Salinger's forty second challenge!

Fell back to sleep around 4am.... woke at 7am. So pretty tired from fractured sleep. Also very nauseous again today and stomach issues :( in pain. 

Its 9.30am now, sun is out can you believe?!

Todays tasks:

- Take medication 

- Put washing on then out to dry

- Finish funding application and SUBMIT

- Keep on top of emails

- Clean kitchen

- Water the plants in garden

- Bring the bins in

- Tidy front room

- Get frame from studio for Rox

- Get timber cut for frame

- Have a bath

Main thing is the application to do. But i also have a few chores!! House is getting a bit messy so need to keep on top of it. 

Hoping once this is sent, that a weight will leave my shoulders... xx

• Like 2

Hi friend, hope you are doing ok, I am sorry to read that money is so tight :( loopholes where you get technically less by being together is so painful!

I will say that while your art might not be everyone’s style to hang in their house, I can totally picture it in quirky cafe/pubs, so worth posting them all up on Etsy. You definitely won’t sell them if they aren’t posted!

Do you have any recurring income from Etsy? Like selling prints/downloads of your work? For example, I would totally pay $5 to download a cute bird like the one on the feet to have as a phone background, or print as a card for my quirky friend or the such. Having something like that where you do the work once (painting it, loading it into Etsy), then you may have recurring income coming in from it.

Lastly, I’m not sure what the UK version is, but here we have an app called “Airtasker” where people post jobs they need done and the price they’d be happy to pay, then taskers make bids then one person goes and does it. I mention it because one of the jobs I saw on it was literally paying someone $200 to un-stretch some paintings, take them off their canvases for storage. You could potentially offer to sell your skills to others who would like to paying but don’t have enough time to stretch their own canvas. You have a network, think of ways you can leverage that (in a non icky way, what do they need done that you don’t mind doing?). I encourage earning more rather than budgeting harder because I know at some stage there is only so much to be trimmed and it is important to live somewhere that isn’t a shithole.

Anyways, yes, good to see you, sorry to come in and ramble 😂 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Salinger said:

SUBMITTED

Yes!!!! Go you badass!!!

Happy Cheering GIF by bluesbear

• That's Metal 1
On 8/26/2021 at 12:12 PM, Yasha92 said:

Hi friend, hope you are doing ok, I am sorry to read that money is so tight :( loopholes where you get technically less by being together is so painful!

I will say that while your art might not be everyone’s style to hang in their house, I can totally picture it in quirky cafe/pubs, so worth posting them all up on Etsy. You definitely won’t sell them if they aren’t posted!

Do you have any recurring income from Etsy? Like selling prints/downloads of your work? For example, I would totally pay $5 to download a cute bird like the one on the feet to have as a phone background, or print as a card for my quirky friend or the such. Having something like that where you do the work once (painting it, loading it into Etsy), then you may have recurring income coming in from it.

Lastly, I’m not sure what the UK version is, but here we have an app called “Airtasker” where people post jobs they need done and the price they’d be happy to pay, then taskers make bids then one person goes and does it. I mention it because one of the jobs I saw on it was literally paying someone $200 to un-stretch some paintings, take them off their canvases for storage. You could potentially offer to sell your skills to others who would like to paying but don’t have enough time to stretch their own canvas. You have a network, think of ways you can leverage that (in a non icky way, what do they need done that you don’t mind doing?). I encourage earning more rather than budgeting harder because I know at some stage there is only so much to be trimmed and it is important to live somewhere that isn’t a shithole.

Anyways, yes, good to see you, sorry to come in and ramble 😂 

Hey Yasha, so good to see you!!!!

No, i dont get regular income from Etsy :( im really not great at promoting stuff so never able to build up a base of supporters. 

Good idea, will take a look. Thanks for your advice ❤️ xx

On 8/26/2021 at 4:19 PM, Maggie-Miau said:

*sends hugs and tea* good for you submitting the application! And yay for the sun being out!

Thank you Mia ❤️ xx

On 8/27/2021 at 7:20 AM, Harriet said:

Well done! *small submission completion dance*

*bops head* 

:D

xx

21 hours ago, TiogaGirl said:

Awesome about submitting that sucker! Fingers crossed!! (Not an artist here but scientists are always having to submit grants too, and it is SUCH A RELIEF to click submit.) Hope you celebrated by doing something nice for yourself and/or your girl!

HEY! Thank you so much! Yes we have had a nice couple of days relaxing :) xx

Hey all. Saturday, 9am! Sun is out :o 

Last night me and Rox had a few drinks and wind down chill out. Was really nice and we got home early, made out a lot :P  and listened to records. Perfect. 

Rox is still in bed, but i was restless so got up to drink tea. 

LOADS of footy on today to watch. Three big games !! I am going to watch them and try not to feel guilty about not doing work....

Already thinking of the things i didnt do or write on that application. Bit stressful, but there is nothing i can do now except wait. 

I have another smaller grant to apply for (10k) so next week, I will get onto that. 

Oh house news. - I called the current housing association who overlook our property...they said we are contracted till April 2022.... eeek . I explained the situation and they said they will speak to the manager about it. And get back to me. 

So we may not even be able to move. Will hear back next week I am hoping. 

xx

• Like 1

Money wall of text incoming 😛

Lots of places are being a bit more flexible coz covid. I asked for a small reduction on our rent and got it ($10/week), so it’s worth asking if that’s an option.

The two things I’ve found most effective when money is tight are:

1. Reduce current expenses.

This can be by budgeting, or by trying to get a discount on regular expenses (rent reduction, only buying cat food when it is 40% off and buying two bags then to last us until the next sale, same with Mr’s special expensive shampoo- we only buy it on sale, I mix a little bit of water in that and to the dish washing liquid so it squirts  easier and lasts longer, I changed chemists for our daily medication and now instead of $30/script they are $12/script which makes a big difference over a year, I refer people to services that I enjoy like my power company or my subscription loo roll and get referral bonuses). It can be important to think outside the box here and go for the heavy hitters first: rent, power, car insurance, while still keeping an eye out for small savings: asking for a better deal, pausing subscriptions while you don’t use them etc. also if you have a lot of food waste like we used to being more strict at the grocery and only buying stuff we would actually eat in portion sizes that made sense for a household of two really helped.

2. Make more money to close the gap.

You will have a pretty precise number here: it is the difference between the rent you are currently paying, and the rent of  the shitboxes you’re currently looking at. For argument sake I’m going to guess £100/week, could be more or less (especially if your rental is negotiable about the current rent!) so then you brainstorm ways to make that extra £100/week:

- if reasonable, Rox to ask for a raise at both her jobs =£?

- walk two neighbours dogs, twice a week at £10/walk =£40

- tutor someone on hire for how to stretch a canvas =£20

- remind any clients who still have outstanding balances, or people who have IOUs with you =£?,( but really a one off, not recurring)

- load up some small downloadables to Etsy, and print a QR code to your site, every time someone compliments your art style offer then the QR code to buy a print/postcard/etc of your work =£5

- rake a neighbour’s leaves =£10

- Airtasker odd jobs =£15

with this it is important to value your time, and to not burn yourself out, it can be tempting to take every little job on offer because every dollar is needed, but that way lies madness. I try not to take tasks that pay less than my hourly rate at work, because my time is valuable (yours is too!), because your work is different in terms of ‘hourly’ pay, figure out what feels comfortable, then add a little buffer of $5-10.

• Like 2

I think I congratulated you in insta for submitting didn i? If not then have some belated congratulations now. Hope your BH weekend is going well. 

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

On 8/28/2021 at 9:59 PM, Yasha92 said:

Money wall of text incoming 😛

Thank you Yasha.... really good info and advice ❤️ 

Im waiting to hear from landlord... hoping i hear back tomorrow maybe. Its bank holiday here today so nothing will come in today xx

18 hours ago, 18ck said:

I think I congratulated you in insta for submitting didn i? If not then have some belated congratulations now. Hope your BH weekend is going well. 

Thanks a lot mate ❤️ 

Yes its been ok thanks, hope yours is good also xx

Hey all. almost midday, bank holiday monday! Its quite cold out, drizzly rain and cloudy. 

Rox is sleeping next to me right now on the sofa, and I am working. I need to get another funding application submitted. Its a research app, for around 14k....so kind of little compared to that big one i sent last week ahaha

It is the one that was rejected last month, I am re-working it to re-submit. 

Maybe thats stupid? Maybe i should just give up? But there is also part of me thats determined to keep fucking trying...

Ive contacted another org who works with mental illness in art, hoping we can collaborate on part of this project, and if so ill get letters of support from them etc which will be important. 

I will make a cup of tea soon. And im pretty hungry so will find something to eat !  Maybe bacon and eggs mmmmmmm

Just trying to take it easy tbh, feel quite stressed as i always do lately. Trying to enjoy the little things and not overthink everything. xx

• Like 4

Tweaking and resubmitting sounds super sensible to me, you already did all the work of finding one you would be eligible for, and if I recall correctly you thought of some things you wished you had edited right after you submitted it last time, now  you have a head start on everyone who is submitting their first draft. Cuppa sounds lovely, I think I’ll put the kettle on myself.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Salinger said:

It is the one that was rejected last month, I am re-working it to re-submit. 

Maybe thats stupid? Maybe i should just give up? But there is also part of me thats determined to keep fucking trying...

Not stupid. There are two ways to succeed: a higher rate of success on your applications, or a higher number of applications. The former is *mostly* out of your control (you can make the application as high quality as you can manage, but in the end it's down to the whims of other people), but the latter is fully within your control. Apply thirteen times to different things. This is also what I press Mr Harriet to do with his articles. Successful academics don't spend months taking a draft from 97% perfect to 99% perfect--they apply and apply again without delay. That's my common sense assumption, anyway.

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 8/30/2021 at 12:09 PM, Yasha92 said:

Tweaking and resubmitting sounds super sensible to me, you already did all the work of finding one you would be eligible for, and if I recall correctly you thought of some things you wished you had edited right after you submitted it last time, now  you have a head start on everyone who is submitting their first draft. Cuppa sounds lovely, I think I’ll put the kettle on myself.

Thanks Yasha....did you make a tea? :) xx

On 8/30/2021 at 12:35 PM, Harriet said:

Not stupid. There are two ways to succeed: a higher rate of success on your applications, or a higher number of applications. The former is *mostly* out of your control (you can make the application as high quality as you can manage, but in the end it's down to the whims of other people), but the latter is fully within your control. Apply thirteen times to different things. This is also what I press Mr Harriet to do with his articles. Successful academics don't spend months taking a draft from 97% perfect to 99% perfect--they apply and apply again without delay. That's my common sense assumption, anyway.

Totally right and great thoughts ... never saw it like that, thanks!!! xx

On 8/30/2021 at 5:53 PM, fearless 2.0 said:

agree with the others. Not stupid at all! YAY for grit and endurance, girl! Have a nice chill evening! ❤️

Aww thank you FL ❤️ love to you xx

On 8/31/2021 at 2:50 AM, Snarkyfishguts said:

Yesssssssss do you sometimes find yourself overthinking trying not to overthink? 

hahahahh, yep, i do :P xx

Hello all. 11.11 am (make a wish!!)

COLD today brrrrrr and cloudy. 

Been a busy morning. Dropped Rox at work, came home, had some emails to attend to. 

Then got a call from the property manager of this house. Its a new estate, and the property org deals with everything, for the landlords. 

Ive emailed a bit ago about the current situation, loss of earnings through postponed projects due to Covid etc. 

How we are going to really struggle to pay full rent amount starting in October....

Anyway, he was so so nice and supportive. Ive just emailed the collections department a plan to see if its accepted by them/the landlord. 

Basically, paying less rent (of course meaning we will be in arrears) but once i get a lump sum of money in, being able to pay off that debt. 

We are contracted to be here till April - i WILL have had a grant through by then....(if not then i fully fucking give up with the art game!!! 😮

I feel like a weights been lifted. 

We are still extremely close to having nothing left at end of the month, with bills / living costs.  But this makes it much easier to manage. 

Crossing fingers its accepted anyway....

Apart from that, Rox is struggling with sleep right now, prob stress... shes a light sleeper and i snore :(

Has anyone had experience with melatonin supplements? I researched and that kept cropping up....

I also found my old FitBit, and suggested she wear it and see how much she is light/deep sleep. If we track this, and the use of herbal supplements to see if it works or not. etc. 

Today, need to put washing on and out to dry, water plants, sort out project proposal, make a chicken curry...

xx

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Has anyone had experience with melatonin supplements? I researched and that kept cropping up....

Yeah, they're useful for jetlag. Melatonin is one of the hormones that tells your body/brain what time of day it is and when to sleep. It's hard to tell if melatonin helped me (since my sleep is so variable) but they didn't do any harm and I think they're generally quite safe to try. I don't think they will help if Roxy isn't short on melatonin, though. What did dramatically help me was earplugs. I am a very slight sleeper (I startle and become alert at very little auditory provocation) and they helped me get and stay sleepy/calm.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

Well done! That’s a hard conversation to have and I’m proud of you ❤️ Sorry to hear Rox isn’t sleeping so well, I have never tried melatonin, but I do find magnesium to help (has a bit of a laxative effect though, so be warned!), plus the usual things like trying to make the room dark and quiet (a bit tricky for us living next to a main road!), turning off the blue light on screens after 8pm and meditation of some kind. I haven’t been able to meditate lately due to a really racy mind (not the hot kind), so I have been listening to an audio book called “the secret life of trees”, it is interesting enough my mind stays on topic, but not so thrilling that I stay awake to listen- I usually last about 8mins before I am gone 😂 

Best Lady sleeps with headphones playing white noise, perhaps that would be useful for Rox to try, or the spongy earplugs, if you suspect it is snoring related.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Yeah, they're useful for jetlag. Melatonin is one of the hormones that tells your body/brain what time of day it is and when to sleep. It's hard to tell if melatonin helped me (since my sleep is so variable) but they didn't do any harm and I think they're generally quite safe to try. I don't think they will help if Roxy isn't short on melatonin, though. What did dramatically help me was earplugs. I am a very slight sleeper (I startle and become alert at very little auditory provocation) and they helped me get and stay sleepy/calm.

Thanks Harriet! 

I am going to look for some herbal stuff like Kalms (which has Valerian Root in it) 

She ordered some earplugs today which will arrive later this eve, hoping they help!!!! xx

9 minutes ago, Yasha92 said:

Well done! That’s a hard conversation to have and I’m proud of you ❤️ Sorry to hear Rox isn’t sleeping so well, I have never tried melatonin, but I do find magnesium to help (has a bit of a laxative effect though, so be warned!), plus the usual things like trying to make the room dark and quiet (a bit tricky for us living next to a main road!), turning off the blue light on screens after 8pm and meditation of some kind. I haven’t been able to meditate lately due to a really racy mind (not the hot kind), so I have been listening to an audio book called “the secret life of trees”, it is interesting enough my mind stays on topic, but not so thrilling that I stay awake to listen- I usually last about 8mins before I am gone 😂 

Best Lady sleeps with headphones playing white noise, perhaps that would be useful for Rox to try, or the spongy earplugs, if you suspect it is snoring related.

Thanks so much Yasha ❤️ 

Will look at magnesium thank you. Yes she needs to put phone down before bed, and we are going to start meditating. 

Like i said to Harriet, she has some earplugs coming today so hopefully it helps :) xx

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Thanks Harriet! 

I am going to look for some herbal stuff like Kalms (which has Valerian Root in it) 

She ordered some earplugs today which will arrive later this eve, hoping they help!!!! xx

No worries. Maybe just read up on other ingredients, side effects, and how long it's good to take for. Many of these sleep things are not meant to be taken long term, and the more ingredients a mix has the more careful I would be.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

No worries. Maybe just read up on other ingredients, side effects, and how long it's good to take for. Many of these sleep things are not meant to be taken long term, and the more ingredients a mix has the more careful I would be.

Seconded, also check with the chemist if they can be taken in conjunction with any meds she is taking, I know anything with St. John’s Wart will interact with Mr.’s antidepressants so we have to be super careful with supplements etc

chamomile tea is pretty much always a go though (I did know someone who got hay fever from it, but other than that never heard anything bad about it), so perhaps that 

also, while money is tight, maybe start with the free stuff (switching phone to ‘night mode’, doing a bedtime yoga/meditation, shutting the blinds…) to see if that helps before throwing money at the problem

• Like 1

Looks like you fell into the void, same as me… everything ok?

On 9/3/2021 at 9:43 PM, Maggie-Miau said:

I took melatonin to help me get used to the hours at Lear. I found that while it didn't help me get More sleep, it seemed to improve the overall quality. I would feel that i'd gotten more rest in less time ❤️

Thank you Mia ❤️ 

8 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

Looks like you fell into the void, same as me… everything ok?

Hey things are fine Yasha my friend, thanks for checking in. 

Got way too drunk on Friday night, yesterday was a write off due to being hungover, Rox was at a day festival so i mainly slept all day and felt sorry for myself. 

Picked her up at midnight, then we went to bed. Both slept well! 

I just got up (8am) and took her a cup of tea in bed ❤️ i decided to stay  up, downstairs. 

Today will be tidying, sorting my weekly plan, doing some work, relaxing, watching football...!

Oh and new challenge will be up, i think xx

• Like 2