Ranger Hal Earns Points v2

Earning POINTS! and LOOT! seemed to work fairly well last challenge. I kept doing things through the entire challenge and posted almost every day, so that was good. However, exercise didn't happen as much as I would like. So I'm going to adjust the points of daily tasks. The stuff that was going well will be 1/2 point each. The stuff that wasn't getting done very regularly will be 2 points each. There will also be bonus tasks for varying numbers of points. I may add bonus tasks partway through the challenge as well if new ideas come up.

Daily Tasks (1/2 point each)

Morning prayers
Evening prayers
Do the dishes after dinner
Brush and floss teeth in the evening

Daily Tasks (2 points each)
Walk 1 mile in the morning
Evening workout (1 round min) or walk (20 min)
Tidy or clean for 5 minutes

Bonus Tasks
25 points for getting my truck an oil change (it's way overdue)
5 points for every time I fill my yard waste bin at least 3/4 full (points awarded when pickup occurs, every two weeks)
5 points for hiking more than 4 miles (max 2 times per week, does not include climbing trips)

5 points for setting up an eye appointment (routine check)

5 points for each window screen built (or repaired)
1 point for going to weeknight rigging practice
1 point for yardwork

Rules
Five points = $1
I will order a loot item as soon as I have enough money "saved" up

Loot - Books

Storm Front (hardcover)

Defender of the Flame

Herald of the Flame

The Way of Kings (hardcover)

Words of Radiance (hardcover)

Oathbringer (hardcover)

Starting Points: 100

(left over from last challenge that I didn't spend on loot yet)

• Like 2

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 20212022

8 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

Storm Front (hardcover)

Have you read the series or are you just starting?

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

1 hour ago, Sciread77 said:

Have you read the series or are you just starting?

I've read the series. It's one of a handful where I will buy the books new in hardcover instead of waiting to borrow them from the library. However, I only have paperbacks for the first eight books and all the used hardcovers of those ones that I've seen have been selling for a couple hundred dollars each. It looks like there's currently a reprint of Storm Front in hardcover, so I thought I should pick one up while they're available for a reasonable price.

• Like 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20Current

1 hour ago, Ranger Hal said:

I've read the series. It's one of a handful where I will buy the books new in hardcover instead of waiting to borrow them from the library. However, I only have paperbacks for the first eight books and all the used hardcovers of those ones that I've seen have been selling for a couple hundred dollars each. It looks like there's currently a reprint of Storm Front in hardcover, so I thought I should pick one up while they're available for a reasonable price.

Gotcha. I have all of them as audiobooks with James Marston reading. Enjoyable series I have serious mixed feelings on lol. 

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

3 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Gotcha. I have all of them as audiobooks with James Marston reading. Enjoyable series I have serious mixed feelings on lol. 

I have borrowed the audiobooks from the library (more than once) and the narrator is excellent! I enjoy the series as well, but I'm kind of worried about where it's going and who Harry will be when he gets there. I didn't read the last two until a month or two after the second one came out, even though I bought them both on their respective release dates. I'm blaming Covid for that. At that point in the pandemic, I wasn't feeling emotionally safe enough to deal with Dresden's problems.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ranger Hal said:

I have borrowed the audiobooks from the library (more than once) and the narrator is excellent! I enjoy the series as well, but I'm kind of worried about where it's going and who Harry will be when he gets there. I didn't read the last two until a month or two after the second one came out, even though I bought them both on their respective release dates. I'm blaming Covid for that. At that point in the pandemic, I wasn't feeling emotionally safe enough to deal with Dresden's problems.

I hear you. My wife started the audiobooks a while back and I joined in. I have a love hate relationship with Dresden and there have been several story turns that I just hated. I loved Changes, hated Ghost Story, and find other things falling somewhere in the middle. Yeah, in a lot of ways the early books were bad but I also really love a good trashy private eye novel and those were that plus magic lol. 

In any case, I also am worried about where Harry is going, and I mostly took a break during COVID as well for similar reasons. Then I blasted through 2 of them in a row when I tried doing the 75 Hard challenge. 

The narrator, James Marsters, also played Spike on Buffy the Vampire Slayer so I knew and loved his voice already but definitely fell in love with it as Harry Dresden’s voice. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

Yeah, in a lot of ways the early books were bad but I also really love a good trashy private eye novel and those were that plus magic lol. 

This matches my thoughts on the early books as well. It's kind of cool to see an author's writing improve over time, but really jarring to go back and read their earlier work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

This matches my thoughts on the early books as well. It's kind of cool to see an author's writing improve over time, but really jarring to go back and read their earlier work.

Yeah, and I’ll say I haven’t gone back to reread any of them either so I mostly remember world building and stuff I liked. But I didn’t get into it for world class writing really, I got into it because James Marsters was the narrator and I like wizards 😂 

I thought it was a cool story how Jim Butcher was against formulaic writing, tried it, and was both successful and found it to be remarkably freeing. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Week 0, Tuesday - 5 points

Morning prayers

Yardwork (blackberries)

Evening walk

Evening prayers

Dishes

Brush teeth

Huh, it sure felt like I did a lot more yesterday. It was probably the yardwork. I did a lot for only one point, but I will get +5 points today because I completely filled the bin and it got picked up this morning.

Total Points: 111

• Like 2

Week 0, Thursday - 6 points

Morning prayers

Clean (bathroom sink)

Dishes

Evening "walk" (0.8 mi)

Evening prayers

Brush teeth

Total Points: 126

Last year we had almost daily SAR calls through the month of July and first half of August. I'm a little worried that might be starting again. We're on day 4 and headed into the weekend. It would be more fun if I wasn't stuck at work.

• Like 1

Week 0, Friday - 2 points

Morning prayers

Evening prayers

Dishes

Brush teeth

Week 0, Saturday - 3.5 points

Trail work hike

Evening prayers

Dishes

Brush teeth

Week 0, Sunday - 4.5 points

"Hike"

Yardwork

Dishes

Evening prayers

Brush teeth

Total Points: 136

Week 1, Tuesday - 6.5 points

Morning prayers

Yardwork

Tidy (put remaining magazines on a shelf)

Dishes

Evening prayers

Workout (Bodyweight 1B)

Total Points: 145

Need to brush teeth in the evening. Missing two in a row is not good.

• Like 1

Well, it was the weekend and then we went and broke all-time high temperature records and I've been trying not to melt in my non-air-conditioned house. So I haven't been doing most of the things and have been keeping track of even less of them. I'm going to try to do a summary of what I think happened over the last few days.

Week 1, Friday through Week 2, Monday - 7 points

Morning prayers x2

Exercise (scramble, walk) x2

Brush teeth x2

Dishes x1

Evening prayers x1

Total Points: 161.5

If I'm lucky, the temperature will have dropped enough that I'm willing to cook some food tonight (on the stove, still too hot for the oven). I emptied the dish drainer this morning, so there's a chance that dishes might happen tonight!

Saturday's scramble was really rough. Multiple times I thought that I should be having fun (like normally I enjoy the type of scrambling that was occurring at that particular point) and I just wasn't. Not enough food was likely part of the problem, but the heat and my conditioning level may have also played into it. Yesterday, I was told that I probably shouldn't sign up for a climb (well, first position on the wait list anyway) that I wanted to go on because my conditioning level probably isn't where it should be. Now I my brain is kind of freaking out that nobody will want me on their climbs and it's too late to get my conditioning where it needs to be and what if I can't finish my climbing class because I can't get all the climbs I need to graduate. And then there's the lazy part of me that just wants to come home after work and hang out in the house which won't improve conditioning at all. Things need fixing, but my motivation is low.

• Like 1

Hopefully you survived the heat. Tomorrow is supposed to be even cooler. We have AC in our bedroom, which is nice. But the thermometer in our kitchen last nights said 94! I pretty much stayed out of it,  Was in there a bit today, but it's still hot. Sorry about the climb. Is the climbing class part of your search and rescue or something you are doing for fun? I ask because maybe it's just something that you aren't enjoying, as opposed to be lazy. For me, I do think I have to push myself past the inertia to do stuff, but if it's a constant struggle, then I think (especially if it's just something I do for enjoyment) then I figure I need to find something else. 

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Hopefully you survived the heat. Tomorrow is supposed to be even cooler. We have AC in our bedroom, which is nice. But the thermometer in our kitchen last nights said 94! I pretty much stayed out of it,  Was in there a bit today, but it's still hot.

I did survive the heat. I don't have AC (except when I go into the office) and the highest temp I saw in my house was 92 yesterday evening. It was 84 when I got home today which is almost reasonable!

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sorry about the climb. Is the climbing class part of your search and rescue or something you are doing for fun? I ask because maybe it's just something that you aren't enjoying, as opposed to be lazy. For me, I do think I have to push myself past the inertia to do stuff, but if it's a constant struggle, then I think (especially if it's just something I do for enjoyment) then I figure I need to find something else. 

The climbing class is not part of SAR, although more skills in that area certainly don't hurt and may eventually open up some opportunities in the climbing rescue side (if my climbing skills progress far enough; that's likely to take at least a couple of years if I decide I even want to go that far). I have generally enjoyed the climbing and scrambling that I've done, but I think a big part of it for me is the social side, doing something with other people, because I generally don't care what we climb. So maybe that's part of my problem. We were kind of left on our own to get in shape (and stay in shape) for the climbing season (although we did have to pass a minimum requirement which I did a couple of months ago). I have done plenty of solo hiking and in theory I could do more of that to get in shape, but I've noticed in the last year that I've been a lot more reluctant to go out by myself, particularly on weeknights and I suspect that's at least somewhat related to living alone during the pandemic. Finding someone to hike with on a regular basis might be helpful (cue social anxiety). Also, while I know that being in good shape for future climbs will make them much more enjoyable, hiking up the same familiar mountains just for exercise isn't that fun, so I may have a bit of a mental roadblock on the training side.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ranger Hal said:

Also, while I know that being in good shape for future climbs will make them much more enjoyable, hiking up the same familiar mountains just for exercise isn't that fun, so I may have a bit of a mental roadblock on the training side.

Maybe on the weekends look for some other hikes in different areas?  There are lots of places to hike around.

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien