I was able to move the blackberry bushes back to the corner of the yard with trellises. They look a lot better. A couple of Strawberry bushes went with them. I also replanted a couple of the apple trees that sank into the ground and hadn’t been growing much. 

Still gotta get the Crepemyrtle into the ground and have a lot of work, but I’m pleased with moving the blackberries and the weeding I was able to accomplish. 

• Like 2

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

Welp. Apparently another one of my uncles’ families has COVID. And apparently they refused to get vaccinated. Yet, in spite of being invited to a massive family party (which has now been rescheduled) and knowing my stance on it, my family (especially my grandma who invited us and my mom who apparently knew) decided to let me think that the whole initial response of “Our family believes in vaccines” to cover them. As long as it led to their desired result, which was for everyone to get together. 

This, along with a long history of lying by omission and misleading when it’s easy or convenient, is why I do not trust my family. COVID only proved that I can’t even trust them if people’s lives are on the line. I wanted to believe they were better than that. But alas it does not seem to be. 

I don’t include my sister in this. We only talk on and off, so we don’t talk about everything but she’s always shot as straight as possible with me as far as I can tell, and Vice Versa. But I am wholly disappointed in almost everyone else. 

• Sad 4

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

That's messed up

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

20 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

This, along with a long history of lying by omission and misleading when it’s easy or convenient, is why I do not trust my family. COVID only proved that I can’t even trust them if people’s lives are on the line. I wanted to believe they were better than that. But alas it does not seem to be. 

I've been thinking about you and your family a lot as I've been reading articles around your state. It's really awful that you are dealing with that.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I've been thinking about you and your family a lot as I've been reading articles around your state. It's really awful that you are dealing with that.

Yeah. My one cousin in that family (who is a nurse) and his wife are vaccinated. But.. yeah. I think I’ve posted enough about my tremendous anxiety, ESPECIALLY for the kids, regarding this particular disease, and I’ve been loud and direct enough that it’s made plenty of conversations “uncomfortable.” Unfortunately, when we’re texting  they’ll usually ghost me and when we’re talking they’ll agree with me then keep doing the exact same things. 

Most of them are technically southern Illinois. But frankly, there’s really not a difference between that and rural Missouri. 

• Sad 1
  • Angry on your Behalf 1

Spoiler

Almost had another panic attack yesterday. Took some of the more acute treatment meds that helped with that but still felt anxious until I had a convo with my family today. I feel… tentatively better. Better in regards to things with the kids, at least, but not really sure about the rest. There were agreements to go to therapy together, a potentially major win. But still I know more is ahead.

That convo is all I got done today. I’m shot. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

As exhausting and anxiety-inducing as the conversation with my mom was, the conversation with my dad this morning was energizing and hope-inspiring. Same conversation, 1000% different reception. It is weird the difference is so stark (though also not surprising) but I am very happy about it. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

Homesteading update. 

The Ranier is dead. Long live there Ranier.  I’m just incredibly sad about that. But I contacted the nursery and they’re sending another out under warranty that’s due at the end of August or beginning of September. 

The blackberries I moved are… not happy. I hope they don’t die. The strawberries that lived under them are overjoyed, whether they moved with the blackberries or are suddenly alone in the space. Though some blackberry stalks are doing ok and I may just need to prune. The unmoved boysenberry bushes are turning into bramble thickets in spite of the neighbor (or perhaps because of the neighbor) chopping them with his weed eater. 

The veggies as a group aren’t doing so well this year, but I discovered half a dozen pumpkin/gourd plants that propagated themselves in spite of me not planting them this year. Which makes me happy because squash and gourds are so festive! Still, our tomatoes and peppers are sad. All that’s thriving are two heads of cabbage, and my hot peppers WERE thriving until something made the mistake of eating the tops. I want my Serranos and Carolina Reapers! Especially since I read that the Carolina Reaper’s flavor/heat profile follows a similar pattern to the Serrano, my this-far all-time favorite: sweet beginning with a staggered burn. Only orders of magnitude stronger. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. 

We have a heat advisory starting tomorrow afternoon so I need to mow and trim the yard today. We’re planning to go pick peaches and summer apples at an orchard with my parents in the morning. Since our orchard is not quite ready yet.  But I definitely gotta do the yard. And I still have a ton to do. The list is long and I gotta start finishing some of this stuff and making it nicer and more permanent. The neighbors I talk to and whose opinions I care about don’t mind but there are others that I don’t want Jessie to have to hear from, plus the unfinished projects stress her out. The whole wasp thing yesterday threw off all the plans I had. 

Oh yes. Wasps built a nest in my playset fort and they swarmed Woody. He’s ok, thank goodness. They were playing and I was taking a work break to check on them when I heard him scream. This isn’t necessarily uncommon; he gets really upset and vocal about even the most minor injuries. But Rex’s reaction of concern (and his running full bore at me) let me know it was serious even before he said “Wasps got my brother!” I had to talk him down because he was sitting in fear and they kept attacking. His shirt and hat protected him from a lot of it but ultimately he got stung twice. For other things I’d have just grabbed him and pulled him down, but wasps stings go anaphylactic with me and he wasn’t showing any of those symptoms so I took my time more because it wouldn’t be very helpful if we both had that reaction. I was able to talk him through escaping down the tube slide, which a bracket had broken on and he was afraid to go down. Inside, I made sure there was no stinger sticking out of him, we washed it off, put cortisone and bandages on it, and then he iced it in and off under closer supervision all afternoon. 

So very fortunately, unlike his padre the boy has no allergic reaction at all to wasps. Doesn’t make the hurt less. He now understands why I hate wasps like I do 😂. And when I got my prescriptions I ended up not getting the wasp spray as someone at the regular stuff checkout line was maskless and coughing so I just peaced out. So we gotta get that and Jessie, also not allergic to wasps at all, is gonna spray them down and remove the nest. ❤️ My hero  ❤️ 

This weekend is about planned out between the orchard and my parents’ birthday dinner. Both things I’m looking forward to but I’m also feeling tired just thinking about it. That’s what I DID like about quarantine.  Rex’s godfather and I both really enjoy the not-having-to-go-places part of it, even if we miss each other. I really miss Rex’s godparents, and we used to see them all the time. We had game nights together, did dinner, and his godmother was on the same nonprofit board for a while so even the two of us have a good standalone friendship. They have 2 babies now about the age of Bo Peep and le bébé de moi (mon bébé) and the thing I don’t like is all these tiny humans getting so big without me getting a chance to see,  hold, and play with them!

Physically, things are going well, too. I have to be diligent about eating to maintain weight but it’s pretty easy to add healthy fat calories and proteins.  I’ve been branching out more and have found I can eat basically anything I want as long as I stick to appropriate portion sizes. As long as I stay in ketosis I can have a few grams of rocket fuel sugar without the maddening, out of control cravings too. I haven’t been doing videos or the push-ups because Woody was in a scooter accident and sprained his wrist, and it doesn’t feel right filming it without him. But I’ve still been keeping up. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

The Fuji and Pink Lady trees have new growth! The replanting has really helped. I also discovered a new blueberry bush stalk. 

It’s hot. We had a fun time at the orchard today, and the kids are staying the night with my parents. Which is great for them. Also for us because le bébé is teething and kept us up all night long. We’re exhausted and the heat hit us, so we’re doing movies, napping, and watering things in shifts. 

We watched The Big Lebowski, and it was my first time seeing the movie. I’m glad I’ve seen it, though I doubt I’d sit and specifically watch it again. There are some hilarious moments, but there were also long stretches where I struggled to stay involved. I’m glad I have seen it. 

We’re making a cheesecake for the birthday tomorrow but something spilled and I’m dealing with/cleaning an oven first. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

This is my current favorite apple!

They’re one of mine! If you’re ever around and we have some, you’re welcome to a few! Fuji, Pink Lady, and Honeycrisp are basically my top 3 apples AND the harvest between the 3  can span something like 6 months here. So here’s hoping. 

I was hoping to have some apples this year but deer have been enough of a problem that it’ll be next year at least before the trees have the strength to actually make apples. 

In an exciting turn of events, Rex has joined the tap and ballet class. Woody missed it and we signed him back up. And we signed Bo Peep up for the young class. All of which start tomorrow. We realized we never actually got their shoes and slippers so we did that today after their annual physical. When Woody was trying on the new tap shoes, the lady from the store sent him to try them out on the small wooden test floor and the second he started his shuffle, Rex’s eyes lit up. He asked Woody to teach him when we got home. 

We got home, and it turns out he fits the unused dance shoes we bought for Woody to wear to his 2020 recital. The outfit too. And after an excited afternoon/evening wearing them, he signed up for the same class as Woody. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

Just got some very promising news that somewhat assuages some of my myriad anxieties. 

On another anxieties note, we spent most of Saturday and Sunday with my parents and things already seem to be substantially better. This time I had parallel conversations with both parents and I think that helped. And things with the kids seem better. It’s gotta stay on this path, yeah, but I’m generally feeling optimistic about many things.   

I’m really excited. I’ve had one heck of a rollercoaster of emotions recently but, utilizing my therapy tools, I’ve been tackling things head-on (which I THOUGHT I was doing previously except for all my internalized defense mechanisms of emotionally checking out) and it has really been working.  I mean, I’m also a little scared, too. But I’d rather be scared and excited. 

The kids’ first dance classes are tonight. Bo Peep had a blast and Rex is, too. Woody is back in his element. Rex is really taking to it and I'm proud of him. Yeah high it I were the teacher, I’d have already separated them. Brothers gonna brother I guess. But no reason to let it be an issue. 

The blackberries are doing well. The dying stalks are the ones that already produced this year so they were gonna die anyway. 

• Like 4

Spoiler