Waanie climbs out of lockdown

Hi everyone! With covid restrictions mostly lifted, I have finally started climbing again last week. My level has dropped considerably due to a loss of strength and a gain of weight, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't climb anymore ;). This challenge I want to focus on getting back to a decent climbing level.

Other stuff has started again as well, e.g. clarinet lessons and orchestra rehearsal. Shops are open without reservation again, so I might want to buy new shoes and clothes this summer as well. I'm really going form 0 to 100 in a few weeks time, it feels like, which might not be the best idea :P. Time to set some priorities.

Priority 1: Stay healthy, both physically and mentally

Priority 2: Do all the fun stuff

Priority 3: Become a better climber again

Coming up with challenge goals is a bit hard, also because both my vaccination and my vacation are in this period. For now, I'll try these ones, but they might be subject to change:

Mobility/yoga/flexibility stuff:

do at least 15 minutes of anything, at least 3 times per week. Climbing doesn't count.

Climb moar:

climb at least twice a week, it doesn't matter how long or with whom, even bouldering is allowed. Not applicable if I'll go on vacation.

Balance fun with rest:

keep my bullet journal in order, and cancel stuff if it gets too busy. At least once a week, take stock of how I really feel and adapt my planning to that.

Have a nice challenge!

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

Yesterday's climbing was fortunately already much better than the first 2 times. I'm still a far cry from where I want to be, but at least I'm seeing rapid progress. Apparently my endurance also took a big hit, since I fell 2 holds before the top in 3 different routes yesterday :o. Still, that's better than getting only halfway, or falling out of easier routes ;).

Today and tomorrow will be hot, so I hope that climbing tomorrow will be feasible.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Rookie said:

See! You are going to get back to climbing form in no time! Just make sure you listen to how your body is feeling. 

Your challenge goals look good by me. 

Today was a good climbing day, even though the temperature was way above 30 degrees and there's no AC. I climbed my first 5a of the year, and in general my body feels so much more comfortable again than last week. Of course I still have a long way to go, but it won't be as long as I'd feared :lol:.

My weight and strength are a bit problematic, but I'm hoping they will solve themselves now that I'm out more and climbing more. I will still keep it in mind though; my current weight is around 64.5kg, where I'd like to be between 60 and 62kg. At the end of the challenge I'll see if I'll actually make a goal of it.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Ahh come-back gains are the best! :) 

Very nice to see you here! 

so so so so hot.. 

Nice to see you too! And indeed, the very quick come-back gains are amazing :D. Climbing wasn't too bad actually, since there was quite some wind, but I still prefer colder weather.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Waanie said:

Today was a good climbing day, even though the temperature was way above 30 degrees and there's no AC.

Meanwhile I'm outside in 22C weather in a hoodie and feeling a bit chilly 🤭 the sun was intense earlier though.

4 hours ago, Waanie said:

My weight and strength are a bit problematic, but I'm hoping they will solve themselves now that I'm out more and climbing more. I will still keep it in mind though; my current weight is around 64.5kg, where I'd like to be between 60 and 62kg. At the end of the challenge I'll see if I'll actually make a goal of it.

You will definitely get there. Just keep being consistent! 

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

17 hours ago, Rookie said:

Meanwhile I'm outside in 22C weather in a hoodie and feeling a bit chilly 🤭 the sun was intense earlier though.

Wow, really? That only happens to me if the previous week was all over 30...

17 hours ago, Rookie said:

You will definitely get there. Just keep being consistent! 

Thanks! I think so too :).

Is there a word for being in a bad mood because you're tired and hot? Since that's me right now. I had a busy week at work, on top of all my social activities taking off again. On top of late bed-times because the EC football matches are late and people make lots of noise because of it. Crazy times. Thinking about stuff to do already takes effort, even if it's meant to be relaxing such as starting on a jigsaw. Hopefully tomorrow will be cooler!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Waanie said:

Wow, really? That only happens to me if the previous week was all over 30...

Yah and again today! But its been raining off and on today. Its been so mild this week compared to last week where it was death temps.

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

On 6/18/2021 at 9:43 PM, Rookie said:

Yah and again today! But its been raining off and on today. Its been so mild this week compared to last week where it was death temps.

That sounds lovely :). There's a good chance that next week will be like that for me.

19 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Harriet said 'wilted human spinach' and I like it. 

I like it as well :lol:.

13 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Following! :) 

Welcome! :)

11 hours ago, Tateman said:

Very good that you are getting restrictions lifted there.  Yay for good climbing days!

It really is, although the number of vaccinations is still a bit on the low side for how far we're opening the country again. About 60% has got their first vaccine, and half of that a second one. I'm a bit jealous of the people in the US there, since they all got the opportunity already to get vaccinated (although the number of people not wanting to be vaccinated is disturbing over there). Next week I'll get my first one!

This weekend I visited my family for the first time in ages, since covid restrictions are now more or less lifted and my family mostly got their vaccines. It was nice to speak to everyone again, it really is different in real life than it is on the phone. Fitness-wise my weekend was artrocious, but that's all right. Let's start this challenge tomorrow!

