Continuing the Critical Role theme from last challenge since that still appears to be my current fixation. (Still no spoilers, I'm slowly working my way through Vox Machina. Currently in the 70's episode-wise).

Previous Challenge:

Spoiler

Planning to build a little bit of the D&D mechanics into this challenge. But while I get that figured out, here are my goals.

tumblr_o7ejdvRhAV1vrhcr7o3_540.gifv

1) Alcohol Reduction - Knew I let this go a bit haywire over the craziness of the past year. But was passively tracking last month and did not like the numbers I am consistently putting up from day to day.

Strategy: Swapping alcohol with water, homebrewed tea (hot or iced), and/or seltzer. No alcohol while while using computer or tablet.

Grade is focusing on strictly Monday-Thursday:

• Excellent - 0 alcoholic drinks
  • Good - 1 alcoholic drink
  • Average - 2 alcoholic drinks
  • Poor - 3+ alcoholic drinks

2) 5K Training Plan - I signed up for a virtual half marathon to give myself a training goal, since I seem to be more consistently active when i have one. (The race does currently have an in person option, but not sure how comfortable I am with that yet so virtual it is....)

Strategy:  Set my workout schedule for the week each Sunday. Ideally Mon & Wed before work & Sat before noon, but leaving it open to change as needed based on work schedule. If weather is poor, can swap running with stationary bike / yoga / bodyweight routine.

• Excellent - Adhere to schedule for the 3 training sessions/week
  • Good - 3 training sessions/week but not according to schedule.
  • Average - Do some training. Any training.
  • Poor - No training done.

3) Maintain - Didn't have an idea for an additional new thing. And the 2 above are likely to sap my willpower. So goal #3 is just to maintain good things from last challenge.

Strategy: Measure the things. But these don't impact "grade" for the challenge. #1 and #2 are priorities this time around

• Meal Planning (why: save money, eat better things)
  • Sleep Tracking (why: have energy to wake up for morning workouts)
  • 2x daily Dog Walks (why: because my dog is awesome and he deserves the best things)

tumblr_o7ejdvRhAV1vrhcr7o2_540.gifv

In other news I have a birthday coming up this challenge. One of those big ones where suddenly your age ends in "0". So yeah, that's a thing (and I took time off so the goals may flex around that day depending on plans).

• Like 1

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

4 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Nailed the Critical Role Quote, i have been stuck just a few episodes further. There is just so much content available that i want to watch now. Anywho

Goals look similar to mine.

Hbo 6x03 ser arthur dayne GIF on GIFER - by Dugor

Thanks! Yeah Critical Role has so much content it can be hard to pick what to watch - especially if an episode is dragging a bit.  Their “Narrative Telephone” videos are hilarious if you have not experienced them yet. I save that backlog for when I’m having a rough day and need to laugh myself silly. 

Good luck on your goals as well and thanks for stopping in!

this is going to be dungeons and dragons GIF by Alpha

• Like 1

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

Hi! I'm Mezzo, fellow Critter and 5k runner. 😊 

I discovered  Critical Role shortly after the pandemic started and have been binging ever since. I'm a little ahead of you on Vox Machina (95 ish) but have really enjoyed it so far. I like Mighty Nein more, but it's all good times. My husband (Bard) and I are watching EXU together and I'm hoping he'll join me for their eventual Campaign 3.

You've got great goals here! I'm always in favor of solid maintenance/tracking. 

PS. I love your Qui-Gon Jinn quote. He's my favorite Jedi. :D

• Like 1

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

EPIC Quest

I love me some Critical Role as well.  I got part way through season one before major unintentional spoilers happened and it took some of the fun out, so I just skipped to campaign 2, and it's pretty glorious.  Good luck with your challenge!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

5 hours ago, MezzotheLefty said:

Hi! I'm Mezzo, fellow Critter and 5k runner. 😊 

I discovered  Critical Role shortly after the pandemic started and have been binging ever since. I'm a little ahead of you on Vox Machina (95 ish) but have really enjoyed it so far. I like Mighty Nein more, but it's all good times. My husband (Bard) and I are watching EXU together and I'm hoping he'll join me for their eventual Campaign 3.

