Aquarii - A Bladesinger Rising from the Ashes

Oubliette by LinzArcher on DeviantArt | Phoenix artwork, Phoenix art,  Phoenix images

I don't really have time to write an RPG backstory for this theme, but maybe I will add that later. Anyway, I am combining my two longest running and/or recurring themes in this one: the bladesinger and the phoenix, both of which I relate to so strongly. I will pretty much never say no to a theme involving a Phoenix. When I first started using the forums, I even had it as part of my username.

Anyway, life has been kind of crazy. Well, a lot of crazy. My dad was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, which has brought nothing but bad news the more tests they do, most of my family got covid (not me, I was not around them), I was diagnosed with bipolar II when I got locked into a not so fun mixed episode that involved lots of insomnia (which required starting a new medication and treatment process), things at work kinda started to spin out there for a second, and the crazy amount of stress and instability made my long-standing body dysmorphia worse, which started triggering old eating-disorder thoughts.

So, I stepped back from fitness and anything related to diet, which I have just recently started getting back into over the last week or so, now that I feel like I am in a good mental place to re-engage. And, I started my new medication, which thus far does seem to be helping quite a bit. And I made it through both of my covid vaccines, though the second vaccine did knock me out for a day or two. And things have settled down at work and my working relationship with my boss is actually much better than it was prior to all of this. 

So, everything kind of crashed and burned, and now I am rising from the ashes like the true phoenix I am, haha. I am fairly behind with a lot of my goals for this year, but I finally feel like I am back in a place to seriously commit to building consistency and sticking to a real schedule again. These goals are going to be a little different from my previous Bladesinger challenges, because some things I have to focus on catching up on (due to external deadlines), and some areas will just take some work to rebuild the routine I had before, so I am setting the bar a little lower in those areas for this challenge.

Bladesinger - Phoenix Edition

- (STR) Strength and Agility: Bodyweight workouts 2x/week 

- (DEX) Balance and Coordination: Yoga and/or stretching 2x/week 

- (CON) Stamina: 20min+ walks 3x/week 

- (INT) Intelligence: Read 7 books

(INT) Intelligence: Complete 8 modules of certification course

- (INT/CHA) CPR/AED Certification: Register and completed certification by end of challenge

• Like 5

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

6 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

So, everything kind of crashed and burned, and now I am rising from the ashes like the true phoenix I am, haha.

[...]

"Fall seven times; Rise eight." Great challenge. Mind if I ask what certification course you're taking?

• Like 2

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

"If you know the way broadly, you will see it in all things." -Miyamoto Musashi

"Oh, she says, well, you're not a poor man. You know, why don't you go online and buy a hundred envelopes and put them in the closet? And so I pretend not to hear her. And go out to get an envelope because I'm going to have a hell of a good time in the process of buying one envelope. I meet a lot of people. And, see some great looking babies. And a fire engine goes by. And I give them the thumbs up. And, and ask a woman what kind of dog that is. And, and I don't know. The moral of the story is, is we're here on Earth to fart around. And, of course, the computers will do us out of that. And, what the computer people don't realize, or they don't care, is we're dancing animals. You know, we love to move around. And, we're not supposed to dance at all anymore." -Kurt Vonnegut.

5 minutes ago, theflyingaccountant said:

"Fall seven times; Rise eight." Great challenge. Mind if I ask what certification course you're taking?

Thanks! And sure. I am taking the ACE Personal Trainer certification. That reminds me, I need to add CPR/AED cert to my goals for this challenge as well so I get those out of the way (they are required to sit for the exam). My goal is to do the Health Coach cert next. That is the original reason I started the PT cert, actually (the PT cert is a prereq to HC certification).

• Like 3

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

On 6/19/2021 at 10:09 AM, Aquarii said:

I don't really have time to write an RPG backstory for this theme, but maybe I will add that later. Anyway, I am combining my two longest running and/or recurring themes in this one: the bladesinger and the phoenix, both of which I relate to so strongly. I will pretty much never say no to a theme involving a Phoenix. When I first started using the forums, I even had it as part of my username.

