TheFlyingAccountant Declutters the Hangar

It took me a little bit to come up with how to open this one. This morning felt like I was being crushed by all the noises swimming around in my head, so I thought "hey, these challenges should be about fixing the things that need to be fixed, right?" And getting some semblance of sanity around all of the stuff floating around is exactly what is needed.

So this is going to be the decluttering challenge for me. The fact is that I've got random crap everywhere. Random crap on my browsers. Notes kept in a myriad of places. Printer ink cartridges that need to be dropped off somewhere. Half-finished professional development projects. You name it. And all of these things are reminding me of my tendency to get excited, start a thing, and then wander off.

This is gonna be another "build this thing out as I go" sort of challenge, but the basic ken is this: Get rid of the stuff that's not helping; Optimize the stuff that is helping. 

Minimum Update frequency: Weekends.

Zero week: Use this to build out the challenge, rest from last challenge, set the stage for week one.

Objective: Get rid of stuff that ain't helping; Optimize the stuff that is.

Stuff that ain't helping.

1. Clutter in all the things.

Each weekend, my plan is to tackle an area that has gotten cluttered. It may be a shelf or a folder in my computer or whatever, but it's getting cleaned out.

2. Less-than-optimal eating habits.

If there's one thing my last challenge has shown me, it's that some of the things that I eat (e.g. an entire sleeve of oreos) aren't necessarily the healthiest. I'm going to riff on something that a friend of mine suggests: Rather than take away the bad things (which I will do, I promise), I'm going to add some good things. For each meal, I will add some kind of fruit or vegetable (non-potato vegetable, I mean).

Stuff that is helping.

-No alcohol for duration of challenge. Yep. Still a thing. I did promise my doctor that I would set a follow up appointment for her to check in on my liver enzymes and other stuff this summer assuming I was still able to keep up with the no alcohol thing. Considering that I am, I guess that's something I can use to augment this goal.

-Stronglifts 5X5. I wanna get Barbell Row and Bench Press to 135 lbs. Sure, there's other lifts that are important, too, but my upper body strength has always sucked, so hitting this milestone will be a huge ego boost.

-30 minutes of piano each day. While an hour a day was ambitious, it's not necessarily conducive for my work schedule right now. So 30 minutes it is. 

-Check planner daily.

-Record meals each day

• Like 2

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

1 hour ago, theflyingaccountant said:

so I thought "hey, these challenges should be about fixing the things that need to be fixed, right?"

EXACTLY. You do the job in front of you.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

16 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

EXACTLY. You do the job in front of you.

Word. 

Those jobs tend to change shape from time to time for me, but there's typically a theme that develops over time.

• Like 1

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

Yesterday ended up being one of those kinda-hectic-but-not-really-that-hectic sort of days where I ended up not getting much done anyway. 

Actually, it wasn't that hectic at all. I was just in an awful mood for most of the day, so my lack of progress was mostly due to "just not feeling like it." 

I did get some ideas for this challenge, though. 

First, I think I'm going to kick off the challenge officially this coming Saturday (the 19th). So 6/19 will be day one for me. 

Second, to avoid getting overwhelmed and confused by vague goals, I'm going to progress the decluttering challenge in stages. Each week gets a stage.

Stage 1: Declutter finances and schedule. 

-Since I more or less have a system in place for tracking my finances, I'm lumping these two together. The biggest thing I need to do is a careful review of my banking transactions across the last month to suss out any subscription charges or other recurring monthly outlays lurking around in there. I've gotten in the habit of not properly recording certain monthly expenses which makes it difficult to tell how much cash I really have at my disposal in a given month.

Stage 2: Declutter food.

-Food is probably my biggest expense thus far, both in terms of direct impact to my finances and in terms of my health. So this one's a high priority. The emphasis here is going to be on incorporating more green things and less brown things into my diet. Also making meals that are easy to prepare and repeatable. More details to come on this one later.

Stage 3: Declutter tech.

-This mainly means getting my password organizer *ahem* organized, doing a little cyber hygiene (updating passwords and whatnot), and officially moving things over to the Vivaldi browser (which I've decided that I love). I'm also going to explore ways to sort through / get rid of all of the logical crap I have floating around out there (e.g. applications and accounts that aren't being used, tech that I don't understand how to use, etc.)

Stage 4: Declutter physical space.

-This will kinda sorta blend into Stage 3. In fact, I'll probably end up merging the two into a two-week decluttering extravaganza. Not only do I have too much crap in my logical space, I've also got too much crap in my physical space. 

Stage 5: Declutter brain.

-I almost made this my first stage, but then thought "nah." This needs to be my last stage since, in some ways, decluttering all these other areas helps to declutter my brain. So I'm kinda doing Stage 5 throughout. But it would also make for a good final stage to take a close look at the more unhelpful thought patterns (the need to control all the things for example) and clean out the ones that aren't helping me.

It's worth noting that these "stages" are going to be intended to "get the ball rolling." I think setting a goal to have a lifetime of bad food habits "decluttered" in a week is a little nuts. But if there's practical steps I can take to move in the right direction that week, that's what I want to focus on. The objective for these stages is merely to build repeatable processes and habits. 

And I don't yet have practical steps for doing these stages yet. But that's what I'm using the 0 week for. To build out a practical strategy for undertaking these so that I start the challenge off on the right foot.

One last thing: I discovered a new brain hack from Tim Ferriss. Cold showers. As I mentioned, I had been feeling depressed all day, and was having a super hard time shaking myself out of it. I heard Ferriss mention cold water immersion as a way of improving mood. So, I took a 30 second shower on the coldest setting. By damn if it didn't work!

So there you have it. In a funk that you can't shake? Go take a cold shower. 

• Like 2

Moar tweaks.

1. Piano-Shifting to 30 mins per day instead of 1 hour. 1 hour each day, while it would be great if I can pull it off, just isn't such a hot idea when I'm in the throes of the busiest time of my work-year. So 30 mins per day it is, which means more time to hang out with tha wifey. I'm going to divvy up the time as 15 mins on Have Yourself... and 15 mins in Blues Hanon with any extra time devoted to whatever the heck I feel like at the moment. If I get 30 more mins in just screwing around, then cool. If not, that's cool too.

• Like 2

I keep thinking "maybe I should start this challenge off early" this week instead of waiting until Saturday.

In some ways, I pretty much already have started decluttering my finances. Turns out that a review of my cash transactions did not take several days of diligent combing through CSV files, but rather about 15 minutes (thank you pivot tables). I guess our spending isn't really that interesting, which I think is a good thing because interesting=more work for the family accountant. Still need to go through the credit card transactions, though.

Methinks the biggest challenge in this, um, challenge, is going to be time. Got to the end of my workday yesterday and yet again thought "where the hell has my entire day gotten off to?" Hence, the adjustment to the piano playing schedule.

Besides, it sorta defeats the purpose of these challenges if I'm devoting all my remaining time to knocking out challenges and spending almost none of that on things like spending time with my family and such. 

The rest of this time then, is going to be devoted to cleaning this thing up. Piano stuff and anything else that I would typically add to my growing list of routines is (are?) officially on pause until Saturday until this gets cleaned up.

Except stronglifts and not drinking alcohol. Gotta get my workout in, and, well, not doing a thing doesn't really take up any time, does it?

• Like 2

Brief update:

1. This challenge still under construction. Won't be making many updates, though expect to roll out final version sometime tomorrow afternoon.

2. Strongly considering doing some NF forums "re-branding" for lack of a better term. "TheFlyingAccountant" while clever at the time (and served its purpose), is not my favorite profile name. Plus, I want to move toward something that permits more creativity with these challenges.

3. This just in-New sink faucet has arrived. Mrs. TheFlyingAccountant got the thing out of the box and then proudly announced "Just shut the water off, and I'll get it all set up for you!" I then explained to her that "getting it all set up" meant crawling around under the gross space under the kitchen and rooting around underneath the counter, and she went

nahfam.gif.56334f7dda391ce4b10f469a9a7dfa6f.gif

• Like 2

And this challenge is now officially under way.

Today's update:

Woke up at 7 am (another unspoken mini-challenge that I have is to wake up at the same time each morning, which, these days, is 7). 

Daily Planner Check: Doing it now. Decided to start using my Click-Up planner on my work computer which has helped tremendously with keeping me on track with work stuff.

Alcohol: Still going strong on this one. Today makes 169 out of 365 days without having any alcohol.

Lifts: Stronglifts went well yesterday. Have not failed out on any of the lifts yet, but came close with OHP at 70 lbs. 

Record meals daily: Today's breakfast thus far consists of two cups of coffee. Going to hop off in a sec and fix some steel cut oats and strawberries (so there's my fruit with that meal).

In other news, the kitchen sink faucet has officially been repaired. For all my poking fun at Mrs. TheFlyingAccountant in the previous post, she was the one who got up under the sink to finish one of the harder parts of the job. I'm super proud of her, especially since the area under our sink is probably the last place she'd want to stick her entire upper torso. 

• Like 2

And meals for the rest of the day were as follows:

-Several cans of lacroix (well, the contents in the cans. Not the cans themselves.)

-Bowl of leftover broccoli and noodle soup.

-Air fryer chicken thighs with sauteed green beans and baked potatoes.

-Waffles with honey and banana slices.

For tonight, at least, it didn't seem too difficult to incorporate a fruit or vegetable into something that I ate. Bonus, I leveraged my laziness to keep myself from driving to the store for junk food.  Less crap in my body and more cash for TEH STONKS.

Been playing the heck out of the piano. I can feel a little bit of that pump you get when you do vigorous exercise, but around my knuckles and fingers. It's a cool feeling, even if it's just in my hands. Tryna decide if I want to relax the rest of the night or just mess around some more.

• Like 2

Today's update:

Been a chill day thus far. Dogs woke me up at around 5:30 am just to stand around and look dumb at me while I tried to convince them to go outside and potty. Wife has been out of the house, so other than that, I've just farted around all morning. I need to do some laundry. Need to get around to some decluttering (oh yeah, that's a thing, right). I took out the recycling. That counts for something, right? Maybe I just pick a spot and get started after breakfast. So...inbox. And folder tray holder thingie. Don't know what it's called. Thing that holds folders. Yeah.

Probs need to wait until later to do any piano stuff. Hand / shoulder still a little tired from last night.

Hoping we get some rain today. Looks like we might. Garden could use it.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2021 at 7:39 PM, theflyingaccountant said:

In other news, the kitchen sink faucet has officially been repaired. For all my poking fun at Mrs. TheFlyingAccountant in the previous post, she was the one who got up under the sink to finish one of the harder parts of the job. I'm super proud of her, especially since the area under our sink is probably the last place she'd want to stick her entire upper torso. 

Good for her :)  Also congratulations on having a fixed faucet

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, Spot Reduce [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Good for her :)  Also congratulations on having a fixed faucet

I know. I didn't realize how much not having a kitchen faucet put a damper on my style until it happened. 

• Like 2

Update for rest of Sat and Sun morning:

First, Sat food log

Think I had three cups of coffee altogether. Breakfast was oatmeal with bananas. Lunch was leftovers from Fri (chicken thighs and half a baked potato). Dinner was ground turkey tacos with pico and cheese. Aside from lunch with the baked potato, I managed to mix some healthier fruits and veggies in there. Yesterday was definitely a "keep the grocery spending to a minimum" sort of day. But, we ate our leftovers and I only went to the grocery store for the bare essentials which means less food gets wasted.

Did more piano stuff. Nothing too dramatic. Switched to one of my jazz books for scale work since I've been getting a little bored with the same ol' running up and down the scale in 8th notes. I need some context, man. Haven't really touched Mikrokosmos in a while. I might go back to it once I start hitting a plateau, but not for a little while. 

I'm finding that stretches of music with 32nd note patterns isn't quite as intimidating. On a certain level, it's just math, right? A 32nd note is half of a 16th note. So I set the metronome to something slow and turn it over so that I just hear clicks. If I treat the clicks as 16th notes (one (click) e (click) and (click) a (click)), then my 32nd notes feel like 8th notes which is way easier to practice. After that, it's just a matter of getting in my reps until my muscle memory takes over. Counting out loud helps a lot, too.

I'm also experimenting with drum tracks on YouTube which makes my blues and jazz practices feel a little more natural.

Did not really do any planner checking Saturday. I'm okay with this.

Next, Sunday update:

Two...cups of coffee...I...think? Two. We'll go with that. 

Almost out of oatmilk, so consumed the last of the two frozen waffles. Ate them with a couple handfuls of blueberries, so there's my fruit intake. Lunch today is going to be more turkey tacos with pico. Probs should grab some tortillas and more oatmilk this afternoon. Supper's going to be air fryer chicken legs (99 cents a pound, baby) and some sort of green thing. If they're still good, green beans. If not, I'll grab something cheap at the store.

Did some scale work on the piano for about 20 minutes on the ii-V-I pattern. Will work on "Have Yourself..." later this evening.

And finally, GOALS:

Been thinking a little bit this morning about where I'm going with all of this. Rather than come up with goals and stuff ahead of time and then work to meet them, my preferred approach is to observe myself, see where my tendencies lie, and then build my goals around that. Kind of like how planners will watch college students make ruts in the grass to see which path they naturally take, and then build pathways on those ruts. 

Flying remains my epic quest (hence the name). So a lot of these goals are working towards that. I need money. I also need my health. And then piano is just there because I've always wanted to learn to play piano. So, we have our EPIC GOALS and our milestones.

EPIC Goal 1: Earn enough passive income to finance my flying dream. (I'll figure out what "enough" means later. For now, enough probably means at least $1,000 per month.)

EPIC Goal 2: Get good enough at piano to be able to play in public for $$. (Might as well monetize it, right?)

EPIC Goal 3: Be healthier and more fit in my 60's than I am in my 30's. (Considering the fact that I'm not all that fit in my 30's, it's not an unreasonable goal. Also, yeah, aging and other caveats apply. But I think it's doable.)

EPIC Goal 4: Build a healthy accounting / consulting career.

That said, here are my milestones for this challenge (and possibly the next one).

Milestone 1.1: Earn $25.00 per month in passive income.

Milestone 2.1: Be able to play "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" all the way through one time without stopping.

Milestone 3.1: Consume no alcohol for all of 2021.

Milestone 3.2: Do one chin-up.

Milestone 3.3: Eat one healthy fruit or vegetable with every meal.

Milestone 4.1: Each week on Sunday, do a full GTD (getting things done) weekly review.

• Like 3

Here for the declutter and all the goals! 

You have nice well rounded goals, and may the fitness journey get better as others fit in.

May I ask how you are looking at passive income? I've been personally passively thinking about it with steps toward mindfulness and decluttering life. Just curious where you see it at!

Fresh Druid Graduate Lvl 0

"It’s not what we say is a priority, but what we actually DO that’s a priority.”

(Quote from J.D Roth/ @Steve's Article https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/priorities/)

30 minutes ago, Fairly_Bouncer said:

May I ask how you are looking at passive income? I've been personally passively thinking about it with steps toward mindfulness and decluttering life. Just curious where you see it at!

