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, Current

Walk to Mordor (2021)

2 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Same actually, and I've been battling an indefatigable knot in my left glute for months so I get lots of lunge/step/bridge work in on leg day.

I’ve always had a tiny and relatively weak butt, even during my ridiculous squat days (I didn’t go past 90 degrees) and it’s especially plagued me since getting a desk job. 

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

if anyone has good ideas for replacing my typical carrying of sandbags up stairs and hills for kid carrying conditioning, please let me know.

I have been in a similar position when Ghostlet was a toddler.  Every time we would go out for a family trip I invariably ended up carrying him for significant portions.  The most memorable was a cave complex in Sichuan province and I ended up having to carry him up several kilometers of stairs over the course of it.  My preferred carry method was with him sitting on my shoulders so I actually incorporated this position into a lot of my workouts.  I would get him up on my shoulders and then do squats, front/back lunges, and step ups with him there.  This helped because when it came time to actually do the carrying the additional core conditioning that came from having to support the weight helped immensely.    If the kids aren't interested in joining for your workouts, weights like sandbags or whatever can hep, but I find they don't really replicate the "bag full of wild cats" type of wiggling that you get from an actual kid.

• Like 3
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

but I find they don't really replicate the "bag full of wild cats" type of wiggling that you get from an actual kid

Definitely this. That’s why I added the running of multiple flights of stairs with sandbags  to begin with. I had a 50 lb kid, Woody, and the sandbags were way easier to handle than he was. I had a shining moment too, when I ran from the very front of the park with a Woody who desperately needed to potty all the way to the bathrooms by Cinderella’s castle, dodging people jumping over barriers all while not jostling him too hard. That was a Top Dad moment.

I promise I couldn’t have Parkoured across Disney with a kid if I hadn’t added those stairs which is part of why I had my knee-jerk panic here and forgot that step-ups existed. I think those are going to have to become the core of the new plan, at least unless/until I gain access to a lot of stairs again. 

• Like 4

Spoiler

Thank you all for the gratuitous input!

Spoiler

Started my first leg day. I thought I was going easy with 1 step and no weight and then a single set of 10 of negatives from the second step, but I can already feel that I have grossly miscalculated. Bowling is gonna be fun tonight.

Seriously though, maybe I should have been doing these instead of running stairs to begin with? Or maybe along with. Because I can actually feel my glutes working and I’m tired of the largest muscle in my bodying being pathetically weak to the point my quads pick up the slack.   

Yesterday, I dropped le bébé into his carry harness and mowed the lawn as part of my rucking and carry routine. That was pretty killer in the heat but I need to start being outside regularly like everyone else unless I want to die like the polar bear I am at the beach. 

Did mention we joined a bowling league? Picked up our balls yesterday and I’m excited to have already bowled a personal best. It’s a fun time out with another couple.  whose onlychild is friends with Woody and Rex. It’s fun, we’re competitive even if we’re competing for “Not Last Place” and we’ve been really enjoying it. I have now officially beaten Jessie twice in bowling but she is still a far superior bowler. One of our friends is really good but hit and miss; he’s bowled 275 and I’ve also beaten him several times. It’s exciting though because I think we’re all generally improving and playing with the same balls each week will really help. 

I also had a bit of a moment last night. I’ve been feeling pretty good about how I look, generally, for a couple of years.  I don’t think I’ve had any real general body dysmorphia since maybe right after Jessie and I met (she’s been very positive for my general mental health). But I felt it creep in again last night.  We were shopping for picture clothes for me, and I was pretty jarred when we took my measurements which weren’t what I expected i.e. bigger waist part and smaller strength bits. It was disappointing plus they had the measurements for the models on there too. It hit really hard and it’s sucks especially because while I rarely think about this sort of thing, I know that it’s often thrown into women’s faces and most of their clothes are fit for models instead of regular people, whereas Target and Walmart and other major sources od clothes usually have a ton of stuff in place for my body type. 

When I was a teen I chased “thin” to the point of being ghostly. I realize I won’t likely ever look like that AND have the strength and stamina I value. But it sucks and I don’t miss having that earworm constantly telling me to chase some magazine ideal. I want my wife to think I’m hot, myself to think I’m an attractive guy, and I want to be in great physical shape.  As it is, nobody would see a six pack under my fur anyways 😂

Seriously though, body image in our media is absolutely toxic. 

• Like 4

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

For sure!  I was reading an article this morning talking about just how huge the "profit from making you hate your body" industry is

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

15 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

For sure!  I was reading an article this morning talking about just how huge the "profit from making you hate your body" industry is

I never want to make my money off of making someone hate themselves. I get getting paid on the positive- you want to get fit or in shape or train for a certain event and I can help you. But the making you hate your body thing, or the personal trainers that guilt you for every little thing, we’ll, screw all that. If I sold

any it’d be my Disney World Training system that I can’t even use right now except for y’all’s help-abd you’d better believe I’d frame it not entirely unlike advice I give on here, which I at least hope is positive and supportive. 

