Spoiler

Kept for posterity, because I massively edited the post.  This is just historical.  The real challenge is not in this spoiler.

Last challenge was about accepting where I am, and getting used to challenge structure again.  This challenge will be about the kinds of things that make me choose the Assassins as my guild.  I love to move.  I love to play.  I am more likely to lift my body than to lift weights, and I am more likely to climb on something than to do whatever I am supposed to with it.  So, without further ado:

Crow Pose

In week 0, I intend to measure how long I can hold a basic crow pose for time.  At the end of week 5, I intend to measure it again.  Any amount of progress will be considered a win.

Weekly, I intend to perform and record [something] as work on crow pose between 3 and 7 days a week.  [Something] may include, but may not be limited to, accumulate time in hold, reps of head to toe alternating touches, or movements from and back into crow pose, like crow to headstand and back, etc.  Any week with at least 3 days of [something] will be considered a win.

* I have to respect my body and mind are often compromised and can be so for weeks at a time.  A week in which I attest that I have been physically or mentally not up to the task of completing 3 days in a week will be considered a win as well.  A week in which depression prevents me from performing activities will not be considered a win.  I need to learn to perform through depression.

This is my balance goal.

Turkish Get-ups

I intend to perform and record at least one round of turkish get-ups with my 16 kg kettlebell at least three days per week.  I will adjust reps, rounds, and frequency as I go.  Performing more rounds and reps per round in week five than in week one will be considered a win.  Each week, performing at least one round on at least three days will be considered a win.

* Same caveat with regards to respecting mind and body, and with regards to depression.

This is my strength goal.

Weighted Juggling I

In week 0, I intend to measure for how many reps total I can juggle three weighted balls without dropping.  At the end of week 5, I intend to measure it again.  A gain of 100% will be considered a win.  (Yes, this seems huge, but prior experience suggests this goes up insanely quickly, and that quadrupling or even quintupling my starting number could be possible if I keep with this.)

Weekly, I intend to perform and record [something] between 3 and 7 days a week.  [Something] may include, but may not be limited to, juggle until X reps achieved without dropping, or any activity that qualifies for Weighted Juggling II.  Any week with at least 3 days of juggling will be considered a win.

A note on counting juggling: in order to make it easy to track, I count juggling as follows, a completed rep is a successful toss with the right hand and catch with the left hand.  There is some inconsistency as I sometimes start right and sometimes start left, but the point is convenience, not consistency.  In truth, if my first toss is with the left and catch is right, I count catches on the right, and vice versa, but I do not count both catches on the right and catches on the left in the same run.

* Yes, I must respect my mind and body, however, this is juggling, not lifting, and not dangerous movement.  The worst that can happen is I fall over, or I throw a ball in my face or drop one on my foot.  I have had every one of these happen already.  None resulted in even minor injury.  Mostly, just a giggle and keep going.  There are no excuses not to just do it.  However, if I attest that I have been so bad that I have been unable to stay comfortably standing for the week, the week will be considered a win regardless.

This is my coordination goal.

Weighted Juggling II

In week 0, I intend to measure for how many reps total I can juggle three weighted balls without resting before starting again.  At the end of week 5, I intend to measure it again.  Regardless of results, I intend to call this goal an overall win if I register a win in Weighted Juggling I, and I have wins in at least 3 weeks of Weighted Juggling II.  Weekly, I intend to perform either juggle for accumulated successful tosses, or juggle for accumulated time spent juggling on at least 2 days.  Any week that I complete 2 days, and that I complete my weekly goal for Weighted Juggling I will count as a win for this goal.

* Note, this goal is experimental.  Juggling with weighted balls definitely cranks my heartrate, but I do not know yet if it is a good way to condition my body.  As I'm in really bad shape right now, and this is pretty low impact, it seems like a test worth doing.  The test is important in a does it work sense, but not so much in I expect these results.

This is my conditioning goal.  

Play

This is not a goal per say.  It is not required.  It is a space for me to do and record silly or fun things that I think you might enjoy seeing, or I might enjoy doing or enjoy failing at spectacularly.  It would be nice if there were something here every week, but if there isn't, no worries.

I am restructuring this for clarity, both mine and others.  I am also tweaking some goals to be more honest with myself about capacity.

Balance

Exercise: Crow Pose

Baseline: 6 seconds

Weekly: train and record 3 to 7 days per week

Weekly win: at least 3 days of training

Challenge win: any progress above baseline

Strength

Exercise: Turkish Get-ups 16 kg kettlebell

Baseline: 1 set of 1 rep performed 3 days per week

Weekly: train and record 3 to 4 days per week

Weekly win: at least 2 days of training

Challenge win: at least 3 weekly wins

Coordination

Exercise: Weighted Juggling 5 lb sand balls

Baseline: 11 continuous tosses without dropping

Weekly: train and record 3 to 7 days per week

Weekly win: at least 3 days of training

Challenge win: exceed 50 continuous tosses without dropping

Challenge party: exceed 100 continuous tosses without dropping

Conditioning

Exercise: Weighted Juggling 5 lb sand balls

Baseline: 22 accumulated successful tosses without rest

Weekly: train and record at least 2 days per week of accumulated total successful tosses, or juggling for time

Weekly win: at least 2 days of training

Challenge win: exceed 200 accumulated successful tosses without rest

Stretch goal: exceed 500 accumulated successful tosses in a single session (rest allowed)

Play

My space for whatever.  Not required, but may be fun for me to do, or fun for you to watch.

• Like 10

Milythael Assassin

Current Activity: Milythael Acts Like an Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler

Challenges: Intro, 123, 4567, 891011 12
PVPs: Demon Slaying, HOoRAY, Meditation,
 Poses, Juggling 30/30 Squat

Ooooh,, juggling ;)  Following for sure

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

I like how you've structured your goals into strength, balance and coordination. I also like that they all sound like fun things to do. I'll be following along.

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Play is good!

Moving from where you are is good!

I like this for you.

❣️

• Like 1

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 |

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Great goals! Crow pose, kettlebells and juggling = wins all around

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

19 hours ago, milythael said:

the kinds of things that make me choose the Assassins as my guild

This is my strength goal.

Proving, once again, that Assassin is just another kind of Warrior. ;) 

I like your juggling goal. :) 

• Haha 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

Weighted Juggling

Week 0 baseline: 11

Before testing, I let some air out of my three 4 pound sand balls.  They are now much easier to hold onto. 

I gave my test 4 attempts (after which I was breathing hard and starting to feel woozy).  I was not at my best today, but had a really hard time getting even 2 throws in a row, so the 11 will stand as my baseline.  I was expecting 15-25.  So much room for progress, but begin where you are.

I will get some time on video before this challenge is over, but today was not the day.

• Like 3

Milythael Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler

15 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Proving, once again, that Assassin is just another kind of Warrior. ;) 

My only problem with warriors is they tend to get overly excited when I climb on their equipment instead of using it as intended.  If an exercise is fun, of course I'll do it.  Turkish get-ups are one of my favorite kinds of play.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Milythael Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler

13 hours ago, milythael said:

My only problem with warriors is they tend to get overly excited when I climb on their equipment instead of using it as intended.  If an exercise is fun, of course I'll do it.  Turkish get-ups are one of my favorite kinds of play.

I got a LOT of strange looks last time I was at the gym for my unconventional use of the lat pulldown machine (different goals yo!)

• That's Metal 1

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

begin where you are.

#DruidApproved

• Like 1

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 |

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

On 7/25/2021 at 9:49 PM, milythael said:

Weighted Juggling

This is my coordination and conditioning goal.

I juggled again today.  I got a single run of 22 juggles, after which I was unable to complete even a single catch.  This has made me realize something.

Juggling is not my coordination and conditioning goal.  I will be adjusting my original post appropriately, but juggling is now my coordination goal and juggling is my conditioning goal.  Let me explain.

My coordination goal is to juggle X times in a row without dropping.  This goal will start at the baseline of 11 that I set yesterday.  Progress will be judged as before, but I am hoping to achieve at least 50 by the end of the challenge.  200% increase (33 total) will be considered an overall win. Yes, I got a 100% improvement in 1 day, but I guarantee that had I not juggled yesterday, I would not have gotten 22 today. Coordination tends to top out at conditioning if you are in poor shape.  Any days juggling count as days for this goal.  Juggling is juggling, and building coordination is about getting the balls in the air and catching them.

My conditioning goal is to juggle for X successful tosses total, regardless of the number of failed tosses or the time required to achieve the number, as long as all are completed in a single session without rest breaks.  This goal will start at a baseline of 22, the number I achieved today.  I wasn't tracking this yesterday, but I estimate this was close to what I managed yesterday as well.  I am really hoping to achieve 200 by the end of the challenge, but as long as I complete my coordination goal with a win, I will consider this a win as well.  At least 2 days per week will include juggling for total throws or for total time spent juggling, emphasis on endurance, not on quality.

Play

I tried a reverse nordic curl.  I'm not even in spectacular fail range.  Does anyone have any progressions they recommend for this?  I will be researching it on google.

I did some preliminary abdominal work.  I cannot complete straddle pike pulses with good form so I did a beginner version where you sit on the ground, lean the torso back (probably almost 45 degrees for me), support your weight with hands behind, bend one leg at 90 degrees, and pulse the other leg from the ground up to about 20 degrees.  I did 5 reps on each leg for two sets.

• Like 3

Milythael Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, milythael said:

Juggling is not my coordination and conditioning goal.  I will be adjusting my original post appropriately, but juggling is now my coordination goal and juggling is my conditioning goal. 

the matrix there is no spoon GIF

Brilliant use of juggling.

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

4 hours ago, milythael said:

reverse nordic curl

I'm not sure what you are referring to here.  Is it the one where you kneel on the ground and lower yourself backwards until your back touches (or hovers just above) the ground and then you lift yourself back up?

Level 2 Ninja

1 minute ago, WhiteGhost said:

I'm not sure what you are referring to here.  Is it the one where you kneel on the ground and lower yourself backwards until your back touches (or hovers just above) the ground and then you lift yourself back up?

Yes, that is it exactly.  And I can't even lower backwards 5 degrees.  And I feel extremely top heavy in the down position and can't budge at all off the ground.

Milythael Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler

For me I find that the angle of the knees and toes makes a big difference, have you tried playing around with different positions to maximize leverage?  One of the things I have seen people here doing is to climb on top of the monkey bars and lock their ankles into the bars to get a better grip, although I wouldn't necessarily recommend that until you can get to at least 45%

My suggestion would be to maybe try anchoring a resistance band to a stable object and using that to support yourself and you lower down.

@DoubleTrouble is also working on these, maybe he will come in and share some tips that have helped him.

Level 2 Ninja

Having been juggling for many years, I might have some unsolicited advice. Feel free to tell me to shut up or to ignore me 😜

Take care with weighted juggling balls, they are awesome for conditioning and I highly recommend it as a form of conditioning, but no more than half an hour a day as RSI with weighted balls is a real concern. You may already know that, but I feel obligated to say something. Also, I find doing regular balls after the weighted ones to be great for coordination. For me, I feel like tired muscles learn better.

I am currently working on juggling clubs. I can do it fairly consistently and so now I am trying to master crossing my hands every few throws. It keeps me humble to try something I can't do, but I also remember a year ago when I was trying to get back into club juggling and had a hard time stringing 5 throws together.

Best of luck and I can't wait to hear about your juggling successes!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

12 minutes ago, GoodDoug said:

Having been juggling for many years, I might have some unsolicited advice. Feel free to tell me to shut up or to ignore me 😜

Take care with weighted juggling balls, they are awesome for conditioning and I highly recommend it as a form of conditioning, but no more than half an hour a day as RSI with weighted balls is a real concern. You may already know that, but I feel obligated to say something. Also, I find doing regular balls after the weighted ones to be great for coordination. For me, I feel like tired muscles learn better.

I am currently working on juggling clubs. I can do it fairly consistently and so now I am trying to master crossing my hands every few throws. It keeps me humble to try something I can't do, but I also remember a year ago when I was trying to get back into club juggling and had a hard time stringing 5 throws together.

Best of luck and I can't wait to hear about your juggling successes!

I appreciate your advice.  RSI isn't something I had thought about yet, and isn't likely to be a problem for a while.  As I get back into shape though, I will keep the half hour a day thing in mind.

I absolutely agree that tired muscles learn better.  In fact, for future challenges, I think my coordination goal will be with unweighted balls and will be performed after conditioning.  This makes perfect sense and is an epic idea.  I know when I used to play volleyball that I progressed the most after I was so tired I could barely stand between points.  The skills you practice when you are this tired, as long as they are practiced well, become so natural compared to those you only practice fresh.  Thank you for this.

I haven't juggled clubs since 94 in Spain.  Good on you for keeping at it, and for staying with humbling new skills.

• Like 1

Milythael Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler

I have massively edited the main post for simplicity and clarity.  If you have feedback, please let me know.

Crow pose:  I completed my baseline.  I can hold 6 seconds.   There is video, but with my potato internet, it probably won't be up until tomorrow.

Juggling: revised weight, the balls are 5 lbs not 4 lbs.  There is also video.  Same caveat applies.  I got 33 continuous throws before I began gasping up a lung.

Goals have been revised with baseline numbers, and adjusted goal numbers based on progress so far.

• Like 4

Milythael Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler

4 hours ago, milythael said:

I have massively edited the main post for simplicity and clarity.  If you have feedback, please let me know.

Crow pose:  I completed my baseline.  I can hold 6 seconds.   There is video, but with my potato internet, it probably won't be up until tomorrow.

Juggling: revised weight, the balls are 5 lbs not 4 lbs.  There is also video.  Same caveat applies.  I got 33 continuous throws before I began gasping up a lung.

Goals have been revised with baseline numbers, and adjusted goal numbers based on progress so far.

I love the new set up! Hmmm, I haven't written my challenge, now you've given me a good idea for set up

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

6 hours ago, milythael said:

Crow Pose baseline video

Spoiler

WeightedJuggling video

Spoiler

• Like 2

Milythael Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I love the new set up! Hmmm, I haven't written my challenge, now you've given me a good idea for set up

Yay, I can be a help for one of my heros!

• Like 1

Milythael Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler

This morning I woke up and there was not a thought in my head.  For probably hours (I wasn't watching the clock, so I don't know), I lay there drifting, occasionally responding to something online, but like a pond after a small stone, the ripples faded and left nothing behind but smooth placid water.  At 8:30, I got a text from my mom asking if I needed a ride to appointments.  Oh, I have appointments.  Yep, probably need a ride.  And suddenly things began moving in my head again.

By 8:34, I was ready to go.  8:45, my aunt was ready to go.  9:00, my aunt and I were outside and my mom "checked on us" to see that we had what we needed.  We had planned to leave at 9:00.  My mom went back inside.  We left 15 to 20 minutes later.  This is one reason I plan an hour to drive less than 20 minutes for appointments.  Time just doesn't seem as critical to others as is does to me.

We get to the park.  Every picnic table in the park is empty.  There is a ranger doing some maintenance with a weedeater.  I move away from her.  She moves towards me.  I move further.  She moves towards me.  I wish this part were a joke.

I find a table.  The weedeater eventually moves past me before I have to start a call, then starts coming back, straight at me.  10 minutes until my first appointment.  I take a breath.  I relax.  She goes around and is far enough away not to bother me by the time my first appointment starts.

Yes, I've had a migraine every day for, let's see now, 8 days in a row.  Yes, I still have it.  But I am managing symptoms.  I think I'm doing good.  I've chosen a beautiful spot in an empty park, and friends, everyone should have appointments that look like this.

Spoiler

20210730_094623.jpg

I finish my first group, grab some drinks from the car, listen to a song OMFG that music is so loud.  Did I mention migraine?  One of my migraine symptoms is sound sensitivity.  This was the first clue things were getting worse.

I turn down the music.  Listen to one song.  Dial in to my group.  I'm on a roll.  I'm doing so well.

Cue the strangers with their dogs moving in for a picnic.  Every picnic table in the park is empty except the one where I am sitting, so they park right next to me.  I consider moving, but I'm already in group, so I don't.

Cue the little boy trundling along behind me at loud volume, followed 30 seconds later by adults I assume were supposed to be with same boy.  By now, every sound is pulling my attention.  The people playing ball in the sun 75 feet away.  The picnic 10 feet from me.  The unusually noisy crow that squawks by.  Vehicles in the parking lot.

And then it happens.  I don't know what sound set it off, but it was one sound to many from an unanticipated direction and I lost it.  Full PTSD triggered panic attack.  I try to bow out of group gracefully.  I try to walk to the car not run.  I am confused by the car that is not where it was when I got water and momentarily frozen.  I find the car in a new location.  I continue to try to walk, not run.  I get to the door of the car, and the sound of my mom and aunt just talking in the car is enough to freeze me in my tracks.  I can't even move until they stop speaking and look at me to see what is going on.  I mumble that I'm having a panic attack and need to go.  I don't remember much after that. 

I think my mom gave me ear plugs.  They helped. I made it home.  The rest of the day has been about managing aftermath.  No juggling or play.  I haven't managed to do any real packing for the trip Sunday.  I did spend 90 minutes in a very cold bath.  I did manage to eat twice today.  And today, that is a win.

Today is about learning, accepting, and being where I am.  There are things I could do better.  I could prioritize symptom management over view in table selection.  I could recognize symptom escalation earlier.  If I think I could move, then move, etc.  But mostly, I was doing well, and then I wasn't, and that is fine.  This is where I am right now.  Nothing went catastrophically wrong.  This is a win. A little discomfort isn't the end of the world.

• Like 7

Milythael Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler

You did well. You handled stuff as it came up. There was nothing that was a "take the exit off the PTSD highway now" sign.

I wouldn't feel embarrassed about moving during the call, if something disruptive starts happening near you. You're not plugged in, so you can carry and go without disconnecting. Stuff happens with conference calls, people will get it. The only thing I don't think you noticed was the annoyance. The annoyance might have been telling you something, but we tend to repress annoyance with others. (Or, heck, show off your awesome location by turning around so your group can see it and you can see it in your video background, while keeping an eye on those picnicking schmoes.)

I don't know whether to suggest noise-cancelling headphones. On the one hand, it'd help control input, but on the other, the decreased situational awareness might be a problem. I could see it being a lot worse if the kid came up behind you and you didn't realize he was there, for instance.

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 7/28/2021 at 6:14 PM, milythael said:

I tried a reverse nordic curl.

I've never heard of that one, and it sounds like fun. I'll give it a try tonight. :)

Those weighted balls look like killer exercise.

23 minutes ago, milythael said:

Today is about learning, accepting, and being where I am.  There are things I could do better.  I could prioritize symptom management over view in table selection.  I could recognize symptom escalation earlier.  If I think I could move, then move, etc.  But mostly, I was doing well, and then I wasn't, and that is fine.  This is where I am right now.  Nothing went catastrophically wrong.  This is a win. A little discomfort isn't the end of the world.

So, a productive and instructive day. :) I'm sorry that your beautiful day in the park ended the way it did, but happy that you are not beating yourself up about it.

• Like 2

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38 

3 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

You did well. You handled stuff as it came up. There was nothing that was a "take the exit off the PTSD highway now" sign.

Thank you.

I wouldn't feel embarrassed about moving during the call, if something disruptive starts happening near you. You're not plugged in, so you can carry and go without disconnecting. Stuff happens with conference calls, people will get it. The only thing I don't think you noticed was the annoyance. The annoyance might have been telling you something, but we tend to repress annoyance with others. (Or, heck, show off your awesome location by turning around so your group can see it and you can see it in your video background, while keeping an eye on those picnicking schmoes.)

I wasn't embarrassed about moving during the call.  It was all the stuff scattered around me.  The book.  The notebook for notes.  The two cans of seltzer water.  The pen.  The phone.  All with the slight brain fog of migraine and distraction of group call.  Changing location was a hassle I didn't want to deal with.  I could have.  Even better, I could have just moved to the other side of the table.  Put the water to my back, so all the sounds were coming from my front arc.  The only problem there was that I didn't realize the sounds behind me were bothering me so much until I started doing post mortem on the event.  In the moment, I just knew when it became too much.

I don't know whether to suggest noise-cancelling headphones. On the one hand, it'd help control input, but on the other, the decreased situational awareness might be a problem. I could see it being a lot worse if the kid came up behind you and you didn't realize he was there, for instance.

The kinds of sounds that bother me are not generally the kinds of sounds that noise-canceling headphones are good at.  They would probably help with vehicle sounds, but people sounds and animal sounds not so much.  They usually make human speech clearer, though it is my impression that more recent technology has progressed in this.  I do appreciate the suggestion though.  I actually have a pair of noise cancelling headphones that I use sometimes.

• Like 3

Milythael Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler