The Great Hall: General Chatter

5 hours ago, Asha Phoenix said:

I'm sorry about your knee. Injuries are never fun! I hope it starts to heal and feel better soon!

As for other cardio ideas; rowing was something that came to mind. Looking for things online I came across the idea of kayaking or canoeing, or using an elliptical. (They also mentioned various things to do in the water)

Thanks! Rowing is fun. I'm pretty sure our fitness center is still closed but I'll check. I might just try doing a lot of gentle bodyweight exercises and the yoga poses I can do. It's not the same cardio boost my brain likes but it's good for my back.

• Like 1

A small Ranger with a hood almost covering her short-chopped blonde hair sidles into the great hall, her face a little pale and tired but her eyes dancing with a soft light, as if she has a secret. She stays along the perimeter of the room, content just to observe and notice who is present and who is absent, but when she turns to look toward the bar the barkeep is already there, an ice-cold matcha latte in his huge hands.

"I thought you'd be too busy to wander down this way, little one," he grins, handing her the frosty green drink and watching as she sips it in obvious delight and enjoyment. 

She quickly dabs her lips on her wrist and grins back. "I am, why do you think I'm here?"

"Almost time, eh?"

"Four days!"

The barkeep laughs, and a careful observer might spot a quick little tear jumping to his eye and vanishing as quickly as it appears. "It seems like just yesterday you came straggling in here, a freckle-faced kid who thought she could shoot a bow. Now look at you."

The small Ranger laughs but a slight blush colors her cheeks. "I have come a long way, haven't I?" she says, a little self-consciously.

"That you have. And?" - he pours  a little more cream into her glass - "The same strength, determination, courage, and faith that has gotten you this far is exactly what's going to keep you going forward on this adventure too. You have what you need or you'll find it along the way. And you won't be doing it alone. So go out there and take the leap and smile on your way down. You're going to find that you had wings all along, and you're going to soar."

Now two much larger tears glisten in the Ranger's eyelashes and she glances down into her mug with a shy smile. "I'll be back in a month, my friend. Don't forget my favorite drinks while I'm gone."

The barkeep shields her from the view of most while she quietly finishes the latte and hands back the stoneware glass, by then ready to meet his eyes and smile brightly. "What name should I expect when you get back?" he asks as she gives him a quick hug and heads for the door.

She looks over her shoulder and grins. "When I get back, you can call me Sky Nobleheart."

The barkeep winks cheerfully. "Better bring that husband of yours in here when you come back, Sky Nobleheart. Now go get married, and don't forget to have fun!"

• Like 9

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 48

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2022 Books in Progress:

When Strivings Cease  |  Happiness Workbook The Gifts of Imperfection  |  Mistborn  |

On 8/23/2021 at 7:27 PM, foxinthenorth said:

Is there something else I just can't think of?

How is your knee with cycling? Obviously that takes the leg through a fair range of motion, but it's much less impact than running.

Level 16 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 3  -  CON: 0  -  CHA: 0  -  SAN: 1  -  INT: 0

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Anatomy of an Orc

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

4 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

A small Ranger with a hood almost covering her short-chopped blonde hair sidles into the great hall, her face a little pale and tired but her eyes dancing with a soft light, as if she has a secret. She stays along the perimeter of the room, content just to observe and notice who is present and who is absent, but when she turns to look toward the bar the barkeep is already there, an ice-cold matcha latte in his huge hands.

"I thought you'd be too busy to wander down this way, little one," he grins, handing her the frosty green drink and watching as she sips it in obvious delight and enjoyment. 

She quickly dabs her lips on her wrist and grins back. "I am, why do you think I'm here?"

"Almost time, eh?"

"Four days!"

The barkeep laughs, and a careful observer might spot a quick little tear jumping to his eye and vanishing as quickly as it appears. "It seems like just yesterday you came straggling in here, a freckle-faced kid who thought she could shoot a bow. Now look at you."

The small Ranger laughs but a slight blush colors her cheeks. "I have come a long way, haven't I?" she says, a little self-consciously.

"That you have. And?" - he pours  a little more cream into her glass - "The same strength, determination, courage, and faith that has gotten you this far is exactly what's going to keep you going forward on this adventure too. You have what you need or you'll find it along the way. And you won't be doing it alone. So go out there and take the leap and smile on your way down. You're going to find that you had wings all along, and you're going to soar."

