Rave Is On A Quest To Be a Monk On The Inside, And A Warrior On The Outside

The path of this challenge was inspired by a phrase I saw:

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

So this quest will involve some sort of meditative martial arts practice, weight training and dialing in nutrition to focus on whole foods, and less processed. It won't be perfect, of course, but I'll try my very best. 

Civilize_Savage.jpeg

• Like 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Atheist Naturalist Halfling Ranger

STR|2 DEX|3 STA|2 CON|3 WIS|3 CHA|2

“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.â€― Neil Gaiman

Not a really strong start to the challenge, but I’ll get on track.

Today was just a daily walk, but ate pretty clean. There were cookies, though.

The Plan

1) Daily 2 mile walk with weighted vest

2) Tai Chi/Qigong session 4-5 times a week

2) Weight training 2-3 times a week

3) 80% clean eating (no processed food)

Also doing a PvP weight loss challenge, so hoping this will help there.

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.â€― Neil Gaiman

On 6/21/2021 at 3:53 AM, RaveOnOn said:

Not a really strong start to the challenge, but I’ll get on track.

Today was just a daily walk, but ate pretty clean. There were cookies, though.

Zero week doesn't have to be perfect, we're just warming up 🙂

On 6/21/2021 at 3:53 AM, RaveOnOn said:

The Plan

1) Daily 2 mile walk with weighted vest

2) Tai Chi/Qigong session 4-5 times a week

2) Weight training 2-3 times a week

3) 80% clean eating (no processed food)

It's a good plan.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Solid plan and I think your nutrition strategy is smart, since it is flexible and not too stringent. The most common mistake I see and have also made in the past is to restrict too severely and limit the food choices too radically, which ultimately leads to your brain craving exactly those foods, making adherence very difficult. The 80/20 mix is not optimal on paper but in practice will outperform any theoretically optimal model, since it can be adhered to long-term.  A diet doesn't have to be perfect, but it must be sustainable if you want to keep the weight-off, so you're on a good path :)

• Like 1

Daughter is visiting so routine is all shaken up. She goes home today so I should be on track to get shit done!

Daily walk done but pretty sure that’s all I’ll accomplish.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 6/23/2021 at 9:23 PM, RaveOnOn said:

Daughter is visiting so routine is all shaken up. She goes home today so I should be on track to get shit done!

Daily walk done but pretty sure that’s all I’ll accomplish.

Enjoy the visit!

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

I’m not sure why this challenge is so……challenging. I felt like I set myself reasonable goals, but I rarely get beyond the daily walk. It’s something in my brain, because I don’t feel tired or sore. I am being mindful of my food, so I guess that’s another thing going well. I just need to get on track with the movement stuff again.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Feel like I might be breaking through the motivation slump. Got my weights/ cardio workout done, and also did my daily walk. I feel awesome so maybe that will give me momentum.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Honestly, it can be pretty hard to say what causes a slump. It doesn't necessarily have to be just a physical thing - sometimes there's a mental component, a rebellion against routine or else being overwhelmed somewhere else such that lifting heavy shit is hard.

You know better than us whether this means you need to adjust some things or else just to suck it up and get it done. Either way, we're here to root for you!

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Kishi said:

a rebellion against routine

This is such a huge part of the struggle for me!

• Like 1

[Level ?] Altered Outrider (Tech Shaman/Lightning Tempest)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Armor of the First Altered (rare), ECA-AR4 'Space Revenant' rifle (rare), Outrider's pack & Enoch alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

20 hours ago, Kishi said:

You know better than us whether this means you need to adjust some things or else just to suck it up and get it done. Either way, we're here to root for you!

And this is why I keep coming back to these challenges. Thanks for the pep talk!

20 hours ago, Kishi said:

a rebellion against routine or else being overwhelmed somewhere else such that lifting heavy shit is hard.

This might offer some insight. I’ve realized that I’m talking myself out of home workouts because I’m so sick of being at home, but going to the gym requires effort, so I talk myself out of it. Sometimes, it just helps to have some insight. Thanks again!

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Maybe I’m busting out of my slump. The last two days have been pretty good.

Today: 

✔️ daily 2 mile walk

✔️ Qigong session (20 minutes)

✔️ Good food choices. Chipotle for dinner, but tacos. Minimal cheese, no sour cream and NO chips and queso 

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

4 hours ago, RaveOnOn said:

And this is why I keep coming back to these challenges. Thanks for the pep talk!

This might offer some insight. I’ve realized that I’m talking myself out of home workouts because I’m so sick of being at home, but going to the gym requires effort, so I talk myself out of it. Sometimes, it just helps to have some insight. Thanks again!

Excellent insight. Hopefully if we pay attention we can notice patterns and figure out what causes the slumps and how to avoid or break through them.

4 hours ago, RaveOnOn said:

Maybe I’m busting out of my slump. The last two days have been pretty good.

Today: 

✔️ daily 2 mile walk

✔️ Qigong session (20 minutes)

✔️ Good food choices. Chipotle for dinner, but tacos. Minimal cheese, no sour cream and NO chips and queso 

Looking good!

Daily walk done, but did some scooter riding! Just bought it and I realized I’m a little afraid of it, so taking it out on small jaunts. Soooooo much fun!

B16B8CB7-D302-4B24-B56F-8B4614E34050.jpeg

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 6/28/2021 at 8:45 PM, RaveOnOn said:

I’m not sure why this challenge is so……challenging. I felt like I set myself reasonable goals, but I rarely get beyond the daily walk. It’s something in my brain, because I don’t feel tired or sore. I am being mindful of my food, so I guess that’s another thing going well. I just need to get on track with the movement stuff again.

Lots of people fail to do reasonable things and also succeed at doing unreasonable things, all the time. One thing that helps me is to go beyond the short-term challenge goals and try to put some mental focus on the longer-term actual reason(s) for doing this stuff. Are you trying to be healthy so you can stay alive on this earth longer and spend more time with the ones you love? Are you trying to improve your physique so when you go out in public, "everyone either wants you or wants to be you?" Are you sharpening your body into a weapon to wield against your enemies? In fact, I find the more unreasonable hopes/dreams/expectations to be more motivating than the reasonable ones. I can only speak for myself of course, but trying to bargain with myself about the "reasonableness" of something I just don't want to do mostly just makes me feel worse about not doing it. A far more successful way for my superego to penetrate my id is to bring it back to the raw emotions associated with these goals. Do it for love, do it for lust, do it for hate... not "because it's reasonable."

• Like 3

Stay awhile... we're liftin'

23 hours ago, Deckard Gainz said:

Lots of people fail to do reasonable things and also succeed at doing unreasonable things, all the time. One thing that helps me is to go beyond the short-term challenge goals and try to put some mental focus on the longer-term actual reason(s) for doing this stuff. Are you trying to be healthy so you can stay alive on this earth longer and spend more time with the ones you love? Are you trying to improve your physique so when you go out in public, "everyone either wants you or wants to be you?" Are you sharpening your body into a weapon to wield against your enemies? In fact, I find the more unreasonable hopes/dreams/expectations to be more motivating than the reasonable ones. I can only speak for myself of course, but trying to bargain with myself about the "reasonableness" of something I just don't want to do mostly just makes me feel worse about not doing it. A far more successful way for my superego to penetrate my id is to bring it back to the raw emotions associated with these goals. Do it for love, do it for lust, do it for hate... not "because it's reasonable."

This is, by far, some of the best advice I’ve ever had. Thank you!

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

✔️Daily walk (2 mi.  w/vest)

✔️Qigong (15 min.)

✔️ logged food-at least 80% clean (there was chocolate and wine)

Rode the scooter further than I have previously. On main roads! With cars! Got it up to nearly 55 mph and it was great. And a little chilly.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

✔️Daily walk (2 mi.  w/vest)

✔️ Gym workout (20 min. Cycling)

Working on getting out of the house more. Definitely a process to working back to “normal” 

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daily walk today. Scooter lessons took up a big chunk of the day so after 4 hours in the sun and a terrible commute home, no desire to do anything else. And, terrible food decisions at dinner. Breakfast and lunch were ok, and I met my water goal. 
Tomorrow is a new day.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]