Sara Kingdom Follows the Path of Surak in Meditation and Study

Voy2b.jpg

Challenge goals:

• Walk
  • Meditate
  • Study

Bonus: Do logical things when there is emotional resistance.

Stardate: Week 0 Day X

Mon      Tue       Wed     Thu     Fri       Sat     Sun    
Journal              
Fitness              

Vulcan Meditation

Study

Daily Schedule Planning

Hide contents
Start Deep Work Organization Deep Work
  • Hydration & setup
  • Meds
  • Eat
  • Journal
  • Course
  • Short break
  • TBD
  • Course
Break Deep Work Organization Deep Work
  • Hydrate
  • Eat
  • Course
  • Short break
  • TBD
  • Course
Break TBD TBD

End

• Hydrate
  • Eat

• Yoga
  • PM fast clean
Weekly Project 1 Weekly Project 2 Weekly Project 3

Unscheduled Tasks

Project Summer Living Room

1. Mailers
  2. Put away storage
  3. Move furniture
  4. Tidy Workspace
  5. Clean and store rug
  6. Sweep
  7. Mop
  8. Put down new rugs
  9. Re-cover sofa

Project Biohazards

1. Get back to sink zero
  2. Take out the trash
  3. Clean out fridge
  4. More cleaning out fridge
  5. Take out more trash
  6. Wash fridge shelves
  7. Take out recycling
  8. Get the hall off the hotspot list and put in new recycling bin
  9. Seasonal oven clean
  10. Seasonal dishwasher clean
  11. Clean microwave
  12. Dry penultimate load of laundry
  13. Fold penultimate laundry
  14. Do last of the laundry backlog
  15. Dry last of the laundry backlog
  16. Fold last of the laundry backlog

Project Fresh Greens

1. Clean planters
  2. Wash windowsills
  3. Install the rest of the irrigation
  4. Set up irrigation pump and timer
  5. Plant microgreens
  6. Plant herbs
  7. Plant lettuce
  8. Clean and spray hydroponic jars
  9. Set up hydroponic jars
  10. Plant hydroponic jars

Daily List Generator & Tracker

Hide contents

To Do  Now Done

The Way

1. Walk
  2. Meditate
  3. Bonus: yoga
  4. Bonus: IF

Study
  1. Course 🌟
  2. Admin paperwork
  3. Side Course
  4. Burnout book

Basic Duties
  1. Make a meal
  2. Run one errand
  3. UFYH cleaning session 1
  4. UFYH cleaning session 2

Meds & hydrate - 5

Organization & Harmony
  1. Bathroom maintenance
  2. Sink zero

Resolve the Situation    
Rest
  • Crochet - 15
  • Coloring book - 15
  • WWJD? - 60
  • Music- 30

Stored tasks
  1. More server work
  2. Finish holiday cleanup
  3. prep mailers
  4. Grocery top up
  1. Tidy plant pots and move to final location
  2. Replant microgreens
  3. Solve bathroom media power problem - 15
  4. Plan evening routine - 30
  1. Finish irrigation setup
  2. Plant herbs and lettuce
  3. Check notes for unfinished jobs
Stored projects
  1. Get hall off hotspot list
  2. Fridge organize
  3. More laundry
  1. Food portion and freeze
  2. Cabinet organize
  3. Mop, sweep, and rug
  1. Mount Awful
  2.  Closet
  3. Tidy laundry room

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Bonus: Do logical things when there is emotional resistance

What happens when you do emotional things when there is logical resistance?

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

No bonus.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Peace and long life.

Goals are more attainable in the company of those who would see the goals achieved. Therefore, it is logical for me to follow this thread.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Peace and long life.

Goals are more attainable in the company of those who would see the goals achieved. Therefore, it is logical for me to follow this thread.

Most sensible.  Your logic is sound.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 10:50 AM, sarakingdom said:

Hmm. This seems very open to interpretation. For example, if you’re emotionally resistant to cooking dinner, is the logical thing to cook anyway, or to reduce to resistance by having ice cream for dinner? 🤔

Stardate: Week 0 Day 0

An abbreviated schedule.