Making people feel bad about themselves isn’t really motivating for long-term  success, and it makes them less healthy. I see all that as a net negative on the world even if those people try to console themselves in those relatively few successes they see. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

I finally dropped back onto the Nerd Fitness map again, so I had to come and check in and say hello. I will definitely be following along this challenge!

I am glad to see that things seem to be going pretty well so far, though I am sorry to hear that you are still having issues with those dogs. I hope you can get that resolved very soon.

22 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

This, so much. The way the media approaches body image, diet, fitness, and health as a whole tends to be appalling. I am currently working on a personal training certification, and it is at least encouraging to see that much of that behavior is being highly discouraged in the program for trainers. So, maybe there is hope for the future. I mean, it is going to take a long time to get the media to cut it out, because all they typically care about is clicks, and insecurity and fear generate a lot of those, but at least there are a lot of people opening their eyes within the industry itself, and maybe that will eventually lead to healthier approaches.

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

12 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

I finally dropped back onto the Nerd Fitness map again, so I had to come and check in and say hello. I will definitely be following along this challenge!

Yay! Welcome back and always glad to have you following along. 

I am glad to see that things seem to be going pretty well so far, though I am sorry to hear that you are still having issues with those dogs. I hope you can get that resolved very soon.

I hope so. Fortunately they haven’t directly attacked us but unfortunately they are still actively attacking people and animals on the regular. Many neighbors appear to have been convinced to not report it as well, which is a major problem as far as getting things done with the authorities. (Who have been close to useless anyway). 

This, so much. The way the media approaches body image, diet, fitness, and health as a whole tends to be appalling. I am currently working on a personal training certification, and it is at least encouraging to see that much of that behavior is being highly discouraged in the program for trainers. So, maybe there is hope for the future. I mean, it is going to take a long time to get the media to cut it out, because all they typically care about is clicks, and insecurity and fear generate a lot of those, but at least there are a lot of people opening their eyes within the industry itself, and maybe that will eventually lead to healthier approaches.

That’s encouraging! And I’m seeing more personal trainers speaking out about it. I think part of the issue is certifications obtained through a lot of the popular chains were aimed at trainers they were paying minimum wage and they relied more on marketing (to people’s negative body images) than quality training. The gym I was a member of went through a lot of members and trainers while I was a member. 

Spoiler

Probably the biggest struggle with Keto so far? Watching Woody make a big deal out of eating candied yams at dinner tonight. I am normally not craving carby stuff but I love yams and potatoes and tubers and pulses and it’s painful to see them disrespected like that 😂 

• Like 2

Spoiler

I was able to knock out, amongst other things, 51 pullups (in 4 sets of of 7, 3 sets of 6, and 2 sets of 5) tonight after getting the kids in bed and while going through my evening kitchen cleaning ritual. This is something far and away beyond a volume I’ve ever been able to do before, and I only felt tired at the very end.  This exercise is really bursting through my previous plateau, where I was stuck at 5-6 reps max. The routine has been alternating regular and assisted pull ups, and the regular have been roughly half body weight and half while wearing  le bébé in his harness. I think of helping to hit higher volume, higher weight, and normal but packed more tightly than before. I have also been resting upper body 2 days a week, during which I just do a few pull ups each time I walk by my pull up bar and never anywhere near failure. 

At this moment I’m tempted to try some sort of challenge like 1,000 step ups, 1,000 push ups, 1,000 squats, and 500 pull ups before vacation, but instead I’m going to ease into legs instead of killing myself and just track my numbers. As it is I’m more than in line to hit those upper body numbers but jumping too hard into the lower body while having the upper body breakthrough will probably lead to overtraining. Also, I’m not 25 anymore and I don’t regularly beat out 7 straight classes of teenagers in the push-up game every weekday. I can be in better shape than that kid was, especially training smarter, sleeping more and better, and not drinking a ton of alcohol and eating unhealthily, but I can’t do it in the same way that he did. Especially with increased needs for recovery due to age and autoimmune arthritis. 

Bah. In any case, I’m proud of where I am and where I’m going. I’m thinking that soon, if I haven’t already, I’ll be beyond the strength required for my record of 6 at 2 stone more than my current weight. 

Which is cool. But it is also just a proxy for “be healthy and be capable.” As if I needed a reminder, last night my fingers swelled and my brand new bowling ball with custom drilled finger holes was suddenly too small. I switched to an alley ball after 6 frames, 5 of which my ball stuck briefly on my ring finger even with dried hands and rosin. Stupid arthritis 😂 The fingers and toes are the first things to swell and the last things to calm down every time. I’m just glad it’s limited to the occasional annoyance like this instead of being utterly crippling like it was 8-9 year ago for me. Thank the gods for advanced medical science. 

Now, it is time for that sleep I was yammering on about a few paragraphs ago. 

• Like 2

Spoiler