It's actually disappointingly frustrating to find a non-trash phoenix gif 👀

Best Phoenix Rises GIFs | Gfycat

• Like 2

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

On 6/19/2021 at 11:09 AM, Aquarii said:

- (STR) Strength and Agility: Bodyweight workouts 2x/week 

- (DEX) Balance and Coordination: Yoga and/or stretching 2x/week 

- (CON) Stamina: 20min+ walks 3x/week 

- (INT) Intelligence: Read 7 books

- (INT/CHA) CPR/AED Certification: Register and completed certification by end of challenge

I have been thinking about setting up my challenge like this.  I like how you have this set up.

• Like 3

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

On 6/23/2021 at 11:08 AM, Rurik Harrgath said:

It's actually disappointingly frustrating to find a non-trash phoenix gif 👀

Best Phoenix Rises GIFs | Gfycat

I know, right? Finding an image that I liked for this challenge was pretty much impossible. Eventually I just kind of settled for one that would do. Which is quite disappointing, because who doesn't love a good phoenix photo or gif?

On 6/26/2021 at 9:40 AM, Novaurora said:

I have been thinking about setting up my challenge like this.  I like how you have this set up.

Thanks! I see you have incorporated some of my ideas into your challenge. I am glad you were able to get some use out of it as well :)

• Like 2

Hey all,

I am still alive, just lots of stuff going on at work and with trying to get my life back in order again. My first week of the challenge was solidly...ok? 😂 I kinda forgot about the whole stretching part of my goal, but technically I did get a LITTLE of it in, since I do some basic warm-up stretches before my workouts.

Week 1 recap:

- (STR) Strength and Agility: Bodyweight workouts 2x/week (2/2) complete

- (DEX) Balance and Coordination: Yoga and/or stretching 2x/week (0/2) oops, lol

- (CON) Stamina: 20min+ walks 3x/week (3/3) - complete

- (INT) Intelligence: Read 7 books (2/7) - on track

(INT) Intelligence: Complete 8 modules of certification course (0.5/8) - behind)

- (INT/CHA) CPR/AED Certification: Register and completed certification by end of challenge (not started) - on track

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

I am still alive,

season 5 episode 3 GIF

just lots of stuff going on at work and with trying to get my life back in order again.

Glad to see you checking in with everything you have going on!  I hope you are starting to feel better and that things are slowly sorting themselves out!!

My first week of the challenge was solidly...ok? 😂 I kinda forgot about the whole stretching part of my goal, but technically I did get a LITTLE of it in, since I do some basic warm-up stretches before my workouts.

Yoga Humour GIF

(that's all I have to say about that)

• Like 1

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

2 hours ago, Aquarii said:

I am still alive, just lots of stuff going on at work and with trying to get my life back in order again. My first week of the challenge was solidly...ok? 😂 

Solidly okay is a perfectly adequate foundation for success, after all ;) 

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

I’m glad you’re back and rising again. Hell yeah to that my friend. 

Bipolar sucks. 

We’re always here for you. 

• Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

On 6/28/2021 at 8:51 AM, Novaurora said:

season 5 episode 3 GIF

Glad to see you checking in with everything you have going on!  I hope you are starting to feel better and that things are slowly sorting themselves out!!

Thanks! Things have been crazy and stressful, but I am handling it...most of the time, lol.

On 6/28/2021 at 10:44 AM, Rurik Harrgath said:

Solidly okay is a perfectly adequate foundation for success, after all ;) 

I mean, solidly ok is definitely better than any variation of not ok...so, I guess I will take it. Definitely want to build beyond solidly ok, but I have to start somewhere.

On 6/28/2021 at 9:58 PM, Sciread77 said:

I’m glad you’re back and rising again. Hell yeah to that my friend. 

Bipolar sucks. 

I am learning that. It definitely has a tendency to throw a wrench in things. Definitely wish I had known a little sooner that I was bipolar because it makes sooooo many things about the last few years make so much more sense. But, at least I know now. AND have a treatment that is working fairly well thus far. 

So, I am still around, last week was just quite busy, exhausting, and stressful because I had a ton of stuff going on at work with a launch we were rolling out. Definitely didn't end up being as consistent with my goals as I had hoped, and totally forgot about stretching all together, but I was still able to get in some things here and there to keep the needle moving in the right direction. So, not really a "win" week, but not a total loss either. I am really hoping this week will be calmer because I could definitely use a break. 

On a fun and positive note, I have a new kitty! My poor cat was so lonely and suffering from some separation anxiety when my partner and I both went back to the office, so I decided to adopt a kitten my mom found back last fall. Our current cat, Willow, is not a huge fan of the little guy yet, but she is warming up to him slowly. Locksley (the new kitty) is such a little love bug - very friendly and happy to snuggle. So, that has been a nice way to brighten my weekend after a long, stressful week.

Anyway, Week 2 recap:

Bladesinger - Phoenix Edition

- (STR) Strength and Agility: Bodyweight workouts 2x/week (1/2) partial win

- (DEX) Balance and Coordination: Yoga and/or stretching 2x/week (0/2) oops, lol

- (CON) Stamina: 20min+ walks 3x/week (3/3) - complete

- (INT) Intelligence: Read 7 books (3/7) - on track

(INT) Intelligence: Complete 8 modules of certification course (2/8) - still behind, but made some good headway this weekend

- (INT/CHA) CPR/AED Certification: (not started) 

• Like 3

My new cat is aparently an early riser and is determined to make me one as well. So, got in a nice walk full of hills this morning before work, since I had to get up an hour before I have been lately. Gotta love how pets will entirely rewrite your routine 😂 Guess I might as well roll with it and make the best of it in this case.  

• Like 2

On 7/6/2021 at 7:43 AM, Aquarii said:

Gotta love how pets will entirely rewrite your routine 😂 Guess I might as well roll with it and make the best of it in this case.  

My dogs have finally learned that summer months means they don't get fed exactly at 7.  They let me sleep until 9 yesterday.  It was very exciting.

Hope your week is going well!

• Like 1

Love the way you set up your challenge! Might do something similar for mine next round....

On 7/6/2021 at 7:43 AM, Aquarii said:

My new cat is aparently an early riser and is determined to make me one as well. So, got in a nice walk full of hills this morning before work, since I had to get up an hour before I have been lately. Gotta love how pets will entirely rewrite your routine 😂 Guess I might as well roll with it and make the best of it in this case.  

Haha nice! I have to drag my dog out of bed some mornings to go for our walk

• Like 1

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

On 7/10/2021 at 9:30 AM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Love the way you set up your challenge! Might do something similar for mine next round....

Haha nice! I have to drag my dog out of bed some mornings to go for our walk

I am always happy to see people taking my challenge concepts and running with them, so have at it!

• Like 1

So, contrary to the evidence, I am still alive and even still working on my challenge goals. Things have just been crazy with trying to catch up with challenge goals, some traveling here and there, tons of stuff going on at work. You know the drill.

Anyway, I don't remember all the details of the past two weeks that I forgot to update, but I know I got some workouts in there, a little bit a stretching, and am behind on the reading and cert goals, but still grinding along, even if it is not as fast as I would like. Totally killed my walking goals though, so there is that.

This week is a living nightmare in terms of life, but thus far going pretty well in terms of my challenge. I have completed a stretching session and a workout routine this week, and plan to get my other sessions in before the end of the week. I have already hit my walking goals for the week and we are only halfway through. The reading goals and certification modules have taken a backseat, but that is because I registered for the CPR cert (which is scheduled for Saturday, so still going to make that goal this challenge, even if it is the very last possible day), and it has online materials that have to be done before the in-class stuff on Saturday morning. 

Life has my anxiety levels at 110% this week, so my body absolutely hates me right now. But, it has started to respond really well to my training in recent weeks. I still don't have the consistency that I did before, but my strength is almost back to where it was before, maybe stronger in some areas. So, still making progress, even with the craziness and all the curveballs. 

• Like 3

Oh, and kitty update. Locksley is integrating into his new home life really well. Our current cat (Willow) was NOT happy when we first brought him home; she had a very serious case of only-child syndrome. But now they enjoy playing with each other and keeping each other company. Locksley has also learned that it is not acceptible to wake us up at 3am, and that he must wait until our morning alarms go off before he can start begging for food and attention.

On 7/21/2021 at 11:03 PM, Aquarii said:

Life has my anxiety levels at 110% this week, so my body absolutely hates me right now. But, it has started to respond really well to my training in recent weeks. I still don't have the consistency that I did before, but my strength is almost back to where it was before, maybe stronger in some areas. So, still making progress, even with the craziness and all the curveballs. 

I'm glad you're seeing some progress!  I hope your anxiety is calming down a bit :)