Today's goal: set up for success tomorrow so I don't start the week behind

Daily Schedule Planning

Hide contents
Start 4 Organization 5 Deep Work 6 Organization 7
  • Hydration
  • Meds
  • Eat
  • WWJD
  • Short break
  • Bag up trash
  • Run laundry
  • Sink zero
  • Course
  • short break
  • Sink zero
  • find pants
  • take out recycling
Break Deep Work Organization End
  • Hydrate
  • Eat
  • Course
  • Hall hotspot
  • clean fridge
  • WWJD

Weekly Project 1 Weekly Project 2  

Unscheduled Tasks

1. Tidy Workspace

Project Biohazards

1. Get back to sink zero
  2. Take out the trash
  3. Clean out fridge
  4. More cleaning out fridge
  5. Take out more trash
  6. Wash fridge shelves
  7. Take out recycling
  8. Get the hall off the hotspot list and put in new recycling bin

Hide contents

To Do  Now Done

The Way

Study
  1. Course 🌟

Basic Duties    
Organization & Harmony
  1. Bathroom maintenance
  2. Sink zero

Resolve the Situation    
Rest    

• Like 1

WWJD? S02x24 Tuvix

This one's a little infamous in terms of what Janeway would do.

Janeway would:

• Wisely send a shuttle after the transporter accident.
  • Not accept flattery.
  • Have letters Tuvok wrote her when they were on duty in different places.
  • Find his writing concise and thoughtful, not cold.
  • Have become fond of Neelix. This is her first bad judgment yet.
  • Talk about the emotional struggles of accepting they're indefinitely stranded in the delta quadrant and being discouraged and stuff.
  • Knows that one day she'll have to accept her fiance isn't part of her life anymore.
  • Angst about the decision to separate Tuvok and Neelix.
  • Take responsibility for making the decision over Tuvix, because Tuvok and Neelix aren't there to speak for themselves.
  • Make a horrific decision.
  • Carry it out herself, so no one else is responsible for it.
  • Understand the full weight of what she did.

Spoiler

In this episode:

• Tuvok and Neelix have been sent to collect flowers as a nutritional supplement, because... they both grow orchids? Someone thinks they're comedy gold together?
  • "You're acting especially... Tuvokian this morning." "I am who I am, Mr. Neelix, it is impossible for me to be more or less myself." So that's not foreshadowing or anything.
  • A funeral dirge was the most cheerful song Neelix could find in the database. Also not foreshadowing at all
  • "Mr. Neelix... do you think you could behave a little less like yourself?" Also not foreshadowing.
  • So there's a transporter glitch. And they only get one person back. An unholy mix of Tuvok and Neelix.
  • And the orchids. They're fused with the orchids.
  • The EMH is putting Kes in a really awkward position when he asks her to run tests on the fusion dude.
  • Even his behavior is a blend of Tuvok and Neelix
  • He has the memories of both, but a single consciousness, so he calls himself Neevok. Then Tuvix.
  • Tuvix wants to resume the tactical officer job, because that is more important than Neelix's cooking.
  • "According to my tests, he's quite correct when he says he possesses Tuvok's knowledge and expertise. He also possesses Tuvok's irritating sense of intellectual superiority, and Neelix's annoying ebullience. I would be very grateful to you if you would assign him some duty. Any duty. Somewhere else."
  • Tuvix believe the orchids have a rare reproductive pattern that forms hybrids, and the chemicals, when combined with the molecular breakdown of the transporter, fused everyone.
  • Kes is really, really weirded out by this situation. Understandably. And does not accept a dinner invitation. And then does.
  • Half the crew is trying to function as one bad short-order cook, so Tuvix throws them out and cooks.
  • Tuvix even cooks like half Tuvok and half Neelix. And organizes his kitchen like that.
  • Tuvix is a lot better than Neelix. Can we have Tuvok and Tuvix at the same time?
  • Tuvix is more efficient than Tuvok because he has hunches.
  • Tom and Belanna are gardening. Okay, conducting transporter tests.
  • The EMH can't separate the chrysanthemums and gardenias without killing them, so Tuvix may need to stay Tuvix.
  • Kes and the EMH  both mourn Tuvok and Neelix.
  • Tuvix learns to accept being Tuvix, and tries to support Kes, but ends up coming onto her instead, which is awkward, because half of him has a wife back home. And he uses the "I could be stuck this way for years, and you only live to be nine years old, so that could be your whole life" line, which isn't creepy at all.
  • Kes goes to Janeway for advice, because she still loves Neelix, even though Tuvix is great and all.
  • There's a lot of hugging and found-familying and stuff.
  • Two weeks pass.
  • Tuvix settles in and people get used to him, and he gives Kes some space. He advises Janeway well, and cooks better than Neelix.
  • The EMH figures out how to separate Tuvok and Neelix.
  • Kes awkwardly warms to Tuvix. She wants to be friends. Friends who can maybe grow in time. "I'm not going anywhere," says Tuvix, with possibly the worst timing ever.
  • Tuvix refuses the separation, because he doesn't want to die.
  • Janeway and Chakotay debate at what point Tuvix became an individual and not a transporter accident.
  • Tuvix is all, "This is my life and my decision," and "What you're arguing for is an execution."
  • And the thing is, Janeway has occasionally made the opposite choice, not sacrificing the person who is alive now for the person who is dead. It's not  totally clear why she doesn't here. Not that it's out of character, but that they don't show her thought process. I think the argument must in part be that there are two people and all their families affected, and the needs of the many, and so on. It may also be that the answer to "when did he become an individual and not a transporter accident" is not very convincing.
  • Tuvix is all, "I have the will to live of two men, and I am flesh and blood, and I have the right to live," and he's not precisely wrong, even if he's also not precisely right.
  • Tuvix goes to Kes for help with the captain. Which is a mistake, because if she could get Neelix back, my friend...
  • "Tuvix has asked me to speak to you on his behalf... but I can't." So Kes isn't ready to let go of Tuvok and Neelix, even though she doesn't think Tuvix deserves to die.
  • Tuvix does not have Tuvok's discretion. Or willingness to follow orders. He freaks out about "are you all going to stand by while she commits murder?" This is sad and pathetic. And a lot of "Each of you is going to have to live with this, and I'm sorry for that, because you're good people. My friends. I forgive you."
  • Is this time for a funeral dirge?
  • Ah, the EMH says he can't perform the separation, because Tuvix isn't consenting, and he can't break his oath.
  • So Janeway does it herself. They are seriously filming this like an execution. Horrific. And she's totally acting like she executed someone afterwards.

That should have been silly, and was successfully played as horrific. It's quite a good moral dilemma episode, though it gets used a lot by Janeway haters in some strange ways. (The truth is, they'd have used it to their own ends whichever decision she had made, because it was that sort of decision where doing no harm is not an option, and doing the least harm is the best you can do.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Hmm. This seems very open to interpretation. For example, if you’re emotionally resistant to cooking dinner, is the logical thing to cook anyway, or to reduce to resistance by having ice cream for dinner? 🤔

It's quite a logical leap to assume that ice cream is the only alternative to cooking. Sadly.

• Like 1

WWJD? S02x25 Resolutions

The TL;DR on this post is: Go home, subtext, you're drunk.

Before I post the review, we have to talk about the elephant in the room of this episode. All shows have subtext. Subtext is great. It's what means we can always find some fictional interpretation that is relevant to our current life situation and needs. I heart subtext. But in Voyager, the two leads rented a convertible in Subtextville, raced down the highway straight through Explicittown, past the suburbs of So Explicit That Maybe It's Platonic Again Heights, took the exit after Wait More Subtext City, drove past the WTF Is This Salt Flats, and spent the night blasting their radio on Hell If I Know Beach while drinking a bottle of wine together and watching the stars. Voyager does some wild things to subtext.

Nothing officially happens. Mulgrew made the sensible point that she was not gonna have the first female captain be the only one who skipped the mandatory HR presentations on not sleeping with your direct reports (something one of the producers of the show could have learned from), and even if you could argue extenuating circumstances, there's gonna be an audience double standard for women. She wasn't wrong. Even if it did lead to an undignified number of romances with fictional holodeck characters. (More than zero, IMO.) And for those who haven't seen Voyager, he's the renegade terrorist captain she was sent to arrest, then they both got flung 70 years' travel from home and had to merge their crews for reasons, and that's gotta be way up there on the list of understandable complications for your Facebook status. Starfleet HR's gonna have questions, is all I'm saying.

But then she and Beltran spent all of seven years* essentially doing this, even when the writing didn't (and especially when did):

(I tried to find the least sappy music I could. That is so not my scene. I am not a romance fan. But for some reason, Youtube is not full of "It's Complicated, and There's Subtext We Need To Discuss" montage videos, so I was limited to what I could find.)

None of that is out of context. If anything, it's under-representing things. And if that weren't explicit enough, let's take a look at a major scene from this episode:

Guys. That is so far beyond subtext I don't even know what to call it. It is painfully romantic. I mean, it's sweet, but it causes me actual pain. And then somehow goes that little bit further at the end, undercuts its own sweetness a bit, and redeems itself. I'm not sure this scene leaves any doubt that we're looking at pure selfless love right there. What's unclear is precisely what sort it is. And that's more interesting.

I'm not sure how much of this the writers/producers intended, but here's what they kind of got right:

• I like that they didn't get around to sticking a convenient label and a set of standard expectations and yawnable standard melodrama plots around it. That would have driven me crazy. Standard TV romance plots are terrible. Instead, we got... that. Something more non-standard, and it held very steady.
  • I like that it's a rare depiction of a non-transactional relationship between a man and a woman. TV is a little light on the sorts of non-sexual friendships men and women can have in general, and there's a huge swathe of the population that believes all male regard for women is inherently transactional. If they're not getting (or about to get) sex in return for caring, she'd better be their mother, daughter, or sister. So it's refreshing to have a close friendship between a man and a woman that's really not that concerned with their sexual status.
  • I like that it's complicated. Adult life is complicated. You meet people at the wrong time, under the wrong circumstances, when you have family or professional obligations. After high school or college, who has the luxury of a clearly defined relationship all the time? Sometimes you and the guy you were sent to arrest get flung 70,000 light years from home, and he sacrifices his ship to save yours, and you need to take in his crew. Complicated. You muddle through.
  • I also like that it's very simple. However complicated it is, you can also just decide to do your best and pull people into your found family as best you can, because what matters is who they are, not what they are.
  • I like that it's ambiguous. There's no point where it's very clear what's going on, and it usually seems like they've got three or four different relationships running in parallel, and that's also interesting. The other thing about adult relationships is, it's no one's business but theirs, so whatever works.
  • While I'm largely anti-romance, it's mostly because I don't like the formula. I'm fairly pro whatever that shit there is. It's selfless and generous and sweet, and it's very much in the vein of "love is the daily choice to put another person's needs ahead of your own", which is a more mature take than you usually see.
  • Also, the rough outline of his story is apparently my hard narrative kink, and I would watch a thousand stories about ultra-competent dudes who are unquestioningly loyal beyond the call of duty to the women who give them orders, even though the only ones that actually exist are Modesty Blaise, the Daniel Craig and Judi Dench Bond era, Mad Max Fury Road, and Voyager.

Back in the day, when we called Janeway 'Space Mom', it was derogatory, like they were relegating her to a glorified soccer mom kind of role, but Kids These Days seem to call these two Space Mom and Space Dad in a far more approving sort of way, and I think they've got a good take. First, because we were kind of wrong about the space soccer mom thing, I think, but second, because it is a far more gender-neutral found family role these two are sharing. In terms of really selflessly working to take care of others in expansive ways that grow to meet an unusual set of demands, they're both right there. It's not a feminine gender role thing here, it's a damn good captain thing, and here we have two damn good captains who both took on that role and turned into one damn good command team when the circumstances called for it. And the personal side of that is interesting and ambiguous and unusually devoted to each other in ways that make a mockery of the very idea of subtext.

So this episode raises some questions it does not answer on the matter of what (or indeed who) Janeway would do, and if my review makes it look like I've drunk the shipping kool-aid, it's not my fault, because this episode explodes a twenty megaton romance bomb and covers everything in glitter and rose petals. Believe me, emotionally awkward massages and confessions of altruistic love are the tip of the iceberg, because, it's been a while, but I know there's bath tubs in this, and god knows what else. But it was there anyway. Even outside this episode, it's right there on the surface. It's just ambiguous exactly what it is. As the dude himself says, he's not sure he can put parameters on it. And if they work together smoothly because the underlying personal relationship is "whatever we need from each other today is what we are", well, that's an interesting thing. Whatever it is, it's great found family stuff.

(If slightly brain-breaking. I have no idea why they will be holding hands on the bridge in some future episode. I can't think of any professional justification for that. I've had bosses I consider like family, but I've never held their hands. I dunno, guys, some of the emotional choices the actors are making for these two are utterly wild, especially given that it was Mulgrew's choice to nix anything happening onscreen. If they're doing this deliberately as some sort of loving found family thing, and I wouldn't put it past either of them, then I love how completely unjaded and pure it is, but I'm still sitting here going, "What the hell are they doing?" Go home, subtext, you're drunk.)

*I gather there's some other stuff in season 7, but it sounds like Star Trek V: so misjudged that we're doing them a favor to forget it happened. And it seems like the franchise itself has officially forgotten it, too. So either they decided it was too dumb to live, or Voyager was cancelled before they finished the subplot and it wasn't intended to end with that situation intact.

• Like 2

Stardate: Week 0 Day 1

Mon      Tue       Wed     Thu     Fri       Sat     Sun    
Journal              
Fitness 🖖            

Vulcan Meditation

Study

🖖            

Daily Schedule Planning

Hide contents

Break 5 Organization 6 Deep Work 7

• Hydrate
  • Eat
  • Collect recycling
  • Tidy yogatorium
  • Sink zero
  • Clean fridge
  • Take out more trash
  • Wash fridge shelves
  • Course
Break 8 TBD 9 TBD 10

End 11

• Hydrate
  • Eat
  • Use up chicken and cantaloupe and salad
  • Tidy hall
  • Take out recycling
  • Set up laundry rack

• Yoga
  • PM fast clean
Weekly Project 1 Weekly Project 2 Weekly Project 3

Unscheduled Tasks

1. Mailers
  2. Put away storage
  3. Move furniture
  4. Tidy Workspace

Project Biohazards

1. Get back to sink zero
  2. Take out the trash
  3. Clean out fridge
  4. Take out more trash
  5. Wash fridge shelves
  6. Take out recycling
  7. Get the hall off the hotspot list and put in new recycling bin

• Journal

Hide contents

To Do  Now Done

The Way

1. Meditate
  2. Bonus: yoga
  3. Bonus: IF
  4. Journal

1. Walk
Study
  1. Course 🌟

1.  Course 🌟
  2. Course 🌟
Basic Duties    
  1. Eat
  2. Meds
  3. Hydration
  4. Find pants
  5. Needed rest
Organization & Harmony
  1. Bathroom maintenance
  2. Sink zero
  • Collect recycling
  • Tidy yogatorium
  • Sink zero
  1. Run laundry
  2. Collect trash
  3. Take out trash
Resolve the Situation    
Rest
  • WWJD? - 60

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

It's quite a logical leap to assume that ice cream is the only alternative to cooking. Sadly.

I didn't say it was the only alternative. My point is that it's one of the many ways you can logically solve emotional resistance, which makes your statement wide open for interpretation. ;) Just because a solution is logical doesn't mean it's a good one.

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

I didn't say it was the only alternative. My point is that it's one of the many ways you can logically solve emotional resistance, which makes your statement wide open for interpretation. ;) Just because a solution is logical doesn't mean it's a good one.

No one specified solving the emotional resistance with logic. And no one said being able to find some way to parse my statements made this the Monty Python "Seeking an Argument" room. Just stop. Pick arguments somewhere else, please.

• Like 1

Walked during my lectures. Every part of my body was stiff and needed stretching. My back needed lots of cracking, my hamstrings needed stretching, my hips were tight, and my lower back needed tons of pressure on some tight knots. That took forever, but I feel a lot better.

So now we see if I pick up the material thus way.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2021 at 4:04 AM, WhiteGhost said:

You ear Romulan points. Or Human Teenager points, if the resistance is very high.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

WWJD? S02x25 Resolutions

Okay, I'm gonna have to steel myself and explode the twenty megaton romance bomb. Brace for glitter and rose petals.

