Starting My Training Montage

Since the pandemic, I've noticed myself gaining enough weight that my body is currently at a place I'm not comfortable at. While in my undergraduate program, I starting working out at the campus gym and gained a lot of muscle and lost fat. In the next five weeks, I'd like to work on starting my training montage and slowly getting back to a place were I feel comfortable and able to do what I want to in my body.

My goals are to:

• Go to the gym at least 3x a week
  • Increase the amount I'm able to lift
  • Eat some a serving of veggies in at least one meal a day

This is my first challenge and so I'm looking forward to support and talking to everyone else!

• Like 6

Hello and welcome!

And no proper training montage is complete without a driving and motivating soundtrack.... ;) 

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

On 6/21/2021 at 5:17 AM, bookbelle314 said:

Since the pandemic, I've noticed myself gaining enough weight that my body is currently at a place I'm not comfortable at. While in my undergraduate program, I starting working out at the campus gym and gained a lot of muscle and lost fat. In the next five weeks, I'd like to work on starting my training montage and slowly getting back to a place were I feel comfortable and able to do what I want to in my body.

My goals are to:

• Go to the gym at least 3x a week
  • Increase the amount I'm able to lift
  • Eat some a serving of veggies in at least one meal a day

This is my first challenge and so I'm looking forward to support and talking to everyone else!

Welcome! That looks like an excellent plan. Happy lifting!

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 6/21/2021 at 4:05 AM, Alanna said:

Welcome to Nerd Fitness! What kind of lifts do you like to do at the gym? :) 

I've been following a workout plan from Superherojacked, but doing a lot of dumbbell alternatives because I don't currently have a gym buddy to spot me and the idea of dropping a bar on me is slightly terrifying. I think my favorite things to do are any types of rows and using the lat pulldown machine.

• Like 1
On 6/21/2021 at 12:46 AM, Scaly Freak said:

Hello and welcome!

And no proper training montage is complete without a driving and motivating soundtrack.... ;) 

A montage soundtrack and the absolutely gorgeous Micheal B. Jordan, this is wonderful.  Currently my in gym montage is set to early 2000s  pop cause that's my workout playlist, which means I tend to do little dance moves in between sets if no one in the gym is looking at me.😄

6 hours ago, bookbelle314 said:

I've been following a workout plan from Superherojacked, but doing a lot of dumbbell alternatives because I don't currently have a gym buddy to spot me and the idea of dropping a bar on me is slightly terrifying. I think my favorite things to do are any types of rows and using the lat pulldown machine.

Dumbbell work can be great for increasing your stability and working out left/right imbalances - I'm sure it will give you a great foundation if you want do barbell lifts later on. I really like upper body pulls, too - and the back and lat strength is a nice bonus!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9 

First Week Update

So far this week, I've been able to lift at the gym three days this week. My program has four days of lifting with a break on Wednesday. I wasn't able to lift on Friday because my arm was sore that entire day, which hasn't happened a lot before, but I was able to make it up by doing the exercises with some 5lb weights at my house. My arm hasn't been continuously sore, but it gets sore at night which is annoying. I'm going to the doctor this week for a check up anyway, so I'll ask about it then, but any advice for dealing with soreness would be great. I didn't do too well on getting my veggies in because I usually get them in through my morning smoothies and I have not had the energy to make smoothies this past week. Hoping to do better on my veggies this week and add some more dynamic stretching before my workouts to hopefully warm me up more to lessen the soreness. This is probably thee part of the montage were I'm struggling before  it starts looking more natural.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, bookbelle314 said:

So far this week, I've been able to lift at the gym three days this week. My program has four days of lifting with a break on Wednesday. I wasn't able to lift on Friday because my arm was sore that entire day, which hasn't happened a lot before, but I was able to make it up by doing the exercises with some 5lb weights at my house. My arm hasn't been continuously sore, but it gets sore at night which is annoying. I'm going to the doctor this week for a check up anyway, so I'll ask about it then, but any advice for dealing with soreness would be great. I didn't do too well on getting my veggies in because I usually get them in through my morning smoothies and I have not had the energy to make smoothies this past week. Hoping to do better on my veggies this week and add some more dynamic stretching before my workouts to hopefully warm me up more to lessen the soreness. This is probably thee part of the montage were I'm struggling before  it starts looking more natural.

Great job with week 1!

By sore, do you mean muscle soreness from lifting, or do you think it's some sort of overuse injury/pain?  What does the soreness feel like? Is it limited to certain parts of your arms?  Are the sore areas warmer than the surrounding areas? Muscle soreness from lifting can usually be worked through - there might be some discomfort (e.g. "walking up stairs after squat day" type stiffness/soreness), but there shouldn't be any sharp pain. For soreness/stiffness that isn't an injury, I recommend 1) dynamic warm-up/stretching  and foam rolling before lifting, 2) some stretching and foam rolling after lifting, 3) some active recovery on rest days (e.g., light yoga, walking, dynamic stretching, foam rolling or other soft tissue work, static stretching after you warm up), 4) baths, especially with Epsom salts, and 5) making sure you get enough water, sleep, calories, and protein in particular. There are also balms that can provide some relief - I sometimes use Dynamint, and I think Tiger Balm is another popular option. Soreness should also decrease as your body gets used to lifting regularly :) 

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9 

Good work so far, keep it up! Soreness is normal and going to happen but pain is not and means something is wrong. You didn't say pain but just wanted to put that out there. 

For sore muscles activity and light movement usually helps a lot, get some blood flow in there. Supposedly a cold shower after your workout will help reduce soreness. I have never noticed a difference but some people swear by it. For deep aches I have found that a Epsom salt bath helps. 

Happy Training! 

• Like 1

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

Welcome, and good luck on the challenge.

With regards to barbells and spotters, I'm not sure what your gym provides, but most gyms have some sort of safety mechanisms you can (and should) set up to provide a place to drop the barbell and safely move out of the way. They're not always obvious so if you don't see them around, consider asking the gym staff about them if you do eventually want to try out more of the barbell activities (which I highly recommend).

I also want to reiterate what some other fine folks have said: soreness for a few days after lifting is completely normal, and can be worked through. Having only 1 arm be sore would be a little concerning for me, but it is possible, especially if it's your non-dominant arm, that there is a strength differential between your arms, which hopefully lifting will help balance.

• Like 1

Stay awhile... we're liftin'

In addition to everything everyone else already has said about soreness: Do you stretch after lifting? Stretching after the workout, and on the day after, can make a big difference in reducing and managing post-workout soreness.

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38