Juliebarkley will challenge eventually

I will have a real challenge up a little later. Life is keeping me mostly off the computer. But I will be back soon. Honest. :)

• Like 6

Challenge:   0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  

23 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I will have a real challenge up a little later. Life is keeping me mostly off the computer. But I will be back soon. Honest. :)

You will probably still beat me to it, so you're good ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

On 6/20/2021 at 2:38 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Getting in on this while things are still on the ground floor

On 6/20/2021 at 9:17 PM, Fairly_Bouncer said:

Follow GIF by memecandy

On 6/20/2021 at 10:17 PM, Jupiter said:

Same. :) 

On 6/21/2021 at 8:58 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Here for when you're back! :) 

Heh. Thanks for the follow when I've given you nothing to work with! ❤️

On 6/20/2021 at 11:49 PM, Scaly Freak said:

You will probably still beat me to it, so you're good ;) 

I haven't checked, but I hope you're wrong here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A brief update. Some of you may remember a failed challenge a little while back to deal with the pile of potentially-for-sale books that filled about a quarter of my bedroom space. Well, I am pleased to say that, as of 5 AM last night, those books are gone. About 300-400 of them made the cut for sale; twice or thrice that were donated. I still have a (much smaller) pile of "maybe" books that, given the purging spirit, are likely to split 50-50 keep and potential-sale, but I don't want to think about those potential-sale books right now. Of my own personal property, I have only the tail end of the craft supplies,sentimental items, kitchen stuff, and clothes. (Fun fact: my yarn stash actually grew, despite the fact that I got rid of some, because my mother was getting rid of stuff I use regularly. Pretty sure that's not how purging is supposed to work.)

Now I can mostly think about staging. Pictures are on Saturday. That sounds like a long time away, but I am not taking any days off work, and I know it will be hear before I know it. There's still a LOT to do. So the challenge until Saturday is to keep spending all of my time sorting and staging and packing.

After Saturday is a different story. There will still be packing and staging, but of the types of things that don't affect pictures and viewings, like kitchen stuff that fits neatly in drawers, and all that stuff in the sheds. The desperate urgency will be toned down. We really do have quite a lot packed now, and I'm about to pack more. So starting on Sunday, I want to try to regain some of the habits that I threw out the window when I went into goal mode. I have a very short time left to enjoy the things that this house has to offer, so I want to resume daily walks. Night walks (I think there are fireflies!). Exercise. Maybe take out the canoe or attempt some handstands at the handstand tree. (I just realized that I have cleared what was intended to be an indoor handstand space just in time to not be able to use it. 😢)

I may also, just for fun, throw up some ingredients we have that need to be used in the hope of meal ideas. We are reducing the amount we have to pack by buying as little food as possible and eating down our stash. This means we are eating all the weird stuff that has been sitting in the backs of cupboards for years. It's great that it's getting used, but not having familiar things to eat is losing its charm, and some of that stuff has been sitting for ages because no one knows what to do with it. So, suggestions welcome. No pressure.

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

Challenge:   0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  

First food request. I have a box of Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuit mix. It is really hot out right now and I really don't want to make soup to go with them. What else goes with biscuits? I have chicken breasts I can pull out of the freezer and do something with? And a little butternut squash to use up if possible?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

I haven't checked, but I hope you're wrong here.

As it turns out, I was. My challenge was posted shortly after I made that post. I am not doing a good job of meeting my goals though, so there is that. :) 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

6 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

As it turns out, I was. My challenge was posted shortly after I made that post. I am not doing a good job of meeting my goals though, so there is that. :) 

Let's not compete at how badly we do at challenges!

Dinner is fried chicken with biscuits and something with the squash as a side. I just realized how late it was, so it will be dark before it is ready. It is still like 30 degrees. I may die of heat. Pray for my survival.

37 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

That would be very counterproductive. Good idea to skip that.

11 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Of my own personal property, I have only the tail end of the craft supplies,sentimental items, kitchen stuff, and clothes. (Fun fact: my yarn stash actually grew, despite the fact that I got rid of some, because my mother was getting rid of stuff I use regularly. Pretty sure that's not how purging is supposed to work.)

Hehe. Crafting supplies are so sneaky and tenacious. Especially yarn.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 6/28/2021 at 9:11 PM, Scaly Freak said:

That would be very counterproductive. Good idea to skip that.

Indeed. I haven't checked on your goals - I'm barely going to make it to my own challenge this week - but rah rah do the thing! Yay goals!

Ahem. Moving on.

On 6/29/2021 at 12:48 AM, Harriet said:

Hehe. Crafting supplies are so sneaky and tenacious. Especially yarn.

Yarn and fabric. Yarn does win out on the sneakiness though in its ability to generate moths (the wool stuff, anyway). Even if you wrap it in plasticand are super careful. Someone should do a study on spontaneous generation and use yarn as the evidence instead of rotting meat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D&D was had, and some packing and sorting. But gosh, it feels slow. I am seriously worried we won't be ready in time. :(

Also, side note: a local man, locally famous for his interfaith work, dedication to helping people, and just general desire for people to be good to one another died a couple of days ago. When the community found out he was sick, a project was started to collect as many intentional acts of kindness as possible to give him strength and honour his memory. You can read about him here and if you'd like to participate, you can do it here. (It can be as simple as calling someone who might be feeling down or donating something to a person in need.)

• Like 6

23 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Still 3 more days to go

Spinning Can GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Two days now.

And thank you. At least one of us does.

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Nope, I remember life throwing you a curve ball and you dealing with it like a boss.

😍

It feels like so long ago that I can't even remember any more what happened there. And apparently I need to be more diligent at updating my signature with past challenges, too.

That tree will be missed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel tired

so very tired

physically

mentally

emotionally

the kind of deep down tired

that makes you want to lie down

and maybe

just maybe

never get up again.

I have much to do still. But I am so done with this. Thinking about it makes me tired and my willpower is getting very low. I just want it to stop so I can sleep for a bit. Or more than a bit. Maybe eat food. Play with the cat. Anything else.

Two more days.

• Like 5

Nothing new to report really; just more of the same. I have been packing my own books to empty the bookshelves, then moving my sale books out of the closet and onto said bookshelves, so that I can have room in the closet for things I need but can't be on show for visitors (like my bed). Also packed up my lovely green iMac and its assorted software, and added a bunch of PC games that look interesting to the to-do pile. (I have never owned a PC, but once thought I would emulate to get more game access. I never bothered in the end, and now those should be available on Steam or GOG for small money with any luck.) I should have this room ready tonight. The other rooms mostly need tidying and finishing touches at this point. The categories still to be sorted are out of sight and therefore not a priority for the moment. (Except maybe the tail end of the craft supplies; we'll see how I'm doing for time tomorrow.) Whew.

Okay, back to it. Got to finish moving these books. My supply of boxes I like has run out, so the next few hours could be an exercise in creativity.

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 1

On 7/1/2021 at 6:31 AM, juliebarkley said:

I feel tired

so very tired

physically

mentally

emotionally

the kind of deep down tired

that makes you want to lie down

and maybe

just maybe

never get up again.

I have much to do still. But I am so done with this. Thinking about it makes me tired and my willpower is getting very low. I just want it to stop so I can sleep for a bit. Or more than a bit. Maybe eat food. Play with the cat. Anything else.

Two more days.

Is there any chance you can give this poor animal a proper rest? Or are you really under time pressure?

• Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 6/29/2021 at 2:34 AM, juliebarkley said:

Sometimes, it adds fun at blowing off some steam but this isn't for you now. Straight line to the end, crush this! Then hopefully some rest? You're getting there. :)

On 6/29/2021 at 2:34 AM, juliebarkley said:

I may die of heat.

Well, now, that would be a really no fun way of doing badly at your challenges! Please, be a good sport and don't do it.

Prayer sent for tomorrow. Have  strength.

• Like 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

18 hours ago, Harriet said:

Is there any chance you can give this poor animal a proper rest? Or are you really under time pressure?

2:30 tomorrow. Then rest.

4 hours ago, Jean said:

Sometimes, it adds fun at blowing off some steam but this isn't for you now. Straight line to the end, crush this! Then hopefully some rest? You're getting there. :)

Well, now, that would be a really no fun way of doing badly at your challenges! Please, be a good sport and don't do it.

Prayer sent for tomorrow. Have  strength.

Haha no - if I've set a goal, it's because I actually want to reach it. Not long now! I can live till then! (It has also cooled down a bit, which is nice.) And thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay. I polished off my bedroom/now office transformation, and we did a lot of "put this in a box, shove it in the basement/closet and we'll deal with it later". (The basement is a disaster and will remain so.) My work colleague who loves decorating stopped by with some items from her house and gave us staging advice, all of which we took. I have no eye for this sort of thing, and she's brilliant at it. So we just have a few surfaces to clear off and dust, a few more things to hide away, and a little bit of furniture to move around, and then done! (I mean, not done done, there is more, but done from a tomorrow photos point of view.)

I'd love to share photos of all my hard work because I'm quite proud of what I've accomplished and want to celebrate it and it is my goal after all, but since they'll be in the listing and that's for selling the house, I don't know if that counts as advertising. If anyone knows the rules on that, I'd be grateful.

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

4 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

If anyone knows the rules on that, I'd be grateful.

Maybe summoning  @Tanktimus the Encourager (please, let me know if there is a proper way for these kinds of requests)? Hi and thanks! Forum guidelines topic specific question: pictures of a home ready for sale, getting the home ready was the goal of a set of challenges but they'll be in the listing for selling the house. Is posting the listing tolerated or does that fall under the no promotions guideline?

• Like 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

10 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I'd love to share photos of all my hard work because I'm quite proud of what I've accomplished and want to celebrate it and it is my goal after all, but since they'll be in the listing and that's for selling the house, I don't know if that counts as advertising.

You aren't trying to sell your house to the community here, you are fine to put up the pictures of what you accomplished

• Thanks 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Photos are perfectly fine, no question. You're not trying to sell the home through this website, as Whiteghost said. When we bought the home we are in I posted all the photos from the real estate listing, though I didn't post the real estate link because I didn't want to doxx myself.

• Thanks 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

12 hours ago, Jean said:

Maybe summoning  @Tanktimus the Encourager (please, let me know if there is a proper way for these kinds of requests)? Hi and thanks! Forum guidelines topic specific question: pictures of a home ready for sale, getting the home ready was the goal of a set of challenges but they'll be in the listing for selling the house. Is posting the listing tolerated or does that fall under the no promotions guideline?

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

You aren't trying to sell your house to the community here, you are fine to put up the pictures of what you accomplished

7 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Photos are perfectly fine, no question. You're not trying to sell the home through this website, as Whiteghost said. When we bought the home we are in I posted all the photos from the real estate listing, though I didn't post the real estate link because I didn't want to doxx myself.

Awesome; thanks everyone! I will include a discreet link to the listing when it goes live on Monday because I don't care about doxxing myself, tbh. I'm moving, I've left enough info around that anyone who really wanted to stalk me has a general idea where I live, and asking locally where "the lady in the headscarf" lives (or use my name, that would work too) will probably get you the rest of the way. Rural communities are not havens of anonymity. 🤷‍♀️

11 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

It’s cute you even bothered checking - I’m more in the ask for forgiveness than permission camp. 😄

I like not getting banned from a place that feels like home. ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photos are done. Now I have the rest of a beautiful afternoon, which I intend to spend reading or doing puzzles on the grass outside in the sunshine. There may be more sorting packing later in the evening, but this time is for rest and the enjoyment of a job well done. Tomorrow, the "recover habits and enjoy life and the joys of this place while I'm here" part of the challenge begins.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 2