Elastigirl-Princess Tianna

On 7/12/2021 at 6:35 AM, Elastigirl said:

Other stuff:

Thoughts from reading Eating Skills;

Right now what I want to do is to eat to maintain. Just eat sensibly. I struggle with that when I'm not calorie counting. I think the calorie counting gives me accountability .But , I don't really want to do it now. So what I need to do is just develop some good skills and habits. One of the things that gets me is having "just a little bit more" where after I finish a meal , I go and graze. Here is my plan:

Plate a good balanced meal

after  the meal go and do something that keeps me engaged

If I want something more; wait at least 10 minutes. If I haven't finished my water , finish a glass

If I decide I still want something ; sit down and eat it

This sounds like a useful book. I'm also trying to maintain (firstly to have a break from dieting and secondly so I don't have to buy new clothes). I have been eating small meals with a piece of dark chocolate and tea afterwards. Seems to curb further cravings.

25 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Last year, I worked on defining my values for eating. It seemed like it was semi helpful, but I wasn't sure how to apply it to every situation. My values are self discipline and joy. But I didn't really find it helpful to ask myself "Is this choice aligning with my values?'  It didn't seem to stop me from grabbing the extra handful of chocolate chips to snack on. But, maybe it was somewhat helpful. Because what I am doing now, with trying to allow myself more food, and just say yes to the treats, but then keeping it to the chosen treats seems to be a good way of combining joy and self discipline. So, when I felt like I was struggling to live by my values, I thought about how I could set myself up for a win , instead of feeling like I was not following them. Does that make sense? 

They were probably too abstract to guide your behaviour in that moment, but I imagine if you reflect on them frequently they will shape your choices over time. And planning based on your values is perfect, so yeah, that makes sense.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

Brené Brown has some great stuff on values in Part 2 of Dare to Lead. I read it for a training course over the winter, I'll have to dig it back out and hit the highlights again, but I would say you are definitely on the right track!

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

1 hour ago, Artemis Prime said:

Brené Brown has some great stuff on values in Part 2 of Dare to Lead. I read it for a training course over the winter, I'll have to dig it back out and hit the highlights again, but I would say you are definitely on the right track!

I endorse any recommendations to read something by that author. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

So this can be a bit of a sensitive topic so I will try to word it carefully as I mean no offense by it (obviously) it was just a point of view that I found interesting. I forgot what book I read it in.

But there is this big craze right now of self affirmation and setting goals and motivation etc etc etc. And how at the end of the day if you have to stand in front of the mirror every day and say "i am happy" or "i love myself" and don't actually believe it obviously there is a problem and these things aren't true. 

I bring this up because you mention defining your values. And I think you are NAILING it. And your last sentence especially hits the nail on the head. The spirit and the idea of these values should be something that becomes habit and part of who you are. And while you don't want to make excuses to excuse poor habits, understanding the fluidity of life and all situations can make them far more powerful.

There is nothing wrong with self affirmation, defining goals, etc. The problem is at some point you have to believe these things not just say them. And it sounds like you are doing it right!

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Currently Posting in -->Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] 

15 minutes ago, cn3wton said:

There is nothing wrong with self affirmation, defining goals, etc. The problem is at some point you have to believe these things not just say them. And it sounds like you are doing it right!

I also think that problems arise when you choose values or goals not for the person you aspire to be, but the person you *think* you should aspire to be, because of cultural and social pressures. Just because something sounds good on paper it doesn't mean that it's actually relevant or applicable to ones own situation.

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I also think that problems arise when you choose values or goals not for the person you aspire to be, but the person you *think* you should aspire to be, because of cultural and social pressures. Just because something sounds good on paper it doesn't mean that it's actually relevant or applicable to ones own situation.

Exactly! 

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

On 7/11/2021 at 11:35 PM, Elastigirl said:

I think the calorie counting gives me accountability .But , I don't really want to do it now. So what I need to do is just develop some good skills and habits

On 7/12/2021 at 10:14 PM, Elastigirl said:

It's a few things

1) sometimes it's a sweet craving

2) sometimes something just tasted so good , I want more

3) sometimes it's just grazing as I put away the meal

4) rarely is it actual hunger

These two statements are exactly me, lol!