You've got great goals here! I'm always in favor of solid maintenance/tracking. 

PS. I love your Qui-Gon Jinn quote. He's my favorite Jedi. :D

Hello! And thanks for stopping by ~

Critical Role was definitely a good pandemic show -- I think Knitting and CritRole will now forever be intertwined in my brain. Have not yet gotten to Mighty Nein, so once C3 comes out I'll have to decide whether to start right away or try to blast through M9 first.....

Yes Qui-Gon is great. And his quote really sums up what I've found successful in challenge attempts so far.... well between focus and making incremental, small realistic changes. But yeah let's go with focus :D

star wars jedi GIF

4 hours ago, Novaurora said:

I love me some Critical Role as well.  I got part way through season one before major unintentional spoilers happened and it took some of the fun out, so I just skipped to campaign 2, and it's pretty glorious.  Good luck with your challenge!

Yeah I've hit a few spoilers, unfortunate but it has been out for a while.... and I really should know better than to google stories I have not finished. But I just really love the characters - each in their own way - and now that I'm past the half-way part I might as well finish it right?

Have heard good things about M9 group though and am really excited to get to their story. Eventually....

Thanks for stopping in!

dungeons and dragons sam GIF by Alpha

4 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

M9 group

I clicked more quickly with this party, but I think it had a lot to do with the fact that I got to see it from the beginning, and not from the middle. But there are tons of people who swear that C1 is better than C2, so who knows.  I'm glad you're enjoying it.

• Like 1

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

Hello! Lovely challenge. I'm struggling a bit with letting my alcohol consumption get a bit higher than I'd like too. Lately we've had some really crappy beer left over from a block party and I'm... drinking it anyway? Even though it tastes gross? Would much rather spend the calories on good beer, yet here we are. Following along for willpower inspo!

I've actually never seen Crit Role though I've heard soooo many good things about it! I love The Adventure Zone podcast, but just getting through one arc of that was so time consuming. I can't imagine getting through the CR backlog! 😵

• Like 1

Level 10 Ravenclaw Adventurer

STR 19.25 | DEX 12 | STA 22.75 | CON 38 | WIS 21 | CHA 14.75
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
PREVIOUS CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 CURRENT: 12

On 7/29/2021 at 9:58 AM, athousandwords said:

Hello! Lovely challenge. I'm struggling a bit with letting my alcohol consumption get a bit higher than I'd like too. Lately we've had some really crappy beer left over from a block party and I'm... drinking it anyway? Even though it tastes gross? Would much rather spend the calories on good beer, yet here we are. Following along for willpower inspo!

I've actually never seen Crit Role though I've heard soooo many good things about it! I love The Adventure Zone podcast, but just getting through one arc of that was so time consuming. I can't imagine getting through the CR backlog! 😵

Thanks for stopping in :)

Yes - the alcohol goal is absolute #1 priority for me this challenge and I'm going to approach it as a "boss battle" because I really do want to be successful. Will try to share any learnings I have as I go along hahaha

I love it, but it is quite a commitment to watch with each episode being 3-4 hour long. Knitting and Critical Role are soon to be forever intertwined in my brain lol.

I think Campaign 2 has some shorter recap videos that make the story more approachable? I've tried listening to the episodes as podcasts while commuting, walking, etc but I personally really miss the engagement of seeing the group be silly/serious on video -- so now I really only use it if I hit a cliffhangar (and need to pretend to be productive while also continuing with the story 😆).

• Like 1

WEEK ONE:

Rebel Pilot Gar landed her X-Wing on a remote and as-of-yet uncharted planet in the Outer Rim. She hopped out of the fighter with her trusty astromech droid J4-M0 dropping down as well. After some time circling the planet, Gar found a lake with a clearing just large enough for her to land the X-Wing. Recently  scouting for any signs of the Empire's tyranny in the depths of the outer rim, Gar was directed by her superiors to check a strange signal coming from a small planet just on the edge of where the Outer Rim transitions to the even less mapped Wild Space.

After securing and covering the X-Wing with camouflage netting, Gar checks that her trusty vibroblade and blaster are on her belt before heading into the forest. J4-M0's scanner soon locates the strange signal, and together pilot and droid head in that direction.

PLAN WEEK ONE:

• Stay aware of your surroundings: 2 or less alcoholic drinks Monday - Thursday
  • Scout ahead: Follow 5K training plan on Monday, Wednesday, Friday
    • Backup plan for weather/scheduling challenges - NF Yoga Water session or 30 mins stationary bike ride.

• Like 1

Checking in on folks and tagging them today so I can follow tomorrow!  (The  follow button keeps not working.)   Loving the continued CR themes!

• Like 1

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

12 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Checking in on folks and tagging them today so I can follow tomorrow!  (The  follow button keeps not working.)   Loving the continued CR themes!

Glad to have you along!

Week 1 Day 1 :

• Run completed (before work even!)
    • Not sure yet if I like the training program I picked. Seems to be ramping up too quickly for me and I haven’t found a way to adjust the settings yet in my fitness watches “programmed training plan”. I’ll give it the rest of this week before i decide whether to choose another C25K style plan.
  • Alcohol - on track (2 beers)

The one I used way back when was .... um, oh found it!

https://www.active.com/mobile/couch-to-5k-app

It was simple, and you could pick your 'trainer'.  I had the zombie guy, he cracked me up lol.    I had never ever run in my life save for 50yd or 100m sprints in junior high.   I used this app and got up to running my first 5k with it. :)   I didn't feel like it advanced the intervals too fast or extremely for me, but as with all things, ymmv. 

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

On 8/1/2021 at 4:44 PM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Rebel Pilot Gar landed her X-Wing on a remote and as-of-yet uncharted planet in the Outer Rim. She hopped out of the fighter with her trusty astromech droid J4-M0 dropping down as well. After some time circling the planet, Gar found a lake with a clearing just large enough for her to land the X-Wing. Recently  scouting for any signs of the Empire's tyranny in the depths of the outer rim, Gar was directed by her superiors to check a strange signal coming from a small planet just on the edge of where the Outer Rim transitions to the even less mapped Wild Space.

After securing and covering the X-Wing with camouflage netting, Gar checks that her trusty vibroblade and blaster are on her belt before heading into the forest. J4-M0's scanner soon locates the strange signal, and together pilot and droid head in that direction.

Ahhhh I love the RP!! So fun!

On 8/3/2021 at 7:51 AM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Not sure yet if I like the training program I picked. Seems to be ramping up too quickly for me and I haven’t found a way to adjust the settings yet in my fitness watches “programmed training plan”. I’ll give it the rest of this week before i decide whether to choose another C25K style plan.

I'm doing this C25k podcast by Chubby Jones and really like it! She's recorded multiple versions of each week, so I can listen to a new one each day during the week and not get bored. I'm on week 5, which is the only week that I feel ramps up kind of quickly, but I'm slowing it down by doing a full week for each "day." 

On 8/3/2021 at 8:47 AM, Starpuck said:

The one I used way back when was .... um, oh found it!

https://www.active.com/mobile/couch-to-5k-app

It was simple, and you could pick your 'trainer'.  I had the zombie guy, he cracked me up lol.    I had never ever run in my life save for 50yd or 100m sprints in junior high.   I used this app and got up to running my first 5k with it. :)   I didn't feel like it advanced the intervals too fast or extremely for me, but as with all things, ymmv. 

Thanks! I’ll take a look . I think I’ve downloaded that app in the past but cannot remember how far I got in the training plan.

in other news I’m finally getting around to playing the Mass Effect trilogy...... I am obsessed lol. Can’t believe it took me this long to get around to playing them 😆

16 hours ago, athousandwords said:

Ahhhh I love the RP!! So fun!

I'm doing this C25k podcast by Chubby Jones and really like it! She's recorded multiple versions of each week, so I can listen to a new one each day during the week and not get bored. I'm on week 5, which is the only week that I feel ramps up kind of quickly, but I'm slowing it down by doing a full week for each "day." 

Nice! I’ll have to check it out. Never thought of looking for a podcast-style c25k  training plan

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 6:29 AM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

in other news I’m finally getting around to playing the Mass Effect trilogy...... I am obsessed lol.

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite post on the internet.  

OMG YUS!   Seriously, I have never spent as much money on game swag, as I have for Mass Effect stuff.  It is SUCH a good series!!!

Makes me want to load up the legendary edition and give it anther play through with you!

• Like 1

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

On 8/6/2021 at 12:08 PM, Starpuck said:

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite post on the internet.  

OMG YUS!   Seriously, I have never spent as much money on game swag, as I have for Mass Effect stuff.  It is SUCH a good series!!!

Makes me want to load up the legendary edition and give it anther play through with you!

I tried really really hard to roll a renegade Shepard at first but my inner paragon said NOPE. Lol I guess that’s what replays are for. Still working through game 1 and my side quest obsession. 

• Like 1

Alright well... first sorry for the absence in posting. Honestly I haven’t been doing too good with my goals either. Work just exploded with project nonsense and I’ve been pulling crazy hours. Thinking I need to turn down the dial on my workout goal. The weather (oppressively hot & humid) doesn’t really help either. 

Going to do some thinking this weekend at how to adjust goals for the rest of this challenge.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

The weather (oppressively hot & humid) doesn’t really help either. 

This has been us all week.   Today is our first break from it.   Heat indexes of 108 and then violent afternoon / evening storms.    The first of which was spewing tornadoes.  Every day I kept getting more tired and bleh, and I was like 'omg, I am depressed'... then I stopped and said, 'wait, the weather is kicking my ass this week, roll with it'.

Hope you get the break from it too soon.   Don't worry if goals aren't met, maybe just do something like 'did a little toward', instead of 'completed the target goal' while work and weather is so brutal.

• Like 1

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

19 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Alright well... first sorry for the absence in posting. Honestly I haven’t been doing too good with my goals either. Work just exploded with project nonsense and I’ve been pulling crazy hours. Thinking I need to turn down the dial on my workout goal. The weather (oppressively hot & humid) doesn’t really help either. 

Going to do some thinking this weekend at how to adjust goals for the rest of this challenge.

Heat is killer. 🥵I've been dealing with it too. 

No shame in re thinking the challenge to fit your needs. You are planning at dawn after all! ;)

• Like 1

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

EPIC Quest

@Starpuck @MezzotheLefty

thank you both for the support! It is amazing how the heat can sap strength and willpower ( also our ac window units are rebelling against the heat so that does not help!)

My plan/ challenge adjustment is:

1) drink all of the water

water is good. The more H2O I drink, the less other nonsense. So let’s get back to tracking that 

2) 10 mins exercise 3x weekly 

rather than following any sort of training plan, just want to do something (yoga, bike, run). And 10 min is approachable enough even on crazy days. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

My plan/ challenge adjustment is:

1) drink all of the water

water is good. The more H2O I drink, the less other nonsense. So let’s get back to tracking that 

2) 10 mins exercise 3x weekly 

rather than following any sort of training plan, just want to do something (yoga, bike, run). And 10 min is approachable enough even on crazy days. 

These are great adjustments!!!  I hope this week goes well!

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 11:59 PM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

It is amazing how the heat can sap strength and willpower ( also our ac window units are rebelling against the heat so that does not help!)

Oh noo I'd be a total wimp without AC!! Good on you for recognizing that you needed to roll with the punches, and making a plan to get through the killer heat and work projects. I think your new goals sound great!

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 7:39 PM, Novaurora said:

These are great adjustments!!!  I hope this week goes well!

Thanks! It's going well so far. Adjusting the challenge definitely helps me keep a good mindset.

On 8/16/2021 at 8:23 PM, athousandwords said:

Oh noo I'd be a total wimp without AC!! Good on you for recognizing that you needed to roll with the punches, and making a plan to get through the killer heat and work projects. I think your new goals sound great!

Luckily this week has been a bit cooler so the AC's are having an easier time. Definitely glad I adjusted - work has been insane...  my projects had their deadlines pulled up randomly. So adjusting the dial really helps me keep mentally in the game.

• Like 1