Absolutely. Right now, it's through dividend income from the stock / ETFs (exchange-traded funds) that I hold. I've got a Vanguard account that I set up a while back that I use to store my family's and my own excess cash. I got a little crazy a few weeks back and swapped out some of my ETFs for some higher dividend paying stocks since most of my ETFs have a relatively low yield (around 1.3% to 2.6%). It's definitely a much riskier position, but I'm still picking relatively stable companies (for the most part), and I'm not committing anything that I'm not afraid to lose.

I think investing and saving is a great thing to think about, especially when it comes to protecting the value of your money against inflation. Plus, dividend income is a way easier source of passive income than, say, owning rental properties. The big thing is patience and expectations management. It's going to take a metric f$#kton of cash to generate $1,000 per month of passive dividend income (hence it's an epic goal), but I think it's mathematically doable. That's the beauty of compounding. Small, consistent tweaks over long periods of time can eventually lead to epic results. 

What sort of goals are you looking at when it comes to saving? Mostly just improving your credit or are you trying to save for something?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, theflyingaccountant said:

That's the beauty of compounding. Small, consistent tweaks over long periods of time can eventually lead to epic results. 

Excuse me as I throw this into my signature... 

For me I have been at poverty level my whole adult life and just a newly graduate with my undergrad. At this point working on a needed buffer, and being mindful of my spending habits. 

Will be doing investing in the future, but nothing to play with comfortably at the moment. 

• Like 1

"It’s not what we say is a priority, but what we actually DO that’s a priority.”

(Quote from J.D Roth/ @Steve's Article https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/priorities/)

1 hour ago, Fairly_Bouncer said:

For me I have been at poverty level my whole adult life and just a newly graduate with my undergrad. At this point working on a needed buffer, and being mindful of my spending habits. 

Will be doing investing in the future, but nothing to play with comfortably at the moment. 

And being at the poverty level is awful. Been there myself when I was younger.

But congratulations on graduating! That's a huge step you've made towards changing that.

Have you been able to put together a rough breakdown of how much you're bringing in and how much is going out yet?

• Like 1

How did you pick your first round of low risk investments? That's  been most of what's been holding me back on it, I don't have a great sense of the strategy.

(My strategy on retirement is that one account uses a target date fund so experts can rebalanced it for me, and the other follows Buffet's advice to just keep a static split between high growth S&P to track the market and low risk for immediate needs. So I'm not at all averse to picking funds and letting other people have the expertise. If I'd been a little more on the ball a few years back, maybe I would have been picking target date accounts with dates for big purchases in mind, but I didn't have that clear a plan. And still don't; life has a way of throwing things up in the air.)

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

How did you pick your first round of low risk investments? That's  been most of what's been holding me back on it, I don't have a great sense of the strategy.

(My strategy on retirement is that one account uses a target date fund so experts can rebalanced it for me, and the other follows Buffet's advice to just keep a static split between high growth S&P to track the market and low risk for immediate needs. So I'm not at all averse to picking funds and letting other people have the expertise. If I'd been a little more on the ball a few years back, maybe I would have been picking target date accounts with dates for big purchases in mind, but I didn't have that clear a plan. And still don't; life has a way of throwing things up in the air.)

Kinda similar to your approach except without using the target date fund. My logic has been just to park cash somewhere such that it grows fast enough to beat inflation.  Vanguard has some of its mutual funds (e.g. the S&P Index Fund) as ETF shares, so I was able to park some cash there until I could afford the $3,000 minimum for the mutual fund. I also tried to keep a roughly 60 - 40 split between bond ETFs and stock ETFs. I mostly picked mine based on price and dividend payout. Had some in the tax free municipal bond ETF for a while. Also the high dividend yield ETFs.

Honestly, it was mostly just "read the name of the fund and if it looked like something that was familiar to me (e.g. the S&P Index Fund) or looked like something I thought I might want (the high yield dividend fund), and was reasonably priced, I snapped it up. My logic was anything was better than nothing, even if it underperformed for a while. I would eventually learn how to identify what worked well and what didn't. Other than that, it was a matter of trying to keep that balance of roughly 60% in stocks and 40% in bonds.

On 6/14/2021 at 1:10 PM, theflyingaccountant said:

And all of these things are reminding me of my tendency to get excited, start a thing, and then wander off.

Oh hi, are you me? Because this sounds uncomfortably familiar.

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

4 hours ago, theflyingaccountant said:

And being at the poverty level is awful. Been there myself when I was younger.

But congratulations on graduating! That's a huge step you've made towards changing that.

Have you been able to put together a rough breakdown of how much you're bringing in and how much is going out yet?

Thank you have been working on it, have tracked consistently for 7 weeks now! Heck yeah! Realizing my need for intentional spending to live my means. 

The darn food is what gets to me a long with pretty things. Working on it like strength training for once, consistently! 

• Like 1

Update for Sunday evening:

Got my piano work in. 32nd notes don't seem quite so daunting anymore (though I still haven't the foggiest idea how to count them-The closest I can come up with is to say "bubble" instead of "one" or "e" when I'm counting 16th notes.) Blues Hanon #10 still feels a little awkward, but it's getting there. I might flip back and roll through some easier exercises just for the psychological comfort.

Stronglifts is done. Failed my last set on the low row which is a win (because now it means I know where my strength limit is at--any weight increase after that point that I can handle means that I'm getting measurably stronger.)

Lunch was turkey tacos with pico. Dinner was chicken legs with sauteed broccoli. Then Mrs. TFA and I went to get ice cream and marveled out how long it's been since we've done something insane like go out for ice cream.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

Oh hi, are you me? Because this sounds uncomfortably familiar.

Pretty much the story of my creative life. I'm almost 40, and I don't think I've finished a single piece of writing or music yet.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Fairly_Bouncer said:

Thank you have been working on it, have tracked consistently for 7 weeks now! Heck yeah! Realizing my need for intentional spending to live my means. 

The darn food is what gets to me a long with pretty things. Working on it like strength training for once, consistently! 

Writing my spending information down was far and away the best thing I ever did for my finances. And food tends to be my biggest culprit, too. I think food is an important financial challenge to tackle since you can use the same tactics to eat cheaper that you would to eat healthier (Cook at home more, eat smaller portions, track your food, etc.). Not to mention, nutritious food keeps you healthy which cuts down significantly on medical costs as you get older. 

It's a super hard challenge for me. Yeah, it pretty much is like strength training. And for me, it's a never ending struggle.

• Like 1

Update:

Alcohol-Still no alcohol.

Piano-Got my 15 mins (more like 30 or 40) on Blues Hanon and another 15 on "Have Yourself."

Food-Breakfast was steel cut oats, strawberries, and honey. Mrs. TFA seems to think that I have "perfected" oatmeal. All I'm doing is following the directions on the box, plus using oatmilk (how meta!) and some other stuff.

Lunch was taco meat in a baked potato with cheese and pico de gallo on top (pico counts as a fruit / vegetable, right?).

Dinner was same as yesterday-Chicken legs and green beans. Proud of myself for rationing my food as it meant we had plenty of stuff to cook today and still have stuff we can cook for tomorrow and the next day. Sure, it means eating the same meal a few nights in a row, but, hell, people have been doing that for generations. 

Stronglifts-Rest day.

Planner and GTD and Decluttering-Not only am I recording things on my Next Actions list, but--*gasp!*--I'm actually doing one or two of them. For instance, I framed my puppy's certificate from the vet (radiation treatments on his leg-long story there), cleaned out the litterbox, made a bed or two, picked up some laundry, yada yada. My inbox is looking nice and clean, too. OH, and I finished my big audit of our cash / credit card spending. Only took me about 15 minutes (though my brain had me thinking it would take all day cause my brain is weird like that.)

• Like 1