I did end up abandoning the calorie track for right now and ... I dunno what is working this time, but a 4 day streak of eating reasonably and without the stress of numbers is really motivating me to not slip up and over do things.   One thing I have been actively doing on this, is, when I pick something up I want, I really firmly remind myself, that I can have a bit.   And at some later point I can have it again.  Often, that later is 'days later'.     Admittedly, this has NOT worked in the past.  I think my bandwidth right now has been kind to me and realized that this needs to work, because the energy I used to use for counting, really needs to be rerouted to another function for the time being.

Also, I missed your challenge for like 3 weeks, and I dunno how!  I am mostly caught up now though!  :)

• Like 2

Level 75.5 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

On 7/13/2021 at 9:57 PM, Harriet said:

This sounds like a useful book. I'm also trying to maintain (firstly to have a break from dieting and secondly so I don't have to buy new clothes). I have been eating small meals with a piece of dark chocolate and tea afterwards. Seems to curb further cravings.

They were probably too abstract to guide your behaviour in that moment, but I imagine if you reflect on them frequently they will shape your choices over time. And planning based on your values is perfect, so yeah, that makes sense.

My problem is the piece of dark chocolate leads to just one more piece, and then another, and ... I love the tea idea. I did that today, and it helped. I put some stevia in it, so it was even a sweet treat! Taking the time and sipping on it helped me slow down and enjoy my muffin, which seemed to curb further cravings

On 7/14/2021 at 5:42 AM, Artemis Prime said:

Thanks for the recommendation!

On 7/14/2021 at 6:54 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I endorse any recommendations to read something by that author. 

🙂

On 7/14/2021 at 7:16 AM, cn3wton said:

So this can be a bit of a sensitive topic so I will try to word it carefully as I mean no offense by it (obviously) it was just a point of view that I found interesting. I forgot what book I read it in.

But there is this big craze right now of self affirmation and setting goals and motivation etc etc etc. And how at the end of the day if you have to stand in front of the mirror every day and say "i am happy" or "i love myself" and don't actually believe it obviously there is a problem and these things aren't true. 

I bring this up because you mention defining your values. And I think you are NAILING it. And your last sentence especially hits the nail on the head. The spirit and the idea of these values should be something that becomes habit and part of who you are. And while you don't want to make excuses to excuse poor habits, understanding the fluidity of life and all situations can make them far more powerful.

I think that is very true. Taking the time to see why my values may not be lining up with my actions is actually really helpful. I mean, we rarely make it 100%, but I felt like it was just constantly, and that was not making me happy.

On 7/14/2021 at 7:37 AM, Mad Hatter said:

I've done that with goals. "I'm going to be super lean and never eat any sugar"! 😄 Until I go out with my friends and we have dessert and wine. Thinking about what my values are helps me to realize I value that time with my friends and family, and I don't really care if I'm super lean. I think I'm better on values, and knowing what they are.

1 hour ago, Starpuck said:

These two statements are exactly me, lol!

I did end up abandoning the calorie track for right now and ... I dunno what is working this time, but a 4 day streak of eating reasonably and without the stress of numbers is really motivating me to not slip up and over do things.   One thing I have been actively doing on this, is, when I pick something up I want, I really firmly remind myself, that I can have a bit.   And at some later point I can have it again.  Often, that later is 'days later'.     Admittedly, this has NOT worked in the past.  I think my bandwidth right now has been kind to me and realized that this needs to work, because the energy I used to use for counting, really needs to be rerouted to another function for the time being.

Also, I missed your challenge for like 3 weeks, and I dunno how!  I am mostly caught up now though!  :)

Yes, I  sometimes catch myself acting as if this is the last chance I will have to eat something. so I have to remind myself that I can have it later too.  I'm also just  starting out my meal with more on my plate, including treats, and giving myself permission to eat it. That makes it way easier to say no to the cravings.

• Like 3

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Yesterday was good. Had friends over for prayer. One of my friends was just here for this week, since she works at a summer camp. so afterward we all went out to lunch. Then came home and  Idid my workout. Worked in the garden a bit. Replanted my Dahlias. I had some bulbs I planted in pots, but the pots were too small, so I planted them in bigger pots.  Went for a walk in the evening. I also looked for closet organizing stuff for my crafts. My head was spinning, and I couldn't visualize how it would work. The closet systems are kind of spendy, so I was worried about making a wrong choice. You know where you buy something, it doesn't work, but you have to use it anyway because you feel guilty tossing it after spending money on it? Talked with hubby a bit, and talking through it helped me a bit.  I need to go look at Home Depot again.