Now two much larger tears glisten in the Ranger's eyelashes and she glances down into her mug with a shy smile. "I'll be back in a month, my friend. Don't forget my favorite drinks while I'm gone."

The barkeep shields her from the view of most while she quietly finishes the latte and hands back the stoneware glass, by then ready to meet his eyes and smile brightly. "What name should I expect when you get back?" he asks as she gives him a quick hug and heads for the door.

She looks over her shoulder and grins. "When I get back, you can call me Sky Nobleheart."

The barkeep winks cheerfully. "Better bring that husband of yours in here when you come back, Sky Nobleheart. Now go get married, and don't forget to have fun!"

Have the greatest of times Sky and do come tell us everything when able!

• Like 2

... a little odd in the head ...

10 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

"Almost time, eh?"

"Four days!"

So proud of and happy for you. I wish you all the best.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

18 hours ago, Jarric said:

How is your knee with cycling? Obviously that takes the leg through a fair range of motion, but it's much less impact than running.

I haven't tried cycling in a couple years! Maybe I should try biking to work... (I proposed this a couple years ago. My husband did not love the idea of me cycling along a busy road every morning. Which is understandable.) Unfortunately if it is indeed a cartilage bruise (likely, I had a second chiro work on it a bit) it could take 6-8 weeks to fully heal so I think I'm just going to have to try out these alternatives as I have access to the equipment and find something that works.

• Like 4
On 8/25/2021 at 12:59 AM, SkyGirl said:

Ohhhh...congrats and anxiously awaiting your stories when you return Sky Nobleheart!

Always remember to have fun :D 

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CUTE adjusts

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 68

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

1 hour ago, Mr_Willes said:

In a particularly positive mood today! Thank you for asking!

And how are you doing?

Edit: Also am i the only one where tagging seems to take forever...

No, sometimes tagging is a little buggy.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 8/30/2021 at 4:44 PM, foxinthenorth said:

Is anybody interested in doing a caffeine-reduction PVP or support group (😝) next challenge? I need to switch from coffee to green tea to see if it helps some stress management stuff. It's not that hard of a switch in terms of mg of caffeine, I just don't want to do it because I really like my coffee and some peer pressure would help. 😁

Given the facts as you've outlined them, I think green tea is the wrong answer. Decaf coffee is the answer.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

No, sometimes tagging is a little buggy.

This gets Too Technical For Leisure rather than Not Safe For Work, but the TLDR is that I'm about to be that person telling you that you really need to get that checked out by a doctor ASAP because it might be serious:

Spoiler

I'd bet $5 this is due to what happens when actual people are allowed to invent any tags they please over a number of years, because I've seen that take down whole servers.

What happens is you wind up with 20 random variations on "biking", including bicycling, cycling, bicking, bike, bikes, bike!, biking!, bicicle, riding my bike, b1ke, etc, and then repeat that for every other sport or goal that comes in a verb form or a plural. When the software has to do certain tag operations, often things involving searching or auto-suggesting, for some of them the difficulty scales as (number of tags) x (number of tags), so those 20 tags cost 400 work units (20 tags x 20 tags) instead of 1 work unit (1 tag x1 tag) for just "biking", and then when you repeat that problem for 100 other terms, like running and sleeping and so on, suddenly you've got 2000x2000, or 4,000,000 work units instead of 100x100, or 10,000 work units.

If there are 10k tags in use, I'd bet 3k-5k of them are duplicates of common tags, and you might see a huge speed-up if the mods or tech people with access to view the full tag list went through and standardized away a few thousand of those. Auto-suggestion involves doing a lot of search operations very rapidly, because it does a search every time you type a letter, and search tends to be very computationally expensive, with some of the fastest ones being on the order of the square of the number of things you're searching. Multiply that by, apparently, a lot of guild leaders doing a burst of tagging in the same time period, and I'm not surprised the tagging is slow going.

Talk to your tech folks, but my $5 is on this being the leading edge of a problem that could become a more serious one if it's not dealt with now. A slowdown is the server working a little too hard, so some multiplier in there (ten tags too many, a couple of actively-tagging guild leaders too many) is pushing it slightly over the line of what it can handle. Left unfixed, if it is an exponential problem like searching tags, one day the server will hit its hard limits. Slowdowns today can turn into totally locking up the server so it's nearly unresponsive in 6-12 months. Every connection will time out because the server is working so hard to finish a tagging operation that it runs out of memory or CPU and literally cannot respond to, for instance, someone trying to log in. At that point, making the server accessible and stable enough for tech people to fix will become a significant problem, and can take several days, because they'll have to find a way to protect it from users like us who keep trying to log in or do what we do. It's really bad times for the tech people.

The less technical analogy is that we're essentially talking about the rise in covid cases hitting the healthcare system capacity line. Think of the work done per tag operation like a graph of covid cases: exponential rise in how much work the server has to do compared to the number of tags. The healthcare system capacity line is usually the server memory, and exceeding it breaks the server. The slowdowns are the flags being raised at hospitals that they're hitting capacity, and that capacity line is nearer than it looks. Standardizing away a few thousand misspellings that are rarely used is dropping the ICU caseload.

Possibly this is not what's going on. Some people must have solved the free tagging problem. The internet is full of free tagging, and you don't see Tumblr or Twitter publicly having this issue. But "slow" and "tags", especially on slightly old-fashioned things like blogs or forums, is not a combination of words that I will ever give an answer other than "uh, you should get that checked out by an expert sooner rather than later".

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

14 minutes ago, foxinthenorth said:

Have you a recommendation for a good decaf bean?

This depends on a lot of things, like whether you're someone who believes you can taste the decaffeination process and on what you drink now.

I think the decaffeination process changes the flavor less than the natural variation between coffees, roasts, or adding sugar or milk, so for most people, what they're reacting to isn't the decaffeination process but something else about the bean or its storage that they don't like. (That could be anything, down to "we don't sell much of it, so it sits in the warehouse longer/we don't use our best beans for it/etc". Or simply the word "decaffeinated", because apparently the word itself tastes bad, and leeches through the packaging to the beans.) So I don't think it's any different, really, from finding a good bean, full stop.

This list contains some recs that seem to come up a lot. But, again, it depends what you like now. If you prefer mellower Swedish coffees, this whole list might taste like shit to you, and you'd be better off going with Gevalia or some other Swedish brand. A list compiled by people who enjoy a Starbucks-style bay roast is going to utterly horrify people who think those flavor notes are literally burnt. Basically, I'd start by trusting the people you trust to pick the beans you drink already, because they aim for the flavor notes you like, and if that doesn't work for you, then you have a hunt.

(The one thing that page discusses that is interesting, and would be nice if it were more widespread, is brands that use water process decaffeination versus chemical decaffeination. But it's sort of niche right now. The decaffeination process is basically the decaffeination process, and it's all about who's buying the beans you like and handling them reliably.)

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

This gets Too Technical For Leisure rather than Not Safe For Work, but the TLDR is that I'm about to be that person telling you that you really need to get that checked out by a doctor ASAP because it might be serious:

Hide contents

I'd bet $5 this is due to what happens when actual people are allowed to invent any tags they please over a number of years, because I've seen that take down whole servers.

What happens is you wind up with 20 random variations on "biking", including bicycling, cycling, bicking, bike, bikes, bike!, biking!, bicicle, riding my bike, b1ke, etc, and then repeat that for every other sport or goal that comes in a verb form or a plural. When the software has to do certain tag operations, often things involving searching or auto-suggesting, for some of them the difficulty scales as (number of tags) x (number of tags), so those 20 tags cost 400 work units (20 tags x 20 tags) instead of 1 work unit (1 tag x1 tag) for just "biking", and then when you repeat that problem for 100 other terms, like running and sleeping and so on, suddenly you've got 2000x2000, or 4,000,000 work units instead of 100x100, or 10,000 work units.

If there are 10k tags in use, I'd bet 3k-5k of them are duplicates of common tags, and you might see a huge speed-up if the mods or tech people with access to view the full tag list went through and standardized away a few thousand of those. Auto-suggestion involves doing a lot of search operations very rapidly, because it does a search every time you type a letter, and search tends to be very computationally expensive, with some of the fastest ones being on the order of the square of the number of things you're searching. Multiply that by, apparently, a lot of guild leaders doing a burst of tagging in the same time period, and I'm not surprised the tagging is slow going.

Talk to your tech folks, but my $5 is on this being the leading edge of a problem that could become a more serious one if it's not dealt with now. A slowdown is the server working a little too hard, so some multiplier in there (ten tags too many, a couple of actively-tagging guild leaders too many) is pushing it slightly over the line of what it can handle. Left unfixed, if it is an exponential problem like searching tags, one day the server will hit its hard limits. Slowdowns today can turn into totally locking up the server so it's nearly unresponsive in 6-12 months. Every connection will time out because the server is working so hard to finish a tagging operation that it runs out of memory or CPU and literally cannot respond to, for instance, someone trying to log in. At that point, making the server accessible and stable enough for tech people to fix will become a significant problem, and can take several days, because they'll have to find a way to protect it from users like us who keep trying to log in or do what we do. It's really bad times for the tech people.

The less technical analogy is that we're essentially talking about the rise in covid cases hitting the healthcare system capacity line. Think of the work done per tag operation like a graph of covid cases: exponential rise in how much work the server has to do compared to the number of tags. The healthcare system capacity line is usually the server memory, and exceeding it breaks the server. The slowdowns are the flags being raised at hospitals that they're hitting capacity, and that capacity line is nearer than it looks. Standardizing away a few thousand misspellings that are rarely used is dropping the ICU caseload.

Possibly this is not what's going on. Some people must have solved the free tagging problem. The internet is full of free tagging, and you don't see Tumblr or Twitter publicly having this issue. But "slow" and "tags", especially on slightly old-fashioned things like blogs or forums, is not a combination of words that I will ever give an answer other than "uh, you should get that checked out by an expert sooner rather than later".

I don't mean tagging the threads in the initial post, I meant tagging people's username with the @ symbol in the text of replies. The way I read the response I quoted it seemed like you were mainly talking about tagging the threads with people's guild, which, as far as I know, is not an issue and only GLs can do. Let me know if I misinterpreted. 

Current Challenge

2 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I don't mean tagging the threads in the initial post, I meant tagging people's username with the @ symbol in the text of replies. The way I read the response I quoted it seemed like you were mainly talking about tagging the threads with people's guild, which, as far as I know, is not an issue and only GLs can do. Let me know if I misinterpreted. 

Ah, it was not clear which you and @Mr_Willes meant. (I did think it was a little early for the monthly GL tagging season, but hey, you guys move in mysterious ways.) It's the same root technical problem, which is that search and live autosuggestion of a growing list is exponentially expensive as it gets bigger, but without the simple fix of being able to tidy up accidental misspellings. ;)

Those aren't quite the same operational threat, because of how it's used on the site and how it's only accessible to registered users, not web crawlers and search engines like tags. A purge of spammers and never used zero-activity accounts from years ago would likely speed that up, if it's been a while since the last one. Otherwise, well, it can just get slow as the number of new accounts grows, and we live with it or stop using the plugin because we're impatient.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I think the decaffeination process changes the flavor less than the natural variation between coffees, roasts, or adding sugar or milk, so for most people, what they're reacting to isn't the decaffeination process but something else about the bean or its storage that they don't like.

This makes sense. I just checked and my usual roasters do have one decaf option each, so that's worth a shot for starters. Thanks!

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, foxinthenorth said:

This makes sense. I just checked and my usual roasters do have one decaf option each, so that's worth a shot for starters. Thanks!

That sounds like the best start, especially since an actual roaster is likely to handle the beans very carefully, whatever they are, and what you get will be very freshly roasted. That reduces the things that can go wrong, even if it does mean you might not get your first choice of bean or roast. (Although, if you're on a first name basis, maybe you can get a custom roast.)

It sounds like you're steps away from roasting your own green coffee beans, and that might open up your decaf options a little.

Either way, it's less of a taste and habit change than switching to green tea, and more of a caffeine reduction, so I think you're coming out ahead of the green tea plan twice over. Don't get me wrong, I like green tea, too, but it's much better at being the original green tea than it is at being the new coffee. :D