Janeway would:

• She probably would, yes.
  • Not ask the crew to risk themselves for her.
  • Do science.
  • Love a bathtub for relaxing.
  • Decide they're not in a command structure, and they're going to use first names.
  • Do more science.
  • Hate not knowing everything.
  • Do science in the bath.
  • Not be big on accepting the things she can't change. She can change anything.
  • Do more science.
  • Hate Chakotay decorating shit, because it feels like he's given up on finding a cure and leaving.
  • Seem to prefer the Disney heroine look off-duty, all braids and long dresses.
  • Fail to notice she's cuddling with her first officer because the precious science equipment is crashing to the ground, and maybe she won't be able to do science.
  • Clear brush.
  • Accidentally engage in a stereotypical romance film seduction, but nope out because she's super awkward with emotions.
  • Like rules. Defined parameters. Tidy emotional situations.
  • Be super charmed by a fake story.
  • Used to prefer quantum mechanics to gardening.
  • Always has an opinion.
  • Starts to adapt to the bucolic life.
  • Adapts back real fast.
  • Insults Tuvok by calling his decision to contact the Vidiians 'emotional'. Well, he did say he'd accept all the consequences on everyone's behalf. There it is.
Spoiler

In this episode:

• Two stasis pods on an idyllic planet. Janeway and Chakotay wake up at the alarm and get a message from the EMH. They've been in stasis for 17 days.
  • The EMH has exhausted all possible cures for some virus that is apparently fatal is they leave that planet, and wants to ask the Vidiians for help.
  • Janeway and Chakotay decide they can't live with the risk of sending the crew to ask the Vidiians to help them, so they turn the ship over to Tuvok and order him to take them home and not contact the Vidiians.
  • Torres is not cool with this. Nor is Paris and nearly everyone but Tuvok, who is like, so we're dumping some supplies and leaving.
  • Neelix, shut up, you stupid yellow twat.
  • Tuvok seems to have sent her a whole science lab.
  • Chakotay is all, "So are we in a beige mood or a gray mood, and why doesn't Starfleet do color?" And also, "Your idea of roughing it seems to include an entire science lab, a replicator, furniture..."
  • She's all, "Gah, I haaaated camping when I got dragged off to it, I need a bathtub to relax in and shit, civilization."
  • He needs a few days to use her first name.
  • No one on the ship can concentrate, so Torres relaxes by biting the heads off some poor ensign.
  • Harry and Belanna seem to... plot mutiny?
  • Or rather, Harry does, and Belanna's like, if you have ideas, I'll listen, but otherwise, suck it up, buttercup.
  • Janeway is capturing insects to get a virus sample, while Chakotay is building something secret in the woods. (It's a bathtub. Because she likes bathtubs.)
  • Tuvok interrupts them flirting to let them know the ship is about to leave communications range.
  • So Janeway gives one last moving speech to her crew about their bravery, compassion, strength, and sense of fun, and wishes them a quick journey home.
  • Day 24. There is a bathtub. Janeway thinks in the bath.
  • There are monkeys. Monkeys which get Janeway out of the bath and Chakotay out of the shelter, so they can be briefly awkward about her wearing a towel.
  • Wait, they've spent three weeks having long yelling conversations where she's in the bath, and he's inside? Kids, you're adorable.
  • She still looks super young when she's not in uniform. A child.
  • Janeway wants to go monkey-hunting, because the monkeys must be able to handle the virus somehow.
  • Chakotay's like, "The EMH spent a month on this, you've spent a month of long days on this... maybe it ain't happening."
  • Janeway's all, "I've heard the word 'quit' before from losers, but I do not know its definition."
  • Chakotay's like, "Acceptance isn't defeat. It's a useful life skill."
  • Janeway's all, "Maybe one day, dude. Not today."
  • Tuvok is making captain's logs about how problematic for the crew this seems to be. But still shoots down Harry when they run into Vidiians and Harry wants to ask them.
  • Harry is such a pain in the ass about it that he's relieved of duty and has to be talked down by Tom Paris. But a bunch of other people come up to him and agree with him. So he goes to Torres with his new idea. The stupid yellow fuck edges his way in, and since it's a "morale booster", they let him in.
  • Tuvok has a meditation candle with boobs on it. Well, no, probably not, it's probably people holding their arms up, but it looks like boobs and a torso.
  • Harry goes to Tuvok's quarters at night. Tuvok apparently dresses like a Vulcan at home.
  • Tuvok accepts his apology for his behavior, because he understands how stressful the situation is. Then Harry suggests a plan. So no mutiny. Man, people on this ship keep being more sensible than I expect them to be.
  • Tuvok is all, no, and if you ever question my orders again, you'll be relieved from duty permanently. I mean, his reasoning is logical and about keeping people safe and all, but he's got a lot of people really pissed off with him.
  • Chakotay is doing more woodwork. He's making a headboard for Janeway's bed, because she sits up in her bed to read, and he wants her to have a comfortable backrest. They're going super-literal on the "will do anything to support Janeway" thing here.
  • He also does the cooking. Janeway hates cooking. This dude.
  • Then he does the emotional labor and is all, "But you hate it when I do stuff to make the shelter nicer, don't you."
  • (Note that he is now doing the cooking, the emotional labor, and the literal homemaking.)
  • And she's all, "I hate that it seems like you've given up", and he's all, "I gotta live in the present, man. The future might never get here."
  • So they agree to disagree for today. She's all, "One day, but not today. More insect hunting!"