Today did the L-sit work, then went and walked on the school track .DId  some brisk walk, and even a bit of jogging. The jogging thing was just sore of a whim to see how it worked. I also worked on a new staff skill. Always good for me. I get super frustrated at first, hang in with it, and almost get it.

Today after lunch. I tried @Harriet's idea of drinking tea. I had planned to have a muffin as a dessert so I did that, and had tea, Afterwards I was satisfied and no cravings.Sipping on tea and having a muffin was a nice relaxing treat. I also had potato chips with lunch. I had tortillas, and normally then I don't have any more carbs, but I felt like it. What I'm focusing on right now is more yes's during my meal, and  then more no's between. I  had a snack later, but it was smaller than normal, because that was all I wanted. DInner was chicken curry. Lots of veggies. The chicken was a bit dry. I thought of @Tanktimus the Encourager's disdain for chicken breasts and think he is probably right.  I need to go back to more chicken thigh.

On values and eating. One value I've chosen is self discipline. Which is good. And I do want that. Except when I don't😃Sometimes it feels like know I need to be more disciplined, but in the moment I don't care. Perhaps I would do better to focus on thankfulness?  When I'm just grazing food, I don't really enjoy it (other value is joy) and am not thankful. Perhaps in the moments when I say I'm don't care whether I "should" eat this or not, I want to, practice some self discipline of delay, and then just sit down and enjoy it.

• Like 5

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

24 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Chicken breast is always better when it's thighs instead. 

The container store and ikea also have closet solutions. 

Oh, Ikea is a good idea. The Container Store near us closed, I need to see if there is another one close by

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sipping on tea and having a muffin was a nice relaxing treat.

Once you start, you won't go back.  It's so great, and there are so many different kinds.

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

15 minutes ago, Novaurora said:

Once you start, you won't go back.  It's so great, and there are so many different kinds.

Oh, I  have lots of tea, and am already an avid tea drinker. I just didn't drink it after lunch,as I had too many things to do. Which is part of what makes it a treat!

• Like 1

Friday was good. I was able to complete 4 sets of 1-2-3-4 and 1 of 1-2-3 presses with the kettlebell. This was partly due to gaining strength, and also  much better energy management through the week. Thursday I had an actual rest day, so then I had more strength on Friday. Who knew it worked like that?😃 I struggle with allowing myself a rest day.  Well , there was some work, I did some Lsit work, but that is mainly legs.

A couple of weeks ago, I talked about having some stomach bloating problems. I have a sensitive stomach, and I was just kind of eat whatever mode, which works fine, until your stomach rebels. Since then I've been trying to pay attention to what actually bothers me. Dairy is pretty much a no. Also really sensitive to artificial sweeteners. The week my stomach was bothering me, I'd been having a square of dark chocolate with erythritol. I decided to try some more of it again (to see if it was the culprit), with a few squares. Yeah, nope, that's a no for me. Interestingly, I looked up low fodmap diets, and many of the foods that give me bloating are on the list.  Except for dairy, it's not a problem with moderate servings, just when I add more. So, when I try add tons of vegetables it gets my stomach.But, this week, if I was going to try and up my veggie count, I added low fodmap veggies (yay zucchini!) and my stomach was happy. And almond flour can be bothersome. So, if I have a couple of cookies it's fine, but if I have more it's bothersome. Which means, if I'm having a day where I want more, I'm better off making gluten free cookies rather than  almond flour.

Week 4 wrap up

Princess Tianna work hard:

Daily wrote down quests- beginning of the week yes, forgot end of the wek

Weekly quest

emailed invite to scrapbooking get together-yes friends are coming!

closet organizer- looked at Home Depot and Ikea (thanks @Tanktimus the Encourager for the idea)  Still pondering

list for backyard projects -nope

I'm counting it as a win and awarding the .5 for Constitution

Prince Naveen

Enjoy life,  have fun and remember to smile

Yes, I made blueberry muffins, actually dug out my loom and did a bit on it, spent some time reading out doors, game night with friends, date night with dinner and movie (Black Widow) with hubby

• Like 4

It's funny how as I have gotten older my disdain for Zucchini has become an absolute LOVE for Zucchini. I made Zucchini pizza bites. Cut up a zucchini into halves. Drop tops on top and bake. SO GOOD

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cn3wton said:

It's funny how as I have gotten older my disdain for Zucchini has become an absolute LOVE for Zucchini. I made Zucchini pizza bites. Cut up a zucchini into halves. Drop tops on top and bake. SO GOOD

That sounds good! I used to not really like it either. Now, I really like it

8 hours ago, Terra said:

I love zucchini too!  Right now I have one plant that is producing a LOT of zucchini right now.  I made muffins yesterday with the two largest zuccs but I have many more coming!!!    How are you fixing your zucchini?  

So far, my one zucchini plant has just done a few. I did some stir fry, a bit raw, and some in my eggs in the morning. There was a giant hidden one that I missed. I'm going to make muffins, and freeze the rest  of it for soup. I also have couple little ones I'm going to use for zoodles tomorrow,

• Like 1

Did my workout today. The DOMS are real. It's supposed to be my light day, so not sure why all the DOMS. I think I did more snatches? Also have a little over 10,000 steps. I forgot to talk about my garden bounty: I have cucumbers, zucchini, chard, and blueberries. Tomorrow I'm going to make muffins and refrigerator pickles

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Erythritol is evil.  

A snatch day following a press day isn’t exactly a rest day 😉

Press and snatch are on the same day.The presses are light volume. You are supposed to keep snatches light too. WIthout a set amount for the snatches, and just doing it by how I feel, I'm not really sure what qualifies as light though.

I don't do very well with most sugar substitutes which is a bummer.

• Like 1

That sounds like an amazing garden haul! 

Right now my garden is pretty much producing only zuchhini. The weeds have gotten a bit away from me though and I really should do that...

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 11:20 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Chicken breast is always better when it's thighs instead. 

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b1xe14alg93sqffmgjg8

I am solidly on team breast.   For me, dark meat is greasy, fatty, and generally unappealing.  I can, on rare occasions, tolerate a thigh in a home cooked chicken and dumplings, but beyond that, I 100% would take white meat over dark meat.     It just can't be helped.

On 7/19/2021 at 10:59 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Erythritol is evil.  

A snatch day following a press day isn’t exactly a rest day 😉

I first read that as 'A snatch a day ...'    And I was like, OH!? DOES WHAT?  Keeps the doms away?   But then I reread it.

Also largely on team zucchini!

Sounds like a lot is going well for you Elastigirl!  Glad to see that.

I can always just about imagine how your life looks (from a weird 3rd person panned out tv series view) from how you describe your days.  I love that!

• Like 1

Level 75.5 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

On 7/19/2021 at 10:22 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

That makes more sense.  I’m terrible about figuring out light, medium, and hard.  That’s part of why I stick with the high frequency programs.  Maybe go down a bell size on light days and focus on technique?

I have been going with a lighter bell. I was sore Monday with DOMS, but it was better the next day, so I guess I'm doing the right amount. 

On 7/20/2021 at 7:24 AM, cn3wton said:

That sounds like an amazing garden haul! 

Right now my garden is pretty much producing only zuchhini. The weeds have gotten a bit away from me though and I really should do that...

Let's not talk about the weeds in the garden😉 (mine are growing even more than the veggies)

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

ahh what a good idea to check the FODMAP for your stomach issues :)

I was really surprised with how many of the high FODMAP did end giving me gas.

7 hours ago, Starpuck said:

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b1xe14alg93sqffmgjg8

I am solidly on team breast.   For me, dark meat is greasy, fatty, and generally unappealing.  I can, on rare occasions, tolerate a thigh in a home cooked chicken and dumplings, but beyond that, I 100% would take white meat over dark meat.     It just can't be helped.

I first read that as 'A snatch a day ...'    And I was like, OH!? DOES WHAT?  Keeps the doms away?   But then I reread it.

Also largely on team zucchini!

Sounds like a lot is going well for you Elastigirl!  Glad to see that.

I can always just about imagine how your life looks (from a weird 3rd person panned out tv series view) from how you describe your days.  I love that!

IIt depends on the thigh. Some of it is just the right amount for me.Others, blech too fatty. I find chicken breast so hard not to overcook and dry out.

I'm glad you like how I describe my days!

• Like 1