Jupiter Re-organizes

29 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

Researching mattresses is so exhausting and mind-numbing. After a while they all start to look the same. And I have to make sure I'm getting the right foundation/base set-up, so it feels like double the research. I've had two of my friends suggest a Temper-Pedic though in the last few days, so I need to add that brand to my research. I'm just afraid it will be too expensive. Also thinking of something cooking-related for my next challenge. We'll see. 

If you are interested in a memory foam mattress, look at the brand Leesa (you are in the US, right?). We have had a Tempurpedic mattress, replaced it with a Leesa, and I can't tell the difference. the Leesa is super-comfortable, and has a much more reasonable price tag.

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

On 8/3/2021 at 7:37 PM, Scaly Freak said:

If you are interested in a memory foam mattress, look at the brand Leesa (you are in the US, right?). We have had a Tempurpedic mattress, replaced it with a Leesa, and I can't tell the difference. the Leesa is super-comfortable, and has a much more reasonable price tag.

Cool, I will have to check it out. Thanks. :) 

On 8/4/2021 at 7:56 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Good luck with the mattress search.  Hopefully you will be able to find something you love

Thanks. I bought a new one but I don't like it already. :( 

On 8/4/2021 at 9:11 PM, Defining said:

You could always check out buckwheat hull beds instead? :D  I hope you find the right fit for your needs!

LOL, I don't know about that one, but thanks. :) 

• Sad 1

So I got a new mattress delivered this week, but by this point I had gotten used to the other one, and now I hate this one and wish I'd kept the other one. I am hopeless. 

• Sad 2

I've been tracking one way or another in bullet journal form since 2012 or so, so this is exciting.

The mattress thing sounds exhausting, but hopefully you get used to the new one too. My only experience with that is the first time I slept on a mattress that wasn't a decade older than me, I overslept so badly I woke up at 2pm and missed everything. :D 

• Like 1

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

My Fitness Pal - inactive

36 minutes ago, Echoceanic said:

I've been tracking one way or another in bullet journal form since 2012 or so, so this is exciting.

Cool. :D Yeah, I love my bujo, I'm obsessed with it. 

37 minutes ago, Echoceanic said:

The mattress thing sounds exhausting, but hopefully you get used to the new one too. My only experience with that is the first time I slept on a mattress that wasn't a decade older than me, I overslept so badly I woke up at 2pm and missed everything. :D 

LOL, yeah, they certainly don't make them like they used to. I keep trying to sleep on this one, but I end up spending 2 or 3 hours either tossing and turning or just lying there. Then I get fed up and move to the couch and I'm usually out in about 30 minutes LOL. So yeah, I'm not really sure what I'm going to do now.

• Like 1

Okay, I can finally sleep on the mattress now. Mostly, anyway. It's still not entirely comfortable and I don't sleep well, but I can at least sleep on it. I don't know if I like it, and it may end up going back, but for now I'll give it through the end of the trial period and see if it gets any better. Until then, though, I need to get back to routine, because I've let this mattress thing throw me off my game and I don't like it. Anyway, I've got lots to do today, so I hope I'm able to get it all done. 

Task list:

- Keep revising my short story

- Submit another one to a magazine

- Do some research

- Write up and organize some novel notes

- Yoga

- Laundry

- Cook a meal

- And, just for fun: catch up on new episodes of Roswell, New Mexico. Because I need something fun right now. 

If I get even half of these done, I will be happy. I think the current challenge ends soon so I'll just keep my log here until the next one starts. 

• Like 2

Well, I got about half of my task list done yesterday, which was about what I expected. I just kept getting distracted. Still, half done is better than nothing at all, so I'll take it. Anyway, the task list for today was: 

- Revise for an hour (ended up being more like 40-ish minutes)

- Write for 30 minutes

- Research for 30 minutes

- Movement and/or stretch for 20 minutes

- Cook/prepare a meal (ended up just making a sub sandwich, but I made it myself, so I'm counting it)

Probably was a little ambitious--I haven't been able to get much done during the week lately--but surprisingly I got through most of it. I'm pretty proud of myself, actually. I really needed a win, and I think I got it today. And now I'm so tired. Though honestly I feel like I've been nothing but tired for a while, and I don't think it's the mattress. Or maybe not just the mattress. I've just been in such a brain fog this whole year, and I don't know what my problem is. Anyway, off to bed. Night, nerds. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Jupiter said:

And now I'm so tired. Though honestly I feel like I've been nothing but tired for a while, and I don't think it's the mattress. Or maybe not just the mattress. I've just been in such a brain fog this whole year, and I don't know what my problem is.

Are you taking into account the fact that between the pandemic and the political climate in the US, those of us who give a shit have been under high non-stop stress for over a year and a half now? And that you are dealing this is in addition to the high stress you were already under from your job situation?

And why on earth are you assuming that the problem is with you?

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

On 8/24/2021 at 7:47 AM, Scaly Freak said:

Are you taking into account the fact that between the pandemic and the political climate in the US, those of us who give a shit have been under high non-stop stress for over a year and a half now? And that you are dealing this is in addition to the high stress you were already under from your job situation?

And why on earth are you assuming that the problem is with you?

That...is a very good point. I was not thinking about any of that, though I should have. I always just automatically assume the problem is me, I'm not sure why. 😕  

• Like 1

So, this week has been very busy, as usual. I took last week off so it was rough going back to work this week, especially during the month end madness. Some of my teammates got overwhelmed with files so I took on some extra to help out. And one of my co-workers had to leave for an emergency early in the week so I took on all of her files too until she came back. And on top of that, I had people asking for their stuff to be done early, at which point I was like yeah, no, not happening. So yeah, fun first week back. I managed to still get some writing work done, but not nearly as much as I wanted to. I only missed one day though, about mid-week. On the one hand, I was kind of proud of myself, because it was an actual, planned rest day (or rest evening, I guess), rather than just me skipping because I was too tired. But on the other hand, I felt guilty for taking the evening to do nothing. Anyway, I think I'm slowly starting to get more writing stuff done in the evenings, which is good. I also managed to do some yoga and 2 strength training workouts this week, and I made myself some sandwiches for most of the week instead of eating out. So, all in all, good progress I think.   

The mattress I think I'm finally getting used to. I think it might be softening up a little too. Again, still not the most comfortable just yet, but I'm getting used to it. It keeps me mostly cool at night at least. Also, I'm waking up with bug bites and I can't tell where they are coming from. I washed all my sheets, blankets and couch covers, and I checked my couch and mattress and found nothing. Bugs are everywhere right now, so I'm sure they came in from outside. But still. Not really something I wanted to have to stress about right now. 

And that's all I've got for now. Good night, nerds. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jupiter said:

That...is a very good point. I was not thinking about any of that, though I should have. I always just automatically assume the problem is me, I'm not sure why. 😕  

Don't beat yourself up for overlooking all of that. My therapist had to spell it out for me. She suggested that my brain was trying very hard not to think of all the Scary Stuff in the outside world, and as a result it was difficult for me to remember the Scary Stuff when I was trying to figure out why The Flame was slowly growing into an inferno. She knows her stuff, so I'm willing to go with that theory. :) 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 10:02 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Don't beat yourself up for overlooking all of that. My therapist had to spell it out for me. She suggested that my brain was trying very hard not to think of all the Scary Stuff in the outside world, and as a result it was difficult for me to remember the Scary Stuff when I was trying to figure out why The Flame was slowly growing into an inferno. She knows her stuff, so I'm willing to go with that theory. :) 

Yeah, that makes sense. She definitely sounds like a smart therapist. ;) 

• Like 1

Just talking about some personal stuff, feel free to skip:

Spoiler

Okay, so Sunday was pretty much a no-go. A friend of mine came over to hang out and that was pretty much that. Monday was better, and I got a lot done, way more than I thought I would, actually. Then I had a video chat  with a guy I've been messaging with for a couple weeks. I've been thinking about joining a dating app for a long while and finally bit the bullet and just did it. The chat went pretty well, I think, and I enjoyed talking to him, though I don't think we're all that compatible, and don't really see it working out over the long term. Still, it wasn't a bad interaction.

Today, though, I'm about ready to delete my account. This new guy messaged me today asking to see my photo (I don't have one up yet, I've been working myself up to posting one). I told him that I hadn't gotten to it yet, and when I tried to draw him into a conversation, he said he wouldn't talk to me if he couldn't see a photo. So I said okay, no problem and I thought that would be the end of it. Instead, he messaged me back, trying to push me into posting one. I said I wasn't ready to do that just yet and he went off on me and blamed me for the entire conversation and for wasting his time, even though he was the one who initiated it. I was so upset. I'm still upset. I'm about ready to just delete my account and forget this whole dating thing altogether. Who treats someone like that? He just made me feel so awful. I don't even want to go back to the app right now. 

Anyway, that's all I've got. 

• Angry on your Behalf 3

Ooof. 

Spoiler

That guy from the app was so far out of line it is beyond jerkdom and into asshole territory. If you are not ready to post a picture then he needs to respect that, and if he's not willing to, good riddance to him. He is neither smart, or honorable, or awesome enough to deserve talking to you in the first place. 

Does the app have a block feature? If it does, block him, put him behind you, and move on. if not... may I suggest you consider abandoning this particular app for one that does let you block people? For your own peace of mind, if nothing else.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Ooof. 

Reveal hidden contents

That guy from the app was so far out of line it is beyond jerkdom and into asshole territory. If you are not ready to post a picture then he needs to respect that, and if he's not willing to, good riddance to him. He is neither smart, or honorable, or awesome enough to deserve talking to you in the first place. 

Does the app have a block feature? If it does, block him, put him behind you, and move on. if not... may I suggest you consider abandoning this particular app for one that does let you block people? For your own peace of mind, if nothing else.

Spoiler

No, I couldn't find a block feature. There's a way to report him but I can't find his profile anymore, so I'm assuming he removed me from his list, which I guess then removes him from my list, which I'm fine with (actually, very, very relieved). I may move to a different app anyway, though. 

• Like 2
Spoiler

A guy who won't talk to you unless he sees a picture is not interested in having a relationship.  Please ignore (and block if possible) anyone else who makes that kind of unreasonable demand because they are 100% a waste of your time

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 8/31/2021 at 9:40 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Ooof. 

Reveal hidden contents

On 8/31/2021 at 11:18 PM, WhiteGhost said:
  Reveal hidden contents

A guy who won't talk to you unless he sees a picture is not interested in having a relationship.  Please ignore (and block if possible) anyone else who makes that kind of unreasonable demand because they are 100% a waste of your time

Thanks for the comments and support, guys, I appreciate you. :) 

• Like 1