  • So she puts her insects in her space thermos and finds a monkey. And a major storm rolls in, alarming the monkey. She and the monkey run for shelter. (Separate shelters.)
  • She gets knocked down a lot by the storm, because it... I don't know, it's raining earthquakes? Unclear. Let's be honest, it's an excuse for Chakotay to run into the forest to rescue her.
  • Kes goes to see Tuvok, and wants to talk about her father. Tuvok is very kind about not being able to imagine the trip without her, and honored by the comparison she makes between him and her father. Space dad. This found family, guys.
  • Kes gets to the real point, which is, "So, when you say you care about the well-being of the crew, do you mean their emotional well-being as well as their physical safety?" Cuz the crew is suffering.
  • Tuvok is all, "If you think I don't get it, I do. I lost a great friend, and I'm not insensitive to that."
  • Kes is all, "Great, so we've ambushed you with a ton of people on the bridge for you to talk to about this," and Tuvok looks very, very displeased.
  • Tuvok is all, "Fine, we'll contact the Vidiians, I'll take full responsibility, you're all absolved of the consequences," which is both generous and very, very passive-aggressive. Especially since it's not that big a group.
  • Back on Planet Eden, the storm rages on, and it's still raining earthquakes or something,  so Janeway and Chakotay are inside huddling under a table to keep stuff from falling on them. I don't need to specify that "huddling" means "spooning", right? Janeway can't really appreciate how comforting this guy is, though, because she's kind of freaking out about the science lab gear falling all over the place.
  • He kindly thinks about her insect traps when they go outside to check on the damage.
  • Nothing is salvageable. She can't keep doing science. Noooo, you bastards! No science!
  • The EMH's former Vidiian girlfriend wants to help them, which is nice of her. She has a cure. They have a rendez-vous. Tuvok adds battle drills, because he's not stupid.
  • Chakotay's thinking of adding rooms onto the shelter. Janeway's all, "This is way better than camping," and realizes what a depressing pill she's been to live with when Chakotay is all, "That's the first time you've said anything positive about this planet ever."
  • "Well, I can't give you orders anymore, but... I suggest we get back to work." "Aye aye, captain!" Yeah, somehow I think you will be able to give this guy orders forever. He's got a type.
  • After a day of manual labor, it is time for awkward shoulder massages. There's, like, no emotional reserve to Chakotay at all, not one iota of cool. He's a total heart-on-sleeve kinda guy, and so openly reverent during this scene that it's almost embarrassing. I don't get how this can be so repressed, and so... not, at the same time. (And not just because this setup is to romance films what the pizza boy arriving is to porn films. The look on his face when he touches her hair. Dude, please get an emotional filter. I mean, I admire you for being so in touch with your feelings and all, but it makes me uncomfortable to watch you feel things.)
  • Janeway nopes out awkwardly, because emotional labor is not her thing, and she probably has emotions, but, like, there's no Starfleet regulation that says you need them for captaining, so they're kind of dusty and unpracticed. She is so much more emotionally awkward than him, it's adorable.
  • She can't sleep. He can't concentrate.
  • The Enterprise is getting ambushed.
  • Janeway decides she needs rules and guidelines to science and regulation her way through this emotional awkwardness. Sorry, defined parameters. Which just means, she needs rules. Order. That is so her.
  • Chakotay is all, "I dunno how to do rules and order with this shit," and that is so him.
  • So he tells her a fake native story that she totally sees through cuz it's obvious, and he admits he was just finding a way to tell her. Which is good, because otherwise that fake native story was unbelievably fake and awkward. So I'm glad they made fun of that in the scene. I'm not on board with traditional native stories and sayings.
  • And the thing is, this story kind of makes sense of him from day one. Because he really has been working from day one to make her burden lighter, and there is some interesting stuff going on about his identity changing when he leaves Starfleet and now when he comes back to it. Anyway, it's not totally clear what kind of love that is, but I think it basically is.
  • Also, it's very explicit about the gender role reversal they're doing here with these two, that she's the action hero and he's in the ultra giving female role.
  • There are happy tears. And hand-holding. And I think not precisely a rejection of whatever that is. All this is super ambiguous, guys.
  • Tuvok loses a few more torpedoes. They're all in trouble.
  • The EMH's Vidiian girlfriend tries to sneak the antidote out to him, she didn't know they were going to attack. So the EMH talks to Tuvok, and they work out a way to lower the shields long enough beam aboard the antidote.
  • Tuvok does his tactical thing, and they take the antidote back to the planet where they left Janeway and Chakotay.
  • Who are growing a garden. And bonding.
  • "I could use your opinion on something in the house." "You've come to the right person, I always have an opinion." "Really?" Chakotay does a good job of acting like he met her yesterday.
  • He wants to build a boat. She wants to use it to go camping. (Which she hates.)
  • This is when they get a call from Tuvok. So they have thirty hours of bucolic idyll, which they spend packing up and getting back into uniform.
  • Janeway gives the monkey the house.
  • And they're kind of both, "Oh well, what might have been, huh?"
  • And are back doing their jobs like pros as soon as they get on board.

Oh my god, I'm never going to get this glitter off, guys.  And rose petals are so hard to sweep up when they wilt.

For an episode that's really throwing the cat amongst the pigeons characterization-wise, it was sadly not very good. A load of tropes strung together. (This is very true to the TOS roots of Trek, though. Every one of their romance episodes was like the literal source of every fanfic trope you've ever seen, from Sex Pollen to Aliens Made Them Do It. So perhaps an episode that feels like formulaic fanfic is precisely the Trekkiest version of horny on main.) Anyway, formulaic romance is really not my thing. I feel for the actors, having to inject actual humanity into that, and to their credit, they do. And that, I think, is, precisely what makes it uncomfortable, because you're watching realistic emotional connection behind some very awkward dialog and situations, and ironically that makes it feel like the awkwardness of real people who can't think of good dialog on the fly and fall back on formulas and making situations awkward, and, like, you just want to tell them to get a room because it's weirdly voyeuristic and also slightly depressing to hear real people speak in cliches, and just again the awkwardness and the second-hand embarrassment of it all. However, it is a big step up from Aliens Made Them Do It  or Sex Pollen. It wasn't even Had To Share a Bed or Pretend Married, they literally just lived in a space cabin and separately did some hobbies for a month or so. Forced To Take a Vacation And Consider Life Together is not on the trope list.

I need to get rid of the taste of all this sugary romance bomb. So I'm just going to point out that between this episode's "I know I can't give you orders any more, but..." "Aye-aye, captain," and every time Tom Paris says "Yes, ma'am":

...I think we have in fact identified the kink of at least two men on that ship.

Which actually makes total sense of their romantic choices.

Yeah, I dunno, guys, probably Space Mom and Space Dad are space-married, or something. Whatever. It's complicated. What on earth did I just watch here?

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 3:50 AM, sarakingdom said:

Interesting.  I like this as a focus.  I feel like lots of people (myself included) could benefit from keeping this in the back of their mind.

Your charts and organization are impeccable.   I bow to your skills :) 

It looks like you're making a good start!  Happy challenge!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

Driving home from work last night it hit me. Found Family as a theme in Voyager comes up again and again. 

What are the NF Forums if not a found family?

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Driving home from work last night it hit me. Found Family as a theme in Voyager comes up again and again. 

What are the NF Forums if not a found family?

Well, of course. Hopefully one with fewer Kazon attacks and awkward romantic episodes. (Unless you want to count me and @Mr_Willes exchanging suggestive gifs periodically. Yo, Willes, you're now required to be my devoted second in command with a secret fondness for taking orders from a woman.)

• Like 2

The Kazon are the spammers.

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The Kazon are the spammers.

They want our technology. :(

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Yo, Willes, you're now required to be my devoted second in command with a secret fondness for taking orders from a woman.

What do you mean, now and secret?

Leash GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

... a little odd in the head ...