• Like 5

Yeah, it's really disturbing. Like I've been vaccinated, but still wanted to wear my mask, because I don't trust the anti-vaxxers out there. The tournament I bowled in, made people wear masks. It started with people needing to wear them from the CDC guidelines. They are making everyone wear then through the tournament, because they want to make sure the playing field is level. When I went, it was just after they said vaccinated people  can go maskless most place. I didn't mind, it didn't bug me at all. People I bowled with however, it was so bad. One guy started saying they should be handing out swastikas to the people enforcing the rule.  So many people crying about it. 

• Like 3
On 6/17/2021 at 11:09 PM, Waanie said:

I climbed my first 5a of the year, and in general my body feels so much more comfortable again than last week. Of course I still have a long way to go, but it won't be as long as I'd feared :lol:.

Yay! Awesome to hear. And in that heat too! I find that my power in particular drains suuuper quickly when it gets warm.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Tateman said:

Yeah, it's really disturbing. Like I've been vaccinated, but still wanted to wear my mask, because I don't trust the anti-vaxxers out there. The tournament I bowled in, made people wear masks. It started with people needing to wear them from the CDC guidelines. They are making everyone wear then through the tournament, because they want to make sure the playing field is level. When I went, it was just after they said vaccinated people  can go maskless most place. I didn't mind, it didn't bug me at all. People I bowled with however, it was so bad. One guy started saying they should be handing out swastikas to the people enforcing the rule.  So many people crying about it. 

Wow, that person is crazy. Here people prefer to not wear masks, but I suspect that most Dutch people are lawful neutral, and hence everyone wears a mask wherever the rules say we must. Estimates are that 85% of the Dutch want to be vaccinated, and employers even are generally okay with doing it during working hours. After this week, we can go to the shops without masks again though.

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yay! Awesome to hear. And in that heat too! I find that my power in particular drains suuuper quickly when it gets warm.

Thanks, and me too! Although I rather have this heat than the really cold winters when the heating has just been turned on ;). The real turning point for me is somewhere around 35 or 30 without a breeze; then I feel it becomes dangerous as well.

2 hours ago, Waanie said:

Thanks, and me too! Although I rather have this heat than the really cold winters when the heating has just been turned on ;). The real turning point for me is somewhere around 35 or 30 without a breeze; then I feel it becomes dangerous as well.

True! For me it's really hard to warm up my fingers in winter. Not missing that at all. :P 

• Like 1
On 6/21/2021 at 9:22 PM, Mad Hatter said:

True! For me it's really hard to warm up my fingers in winter. Not missing that at all. :P 

Yes, winter is an excellent time to do the longer (lead-)routes with big holds ;)

15 hours ago, Rookie said:

Hi Waanie! :) Any more climbing adventures?

Yes, yesterday I went climbing again!

I'm getting stronger and better at climbing again really quickly. I climbed my first 5a+ again which felt really easy because it was just technical and my length was ideal. I'm shorter than most climbers, so it's always nice if I don't have to reach far and can climb a route as intended :). My endurance is still terrible, and I'm still missing some strength, but that's alright. At the end of the training I mostly felt my legs were empty, so I really had a good and technical training :lol:. Afterwards I did some yoga, since I was afraid that otherwise my hips would be really sore in the morning.

This morning I decided to not do too much useful stuff and just go out for a hike. It felt heavier than I expected (just 6.5km), but it was a nice hike in a nice environment. Did you know that what we call a "mountain" over here is actually only 85m high and has no steep climbs? The view is beautiful though.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ooorr I can stick to 4 move boulders on giant holds all year round. :D 

Told ya! :D 

So you did! And yeah, you can also choose to only do small boulders with big holds, but where's the fun in that? ;)

One thing I noticed about my weight by the way is that it stays more or less constant around 65kg at the moment, but that my thighs have already shrunken and that I'm really feeling stronger again. It's annoying to see that the scale doesn't budge, but there could be so many effects going on that I know I shouldn't start going on a diet until I feel more settled down and less stressed. I should really wait for a bit, and trust in how my clothes and climbing harness fit. Really really :P. I also grabbed a calculator and noticed that I'm technically not overweight, at a BMI of 24.8, but that's too close for comfort for me, and I just want to climb better 🙃. Patience is hard though.

• Like 1
On 6/23/2021 at 5:59 PM, Waanie said:

So you did! And yeah, you can also choose to only do small boulders with big holds, but where's the fun in that? ;)

ALL THE FUN! :D 

On 6/23/2021 at 5:59 PM, Waanie said:

I shouldn't start going on a diet until I feel more settled down and less stressed. I should really wait for a bit, and trust in how my clothes and climbing harness fit. Really really :P

Really! ;) I'd say it's more important right now when you're getting back to more intense training that you don't try to add a calorie deficit. Better to spend those calories on strength building IMO. At least right now in the initial phase. It's hard though because it always seems like weight loss is somehow a shortcut to climbing better, which it really isn't. On the flip side, it does make a difference in how much weight one's trying to haul around... I'm saying this as someone in pretty much the same situation, similar weight and not training regularly for a long while...

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I mean, you say that, but extra weight really does make a difference on the wall...

oh right yea I forgot.. I take it back, sports are legitimate reasons to care about scale weight... 

Still, patience is a good choice- being less stressed and more settled into your training routine and also weight may drop naturally soon. 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram